Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree187Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #841
Pearl-ExPert

My DH went to Lowe's today. We go like twice a year at the most. With my DH in construction we don't really use Lowe's. I saw PVC pipe $1.86 for dauber size. It was about a 8ft pole. I can't get over how big Lowe's is. I was done shopping by the time I walked in the store. I like small stores, lol. I admire all who shop at Lowe's regularly. It's just huge and confusing.

My silicone glue disappeared in a red toolbox. I don't own a red toolbox. I know a culprit who does. My DH said the rabbit did it. My poor bunny gets blamed for all my DH's thievery. I bought another tube at Big Lots today. I got a large tube for $2.30. I hope that helps for anybody looking for a price point on the glue. That is for a 10.1 ounce size.

I think this is the saw tool you need- 6 Piece HSS Saw Blade with Mandrel Set. Don't quote me on that, lol. I am pretty sure it's close. You can probably reference it at Harbor Freight and the employees will steer you in the right direction. They might have a good idea how to remove those knobs from your VCR cases that don't involve a dremel or something lower cost. I buy my double sided tape out of Harbor Freight. I got a big roll that has lasted me a long time. Don't forget to take coupons to HF.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #842
Mad Swapper

My hubbin and I went to True Value Hardware and Harbor Freight this last weekend. He purchased a diamond bit cutting blade for his dremel (cheapest dremel tool I saw at True Value was $49.00). While we were at Harbor Freight, he found this kit called a Chicago Electric Rotary Tool Kit #68986 (80 piece set) for $10.49. I didnít realize that ďdremelĒ was a brand name. I just thought it was the name of the kind of tool it was. Itís smaller than my husbandís dremel, but it fits my hand perfectly.

Okay, I experimented with it. The first post in the VCR box neatly broke the kitís blade in half, so I went to get the other blades we bought for my husbandís dremel tool and one of them worked! (Dee Ann's blades look like them). Yah who! Now Iím in business and will cut those puppies off the 50 boxes I bought for my stamps!

By the way, are there any other things I can use this new little gadget for?

Back when I homeschooled, friends told me about a teacherís resource center at a childrenís museum in the city where businesses such as printers and envelope companies, commercial card makers, paint companies, and other manufacturers could donate ends of paper, misprints, wrapping paper, wallpaper, wrinkled ribbon in bags, etc. We, the customers, could also donate items such as toilet tissue rolls, old magazines and calendars, baby food jars, tissue boxes and made crafts from those items, etc. It was/is a crafterís paradise and helps fund the childrenís museum by selling the donated supplies cheap. I found empty microfilm spools there (narrow/wide) for the wrinkled ribbon and spent several hours in front of the TV wrapping ribbon around the spools which helped ďironĒ out the wrinkles. Iím an official hoarder of crafting supplies anyway and when I had/have too much of a good thing, Iíd go check out the Teacherís Resource Center for new additions with a bag in hand to donate.

I save those tiny sample ice cream spoons (baby spoons would work also) to spoon embossing powder over my projects. Iíve heard washed popsicle sticks work also. Good for separating glitter colors too on a project!

I save my husbandís nut cannisters with the plastic pop-on lid, wash them out to make banks and gift boxes with them. I carefully peel the paper label off the side and use that for a template for the new paper cover. Be sure to add ĹĒ to overlap the end. For Easter last year, I made about 10-15 or so for my Sunday School kids as Easter baskets with foil pipe cleaner handles. I wrapped them in pastel decorative paper and made those scored medallions for the sides (picture on blog). They were a big hit!

Iíve used washed margarine tubs with snap-on lids to carry a few spools of ribbon with me to my girlfriendís craft days. Keeps them from unraveling while jostling in my wheeled suitcase that I bought at a garage sale for $2.00.

Lindsay, thanks for the great idea! I will ask my Pastor if I may use our churchís office computer sometime during the week to watch the videos on. Tim Holtz also has videos that I would like to watch and take notes on.

By the way, Lindsay, I was looking at your improved office. Nice! Is that a cabinet wall or the furnace behind all your ink pads? I hope itís not a furnace as you may have to move your desk over about 18 inches to the right. By law, thatís the clearance a furnace needs to have around it. My dad was a heating and airconditioning serviceman and I remember the rants he used to have. Itís for your protection not to have anything combustible next to a furnace. We wouldnít want all your pretty toys to go up in smoke or melt. The other one he used to gripe about was people putting furniture over air duct vents.

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 08-23-2012 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: addled brain
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #843
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady View Post
And last, but not least, where does one find “fuller’s earth?” On another craft forum, I saw where someone used fuller’s earth to make antistatic embossing buddies. They said cornstarch or talcum powder will scratch glossy cardstock.
I did a search for Fuller's Earth some months ago, and ended up ordering from www.mountainroseherbs.com
Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #844
Pearl-ExPert

Dremels you can use for EVERYTHING! Type Dremel crafts in Google and you should find something that will fit your artists niche. My DH is always buying bits for our Dremel. I just bought an Archimedes drill and he was eyeing the bits for the Dremel. I told him hands off, lol. My DH & I love our dremels.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #845
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Dremels you can use for EVERYTHING!
^what she said!

Lots of people who are into altering use them for things like drilling holes in dominoes when they're making pendants, you can get (or make) polishing/buffing wheels which are useful if you do polymer clay work and want to buff your finished pieces, I've used mine to enlarge the hole in a wooden bead when I wanted to thread a double cord through etc, etc. Any place you think something like "what I could use right now is a tiny drill" is a place to use your Dremel-type tool!

My blog
Old 08-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #846
Mad Swapper

Fullers earth ought to be available from pharmacy's.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #847
Insane Embellisher

Delores, it is a vintage pin ball machine behind my inkpads The furnace is on the other side of the basement between hubbys shop and workout area
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #848
Stazon Splitcoast

ACK! I got my CIS systems and one is fine and working. The other I opened the package and there is ink everywhere. It seems as though the ink is coming from the chip/head. Should I be concerned? I'm contacting the seller for advice but thought I would post here in the meantime.

ETA I should add that of course it is for the printer that is packed up ready to start its life in the dorm... Guess we can unpack if necessary... *sigh*

Last edited by RiverIsis; 08-23-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Old 08-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #849
Mad Swapper

Thank you everybody for viewing my stuff and responding to my questions! You are so patient! Now onto more ideas . . .

Having trouble with scissors getting sticky? Run the blades across an embossing pad before cutting that sticky tape and no more gunk!

The first year I used stamped brown grocery bags to wrap my gifts in, my mother-in-law offered to buy me some wrapping paper! Now, I think the relatives are used to seeing their gifts come in all different kinds of package wraps. One year I used a piece of full-sized cardstock as a sewing pattern and cut out rectangles of scrap red & green cotton fabric to make a draw string bags for gifts and sewed them up. The gift tags were brown tagboard gingerbread men tied to the ribbon drawstrings. Another year, I purchased old round tins in graduating sizes at thrift stores and spray painted them to look like snowmen heads – the largest bottom cookie/biscuit tin was sprayed white, and the lid and the next size smaller tin was painted black for his hat. Then I hot-glued Christmas ribbon around the bottom of the top tin for a hatband. I also added sparkly white pom-poms in a smile, an orange pom-pom for his nose and large black buttons for eyes. And then I stuck on a black sticky-backed velcro square between the layers, so the “stove of the hat” would stay on. That was everyone’s favorite “wrap.”

At church, the stewards asked me one year to design a bucket to collect money donations for the Pastors’ gifts. I took a large clean restaurant-sized tin-can, wrapped it in a brown grocery bag, then hot-glued Christmas ribbon at the top and bottom of the can. Next I glued on a large snowman that I cut out of a commercial card to the “front” and added glitter glue snowflakes. Then I punched out two holes on either side for a wire coat-hanger handle with a sheet-metal punch (Harbor Freight), inserted the ends and pinched them closed with a pair of pliers. I think I also added big ribbon bows to either side of the handles with floral wire. It came out really cute! That was back in the days before I knew about paint-cans.

I saw a craft idea recently about using embossed wallpaper that was “antiqued” with rusty-red paint wrapped around tin cans for desktop pencil storage. So if you don’t have the embossed wallpaper, but do have a Cuddlebug, one could use an embossing folder to make their own can wrap out of a piece of white cs cut lengthwise and highlighted with ink to make elegant holders. Attach with hot-glue or double face tape.

An inexpensive card front can be made for gardening friends if you purchase seed packets on those end of the season sales. I’ve seen them as cheap as 5 to 10 cents a package. Either use as is or open up carefully at the back and attach to card front, or carefully tear off the top to use as pockets.

If you don’t have access to plastic canvas to line up holes, use the green lid of a Healthy Choice microwave pasta meal (my hubbin likes to take these to work for lunch). I keep a few around along with the clear bottoms. I’ve used them for bug barns, lacing lid “cards” (knot an extra long shoelace at one end and glue) for wee ones, watercolor paint brush water bowls, traveling snack boxes for my dog, etc.

I saw a cool teen scrapbook page spread the other day – they had cut out all the brand name clothing tags from the necks & waists of their teen’s clothing and stapled it in rows on the paper for one side of a spread.

I have a wooden brayer that I bought at a garage sale for a quarter that’s great for “ironing” folds on several cards at once. I’ve also used the back of the spoon bowl to “iron” those thin aluminum cannister peel-off safety lids.

Don’t have the right size die-cut? Use those packaged die-cut shaped notepads from the dollar store.

Have you dyed paper or fabric with Koolaid powder mixed with a little water? It stains really well. I’ve made my own spray inks using about 30 drops of reinkers to one 2 oz spray makeup bottles of water. Shake to mix.

Do any of you watch FREE digital TV? That’s what we have and I love these shows = Wendy Russell’s “She’s Crafty;” and CreateTV.com on channel 19.3. That’s the third channel on our PBS.org network. For awhile there was a scrapbook show. Also Vicki Payne with stained glass & decorating shows, the Katie Brown workshop, Donna Dewberry, and there is also the Antiques Roadshow, Flea Market Warrior, History Detectives, Mystery and Roadside Revelations on the other PBS stations. We also are die-hard British Comedy Hour fans!

When my hubbin & I were looking at comb binders for a church directory project (we never did get one, he said they were too expensive), the sales clerk told us she had made a notebook for her nephew for school. He loved Captain Crunch cereal at that time and she cut out the front and back of the large box to make the covers of the notebook. For the inside pages, she used the Big Chief tablet paper and she said he loved it!

I have to tell you ladies about my former paper piercer. I used a homemade quilling tool which was a long needle glued (E-6000) into the end of a pencil-sized dowel rod. I was at a shoebox party and while I was using it, it got stuck in some chipboard and I tugged on it really hard to get it loose. Well, the dowel rod suddenly let go, the needle went flying zing across the path of our hostess’ 3 yr old granddaughter’s face who had just at that precise moment walked up beside me at the table and stuck in the wall. Talk about almost giving several people heart attacks, so I don’t recommend using homemade tools around children anymore, but purchasing one of those one-piece steel piercers. It’s worth its price in gold as far as safety goes.

What do you all use for a laminator? Hot or cold, which do you like best? I found an old cold-press Xyron 900 machine at a thrift store for $15.00 and it still had some lamination film inside which I used and used from for my Sunday School class, but now it’s all gone. I noticed Joann’s has refills for $50.00 for the new improved Xyron 900 machine, so if I use a coupon, I can buy a new machine, which I hate the thought of when I still have the old, perfectly good machine that just needs a refill. I can still use the old machine, because I found a magnet sheet insert in another thrift store, but I’ll be at the same crossroads when that’s gone. Sigh!

And last, but not least, I LOVE books, so cringe when people use books, old accounting books, vintage newspapers, white pages or sheet music to make background paper. A lot of that old and complete sheet music, shoestring budget homeschoolers would dearly love to purchase from you, for their children’s music lessons, not to mention the historical value of some of it (check ebay). Old written account books or early telephone directories may have historical value to a genealogy nut – for example, I would love to have something personal of my third-great grandfather’s like his family Bible, his pulpit, or a hymnal, etc. Rev. Martin White was a Baptist circuit rider among other occupations and lived during the Border War era, but alas I only have public documents to record his life. Our son would have loved to donate his textbooks to my paper collection, but I resold most of them. Some old textbooks, 50 years or older also have historical value to collectors & schoolhouse living history museums. If you like the looks of the vintage stuff, color copy first. I found a bunch of vintage valentines at a flea market recently that I plan to use the images in just that manner in one of my scrapbooks.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #850
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
And last, but not least, I LOVE books, so cringe when people use books, old accounting books, vintage newspapers, white pages or sheet music to make background paper...
There's a business local to me that makes crafty stuff from recycled elements, offers workshops and sells some supplies. One of the things they offer is "ephemera" packs. Books that are beyond hope in terms of resale value (usually damaged in some way) have the sound pages taken out and put into mixed packages for sale. The packs are quite inexpensive and it's a great way to get the text paper look without paying for scrapbooking papers (unlikely to be acid-free, of course but fine for cardmaking etc). It also means those books that don't have any commercial value are not going into landfill - win/win!

My blog
Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #851
Pearl-ExPert

Cleaning scissors I use rubbing alcohol and a baby wipe. I do this for my die cutting spatulas too. Electronic Die cutting girls/guys know how icky our prized spatulas get.

Die cutting spatulas- You don't have to buy the ones made by the company. You can use art palette knives and cake decorating spatulas. I constantly recommend one of the thinner art palette knives for our finer detail cuts. I have two spatulas I use constantly. A fat one and thin one. I own both plastic and metal palette knives since I paint. I recommend the metal over plastic. I have tried both. Plastic damaged or bent my cuts.

My DH made me a quilling tool and paper piercer. We cut the tip off a needle eye and carefully glued (sp?) it too a pen cap. I love it because I have tiny hands. I have used a commercial paper piercer before & it was hard for me to maneuver.

The paper piercer. DH carefully glued (sp?) a needle inside an old ballpoint pen. I love it. The piercer has a protective cap too since it was an old pen. I just received as an early b-day gift the MM's tool kit add on that has the metal paper piercer included. I was so thrilled to get that kit. I have all my favorite paper tools at hand now.

I have the old Duck Laminator that WalMart use to sale. DH & I love our laminator. I know we are geeks. We love our dremel and laminator, lol.

I tear up books too and save all the unusual ephemera. I think one of my favorite things about my studio is my ephemera collection.

I was carving a stamp tonight with a cuticle trimmer. Here's a tutorial- Obsessively Stitching: Make Your Own Rubber Stamps!

I love my cuticle trimmer over the lino tools. Seriously. I have better control. It's less dangerous. I do have high end tools though because I do nail art. My cuticle pusher is more sturdier than a lino cutter. I usually buy two of each tool for nail art and my crafting. Don't worry if you get a manicure from me I am not using a cuticle pusher I carved stamps with.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #852
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
ACK! I got my CIS systems and one is fine and working. The other I opened the package and there is ink everywhere. It seems as though the ink is coming from the chip/head. Should I be concerned? I'm contacting the seller for advice but thought I would post here in the meantime.

ETA I should add that of course it is for the printer that is packed up ready to start its life in the dorm... Guess we can unpack if necessary... *sigh*
I would be concerned. It sounds like the printer head either had a small rip or the company overfilled. Leaking not good. Keep us updated on what the seller said.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #853
Insane Embellisher

In reply to Delores (Rush'd Lady)
I saw a cheap laminator at ABC distributing, the machine was $20 and you can get 100 pouches 4"x6"-8.5"x11" for $5 I thought about getting it! I won a Creatopia from MyCraftChannel and you can buy a laminating cartridge but one cartridge is $40!?! and itr is only 40' long so I thought about reusing the cartridge part of the adhesive roller when it is done to make my own, besides, I hat to toss the wasteful peice of plastic the adhesive comes on, I wish you could just replace the rolls.

I on the other had have no problem defacing a book for my art, I can grab old book at the library for 25 cents, let's face it, not all books are destined to be time honored litereature, why would I pay $1 to color copy a page from a 25cent book. That's just me
Old 08-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #854
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I would be concerned. It sounds like the printer head either had a small rip or the company overfilled. Leaking not good. Keep us updated on what the seller said.
Company asked for low res pictures. Now working that out. Me and my photoeditting software have a love/hate relationship at times. They have a good write up on ebay so fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
pixma-ciss-issue-1.jpg  

Last edited by RiverIsis; 08-24-2012 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: add photo
Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #855
Matboard Maniac

There are so many wonderful ideas in this thread. I think all the shortcuts I know of have been mentiioned already. I do like to shop though for crafting things in my hardware store too. Silver pipe repair tape gives a fantastic look when run through one's embossing folder and to add to the card, you just remove the backing and it is sticky and ready to adhere.

Here is my Flickr url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vangerhofer/
Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #856
Matboard Maniac

Years ago I had a photo taken with my old camera that was very poor but still had a lot of interesting colors in it. I used that photo as a background for a card. And, what was left was punched out into different shapes. So even double exposed photos or blurry ones can be still made useful.

Here is my Flickr url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vangerhofer/
Old 08-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #857
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
My hubbin and I went to True Value Hardware and Harbor Freight this last weekend. He purchased a diamond bit cutting blade for his dremel (cheapest dremel tool I saw at True Value was $49.00). While we were at Harbor Freight, he found this kit called a Chicago Electric Rotary Tool Kit #68986 (80 piece set) for $10.49. I didnít realize that ďdremelĒ was a brand name. I just thought it was the name of the kind of tool it was. Itís smaller than my husbandís dremel, but it fits my hand perfectly.

Okay, I experimented with it. The first post in the VCR box neatly broke the kitís blade in half, so I went to get the other blades we bought for my husbandís dremel tool and one of them worked! (Dee Ann's blades look like them). Yah who! Now Iím in business and will cut those puppies off the 50 boxes I bought for my stamps!

By the way, are there any other things I can use this new little gadget for?

Back when I homeschooled, friends told me about a teacherís resource center at a childrenís museum in the city where businesses such as printers and envelope companies, commercial card makers, paint companies, and other manufacturers could donate ends of paper, misprints, wrapping paper, wallpaper, wrinkled ribbon in bags, etc. We, the customers, could also donate items such as toilet tissue rolls, old magazines and calendars, baby food jars, tissue boxes and made crafts from those items, etc. It was/is a crafterís paradise and helps fund the childrenís museum by selling the donated supplies cheap. I found empty microfilm spools there (narrow/wide) for the wrinkled ribbon and spent several hours in front of the TV wrapping ribbon around the spools which helped ďironĒ out the wrinkles. Iím an official hoarder of crafting supplies anyway and when I had/have too much of a good thing, Iíd go check out the Teacherís Resource Center for new additions with a bag in hand to donate.

I save those tiny sample ice cream spoons (baby spoons would work also) to spoon embossing powder over my projects. Iíve heard washed popsicle sticks work also. Good for separating glitter colors too on a project!

I save my husbandís nut cannisters with the plastic pop-on lid, wash them out to make banks and gift boxes with them. I carefully peel the paper label off the side and use that for a template for the new paper cover. Be sure to add ĹĒ to overlap the end. For Easter last year, I made about 10-15 or so for my Sunday School kids as Easter baskets with foil pipe cleaner handles. I wrapped them in pastel decorative paper and made those scored medallions for the sides (picture on blog). They were a big hit!

Iíve used washed margarine tubs with snap-on lids to carry a few spools of ribbon with me to my girlfriendís craft days. Keeps them from unraveling while jostling in my wheeled suitcase that I bought at a garage sale for $2.00.

Lindsay, thanks for the great idea! I will ask my Pastor if I may use our churchís office computer sometime during the week to watch the videos on. Tim Holtz also has videos that I would like to watch and take notes on.

By the way, Lindsay, I was looking at your improved office. Nice! Is that a cabinet wall or the furnace behind all your ink pads? I hope itís not a furnace as you may have to move your desk over about 18 inches to the right. By law, thatís the clearance a furnace needs to have around it. My dad was a heating and airconditioning serviceman and I remember the rants he used to have. Itís for your protection not to have anything combustible next to a furnace. We wouldnít want all your pretty toys to go up in smoke or melt. The other one he used to gripe about was people putting furniture over air duct vents.
Just be careful with a generic dremel, my husband bought me one and it broke right away. Sometimes you get what you pay for I guess.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #858
Stazon Splitcoast

Working on upcycling a childhood sweater into a pillow for my university going son today. Just want to plan out a pattern as I want to make use of as much of the material as possible (pockets?)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #859
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Company asked for low res pictures. Now working that out. Me and my photoeditting software have a love/hate relationship at times. They have a good write up on ebay so fingers crossed.
That printer head is a mess. Your picture turned out great. It looks like printer head broke in transit. The seller might have an idea how to fix it. I bet they will replace it.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #860
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Working on upcycling a childhood sweater into a pillow for my university going son today. Just want to plan out a pattern as I want to make use of as much of the material as possible (pockets?)
You can use the pockets to make a pouch to hold something like an iPod, small tools, smart phone. If you can do amigurumi you can make a small creature. If you want to make something for your son you can find zombie, Star Wars and gaming patterns in ami.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #861
Stazon Splitcoast

love all your ideas ...........
Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #862
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That printer head is a mess. Your picture turned out great. It looks like printer head broke in transit. The seller might have an idea how to fix it. I bet they will replace it.
I hope they do. Thanks for the feedback - I'm just naive about these things and what they are supposed to look like. At the moment I have faith they will do the right thing. My other system is up and running great!!! so fingers crossed.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #863
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You can use the pockets to make a pouch to hold something like an iPod, small tools, smart phone. If you can do amigurumi you can make a small creature. If you want to make something for your son you can find zombie, Star Wars and gaming patterns in ami.
I will keep the Amigurumi in mind. He is driving me slightly crazy as he doesn't want anything novelty - wanted to get him a cuddly toy but he is balking at that. In the end I did a medium sized pocket and had to use the bottom ribbing of the sweater to add texture and centralize the pattern. I have taken pictures (of the process) and plan on blogging them in the next few weeks. He came in as I was doing the final stitching and I think he was genuinely touched.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #864
Mad Swapper

Did you all read Lindsayís article in the Halloween issue of Scrap & Stamp Arts magazine? Her honeycomb template! Well done!

And oh, dear, they published my Inklings tip despite my request not to when I ran into the difficulty with the HARD posts in my newest batch of VCR boxes. Oops! By the way, I have all 50 boxes finished and stamps are impatiently awaiting their turn to rest inside. Now itís on to labeling the contents. Thank you all for your suggestions. You were very helpful.

Next card offerings on my blog = a drugstore sack design, security envelope paper, a tea dolly, and a confetti shaker card.

Some of the Missouri Conservation Department Stations have FREE classes and each quarter they send you a newsletter with the calendar of classes they are offering that quarter. Like, for instance, I took a nature printmaking class (see attached photo below) and learned how to paint a metal tray and leaves which I thought that I might translate to a card. Itís the same place I learned how to make homemade blender paper (directions on my blog). The two classes that looked interesting to me this quarter is a Camo T-shirts Printmaking class using leaves, grasses and textile inks and Weaving with Nature. At another station, their class is called Natural Tie Dye, how to use plants and other natural materials for dyes and crafts.

One has to make the most of the opportunities for freebies and low cost alternatives everywhere you go, like for instance, to get FREE paper, look at the flyer hand-outs (are they printed on one side? If so, you have a sheet of layering paper for a card) and magazines that hang around the front door at your local grocery or favorite restaurant (faux cloisonnť technique; punched flowers). If you go to your state fair, how many freebies can you find? Formerly a homeschooling mom and until recently, a Sunday School teacher, I was loaded up with hat templates, pens and pencils for prizes, free coloring sheets, free maps, when I mentioned that at most of the booths, like the state agricultural association, the conservation dept., state highway dept, state tourist board, etc. Iíve been known to pick up coloring sheets from our library they keep on hand for kids when I saw something I liked. When you purchase something, do you think about its possibilities in your crafting as you remove the packaging before you toss it in the bin? I love swaps also Ė my crafting girlfriends and I trade goodies all the time. Most of us go junking and will call and say, this so and so place has what youíve been looking for. . . When one of us hits the local crafting shops, weíll tear off those FREE instruction sheets and save them for each other if we see something that we know the other will like.

Along the lines of making do with what you have, have you personally written any 2 or more lines poetry for the inside of your cards? Iíd love to have you drop in and share what you have written in my thread (see siggie below for link).
Attached Thumbnails
natureprintmaking.jpg  

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 09-01-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #865
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a lot to catch up with on this thread....lol
Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #866
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to Jill with a G

While I was checking out at Walmart the other day, they had those silicone gel hot pads for trivets. It had a honeycomb pattern on it. I bought it for under $1.00, and it makes a terrific honeycomb stamp! I cut it into pieces and use it for art journaling too!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #867
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my gosh Jill I saw those trivets this morning when my DH & I were making a pizza run. It was a long day, lol. My DH almost bought one for a project he had in mind. Thank you for sharing that idea.

No tips to share today. I got a Playstation Portable and a ton of games for my B-day. I am on a gaming high right now. All I can think of is frugal gaming, lol. I wanted a PSP so bad it's like b-day girls receiving a box full of Nesties type happiness. I hope all the B-day girls get that wish if it's on their list.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #868
Insane Embellisher

thanks for reading my article Delores
Old 08-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #869
Stampin' Fool

Default Homemade Daubers

Finally got around to asking DH if he had any PVC tubing in his shop. He came up with a short length, cut it up for me and I made homemade daubers using makeup sponges! I got the sponges at the dollar store, 28 in one pack now I need more tubing!! (Sorry about the fuzzy pic)
Attached Thumbnails
homemade-daubers.jpg  
I make cards for Operation Write Home (OWH)
Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #870
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiejane929 View Post
Finally got around to asking DH if he had any PVC tubing in his shop. He came up with a short length, cut it up for me and I made homemade daubers using makeup sponges! I got the sponges at the dollar store, 28 in one pack now I need more tubing!! (Sorry about the fuzzy pic)
Love your daubers! How did you get the makeup sponges so nice and round? My daubers (store bought) have a "stopper" to keep the foam from pushing through during use. How do you keep yours from doing that? We have all sizes of PVC pipe around here, so I'm really interested.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #871
Matboard Maniac

Is anyone familiar with the little pocket posh books? They are 4 in. by 6 in. with cute covers and stiched in pages-about 60 per book. I use the sudoku ones but they are available for all kinds of puzzle games. I keep thinking there must be something to do with them besides just throw them away when the puzzles are all filled in. Any thoughts?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #872
Mad Swapper

You could buy the same sort of PVC tubing from Aquatic stores- it looks like the type of tubing for connecting to fishtank filters/pumps.It comes in different widths too, so you could make different sized daubers. Great idea!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #873
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
Love your daubers! How did you get the makeup sponges so nice and round? My daubers (store bought) have a "stopper" to keep the foam from pushing through during use. How do you keep yours from doing that? We have all sizes of PVC pipe around here, so I'm really interested.
I tried sticking the thicker end in first but could not keep the corners in so I folded the smaller in up and stuck them in sideways. (That probably makes no sense, I will have to take a pic.) As for the stopper, I did not use one. I usually stick my finger in the end of a dauber when I use it so I guess I am the stopper! LOL! I gave one a test daub and they seem to work really well.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #874
Insane Embellisher

love the daubers!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #875
Stazon Splitcoast

I used some tiny plastic feet from a lawn chair..folded my makeup sponge sideways and tried to stuff it in! When I realized the ends just wouldn't stay I wound a small elastic around the ends to hold them in place and it fit right in smooth as silk.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #876
Crimping Master

Thanks for the answers to how to get the makeup sponges in, but I still can't picture it. Are the sponges you are using the triangular shaped ones? Don't know how they come out rounded. The elastic wrap sounds like a good idea to hold it. Will have to play to see if I can get the rounded effect.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #877
Pearl-ExPert

Would this tutorial help for rounded daubers- The Happy Card Encouragement Factory: Make Your Own Ink Daubers. That's the only round dauber tutorial I could think of.

Margaret- I get the posh books. Ideas you could carefully remove the pages and make a cute memo pad. Use the covers as cardstock to make punch out shapes. Use the covers for ATC cards or inchies.

I might receive a few of the posh books for my B-day this week. I don't have a book on hand right now. I will look at the cover and see if anything else comes to mind. My loved ones buy me a lot of puzzle books because I am addicted.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #878
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Would this tutorial help for rounded daubers- The Happy Card Encouragement Factory: Make Your Own Ink Daubers. That's the only round dauber tutorial I could think of.

Margaret- I get the posh books. Ideas you could carefully remove the pages and make a cute memo pad. Use the covers as cardstock to make punch out shapes. Use the covers for ATC cards or inchies.

I might receive a few of the posh books for my B-day this week. I don't have a book on hand right now. I will look at the cover and see if anything else comes to mind. My loved ones buy me a lot of puzzle books because I am addicted.
YES! That is exactly how I folded mine! Narrow end to fat end and then stuffed them in there. Thanks so much for finding this, I was waiting for DH and I to have the same day off of work to take more pics since I needed both hands to do the stuffing.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #879
Crimping Master

Quote:

Thank you. I get it now! They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #880
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Happy Birthday.