Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #921
Die Cut Diva

I've been known to post on Facebook when I needed my coworkers to save J C Penney ads for me- the paper is wonderful, glossy and has a nice weight. When they have an ad that particularly grabs me because of the color, I make everybody save it for me. I also save Avon book pages. I like the cloisonne stamping technique, which is done on magazine pages. Now, if I only had time to actually DO the stamping, LOL!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #922
Die Cut Diva

BTW- I also save the packaging from a lot of things like embossing folders and dies- there is often a nice glossy colored backing that can be reused in card making. And I've also used the clear plastic shells from those kind of items and put them through the cuttlebug with folders. It's an unusual look- embossed clear plastic.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #923
Die Cut Diva

UM, temporary hijack of the regular discussion.....

A friend's little girl is collecting Box Tops For Education at school this month- they are having a contest for October. IF anybody has any of the Box Tops they could send, I will give them to Brookelynne to take to school. I currently have a bunch of Ziploc boxes with little squares cut out on the end- I managed to round up 25 for her from products in my cupboards! Let me know if you have any you could send for her, OK? I appreciate it, and her school will, too!

Now, back to other things to do with packaging.....
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #924
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
Not sure what your reason for doing this might be, but I'm sure some Versamark has gotten onto/into my pads when I ink with Versamark and then into my dye ink to make the color embossible. Haven't discovered any problems so far.
I came up with an art technique I want to try. It's one of those things that will be a brilliant success or fail miserably. I will have fun trying. I am really, really sick this week. I had a bad lupus flare up and an ear infection too. I am not thinking clearly. I was thinking I am such a dork today. I can just mix my reinkers with glycerin and make my own stamp pads, lol.

I do make my own pigment pads with gouache or watercolor paints and glycerin.

Thank you for the help.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #925
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierosie View Post
I dilute glycerin,mixed with a tiny drop of water to 're-ink' my versamark pad. when it goes a bit dry.Works perfectly for me.
Also i keep the packaging from dried peas,as the picture of the peas,is great for die cutting leaves..
You then get leaves with different shades of green in them,and i ink the edges too.HTH.Rosie.x
I do this too. I have a separate Versamark pad from my regular embossing pad I use glycerin on. I use my Veramark reinker for my Versamark pad. I read over at Tsukineko site the Versamark pad does watermarking, resist, tone on tone and embossing. I wasn't sure if Versa is made from a different formulation than a regular embossing pad.

As usual I am probably over complicating this, lol. Versamark is normal glycerin. !

Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #926
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
UM, temporary hijack of the regular discussion.....

A friend's little girl is collecting Box Tops For Education at school this month- they are having a contest for October. IF anybody has any of the Box Tops they could send, I will give them to Brookelynne to take to school. I currently have a bunch of Ziploc boxes with little squares cut out on the end- I managed to round up 25 for her from products in my cupboards! Let me know if you have any you could send for her, OK? I appreciate it, and her school will, too!

Now, back to other things to do with packaging.....
I shop at Aldi's. I would really love to help. I took a peek in my cupboard just in case. I couldn't find any.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #927
Mad Swapper

I’m so into this making do thread that I put the keyword “frugal” into our libraries’ catalog search engine and came up with a ton of books with frugal tips. Then I checked them out to see if there were any tips we could use as greeting card makers & scrapbookers. I think our thread has them beat, but here’s a few that I don’t think has been mentioned:

I check out stamping magazines and books from my local library system (mymcpl.org - Mid-Continent Public Library), but I also have found them used at book and thrift stores. Girlfriends also have shared with me and I periodically go through mine and weed and give them away. How do you get your idea fix frugally?

How many of you enter challenges or contests for cool crafting supplies? Actually won anything?

To make template cards, I cut a piece of cardstock in half and then fold like an A2 card. I usually draw my own picture, using the fold as one side or top of the image, so that I know the card will fit into an invitation size envelope. I erase any extra lines before I cut it out and I save the template for the next card in a 3-ring binder notebook document sleeve. I also save a sample of the finished card so I will know next time how I made it up. It’s not hard to sketch out a basic image, but if you don’t have enough confidence in your abilities, then use one of these ideas – use a computer/photocopier to shrink/enlarge clip-art (coloring book; Dover books; computer graphics) or stamped images, cut them out and trace around them, have an artist friend sketch a basic shape for you, use an image cut out from a dollar store birthday or baby banner, trace through a stencil or diecut an image (Note: put the fold just inside one side of the diecut so it cuts it as one piece, not two). I have several template cards in my SCS gallery if you want to have a look-see.

When a colored pencil becomes too short to use comfortably, unscrew the top from the bottom of a used-up ball point pen, remove the insides, and insert the top of the pencil into the bottom part of the ball-point pen. Assuming that people discard pencils when they are only two-thirds used, a substantial sum of money could be saved, over time, by using pencil holders so that most of the remaining one-third of the pencils can be used. You can also line them up to scan to use as a banner on your blog or glue to a picture frame. If the pencils slides around too much inside the pen, insert a cylinder roll of playdough or clay inside, then slide the pencil back in.

Throw a shoebox party. Cheap Fun and you come away with at least one or more cards depending on the number of people that show up. Each person designs a card, makes up a number of blanks, one per person
(hostess’ invitation #s), puts all the supplies needed to make that card in a shoebox and brings the shoebox, food (ie. Think chocolate, fingerfood, snacks), a covered drink & a basic toolbox to the party! I’ve made up to four shoeboxes that get passed around. It is helpful to have small pieces like punchies, brads, eyelets, etc. inside of small pill bottles or ziploc bags in your shoebox so they don’t get lost in the shuffle. One year, I brought my new-to-me gently-used Cuddlebug (my sweet hubbin surprised me with one he purchased on ebay). None of them had purchased one yet and the girls had a blast embossing paper.

I checked out 4 Mark Montano books from the library. One was called The Big-A_ _ Book of Crafts. He dyed black & white prints in tea, then made a frugal postcard out of a magazine subscription card by taping it down with painter’s tape around the edges, painting the inside with tempera paint, then heat embossing a collage of images with gold or silver embossing powder on top of that. He removed the painter’s tape, attached the card to a black layer and signed it. Talk about making do with a magazine subscription card! There was all kinds of other ideas in this one book like paper flowers, decoupaging prints under glass plates & bowls, or on jars, stamping butcher or craft paper for wrapping paper, paper dolls, coasters, playing card trays (this idea would work for flat atc's as well). Another of his books is called “Dollar Store Décor” and “Cosmo Girl Cool Room” and The Big-A_ _ Book of Home Décor. This one also had some other cool ideas like using string wrapped around fabric and spray painted, and silhouettes decoupaged on a wall (think cards) and pierced aluminum tape (this looks really cool in a diecut leaf shape; pierced from back side of tape), using translucent colored plastic folders cut in oogly shapes (think misshapened peanuts & deformed eggs) layered over black oogly circle lines, spun painted circles (know anybody with an electric potter’s wheel or old record turntable?); paint chip strips, squish art (paint between two pieces of glass; but I was thinking of two flat equal sized pieces of packaging acrylic, clipped together and layered on a card) and stamping napkins (either paper or cloth), etc.

One of these frugal books has a chapter on decorating on a shoestring budget. It suggested purchasing rolls of adding machine paper and making your own room border (I found a whole box recently at a thrift shop). I was curious to know if any of you have stamped your own border? Another suggestion was to make a faux wall border using greeting cards, postcards, calendar images, travel brochures, magazine covers, comic book pages, etc. and just line them up one after the another and double face tape them to the wall. Wouldn’t this be cute in your studio?

http://thefrugalcraftyrushdlady.blog...notebooks.html

This is the only place I have difficulty. My posting page keeps adding weird html coding bits. It's driving me crazy having to go back in to edit. Does anybody else have this difficulty?

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 10-20-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #928
Pearl-ExPert

I was just reading ThriftyFun craft newsletter. I came across a great make do article. A lot of the author's ideas were really unique so I thought I would post it here for make do. Here's the link- Craft Tools You Can Make | ThriftyFun. Enjoy.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #929
Crimping Master

Great link, DeeAnn. TFS
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #930
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
You should check out Andy Skinner's gallery He does some amazing altering and finishes!
Thanks. There's some cool stuff in his gallery! I'm gonna have to get the hubbin to take a look-see.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #931
Mad Swapper

Thot these websites might interest you: Going Green Crafters And Artists

Recycling Challenge using tin can labels-due date is Nov. 2, 2012

MerryMade Cards and Crafts: Design Team Card for Unstampabelles Challenge #16 - Recycling
UnstampaBelles Challenges: Unstampabelles Challenge #16 - Recycled or Repurposed (No Stamps)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #932
Cardstock Collector

Default Christmas cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I just remembered something I've done for envelopes. After Christmas, check out the Dollar Stores. They usually have boxes of standard size, all alike Christmas cards. Frequently they put them on sale for as little as 25 cents or 50 cents a box for 20 or so.

You can pitch the cards and use the envelopes.
I would choose my cards according to how much of the card I could recycle for the next year, possible toppers to glitter up, gold or glittery borders to use again. It might be possible to use the entire card by putting a wrapper on it as a base for your own design. Each year, I go through all the cards received, save all the beautiful hand made for posterity, and then decide what I can reuse before putting what is left in the recycling.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #933
Cardstock Collector

Default Lazer or inkjet for colouring with copics etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimont View Post
I love the idea of digis.. and have a question. If I want to color them (prismas & osm or copics) I've heard they have to be printed with a laser printer. Is that right? Will the image bleed if it's an ink jet?

I guess the easiest way to find out is just go do it.. but would also love to hear your thoughts...
You can use inkJet printed images for colouring with alcohol pens such as Promarkers , Copics etc, but you do have to be a little bit patient and allow the images to dry and "set". I do a batch about a week before going on holiday, and i can use water colours or pens while I am away with no bleeding of the printed image.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #934
Cardstock Collector

There are so many wonderful ideas here it will keep me busy for a long time. Thanks to Rush'd Lady for sending me the link. Off to do some more reading.

I think these things have been mentioned but these are a couple of things I do.
Use cereal boxes as thin chipboard or as kraft card for card making. Cut the ribbons off the inside of shoulders from my new tops. Toss all those spare buttons attached to new clothes into my craft collection. Use lettering from magazines to spell things out on cards.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #935
Stazon Splitcoast

i love using tissue paper for altering old candles....

just stamp a pic with the versamark ink on the old tissue paper (the stuff from gifts etc) and then heat set it onto the candle...
Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #936
Insane Embellisher

Default Emossing without a machine

Here is my tip: Embossing without a machine:
1.You can mist paper with water or ink, place in an embossing folder and roll over it a few times with a heavy rolling pin of wine bottle.
2.Use a brass stencil and stylus to emboss cardstock.
3.Use a texture plate, cardstock and a stylus to emboss a full sheet of paper, just move the plate as you go!
I recommend rubbing the back of the paper with waxed paper before embossing with a stylus to help it glide. Also, tape your paper in place when using a stencil or texture plate so the paper does not slip.

Confused? Check out my step by step video: Tutorial: How to Emboss Without a Machine! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Old 10-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #937
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
Here is my tip: Embossing without a machine:
1.You can mist paper with water or ink, place in an embossing folder and roll over it a few times with a heavy rolling pin of wine bottle.
2.Use a brass stencil and stylus to emboss cardstock.
3.Use a texture plate, cardstock and a stylus to emboss a full sheet of paper, just move the plate as you go!
I recommend rubbing the back of the paper with waxed paper before embossing with a stylus to help it glide. Also, tape your paper in place when using a stencil or texture plate so the paper does not slip.

Confused? Check out my step by step video: Tutorial: How to Emboss Without a Machine! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Just in time for today's Ways to Use It Challenge! WT398-Embossing

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #938
Gabfest Goddess

All I can say is Wow reading through the posts what a wealth of information, some I've used myself but lots of new ideas to.

I have trained my boys, hubby, my mum and many friends to collect things for me, these include, the figure 8 plastic shapes off bras for buckles, using nail polish to change colour.
Nail polish for coloring brads paper clips, most things metal if needed.
They come home with boxes, envelopes, ribbons, charms, clean foil from chocs, single earrings, stuff off wedding tables of weddings they've been at and the list goes on...
Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #939
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
BTW- I also save the packaging from a lot of things like embossing folders and dies- there is often a nice glossy colored backing that can be reused in card making. And I've also used the clear plastic shells from those kind of items and put them through the cuttlebug with folders. It's an unusual look- embossed clear plastic.
I think Tim Holtz uses those kind of things too!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #940
Stampin' Fool

Default reusing packaging

Does anyone have any ideas for reusing the plastic packaging that the SU clear blocks come in? I just unpacked them last night and kept all of the boxes. What wasteful packaging!! I use the clamshell stamp boxes for all kinds of things, but need ideas for the block clear plastic packaging. Any ideas??

Jutta
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #941
Mad Swapper

I like keeping my stamps in those clear plastic boxes, what ones I have of SU. In fact, I liked them so much, that I had to go find video tape boxes to emulate the same idea. If you don't mount the stamps on the wooden mounts, they sure hold a lot more rubber.

I found a blog tonight with directions on how to make round paper beads from newspaper. Thot you all might like to see how to make them too! They can be found on this blog. http://www.astorybooklife.com Look down at the bottom of the blog for popular posts--it was posted on Jan. 23, 2008.

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 11-10-2012 at 07:23 PM..
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #942
Rubber Obsessor

subbing
Old 11-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #943
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R
Default Pearl Flourishes

I have been making my own pearl flourishes. I have stamped flourishes on card and then put a layer of clear acetate (as in overhead projector stuff) then dotted over the flourish with liquid pearls. When dry, just cut out closely to the pearl dots. I found that buying one bottle of liquid pearls is about the same as buying a packet of 2 flourishes ready made and the bottle would make dozens.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #944
Glitter Queen

Cut out titles from old magazines to use in your layouts and cards. Take the cards that people send you and cut out the parts that you like best. You can use your punches or your scissors to turn them into embellishments.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #945
Gabfest Goddess

Ferraro Rocher chocolates come in hard clear boxes of all sizes they are good
for storing wooden stamps and you get the fun of eating the chocs first,I'm
given these at Easter and have a few now.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #946
Stampin' Fool

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I try to reuse the ribbon from my hubby's nice dress shirts packaging and Victoria's Secret ribbon is so pretty and pink.

Chipboard is awesome and you can get it for FREE at Michael's. It comes in the 12x12 racks (sometimes) with the individual sheets of pattern paper, and they will just let you have the chipboard.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #947
Insane Embellisher

I love the pearl flourishes idea! I'm going to have to try that one.

I also keep cards and cut out the parts I like to reuse on my cards.

This is such a great thread, and I've gotten so many great ideas. Thank you to all who have contributed!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #948
Matboard Maniac

recently i asked a friend here what to substitute for a molding mat.she gave me several ideas .i was able to complete my project ,anyway i discovered another substitute i could use also.an old leather belt will also work.i put some freezer wrap over it to keep any staining from happening and the leather is amazing for the flowers.thanks to the friend for her help and hope this helps someone else.
br3n
Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #949
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
I have been making my own pearl flourishes. I have stamped flourishes on card and then put a layer of clear acetate (as in overhead projector stuff) then dotted over the flourish with liquid pearls. When dry, just cut out closely to the pearl dots. I found that buying one bottle of liquid pearls is about the same as buying a packet of 2 flourishes ready made and the bottle would make dozens.
I recently saw some stencils at a craft store that were for this very thing, except the holes were punched out in graduating sizes for the pearl paint dots to be squeezed through. My studio floor is ablaze with bling because my butterfingers can't manage to hold onto those itty-bitty crystals. I've even used tweezers and still can't manage, so thot I'd give this a try.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #950
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

I think I saw those stencils too once but haven't seen them since I started to do these flourishes. I will attach a card that I have a flourish on.
Attached Thumbnails
p1010043_by_jan_r.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #951
Rubber Obsessor

Beautiful card.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #952
Gabfest Goddess

For those of you who colour your ribbons with a copic marker do you find that the ribbon goes stuff after colouring or does it depend on the ribbon?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #953
Watercolor Wizard

Yes, ribbon will stiffen up if you colour it with a Copic. I guess the texture of the ribbon in the first place will dictate whether that's a problem or not - a grosgrain is pretty stiff to start off with so you might struggle if it's made stiffer but a lightweight silk or sheer ribbon might actually benefit from a bit more "body".

My blog
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #954
Gabfest Goddess

Stiff not stuff lol.
Thanks for the confirmation, I'm counting on
some of that extra stiffness for some things.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #955
Compulsive Stamper

Sub
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #956
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in United Arab Emirates because of my husbands job.

Awesome!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #957
Mad Swapper

Pretty card! One could make their own stencil too in the graduating sizes, I suppose, if you had different sized hole punch tools. I bought a set like that from Harbor Freight & thot I would use that to make my own.

By the way, someone asked me by PM for a use for crepe paper streamers and I thought of two right away
A card using crepe paper ruffle
How to make a starburst pattern on a card & WOYWW! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

A shrine also utilizing crepe paper ruffles
Diary of a Crafty Chica™: LOVE SHRINE: La Tormenta
Diary of a Crafty Chica™: Love shrines galore!
Diary of a Crafty Chica™: Ofrenda for Steve Irwin
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #958
Pearl-ExPert

I am taking a quick peek in. I saw the Perfect Pearl Stencil posts. This is what I do I create my own designs using Inkscape or MTC. MTC has a rhinestone function in the software. You can do the same thing using Inkscape and it's free.

Rhinestone designs tutorials- making rhinestone designs Inkscape - Google Search

I cut the designs out on my die cut machine. I use acetate for the stencils so I can reuse them again. I am a big stencil junkie I could probably do three pages of make do tips on stencils, lol.

To apply rhinestones I used to have a toothpick with Aleene's Tack It Over & Over as my own frugal pick up stick. I do a lot of nail art so I have a rhinestone pick up tool I use when I do rhinestone manicures now.

I am sorry I haven't been around lately. I had a large personal hit in my life last month. I met another artist who I think in good intentions meant well but critiqued another artist whose work is similar to mine. Some of you know I have a small art line out. I am not rich or famous, lol. I am good at taking critique but what was said made me question how my art could be perceived and I worry if I am hurting anybody. I need to take some time for retrospect. I am doing a lot better now but it hit me at an emotional time. I am starting some new drawings for a new video game coming out in 2014 and it's not for the faint of heart type game that's why I got shaken up. I know silly. I am excited to be picked as an artist. I worked hard for it. I am trying to get one of my short stories published as a video game too. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

The worst news my son is going blind. He's a young college age kid. He wanted to become a doctor. Nothing can be done for his eyes. He always had problems with his eyesight but he got better as he got older but recently his eyes are failing at a rapid pace. I am trying to be strong for him but you know how us Mommy's get. I am not doing very well when I am not around him. My DH & I are trying to make him safe but still independent. He's frightful right now and rebelling badly. Keep him in your thoughts.

Another one of my furbabies passed away.

I promise I will peek in more. I love the Make do thread a lot. I take a lot of inspiration from it. I am thinking of starting a You Tube channel with my make do techniques after X-mas. My DH thinks it will be good for me to keep my mind off of things.

Last edited by lylacfey; 11-28-2012 at 11:36 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #959
Gabfest Goddess

I did the methylated spirits on the stayzon ink pad trick, OMD that was such a great hint I've not used it due to the stickiness but couldn't bring myself to throw the pad away.
want2craft likes this post.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #960
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I am sorry I haven't been around lately. I had a large personal hit in my life last month. I met another artist who I think in good intentions meant well but critiqued another artist whose work is similar to mine. Some of you know I have a small art line out. I am not rich or famous, lol. I am good at taking critique but what was said made me question how my art could be perceived and I worry if I am hurting anybody. I need to take some time for retrospect. I am doing a lot better now but it hit me at an emotional time. I am starting some new drawings for a new video game coming out in 2014 and it's not for the faint of heart type game that's why I got shaken up. I know silly. I am excited to be picked as an artist. I worked hard for it. I am trying to get one of my short stories published as a video game too. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

The worst news my son is going blind. He's a young college age kid. He wanted to become a doctor. Nothing can be done for his eyes. He always had problems with his eyesight but he got better as he got older but recently his eyes are failing at a rapid pace. I am trying to be strong for him but you know how us Mommy's get. I am not doing very well when I am not around him. My DH & I are trying to make him safe but still independent. He's frightful right now and rebelling badly. Keep him in your thoughts.

Another one of my furbabies passed away.
So sorry to hear of all your heartaches, most especially for you son's eyesight. Saying a prayer for you and may God keep you close. Hugs