Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #761
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I do not miss Kansas Summers. It's just dry, miserable and more miserable. My heart goes out to you. I told my husband the other day in Kansas you can actually see the heat.

I lived in Topeka, Wichita, & Paola. All my family lives in Wichita, Emporia, Coffee County Kansas, Lyon County Kansas & around Winfield. If it's a small town in Lyon or Coffee County I have family there, lol.
We used to drive down to Winfield once a month, to dance with some friends who did Irish set dancing in their home. I miss set dancing. (they retired, and travel too much for a regular group anymore, dang it!)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #762
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I actually do know how to make a Scor-Pal free or cheap. It's one of our Lindsay's tutorials, lol. Seriously! This is a really great tutorial. Here you go:
Make a scoring board for free! ę Thefrugalcrafterís Weblog

I have a Scor-it and a MS ScoreBoard. Both were gifts so they were both technically free.
thanks for sharing the link! The free board worked out great for me but you know, the owner of the scor-pal company emailed me after I posted it and sent me a scor-pal for free, she is really sweet and I love my scor-pal too! Either way, it is so much easier than a ruler and bone folder and it workds great too! For my free board I used a scrap of paneling...actually it was a free paneling sample from the lumber yard, they will give them away when it a pattern is discontinued so check there first
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #763
Insane Embellisher

faux postage for cards

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #764
Cardstock Collector

Default DIY Foam Dimensionals

I just picked up some foam sheets at the Dollar Tree (32 per pack) and ran a couple thru my Xyron, twice, so they have adhesive on both sides. Now I have colored pop dots, any size I want. AND I can make black ones! I am sure someone has posted this before, but I was excited that it worked so well.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #765
Stazon Splitcoast

does anyone know if the paper bags from grocery stores are acid free as they would make awesome craft paper?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #766
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sek111sbc View Post
does anyone know if the paper bags from grocery stores are acid free as they would make awesome craft paper?
Apparently not:
Store papers in acid free folders and boxes. Acids from shoe boxes or grocery bags, which are made from very cheap paper, can migrate onto your papers and make even high quality paper brown and brittle. For more information on archival quality storage, please see Buzzwords in the Archival Industry.

So, I wouldn't use them for scrapbooking, but for gift wrap, cards, tags, etc. why not?

I Googled the question, found this answer here:
http://dlis.dos.state.fl.us/archives...pers/index.cfm

Last edited by contrapat; 07-13-2012 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 07-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #767
Kookie Creator

I'm just revisiting some simple origami patterns. I'm using some glossy paper from magazines to fold, and going to run them through the cuttlebug with the houndstooth folder for the male shirts and a floral folder for the kimonos. Nothing to buy!!!

Origami instructions : Origami Shirt
Or
This one has lots of patterns:
Origami clothes And then select 'clothes' and 'Yukata' (kimino?)

HTH!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #768
Stazon Splitcoast

What a fabulous idea. I am obsessed with those shirt and tie cards that seem to be all over the gallery right now. But I also make an origami tie bookmark to enclose with the card and also started using magazine pages and junk mail to fold the ties and I must say they worked out just fine. I need to have a whole lot more husbands, sons, nephews, cousins and brothers because I can't stop folding paper! LOL
Old 07-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #769
Insane Embellisher

Default DIY shaker box

Hi ladies,
long time no post! Here is an easy shaker box.
Here is a pic:

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #770
Insane Embellisher

Default fix a staz-on ink pad

I had a sticky dry stazon ink pd that I had to reink each time I used it. It was a nightare. Then I dumped about a Tablespoon of denatured alcohol on it and it was as good as new! I knew there was plenty on ink on the pad, it just needed more slovent to be juicy. Try it if you have a sticky staz-on pad!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #771
Insane Embellisher

Default How to make a squish card

Card or scrapbook page with no specail supplies!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #772
Pearl-ExPert

Everyone you have to check out the squishy card tutorial. My favorite Lindsay video ever. You all know how much I love Lindsay's videos. I did learn a lot and laughed a lot too. If you never watched one of Lindsay's videos. It's a must. Lindsay goes into great detail, which I love and appreciate. She never edits herself so the videos are just real. Did I mention you learn a lot.

I am going to add some frugal tips in next post. I keep forgetting to add them.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #773
Pearl-ExPert

If I don't make any sense just let me know. I am kind of emotional right now, no not PMS, lol. Also, I have a friend whose baby is colicky and she's having a panic attack about it poor thing. She's texting me every two minutes. I am a little scattered right now.

Fiskars Stamp Press- I recently bought one. I fell in love with it. I got the big one. I was going to buy a small one. I made my own with a Cuttlebug plate and a kitchen sponge. Cut your kitchen sponge in four even pieces and adhere to your plate. I used Silicone glue. You can use acrylic frames for a plate. You just need a strong glue to adhere it. You don't have to use silicone glue. If you want a grid you could probably use a plastic grid quilting template.

Silhouette Cameo Mats- Speaking of plastic grid quilting templates you can use one to make your own Silhouette Cameo mats. There are a lot of tutorials online and You Tube to show you how to make mats. I do the quilting spray method.

Bone Folder- This is for our Origami girls or anybody who doesn't want to buy a bone folder. A great bone folder is the little plastic part that connects a milk jug handle. The grocery stores punch them out and throw them on the floor underneath the milk trays. Here's what one looks like: Hog Wild About Stamping: Punched Leaf Tree I think this blog belongs to one of our SCS girls. These are the preferred bone folders for origami artists. These little handles work great and they are free. You will have to dive under the trays to get one. You might get funny looks. Maybe if you didn't do it with such a flourish like I did and scream to your husband "Oh my gosh I got one. I finally got one!" you might be safe from shocked looks.

Make your own piercing tool- I took an old pen and stuck one of my embroidery needles inside it. I sealed it with silicone glue. Ok, my DH did this but it was my idea, ROFL. He's good at making glue look professional. I have a really nice piercer now with a protective cover.

I want to Thank all the UK girls for the idea of Silicone glue in a syringe. I absolutely love it. For the longest time I thought you were all using this special type glue to be only found in the UK.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #774
Insane Embellisher

I absolutely love this thread. I've been reading it since the beginning. I'll need to go back through and start from the beginning again just to be reminded of all the great tips.

Here's a question for Lyndsey: I couldn't figure out your formula for versamark ink, and you've probably posted it in this thread somewhere, but would you please post it again?

Thanks Ladies for all the great tips!!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #775
Pearl-ExPert

I know I am not Lindsay. I didn't know when the next time she would peek in. I have the recipe.

Versamark Ink-

Glycerin- Add two to three eye drops of glycerin to your dried out pad. Think of using the glycerin like a reinker when reviving your pad.

Buy the glycerin you can find in your soap making aisles, cake decorating or health food store. I don't smoke but I heard you can buy glycerin where e-cigarettes are sold. I guess e-cigarette users need it for something.

Avoid the glycerin sold in WalMart pharmacy department. It has an extra additive in it.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #776
Insane Embellisher

I get my glycern at the health food store
Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #777
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the recipe. I knew it had glycerin in it but thought that it needed something else added to it. Right now I have plenty of versamark refills but when they run out I'll know what to use.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 AM   #778
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Default what is "denatured alcohol"?

A couple of posts back, there's a reference to using denatured alcohol on a staz-on pad. I haven't heard of that before - what is it. I have rubbing alcohol, but I assume that's not the same!

ETA- just looked at thefrugalcrafter and answered this question. In Australia, it's known as methylated spirits.

Last edited by FiP; 07-30-2012 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: found my own answer!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #779
SAH
Inking Addict

Quote:
I want to Thank all the UK girls for the idea of Silicone glue in a syringe. I absolutely love it. For the longest time I thought you were all using this special type glue to be only found in the UK.
Can you give us a little more detail on this? What type of glue and what type of syringe, does it have a special cover tip?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #780
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAH View Post
Can you give us a little more detail on this? What type of glue and what type of syringe, does it have a special cover tip?

Thanks
I think they use an oral dispensing syringe that normally comes with a cap. I know I had them for my babies when they need liquid medicines orally and were too young to take a spoon (no needles just the plunger action).

Oh and the silicon is household (from what I remember) such as that used to seal baths. HTH.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 AM   #781
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I think they use an oral dispensing syringe that normally comes with a cap. I know I had them for my babies when they need liquid medicines orally and were too young to take a spoon (no needles just the plunger action).

Oh and the silicon is household (from what I remember) such as that used to seal baths. HTH.
The oral type of syringe you can get from a pharmacy is exactly what I use. And any type of silicone glue will do the job, I use both 'household' type and the 'craft' type( Stix2 brand). The syringe trick is brilliant for attaching tiny dots of glue- I had to stick loads of acrylic gems to wedding stationery, and it was brilliantly mess-free, accurate & fast!
I think we mainly got the idea when someone over here marketed a crafting glue in a syringe applicator for fine detail work, but as usual at a fairly ludicrous price
Also, if for any reason it does dry in the end, its easy to pull out the plug of glue, and to be honest, they are cheap to replace.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #782
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

The UK girls also gave some helpful info about the type of glue, but I'm still not sure what to look for here in N. America. Do you have any suggestions on a couple of brand names to look for, or whether it's something you find in a hardware store, or a craft store, etc.?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #783
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAH View Post

Thanks
Just a normal everyday syringe- Amazon.com: Precision Applicators - Dispense Pack: Home Improvement

I bought my sets off of Ebay. I do have the precision needles and cap. I paid a lot less than this price. I am using Amazon as examples.

If you live near a medical supply store that sells to the public you can buy syringes. Also farm supply stores carry syringes. I went to Ebay because it was a bit easier for me than running to my farm supply store across town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol W View Post
The UK girls also gave some helpful info about the type of glue, but I'm still not sure what to look for here in N. America. Do you have any suggestions on a couple of brand names to look for, or whether it's something you find in a hardware store, or a craft store, etc.?
Caulking glue the kind you use to seal leaks: Amazon.com: Dap 08641 Dow Corning Clear Silicone Sealant 10.1-Ounce: Home Improvement

That glue example is on the high end price of caulking glue. My DH pays less than $3 for a super size tube of glue

Scale modelers also use this glue. You can find it in the model section at your craft store. Hobby Lobby carries it. It will be in with the modeling tools. Your local model store will probably carry it too. It will be more expensive. You can use a coupon at the craft store.

If you don't have caulking glue you will also need to buy the gun- Amazon.com: Newborn DC012 Precision Seal Non-Drip Caulking Gun: Home Improvement.

Between the gun, glue and syringes the model glue might be the way to go if you don't own these items already. I already had the glue and gun. I only needed to buy the syringes because for some odd reason I didn't have those in my homes. I usually do to make beauty products.

One more quick note if you do buy silicone glue kit at your crafting store you won't need the gun.

Last edited by lylacfey; 08-01-2012 at 12:46 AM..
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #784
Mad Swapper

Typically you are looking for a clear silicone sealant, maybe called bathroom sealant. I find I can get it cheaply over here in pound stores, maybe try looking in your dollar stores, in the hardware/DIY area?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #785
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
I had a sticky dry stazon ink pd that I had to reink each time I used it. It was a nightare. Then I dumped about a Tablespoon of denatured alcohol on it and it was as good as new! I knew there was plenty on ink on the pad, it just needed more slovent to be juicy. Try it if you have a sticky staz-on pad!
Thanks so much for this. My Jet Black Staz-on Pad is just awful. No amount of reinking helps. I'll try denatured alcohol.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #786
Mad Swapper

I've decided to post some old and some new cards featuring recycled bits that I've added to them on my blog. The first one is one highlighting the use of teabag envies ~

thefrugalcraftyrushdlady: Thanks Teabag Folding Card
Old 08-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #787
Mad Swapper

You know that saying that necessity is the mother of all invention? Well, my hubbin says that lack of supplies due to scarcity of shops or poverty makes one more creative. However, while I may be more creative, I donít have a full basement like Lindsay and Iím running out of room stashing my throw-a-ways in my kitchen/craft room. *smile* Did you see Lindsayís article in the recent Scrap & Stamp Arts magazine?

And speaking of Lindsay, her roses reminded me of the porcelain-like roses we used to make out of stale bread, Elmerís glue, and acrylic paint. Iíve got a recipe at home if anyone is interested.

Iíve got a question for those techie people out there and it involves videos. We are just coming out of credit card debt. One of the things we let go during this process was our home internet because we were barely squeaking by financially (we decided to pay back the bills the Financial Peace University way instead of going bankrupt), so we found we could get our internet at the library FREE with a library card except that we are limited to one hour a day. Time goes quick, let me tell you, when you have three blogs to update, email, and several websites to visit. I would LOVE to be able to watch all those crafty videos you all watch, but I would like to be able to download them to a flash drive and bring them home to watch on my computer without taking up my precious time at the library. Iím able to do that with some webpages like this thread to read at home, so is there a way to do that with videos? Also, Iíd love to save those same videos on my Ďputer at home, so that I could replay if I needed to.

Deeann, we have one Staples here. Iím going over and checking out the tape selection, will let you know how it goes.

Oh, and I just found some video tape cases at a liquidation store this weekend for 10 cents apiece. I wanted to use them for stamp storage and purchase video drawers or shelving from a thrift store to store them in/on. They have the little post inside on the bottom to hold the video tape in place. A friend said I could use a dremal tool to cut them off with, but I donít have the funds at the moment to run out and buy one of those tools. I tried using a craft knife to cut them off, but they are HARD plastic and pliers only left a big hole in the bottom of the case when I tried to bend them over to pop off. Any other suggestions on how I can remove the post?

I read on Tim Holtzí blog that he stores his acrylic mounts in the zippered school pencil cases made for notebooks. They have a clear acrylic plastic window or mesh on one side and he hangs them near his work station from one of the grommets on the side. He said he buys them from the dollar store.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #788
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady View Post
You know that saying that necessity is the mother of all invention? Well, my hubbin says that lack of supplies due to scarcity of shops or poverty makes one more creative. However, while I may be more creative, I donít have a full basement like Lindsay and Iím running out of room stashing my throw-a-ways in my kitchen/craft room. *smile* Did you see Lindsayís article in the recent Scrap & Stamp Arts magazine?

And speaking of Lindsay, her roses reminded me of the porcelain-like roses we used to make out of stale bread, Elmerís glue, and acrylic paint. Iíve got a recipe at home if anyone is interested.

Iíve got a question for those techie people out there and it involves videos. We are just coming out of credit card debt. One of the things we let go during this process was our home internet because we were barely squeaking by financially (we decided to pay back the bills the Financial Peace University way instead of going bankrupt), so we found we could get our internet at the library FREE with a library card except that we are limited to one hour a day. Time goes quick, let me tell you, when you have three blogs to update, email, and several websites to visit. I would LOVE to be able to watch all those crafty videos you all watch, but I would like to be able to download them to a flash drive and bring them home to watch on my computer without taking up my precious time at the library. Iím able to do that with some webpages like this thread to read at home, so is there a way to do that with videos? Also, Iíd love to save those same videos on my Ďputer at home, so that I could replay if I needed to.

Deeann, we have one Staples here. Iím going over and checking out the tape selection, will let you know how it goes.

Oh, and I just found some video tape cases at a liquidation store this weekend for 10 cents apiece. I wanted to use them for stamp storage and purchase video drawers or shelving from a thrift store to store them in/on. They have the little post inside on the bottom to hold the video tape in place. A friend said I could use a dremal tool to cut them off with, but I donít have the funds at the moment to run out and buy one of those tools. I tried using a craft knife to cut them off, but they are HARD plastic and pliers only left a big hole in the bottom of the case when I tried to bend them over to pop off. Any other suggestions on how I can remove the post?

I read on Tim Holtzí blog that he stores his acrylic mounts in the zippered school pencil cases made for notebooks. They have a clear acrylic plastic window or mesh on one side and he hangs them near his work station from one of the grommets on the side. He said he buys them from the dollar store.
Can you sand them down? Does hubby have a power tool with sander disks? How tough is the plastic- can you use a heat tool on it to soften it, or a soldering iron to melt it flush with the rest of the case?

Also, it's really worth watching the back to school sales- they often have lots of nifty items one can use in the craft room- pencil boxes, binder pouches, etc. and the stores usually have a loss leader designed to pull you into the store (you know, penny deals, etc.). I often make a run on Sunday after getting the Sunday paper with the ads- we have both an Office Depot and an Office Max in a local strip mall. I go in, get my cheapo deals, check the clearance, and go home happy. I have purchased some gorgeous printed plastic folders, mainly to use with dies- making gorgeous little matchboxes, etc. And I'm not above using the paper folders in card making, when I can get a bunch at a penny each! They're usually nice glossy stock, and you can use em for tons of projects. Think outside the box!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #789
Die Cut Diva

Oh, and I store my clear stamps in binders (D ring style are the best) that I buy at thrift stores and garage sales. I put the stamps into page protectors with a sheet of cheap cardstock to give it firmness. And I almost always keep them in their original packages. You can put stamps on both sides of the cs, so you can see them as you page through the binder.

I have also done much the same with rhinestones and assorted bling that come on cards- I find really cheap small photo albums at thrift stores, etc. and put the bling packages into the pockets. Yeah, the book won't exactly close, but it stands nicely on a shelf, and it's easy to leaf through and find what I want.

I have a fancy plastic fishing tackle box that someone was getting rid of- it has small compartments on both sides, with a handle on top, like an attache case. I roll up lengths of ribbon and store them in the sections, usually by colors. That thing holds a LOT of ribbon, neatly, easily accessed, and it was free. And when you're down to a yard or so, it's wasting space to keep ribbon on the roll anyway.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #790
Pearl-ExPert

Rush'd Lady- I loved your tea bag card. It was so cute and unique.

I did see Lindsay's article in Scrap & Stamp's. It was amazing like our Lindsay.

I am a tech geek. You can get software to download videos from You Tube. I don't know a lot about the downloaders so that's my tech shortfall. PortableFreeware should have some gems- The Portable Freeware Collection - Latest entries. I know Linux has a billion downloaders. I know this because I installed LinuxMint the other day and that distro gave me every single video downloader I think Linux has, lol.

I gave you portablefreeware because you can install software on your SD card if you don't want to haul your computer with you to the library. I use this site all the time and highly recommend it. My computer is over 90% portable freeware.

It's tax free weekend in Missouri for school supplies starting today. You should be able to find some tape deals and not pay tax. I know my stores here are starting to really lower prices trying to get everyone in. I know Staples really throws out some great deals on tax free weekend. You can walk away with a lot of freebies if you can play the game right. I stay out of all that mayhem. Oh, you can get your zippered school pouches too. Walgreen's and CVS should have those items really cheap. If I remember right Walgreens used to sale pencil pouches 4/$1.00.

Do you have funds for a generic Dremel? DH & I bought one for $10 a few years back. It's a really good Dremel. My DH does have a real Dremel and he likes the generic one better. Ours came from WalMart from a Black Friday weekend sale. You can find generic Dremels at Big Lots and other liquidation stores. I made a note to ask my DH when he gets up if he has an idea how to remove posts.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #791
Insane Embellisher

Awn, do you have a woodburner or hot marks tool? If so use the hot knife attachement to cut (really I mean melt) the hubs off the base of the video case

Thanks for the comments on my basemrnt studio, it all happend when my twins were born and I closed my 4 room suite I rented to teach out of and had to give up my home studio to be their bedroom so I paerked it all down celler in amakeship fashion so when they napped I could work, now it is my little escape as well as functioning studio. I do not even have real walls, they are made by shelves and shelves of my collected craft crap
Old 08-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #792
Insane Embellisher

Default use a soda can & box for cheap crafting!

I made earring from a soda can and a card from the box!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: SPR
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #793
Insane Embellisher

Contrapat, this is off subject, but I'm so proud of you that you are taking over your finances (instead of them taking over you!). Financial Peace is a wonderful way to do that too. I've always been a saver and never liked to have any debt so I'm in good shape (I'm buying my new 2013 Kia Optima in a few weeks with cash that we've been saving - plus selling my old vehicle, a boat, and a motorcycle to replenish the savings account). I've recommended that program to lots of folks and believe it is the best one out there. Kudos to you! I hope very soon you can give Dave a call and yell "I'm debt free!!!!"
Old 08-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #794
Pearl-ExPert

Rush'd Lady- I asked my DH and he could only think of a utility knife. I did ask him when he just got up. He might come up with something better when he is more awake.

Lindsay- When I was a little girl I had a Dapping Block my Daddy bought me. When I saw yours I forgot all about my dapping block. I make a lot of jewelry. I am so surprised I don't own one. I don't know what happened to my block. We moved a lot when I was a child. After I watched your video I had to go find one. Instructables had a tutorial to make your own: how to make a steel doming/dapping punch for jewellery making.. That is for a metal block and that's some hard core make your own right there, lol. I don't mind hard core until you start saying words like hack saw.

I found a beautiful wooden block on Amazon for only $7 & free shipping. I saved the link so I could show my DH in case he knew where to get one that might be cheaper. He gets up, I show him the link and his eyes just popped in shock. He said "You have to order that right now!" I guess he wanted one too and he couldn't believe I found one so cheap, lol. He said he has been looking for months.

Thank you for a childhood nostalgia memory for me and making my DH's day.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #795
Crimping Master

A friend of mine and I were just chatting about something and she gave me such a great tip! We were loading up the printer with paper and as she was crumbling up the wrapper to throw it in the trash, she said "Ya know...you could use this I bet in your crafting...when I was younger my dad used to bring these wrappers home and we would stamp on them and use them for wrapping paper!" We got to talking and her idea reminded me of a blog post that I had seen last year at this blog:

Chic' n Scratch:

She used the packing paper that SU uses for shipping. So I thought that the copy paper wrappers could serve the same purpose only instead of brown they would be white and I could crinkle them and distress with some silver ink. FUN!! I just wanted to come share Gosh, there really is no such things as trash once you get to crafting!!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #796
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Rush'd Lady- I asked my DH and he could only think of a utility knife. I did ask him when he just got up. He might come up with something better when he is more awake.

Lindsay- When I was a little girl I had a Dapping Block my Daddy bought me. When I saw yours I forgot all about my dapping block. I make a lot of jewelry. I am so surprised I don't own one. I don't know what happened to my block. We moved a lot when I was a child. After I watched your video I had to go find one. Instructables had a tutorial to make your own: how to make a steel doming/dapping punch for jewellery making.. That is for a metal block and that's some hard core make your own right there, lol. I don't mind hard core until you start saying words like hack saw.

I found a beautiful wooden block on Amazon for only $7 & free shipping. I saved the link so I could show my DH in case he knew where to get one that might be cheaper. He gets up, I show him the link and his eyes just popped in shock. He said "You have to order that right now!" I guess he wanted one too and he couldn't believe I found one so cheap, lol. He said he has been looking for months.

Thank you for a childhood nostalgia memory for me and making my DH's day.
well, have fun with the block!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #797
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
Awn, do you have a woodburner or hot marks tool? If so use the hot knife attachement to cut (really I mean melt) the hubs off the base of the video case

Thanks for the comments on my basemrnt studio, it all happend when my twins were born and I closed my 4 room suite I rented to teach out of and had to give up my home studio to be their bedroom so I paerked it all down celler in amakeship fashion so when they napped I could work, now it is my little escape as well as functioning studio. I do not even have real walls, they are made by shelves and shelves of my collected craft crap
Lindsay! I'm so glad to see someone else who refers to it as craft crap! Where I work, they all know what I'm going to use the Walmart/Sam's gift cards we get as prizes- Pat's going to buy craft crap!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #798
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah636 View Post
Contrapat, this is off subject, but I'm so proud of you that you are taking over your finances (instead of them taking over you!). Financial Peace is a wonderful way to do that too. I've always been a saver and never liked to have any debt so I'm in good shape (I'm buying my new 2013 Kia Optima in a few weeks with cash that we've been saving - plus selling my old vehicle, a boat, and a motorcycle to replenish the savings account). I've recommended that program to lots of folks and believe it is the best one out there. Kudos to you! I hope very soon you can give Dave a call and yell "I'm debt free!!!!"
I have to admit, it's DH. I'd be up to my neck in debt, left to my own devices. But it is a good feeling to realize that I'm over 2/3 of the way to being free of the payback. I figure if I could get through 3 years of only having $100 a month allowance, that when I get my $200 a month back, I'm going to bank half, and save up. (I have too much craft crap anyway, I just love STUFF!) That way, maybe I'd have money in hand when I find a fabulous deal. I wish we were banking for a future car- both of ours are paid off, and in good shape (mine is a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 & his is a Honda Prelude). I tried to get him to bank the $261 payments when mine paid off, but he had other ideas. We are debt free other than our house payments, and we took a 15 year mortgage on that, so it would be paid by the time he retires. And we have a financial adviser, and are putting away money for retirement.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #799
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Between the gun, glue and syringes the model glue might be the way to go if you don't own these items already.
Here in the UK our £1 shops often have tubes of silicone sealant that don't need the gun, they can just be squeezed by hand. They're typically quite a bit smaller than the ones designed for the guns but they're still much bigger and cheaper than anything sold as a "craft" item. Might be worth a look in your dollar stores for something similar.

My blog
Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #800
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
Here in the UK our £1 shops often have tubes of silicone sealant that don't need the gun, they can just be squeezed by hand. They're typically quite a bit smaller than the ones designed for the guns but they're still much bigger and cheaper than anything sold as a "craft" item. Might be worth a look in your dollar stores for something similar.
I wish my Dollar Stores sold silicone in tubes like that. I have never seen it. My DH & I buy silicone glue at our closeout stores. I can get a huge tube of silicone glue for under $3. I just use the gun/glue combo to fill my syringe. It would be nice if my Dollar Stores carried it in smaller tubes so I don't have to go searching for the glue when my DH puts it away in his tool collection.