Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree187Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #41
Matboard Maniac

A couple of things I do:

Facial tissues (like Kleenex or Puffs) often have pretty designs on the boxes. I cut out the designs and use them on cards.

My local dollar store wraps purchases in fancy tissue paper, printed with some really nice designs. I save that to reuse on cards and in scrapbooking.

I also save the mesh (net) bags from produce to use on cards. I use mini brads to attach it.

Such a great thread, thanks for starting!

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #42
Die Cut Diva

A couple of things I wanted to quickly add: Someone mentioned using embossing powder to change the colour of their brads (I do this too and it works amazing) just remember to hold the brads with tweezers or something when heat embossing. Those little suckers get super hot and you will get burned

I also re-use any ribbon packaging, twill handles on bags (Buffalo, uses twill on their shopping bags), thrift stores are my favorite to find neat, original embellishments at a super reduced price.
MaryBrewer likes this post.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

I have never used Copic on ribbon, rhinestones, buttons, pearls or actually anything but paper. I have read about this in the forum and stampers' blogs and they get good results. I really need to try this. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #44
Polyshrink Goddess

When a Sears catalogue is ready to be recycled, I sometimes pull out the bedspread and duvet pages and use these for the faux cloisonne technique. You can often find colours that match or coordinate your inks and cardstock.

Val
Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #45
Linking Queen

Just skimming the last several posts but mesh bags can also be used to add inked (or painted) texture to cardstock. The used mesh could then be attached to a card in the ways suggested by others (if you like the way the mesh looks, of course).

Also, I love twinkling H20s and wipe the brush on a slightly damp paper towel. That now colorful paper towel gets scanned and color-printed for unique background papers. I could use the actual paper towel but sometimes I want multiples of a unique paper and my techno-nerd-geek DH has provided me with a color printer/copier/scanner (although he has to set up the scanner I make a copy or two and keep the original).

This is fun to use for punched shapes (esp. Spirelli or the layered paper flowers) and the colors are easy to coordinate because you made it with your own supplies.

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
sulynne likes this post.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #46
Linking Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValH View Post
When a Sears catalogue is ready to be recycled, I sometimes pull out the bedspread and duvet pages and use these for the faux cloisonne technique. You can often find colours that match or coordinate your inks and cardstock.

Val
And the other pages could make fun envelopes!
dkimberlin likes this post.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #47
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Can you attach the mesh to paper with bits of thread instead of glue?
Yes! Thanks.. now, why didn't I think of that? Probably because I'm sewing challenged but have picked up a craft sewing machine that I've been forgetting about. Perfect idea...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #48
Compulsive Stamper

[I love Card Candy - those little bags of card circles that look like brads without the legs - you can buy them in loads of scrumptious colours. Last time I was in the shop I was advised to buy white and colour them with my Copics - that way you can match them exactly to your card. Works brilliantly. Ok, each bag costs the same - but you don't need to buy so many different colours thus saving your pennies (or cents)!.

Ok, I'll bite, what is card candy and where do you buy it? I've never heard of it before. [/QUOTE]

Card Candy are little circles of coloured domed card that look like brads - but you just stick 'em down instead of having to fiddle with brads. They're sold in packs of 400 for about 1.60 (I think thats about $2.60) - have a look at craftworkcards.co.uk. They're hugely popular here in the UK. Hope this helps hun!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #49
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimont View Post
Sorry for triple dipping this morning.. but this thread has got me thinking. I've been saving nylon mesh bags from produce knowing there's got to be something great I can do with it. I'm wondering what's the best way to adhere it without glue coming through the little holes.
Something a bit different from the ideas suggested already - I recently saw a project on somebody's blog (sorry, can't remember where) where she attached the net to the cardstock with glue stick and then covered over the whole thing with tissue paper. I think she used white glue (Elmers type) to stick the tissue. You can then swipe or brayer a little colour onto the surface if you want a more colourful effect and the mesh will pick it up. It was a cool textural effect.

My blog
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #50
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I love the idea of digis.. and have a question. If I want to color them (prismas & osm or copics) I've heard they have to be printed with a laser printer. Is that right? Will the image bleed if it's an ink jet?

I guess the easiest way to find out is just go do it.. but would also love to hear your thoughts...
It depends on the ink and paper combination. I'm currently using off brand inks in my Canon MP560 and I haven't had any problems with my ink smearing. I was using Canon ink before and didn't have any problems either. You can try heat setting your inkjet inks using your heat gun and a lot of times that will stop the ink from smearing. If you have the option to print with a laser printer, then you don't have to worry about your ink smearing.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #51
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
It depends on the ink and paper combination. I'm currently using off brand inks in my Canon MP560 and I haven't had any problems with my ink smearing. I was using Canon ink before and didn't have any problems either. You can try heat setting your inkjet inks using your heat gun and a lot of times that will stop the ink from smearing. If you have the option to print with a laser printer, then you don't have to worry about your ink smearing.
It really depends on what you are going to do. Think of inkjet ink as dye ink and Laser ink as a solvent or stazon like ink.

The inkjet ink is great for using with copics and gamsol once it's completely dry. The laser for watercolor.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #52
Stampin' Fool

Default crafty, but frugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I just remembered something I've done for envelopes. After Christmas, check out the Dollar Stores. They usually have boxes of standard size, all alike Christmas cards. Frequently they put them on sale for as little as 25 cents or 50 cents a box for 20 or so.

You can pitch the cards and use the envelopes.
I just did that today. I bought 8 thank you cards for a buck at WM. I like the size for making my own thank yous. I also use the cards as white CS, punching out shapes after using BG stamps on them. It's a win win!

Jutta
Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #53
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
subbing 'cos there are some awesome ideas!

I am going to try colouring some gemstones with my Bic Mark-Its and see if it works (can't afford copics) so it will interesting to see if it does.

I never buy colored brads anymore! I just buy the white ones and color them with my Bic Mark-its! It works wonderful and I have all the colors that I need and no left over colors of brads that I never use!!!
Great ideas here!!
God bless
Nyoka
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #54
Stazon Splitcoast

Great ideas! thanks for sharing. My family thinks I'm crazy too, but all the cool embellishments I re-purpose means more $ to spend on other things! The sleeves for coffee cups are made of great cardboard too.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #55
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I love the idea of digis.. and have a question. If I want to color them (prismas & osm or copics) I've heard they have to be printed with a laser printer. Is that right? Will the image bleed if it's an ink jet?

I guess the easiest way to find out is just go do it.. but would also love to hear your thoughts...
I have a Canon inkjet printer and print the digi images onto my cardstock, leave it for 10 minutes, heat-set it with heat-gun, then colour with OMS and Prismacolor/Derwent Coloursoft/Koh-i-noor pencils and I have never had the ink smear or bleed at all. Don't have copics so I don't know what is best for them.

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #56
Pearl-ExPert

A year ago my dad spotted "2009" Christmas cards in the after-Christmas sales. They were cards where you could add your photo. They were 5x7 and also sported a really pretty silver, white or blue ribbon. Boxed in packages of 10, he got them for 50 cents!!! I took off all the ribbons and saved all the envelopes - he bought me 12 boxes and I haven't needed to buy 5x7 envies since! The cashier thought he was nuts since the cards said "2009" all over them until he explained he was buying them for his crafting daughter who wanted cheap envelopes. I put all the ribbons in a ziploc container - they're perfect since they are a nice width, the perfect length, and easy to tie and and be done! I love it. I also saved the boxes, covered them in paper, and had 5x7 card boxes for gift sets.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #57
Stampin' Fool

Default picture cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
A year ago my dad spotted "2009" Christmas cards in the after-Christmas sales. They were cards where you could add your photo. They were 5x7 and also sported a really pretty silver, white or blue ribbon. Boxed in packages of 10, he got them for 50 cents!!! I took off all the ribbons and saved all the envelopes - he bought me 12 boxes and I haven't needed to buy 5x7 envies since! The cashier thought he was nuts since the cards said "2009" all over them until he explained he was buying them for his crafting daughter who wanted cheap envelopes. I put all the ribbons in a ziploc container - they're perfect since they are a nice width, the perfect length, and easy to tie and and be done! I love it. I also saved the boxes, covered them in paper, and had 5x7 card boxes for gift sets.

I used picture cards to make my Christmas cards this year. I got them for an excellent price a t Target last year. I just put CS in the hole instead of a picture and my card has a wonderful frame - looked impressive!

Jutta
Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #58
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta View Post
I used picture cards to make my Christmas cards this year. I got them for an excellent price a t Target last year. I just put CS in the hole instead of a picture and my card has a wonderful frame - looked impressive!

Jutta
Oh that is a really good idea!!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta View Post

Jutta
I've done that, too Great minds think alike I also used freebies that they send in the mail (sample postcards and such) instead of regular cardstock base by covering it with patterned paper when I was too lazy to cut and score...

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Old 02-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #60
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Instead of throwing away the boxed cards, I just learned a beautiful new way to use them. Here's a link for "enameled" cards:

USArtQuest

Also, the clear plastic packaging can also be cut with your dies to create inexpensive screens for using glimmer mists..

Thanks for starting this thread! I always learn so much here.
What a fantastic site. The video's on here are amazing. How inspiring. I'll be keeping a lot more out of the recyling box from now on.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #61
Watercolor Wizard

Great ideas!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #62
Gallery Gazer

I've found lots of note card sets at Ollie's for $0.99...10 or 20 cards and envelopes per se...soooo cheap! If it has "Thank You" or something on the front I just cover it with a stamped image and layers or embellishments! I'm about to turn a 20 card/envie kraft set into something beachy for a cardfront swap at a shoebox gathering in CT. I have some other sets with beautiful graphic flowers all over them that I want to layer with velum stamped with one similar flower. I make lots of cards for From Our Hearts to send to the troops so these sets make a great base to use to mass produce cards for them.

Last edited by arlenevita; 02-19-2011 at 06:11 AM..
Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #63
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Send a message via AIM to mollymoo951

I did a couple of blog posts on making do. I was tempted by a new release. Saved myself $54 dollars and had fun in the process. Known as counterfeiting.

Counterfeit Buttons

Counterfeit Button Cards

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #64
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meowy View Post
My favorite trick is to use permanent markers and Copics on my rhinestones. Instead of buying all different colors and sizes, I get the self-adhesive kind in clear that have multiple sizes.

Then I use my Copics to color the rhinestones if I need a colored bit of bling. I can use my Sharpie Markers if I want a more opaque look, with less shine.
Thanks for the tip about coloring rhinestones with Copics, I never would have thought to try it! One quick question -- do you color the stones while they are on the original adhesive sheet and let them dry or apply the Copic color after they are adhered to your project?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #65
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykins View Post
I save all the clear transparency things i can find...report cover like material. I use them for die-cuts or make 4x4 squares and make stamp-a-ma-jig images for each set as I need them. Stamp with stazon and keep them right in the clamshell
Wow! This is an intriguing idea! I have certain sentiments that I use quite freqently, what a great idea to have a permanent stamp-a-ma-jigged image stored with them to make using them easey-peasy. Thanks for sharing this tip.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #66
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudgeroonie View Post
Wow - where to start? Nothing gets thrown away in our house without someone saying "do you want this for your card-making?" - and usually I do!

I've made those scrumpled flowers before, but have used my Cuttlebug to cut scalloped circles from different papers - including magazine ones!

I love Card Candy - those little bags of card circles that look like brads without the legs - you can buy them in loads of scrumptious colours. Last time I was in the shop I was advised to buy white and colour them with my Copics - that way you can match them exactly to your card. Works brilliantly. Ok, each bag costs the same - but you don't need to buy so many different colours thus saving your pennies (or cents)!.

Instead of buying expensive brads have you tried making your own? Buy a bag of ordinary brass office brads. Holding the legs with tweezers, press them into a Versafine pad, then into embossing powder, and heat with a heat gun. Voila - super shiny coloured brads for a fraction of the cost.

Looking forward to reading loads more tips - great thread!
I love this tip on the brads - had no idea the embossing powder wouldn't "slide" off the metal!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #67
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Thanks for the tip about coloring rhinestones with Copics, I never would have thought to try it! One quick question -- do you color the stones while they are on the original adhesive sheet and let them dry or apply the Copic color after they are adhered to your project?
It's best to colur stuff before you add it to you project - that way you can make sure you get all the way to the edges without worrying about getting the colour on your card.

My blog
Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #68
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
It's best to colur stuff before you add it to you project - that way you can make sure you get all the way to the edges without worrying about getting the colour on your card.
That was what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if the copic ink would remain undamaged if it was applied to the stone before placing on the project. Thanks for confirming my guess!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #69
Rubber Obsessor

subbing
Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #70
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
That was what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if the copic ink would remain undamaged if it was applied to the stone before placing on the project. Thanks for confirming my guess!
Since it's basically a lacquer that's sitting on the surface, it will scratch off if you try hard enough (something like scraping it with your thumbnail) but regular handling won't do any damage. Have fun!

My blog
Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #71
KLF
Kookie Creator

I think I found the directions here at Splitcoast, but you can make that fluffy glue-on stuff very similar to F****r S**t (I think you can get in trouble by implying that the do-it-yourself stuff is the same as their product). You just rub 2 pieces of white styrofoam together and catch the little crumbs on a piece of paper. Wax paper is good, because then you can dye it whatever color you want with re-inkers. Seems much the same to me.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #72
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Since it's basically a lacquer that's sitting on the surface, it will scratch off if you try hard enough (something like scraping it with your thumbnail) but regular handling won't do any damage. Have fun!
You were right, the copics worked beautifully to color the rhinestones! Once I got started it was hard to find a stopping place. It was so easy to swipe the color on the stones while they were on the acetate sheet. I discovered that the more intense colors of copics made for very vibrant looking stones. I'm squeeling with delight at the outcome!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #73
Kookie Creator

Great ideas!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #74
Cardstock Collector

Great ideas here. I buy a lot of things at the $ store that I repurpose for cards and scrapping. I think someone already mentioned the double sided sticky foam that can sub-in for pop dots or double sided foam tape. I also cut up and use just small pieces of my pop dots after buying them on sale. Often you really don't need to use the entire dot.

My 4y/o nephew really gets the idea of recycling things for crafts. A few weeks ago he got upset when my sister got rid of his old car seat because he wanted to "save it for a craft"!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #75
Embossing Fanatic

I love to recycle and repurose found items. I have found some neat clothing tags.
I color office supply brads by sticking a bunch in a scrap of styrofoam and then using some of hubbies stash of spray paints, get lots of diff. colors that way.
I love to pick up unique tin cans at my thrift and store supplies in them as well as jars and other containers. I have all my buttons etc. in these type jars I got for 25 to 50 cents each at thrift stores. I also have purchased pocket type photo albums there and store little diecuts in the pockets. i like to keep diecuts ahead so when I use my cricut I cut a few extra of images, store them in the photo album and then when I need a quick card I go there to get images to assemble cards in a flash.
__________________________________________________ ___________
CARD Candy is any embellishment you might put on it..term started out as eye candy for cards, meaning embellishments that looked NICE and were easy on the eyes (meaning good looking)
DIGI stamps are just IMAGES you download on you computer to print, from free sources or companies that charge a nominal fee to download their digital images.
THESE ?? were asked in previous posts on this thread!!
__________________________________________________ _
Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #76
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecutDiva View Post
I love to recycle and repurose found items. I have found some neat clothing tags.
I color office supply brads by sticking a bunch in a scrap of styrofoam and then using some of hubbies stash of spray paints, get lots of diff. colors that way.
I love to pick up unique tin cans at my thrift and store supplies in them as well as jars and other containers. I have all my buttons etc. in these type jars I got for 25 to 50 cents each at thrift stores. I also have purchased pocket type photo albums there and store little diecuts in the pockets. i like to keep diecuts ahead so when I use my cricut I cut a few extra of images, store them in the photo album and then when I need a quick card I go there to get images to assemble cards in a flash.
I love the styrofoam idea. I am "stealing" it. Thanks for sharing.

I buy lots of tin cans, jars, etc from thrift stores too. I am always repurposing jars and cans in my home.

I have a scrap box I keep all my die cuts, bits and bobs and other what nots in. I am always digging through that box to make things. I would be lost without that box. I was looking through my box tonight and find the cutest owls, dinosaurs and sea creature that I either printed out or made a die cut. I was like "Ooooh treasures!"

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 AM   #77
Pearl-ExPert

What a wonderful threads. Found it by accident. I'll have to think of what I can share.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #78
Watercolor Wizard

I'm reminded of another "buy white and dye it" item that hasn't been mentioned - Flower Soft. I have one pot of the stuff in Polar White. When I want a different colour, I shake a little into a tiny baggie, add a couple of drops of alcohol ink and squish it around (I use my Copic Various refills, any alcohol ink will do). Tip it out onto some scrap paper and leave it to dry for a minute or two and you're good to go. If you do a couple of "near" colours and mix them one they've dried you get a nice variagated effect, too.

My blog
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #79
Compulsive Stamper

Bumping this thread cos it's got such terrific ideas!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #80
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I'm reminded of another "buy white and dye it" item that hasn't been mentioned - Flower Soft. I have one pot of the stuff in Polar White. When I want a different colour, I shake a little into a tiny baggie, add a couple of drops of alcohol ink and squish it around (I use my Copic Various refills, any alcohol ink will do). Tip it out onto some scrap paper and leave it to dry for a minute or two and you're good to go. If you do a couple of "near" colours and mix them one they've dried you get a nice variagated effect, too.
This reminds me also about making your own flower soft with the white foam craft balls. You cut the ball in half and rub the cut sides together to "grate" it and the particles look exactly like flower soft. I suppose once you have some, you can dye it the colours you want as Angelnorth suggests. I did a post on my blog comparing real flower soft with "faux flowersoft" here: Faux Flower Soft: Can you tell the difference?