Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #961
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

There are i-rock stencils out for using with the i-rock tool, they would be great for making your own pearl flourishes.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #962
Rubber Obsessor

Default God Bless You and Your Family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah636 View Post
So sorry to hear of all your heartaches, most especially for you son's eyesight. Saying a prayer for you and may God keep you close. Hugs
So sorry to hear you have had such troubles recently. Please know that people care and that prayers are being said for you and your family.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #963
Insane Embellisher

DeeAnn, take care, that has got to be hard. People overcome illness and reach new heights, just think of Stephen Hawking, he was in college when he got sick and he is the most famous, well respected scientists of our time. Encourage him and be patient. He needs to deal with this loss, he will feel anger, it is normal, I'd be mad as hell too. He is not mad at you, just at his fate. Encourage his ability. It will make him stronger. We are here for you
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #964
Rubber Obsessor

Coming back to this so I can read all these when I get home!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #965
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you Jah & Lindsay. Hugs to you. I am trying to keep my DS independent through this and positive. That is very hard because none of this right now feels positive. We always knew this day could happen but he got better and the doctors were even surprised. I am going to make a big day for him just to wallow in. I used to do that when he was little and he liked it. He does know how to read Braille, thank gosh. He's a voracious reader and losing his eyesight and not being able to read would kill him. He just got transferred to a different medical school so he could pursue the medical area he wanted to go into. He's absolutely devastated because he worked so hard and he keeps hanging on to me, literally. I am like "Dude you are a big guy, knock it off!" Thank you to everyone who sent PM's too.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #966
Insane Embellisher

DeeAnn,

If your son is in Med school he's a very intelligent young man. This is only a set back. When he gets past this there is no telling what direction God could lead him in and still be in the medical field. I believe that everything happens for a reason and it may be that he will excell in another area of medicine that he hasn't discovered yet. I know you will be the encouragement he needs.

Under my name I listed Psalm 43 because God gave me those verses in a very dark time in my life. Verse 10 says "Be still and know that I am God". In other words He has it under control.

I continue to pray for you.

Hugs,
Judi
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #967
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Thank you Jah & Lindsay. Hugs to you. I am trying to keep my DS independent through this and positive. That is very hard because none of this right now feels positive. We always knew this day could happen but he got better and the doctors were even surprised. I am going to make a big day for him just to wallow in. I used to do that when he was little and he liked it. He does know how to read Braille, thank gosh. He's a voracious reader and losing his eyesight and not being able to read would kill him. He just got transferred to a different medical school so he could pursue the medical area he wanted to go into. He's absolutely devastated because he worked so hard and he keeps hanging on to me, literally. I am like "Dude you are a big guy, knock it off!" Thank you to everyone who sent PM's too.
Oh DeeAnn I'm so sorry to hear this. I think your plan sounds excellent. I'm glad he has transferred to a school that is able to help. My son is on a university campus that shares its site with a deaf school (10% of the enrollment) and it really brings home different abilities (I refuse to use "dis"). My DS is learning ASL because of this, which he never would have done. I know it is early days for your DS but he just has to remember he will have a unique perspective that other doctors won't. He is uniquely special - though I'm positive that right now it quite frankly sucks for him and your family. Keeping you in my thoughts during this time. And if it helps, I believe Stephen Hawking (Motor Neuron Disease) was in university when he was first diagnosed and just look at what he has achieved!

(PS just read Lindsay's post re Stephen Hawking! LOL! - but she is right!)

FWIW I used to work in Oxford, England in the hospitals. The best doctors that came through were the ones that had a struggle - they had a perspective that none of their peers seemed to have.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #968
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you everyone. I am really touched. I know it means a lot to my DS. He was declared legally blind when he was a little boy. He did have some vision. Poor kid had to wear thick glasses. I made sure they were stylin. The doctors said when he hit puberty there might be improvement. We had to wait until late teens but he did get better and even got a driver's license. His eyes deteriorated quickly in the last few weeks. There is nothing the doctors can do.

He's in a really great place. We always thought this could happen so we prepared him. I have friends who are blind that have taken our son under their wings. I am so grateful to them. They know the schools and programs that can take him. They are both successful in their chosen fields. I know he will have a full life. He was my little nightmare kid. One of his friends said he was a nightmare friend too, lol. He worked really hard in the last couple of years to turn his life around.

No make do things from me. I am dong a lot of sketching. I am doing a lot of polymer clay work right now. It's just cute Kawaii things. I am going to start some resin pieces. I have polymer clay make do's I guess.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #969
Insane Embellisher

Default Cheap December Daily Album made in minutes!

Hi folks! I made this yesterday using #4 cone coffee filters. There is a page for each day in December with a tag inside to write journaling in. You can paste photos on the pages themselves. Each page in numbered so you can record what you do each day on each page/tag. As a bonus I tested my brew right filter with a ph butral testing pen it it was ph nutral! here are pics, if you need more how-to there is a video on my blog: I’m like a big furry alien… Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

I like that you can have all of your events organied so if you want to do a proper layout later you have all the info at your fingertips!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #970
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykins View Post
I save all the clear transparency things i can find...report cover like material. I use them for die-cuts or make 4x4 squares and make stamp-a-ma-jig images for each set as I need them. Stamp with stazon and keep them right in the clamshell
What a great idea, I never would have thought to do that.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #971
Die Cut Diva

I've run the clear packaging through the cuttlebug using embossing folders, but I never thought about die cuts, Hmmmmm....
(I love this thread!)
Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #972
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I am taking a quick peek in. I saw the Perfect Pearl Stencil posts. This is what I do I create my own designs using Inkscape or MTC. MTC has a rhinestone function in the software. You can do the same thing using Inkscape and it's free.

Rhinestone designs tutorials- making rhinestone designs Inkscape - Google Search

I cut the designs out on my die cut machine. I use acetate for the stencils so I can reuse them again. I am a big stencil junkie I could probably do three pages of make do tips on stencils, lol.

To apply rhinestones I used to have a toothpick with Aleene's Tack It Over & Over as my own frugal pick up stick. I do a lot of nail art so I have a rhinestone pick up tool I use when I do rhinestone manicures now.

I am sorry I haven't been around lately. I had a large personal hit in my life last month. I met another artist who I think in good intentions meant well but critiqued another artist whose work is similar to mine. Some of you know I have a small art line out. I am not rich or famous, lol. I am good at taking critique but what was said made me question how my art could be perceived and I worry if I am hurting anybody. I need to take some time for retrospect. I am doing a lot better now but it hit me at an emotional time. I am starting some new drawings for a new video game coming out in 2014 and it's not for the faint of heart type game that's why I got shaken up. I know silly. I am excited to be picked as an artist. I worked hard for it. I am trying to get one of my short stories published as a video game too. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

The worst news my son is going blind. He's a young college age kid. He wanted to become a doctor. Nothing can be done for his eyes. He always had problems with his eyesight but he got better as he got older but recently his eyes are failing at a rapid pace. I am trying to be strong for him but you know how us Mommy's get. I am not doing very well when I am not around him. My DH & I are trying to make him safe but still independent. He's frightful right now and rebelling badly. Keep him in your thoughts.

Another one of my furbabies passed away.

I promise I will peek in more. I love the Make do thread a lot. I take a lot of inspiration from it. I am thinking of starting a You Tube channel with my make do techniques after X-mas. My DH thinks it will be good for me to keep my mind off of things.
That's a lot to bear and not always easy to remember "God never gives us more than we can handle". I will add you to my prayers.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #973
Stazon Splitcoast

DeeAnn- It is so hard for parents when we can't fix our children's medical issues. I am thinking about you and your son!

Shayshe- we are fellow Twin Citians. (if that is a word?)

I work in a cafeteria so I save the colored lighter weight cardboard boxes. I cut them down and use them on cards and as protectors for mailing. I love the way empty pop tart boxes look after running them thru my CB.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #974
Rubber Obsessor

SmileyJ - What part of the twin cities? I am just south of St. Paul
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #975
Mad Swapper

I just put up some tags with crepe paper on them on my blog if anyone is interested.
Craftin' Bliss
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #976
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in United Arab Emirates because of my husbands job.

Hi there,
Just wanted to say that I will keep you and your son in my prayers, You are going through a LOT at the moment.

Thinking of you.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #977
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady View Post
I just put up some tags with crepe paper on them on my blog if anyone is interested.
Craftin' Bliss
Those are really cute tags!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #978
Mad Swapper

Thank you! I uploaded another one tonight made with a digital stamp, so to speak!

Also, I wanted a gear stamp for the background of the earth tag, but didn't have one in my stash at home, but discovered that an empty thread spool dipped in brown acrylic paint looked like a faux wheel gear!

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 12-10-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #979
Die Cut Diva

Instead of using dimensionals on a larger card pannel I cut a piece of cardboard to fit and glued it on. It was actually easier because I didn't have to peel that white octagon off 8 times. It gave more height too. Loved it!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #980
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you all for all the kind prayers and words.

Lindsay- I love your book. It's so cute and elegant. My DH has a reusable coffee filter and I drink tea. I am going to have to hunt down some coffee filters.

purplewinkle- love your idea of cardboard. I am going to try that.

No make do's for stamping. I have been making jewelry and working with polymer clay. I did make some of my tools for polymer clay though. I am about ready to make a bottle of Febreeze. There's my make do's, lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #981
Pearl-ExPert

I have two make do's-

Use pens & markers to make digi images of your die cuts. You can cut the images out afterward using your cutter and choice shapes or borders. Example- draw flowers, cut a pretty frame around the flowers.

Sew Easy alternative- Use the decorative stitches on your sewing machine. Bonus- if you can program stitches into your machine you can make unique designs.

If my make do's confused any of you just let me know. You know those crazy people who redecorate their home around the Holidays? I am one of them, lol. I have been redoing all my beading shelves tonight and I just finished my books and small library. I am exhausted. I am probably more confusing than ever writing down tips. DH & I are almost done with this project. We started all of this around Thanksgiving. Actually we did start on Thanksgiving, lol.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #982
Mad Swapper

Here's a prime example of making do, not only with dies, but also with brown grocery bags. . .One Lucky Day: Let the Wrapping Begin!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #983
Matboard Maniac

I use craft paper to wrap gifts. Pick a stamp and an ink and go. Tie with twine I got from our shed. My cat just tried to open one of the gifts. Soooo I'm restamping more craft paper.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #984
Pearl-ExPert

Styx- Your so mean. Why didn't you let your cat open the gift? ROFL! I bet he or she looked so cute trying to open the gift. I bet at the time you didn't think she looked to cute.

I never buy Christmas wrapping paper. I tend to make my own too. I use a lot of pretty fabric. I like to make bags. One year I made all the ladies on my list a beautiful tote bags and then stuck their gifts in the bag. That was a huge hit.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #985
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Styx- Your so mean. Why didn't you let your cat open the gift? ROFL! I bet he or she looked so cute trying to open the gift. I bet at the time you didn't think she looked to cute.

I never buy Christmas wrapping paper. I tend to make my own too. I use a lot of pretty fabric. I like to make bags. One year I made all the ladies on my list a beautiful tote bags and then stuck their gifts in the bag. That was a huge hit.
I want to be YOUR friend!! LOL!!
I make cards for Operation Write Home (OWH)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #986
Mad Swapper

Freezer paper works too! I had a friend show me how to iron pretty tissue paper to the waxy side once.

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 12-22-2012 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: To wish all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #987
Pearl-ExPert

OK, so I needed to very quickly wrap my neighbor's Christmas gift.
I did have a kraft gift bag. No time to get out a Jumbo Wheel, ink to roll a design, so I used the sticky strips from a Christmas SU Simply Scrappin' kit. Applied a few in stripes across the bag-Voila! Just in time!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #988
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampindoe View Post
OK, so I needed to very quickly wrap my neighbor's Christmas gift.
I did have a kraft gift bag. No time to get out a Jumbo Wheel, ink to roll a design, so I used the sticky strips from a Christmas SU Simply Scrappin' kit. Applied a few in stripes across the bag-Voila! Just in time!
How creative!
I make cards for Operation Write Home (OWH)
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #989
Stazon Splitcoast

Christmas cardstock from a bulk pad that I'm not using and got 80% off... cut down and put on craft bags that I picked up on sale. My Auntie actually asked if I had done them and I said yes and she loved them!

I shopped my stash for the presents in the bags - decorated glass blocks.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #990
Pearl-ExPert

I shopped my stash for Christmas bags and decor this year too. My Mom's present ended up so big that I had to buy a roll of wrapping paper. I actually bought a roll of red wrapping paper so I could use it for other things. I will not buy Christmas paper any more. Actually, I am the world's worst wrapper so I use bags, lol. I couldn't make a bag big enough for my Mom's present. To dress it up I used a lot of paper ephemera all over the bag. I used repositionable tape so she could pull off all the ephemera. She was so excited and had fun pulling off everything on her wrapping paper. She does collage art.

I bought her a really nice coffee pot. I did make a bag for her smaller presents.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #991
Stampin' Fool

I especially love the metal art suggestion with the tomato paste tubes.......if only we had those here![/QUOTE]

I found those tubes of tomato paste, but they were so much more expensive, I wouldn't buy them for crafting. As a side note, did you ever get discouraged using just a few tablespoons of tomato paste from a can and have the rest go to waste? I started putting the remainder, in 2 T amounts in zip locks, flattening them as much as possible and then freezing them. No more waste!! When your want to add some tomato goodness to pasta, soup, or sauce, flip it out of the bag frozen. If you let it thaw, it's harder to get every bit.

Jutta.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #992
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta View Post
Quote:
I especially love the metal art suggestion with the tomato paste tubes.......if only we had those here!

I found those tubes of tomato paste, but they were so much more expensive, I wouldn't buy them for crafting. As a side note, did you ever get discouraged using just a few tablespoons of tomato paste from a can and have the rest go to waste? I started putting the remainder, in 2 T amounts in zip locks, flattening them as much as possible and then freezing them. No more waste!! When your want to add some tomato goodness to pasta, soup, or sauce, flip it out of the bag frozen. If you let it thaw, it's harder to get every bit.

Jutta.
That's a good way to use ice cube trays as well - think Nigella Lawson even freezes ingredient portions in ice cube trays then puts them in a larger bag/box to use the tray etc... HTH

FWIW it is worth - drink cans and other foil can be used similarly - some are more pliable than others.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #993
Stampin' Fool

Default Freezing

I've heard of doing that, but have a weency freezer, so I try to make the most of the space by making everything as flat as possible!

Jutta

Last edited by jutta; 12-27-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #994
Rubber Obsessor

I've posted this recipe for stamp cleaner on another thread. I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now and love it. Works on both rubber and clear stamps. I made it for my stamp club as a favor and they loved it. I think I got the recipe on this site somewhere. It works great. FYI, the rose water really is just for scent; I'm sure it would work well without it.

2 cups distilled water
2 TBS glycerine
2 TBS rose water
1 TBS baby wash
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #995
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmunson View Post
I've posted this recipe for stamp cleaner on another thread. I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now and love it. Works on both rubber and clear stamps. I made it for my stamp club as a favor and they loved it. I think I got the recipe on this site somewhere. It works great. FYI, the rose water really is just for scent; I'm sure it would work well without it.

2 cups distilled water
2 TBS glycerine
2 TBS rose water
1 TBS baby wash

Baby wash?! My baby is nearly 40 and I only used soap. What is baby wash, please?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #996
Pearl-ExPert

Baby Wash is liquid soap for babies. I also like to say it's liquid soap for redheads that have fair skin that burns when it touches any harsh products. Guess what category I fall under? !

Here's a link to baby wash- Johnson's Head-to-Toe Baby Wash - 28 oz. : Target. I just did a quick Google search and linked the first one.

I use Equate baby wash from WalMart- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Hai...28-oz/13281712

I really love the Equate baby wash. I got a huge bottle for under $7.00. That is a lot of baby wash that would last a lifetime. I use it to clean my face and make other beauty products too. It makes excellent stamp cleaner. That's why I use such a big bottle.

You can also buy baby wash in the sample section at WM, Target or Kmart. Dollar Tree sells baby wash but I think the quality is watery so I don't like it too much. I heard Dollar General has a nice brand of baby wash too.

I use bmunson's stamp cleaner recipe too. I don't use rose water because I can't find any in my stores. I tell you when I do I am buying a case, lol. I love rose water. Apparently Dollar Tree gets it in from time to time. If anybody has any local stores that sell it I would be grateful for a listing.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #997
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmunson View Post

2 cups distilled water
2 TBS glycerine
2 TBS rose water
1 TBS baby wash
I might have been the one that originally posted this, I have been using it FOR years. It's the faux SU stamp cleaner. The rose water is actually a natural astringent so it does have some cleaning power. Also, if you find it is sudsy when you clean your stamps, feel free to water it down. I used to sell SU years ago and was told at convention to dilute theirs 1 part cleaner to 4 parts water so it really, really is economical to make your own and once you buy the stuff, it will make tons of cleaner and last a long time. Also, the rose water is pretty good at covering up smells on dogs, but not skunk...don't ask how I know.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #998
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady View Post
Here's a prime example of making do, not only with dies, but also with brown grocery bags. . .One Lucky Day: Let the Wrapping Begin!
WOW WOW WOW i love this idea. Thanx for sharing!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #999
Crimping Master

Thanks for the reply, DeeAnn. I'm going into town tomorrow and will try to get all the new things on my list from this site. I love "mixing potions" for things to use around the house and especially in my craft room.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #1000
Pearl-ExPert

jeanne- I love your "mixing potions" phrase. I am stealing it. ! It really made me giggle. I really don't try to be frugal in life I just like mixing up things and seeing what happens, lol. I really love to mix up concoctions in my home. Yes, I was always in trouble during science class.