Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #681
Stazon Splitcoast

A fun idea demonstrated at our local Senior center is to take glossy magazine pages (National Geographic, etc.) and stamp a design on them with white craft ink. Cut out and make your card. Here is a link to one I did-there are two others in my gallery:

LSC133, Calla Lilies by Maxell - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
My Blog:A Flowery Hobby
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #682
Kookie Creator

This is gorgeous! I'm off to your gallery.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #683
Glitter Queen

Thanks Louisa May. I did attached the foil tape to cardstock and had no problems running it through the Big Shot.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #684
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxell View Post
A fun idea demonstrated at our local Senior center is to take glossy magazine pages (National Geographic, etc.) and stamp a design on them with white craft ink. Cut out and make your card. Here is a link to one I did-there are two others in my gallery:

LSC133, Calla Lilies by Maxell - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I also use glossy "fashion" pages with bright colors from magazines to punch out flowers in different sizes. Then I layer the flowers. You would never know that the flower was punched from a picture of dress, or purse or shoes. It is best not to punch any faces - you tend to see the eyes or noses on the flowers and it can be a bit weird. LOL
Old 05-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #685
Stazon Splitcoast

blondie090277 shared a link to a great blog post she'd written about a way to make your own sponge daubers. They look great!

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #686
Compulsive Stamper

Love this one I got it from a lady on U Tube. Go to Home Depot and buy a bag of connecters for PVC pipe about 1.71. Attach them to gether side by side , with either glue or packing tape. These are now containers for your re-inkers, stickles, plastic craft paint holders , brush holders or colored pencil holders. jewelry tools, papercraft tools.There they all in a row in front of you. Saved $20 buy doing this. So much happiness for $1.71.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #687
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I was at Staples today and I saw a large box of 3M double sided tape. I think it was around $20. I don't know if it was just the tape dispensers or refill. It did have several in the box.

I don't know if I read it on this board or a different board/blog but the generic double sided tape from Staples is supposed to be excellent. I think it also can be refilled.
This is what I used to use all the time - it has always worked really well for me, and is much more economical (as well as less wasteful) than the individual tape dispensers.

I now also have the pink ATG gun from Michael's (bought on a 'deal of the day') and I find it works wonderfully! For card making, I get the non-archival tape; the two pack refills are great and last a long time, and can be pretty cheap with a coupon.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #688
Insane Embellisher

Just revisited this thread - what terrific ideas you all have! Hope to spend some time today playing!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #689
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all the great ideas. I recycle patterned envelopes from bills. At least I get something as I pay my bills.lol

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’ Audrey Hepburn[

Joan
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #690
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
So I was so excited when I saw the video from CHA of the stamping gear tool from inkadinkado that I made my own version.

Here are some backgrounds I stamped with it:

Best of all it only takes a few minutes to make and my homemade stamp mount is larger so you can stamp a page in one rotation! I think I will try to find a larger plastic lid as well. I hope this is usefull to someone
Wow! You just blew my mind. I am all about McGyvering, so I absolutely LOVE this! Gonna try it for sure. Thanks so much for the thorough explanation and helpful video!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #691
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
blondie090277 shared a link to a great blog post she'd written about a way to make your own sponge daubers. They look great!

Fantastic! TFS!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #692
Kookie Creator

Smile

Re: The Frugal Crafters Stamping Tool

Thank you!!!! Love the effect!!!! Can't wait to try this!!!!

Last edited by purplepatch; 05-15-2012 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: shorten post
Old 05-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #693
Insane Embellisher

Default DIY "Distress Stain"

Hi stampers, I posted this in the watercolor thread but thought I share here too. I made my own version of distress stain using a set of 12 dauber top bingo bottles I purchesd from oriental trading co. for $7.

I used watercolor tube paint (the cheap student kind) and water. Here is the first card I made:

they are so much fun to play with and you can make a set of 12 for the cost of 2 bottles of TH distress stain and they are refilliable!

I hope this is useful!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #694
Crimping Master

Wow, I love it!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #695
Insane Embellisher

Default get the distress marker look with watercolor crayons

Did you know you can get the look of TH distress markers with watercolor crayons?
The butterflies on this card show the stamping with the crayons.
thanks for looking!
Lindsay

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 05-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #696
Pearl-ExPert

Lindsay I watched your video yesterday morning. It was soooo good. You were hilarious! I love your videos. I watched another video from another blogger who I am sure is quite lovely and wonderful. I played Burger Shop through it, lol. I watched your video and didn't play Burger Shop. When you have your own craft show someday (I know you will) don't change your video style.

I am going to throw in another make do for Tim's marker's. I made a comment on Lindsay's blog about it too. I made my own Tim marker's. I hacked Tim's distress inks. I don't have anything against Tim's inks. I love Tim. I just don't want to own all of them because I don't have a lot of room for Tim stuff, lol. I really love to make my own products.

Tim uses a lot of watercolor additives like Ox Gall, Gum Arabic in his Distress Inks. I took my reinkers, watercolors & additves to make my own DI's. I have gotten really good results. I do own a couple of his ink's so I could make comparisons.

I mix my own batches of ink and I take the Ranger Cut & Dry Pen Nibs and dip them in my fake Tim ink. Here's the product I use: Ranger Inkssentials Cut-N-Dry Nibs - 10PK*: embellishment tools*: scrapbooking tools*: scrapbooking*: *Shop | Joann.com

It works really well. I also read over at 2Peas that a member uses the same Cut & Dry Pen Nibs to dip in her Distress Inks to color with way before Tim announced his markers.

Lindsay- I loved your shimmer mist tips! I almost forgot to mention that.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 05-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #697
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Lindsay I watched your video yesterday morning. It was soooo good. You were hilarious! I love your videos. I watched another video from another blogger who I am sure is quite lovely and wonderful. I played Burger Shop through it, lol. I watched your video and didn't play Burger Shop. When you have your own craft show someday (I know you will) don't change your video style.

I am going to throw in another make do for Tim's marker's. I made a comment on Lindsay's blog about it too. I made my own Tim marker's. I hacked Tim's distress inks. I don't have anything against Tim's inks. I love Tim. I just don't want to own all of them because I don't have a lot of room for Tim stuff, lol. I really love to make my own products.

Tim uses a lot of watercolor additives like Ox Gall, Gum Arabic in his Distress Inks. I took my reinkers, watercolors & additves to make my own DI's. I have gotten really good results. I do own a couple of his ink's so I could make comparisons.

I mix my own batches of ink and I take the Ranger Cut & Dry Pen Nibs and dip them in my fake Tim ink. Here's the product I use: Ranger Inkssentials Cut-N-Dry Nibs - 10PK*: embellishment tools*: scrapbooking tools*: scrapbooking*: *Shop | Joann.com

It works really well. I also read over at 2Peas that a member uses the same Cut & Dry Pen Nibs to dip in her Distress Inks to color with way before Tim announced his markers.

Lindsay- I loved your shimmer mist tips! I almost forgot to mention that.
Thanks DeeAnn! How do you store your nibs between use? I wonder...I have a bunch of old LePlume and Whisper markers that were never that juicy, maybe I could refil them with your recipe? I could not bear to toss the dries up ones because I knew they must be a way to refill them. Thanks for the sweet comment!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #698
Pearl-ExPert

Your welcome.

I store my nibs in the little tiny bags made for beads. You can get a set of 100 at WalMart for 97 cents. My DH has been bringing home broken pens and markers from Joplin. He's doing a lot of the construction up there. The tornado threw markers & pens everywhere from the schools that were destroyed. It made me cry seeing all those school supplies destroyed. I wanted to give them love again. I have been taking the tops off the broken pens and sticking my nibs inside. It works great for me. I have been able to save some of the marker tubes to use as a handle for my nibs. Most are cracked beyond repair.

I bet you could refill the old Whisper & LePlume Markers. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. My LePlume's are still really juicy or I would try it.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #699
Insane Embellisher

Default refill waterbased markers

Hi there, yesterday I refilled my LePlume, Whisper and Tombow markers that were becoming dried out. I colored the below card with my refilled markers, I think they blended pretty well and I am not that great at coloring with the watercolor markers, I could not get them to blend well before but I am happy with this!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Old 06-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #700
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Yahoo to heylookatme

SUPER idea! Thanx! : )
Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #701
Compulsive Stamper

great idea
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #702
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Hi there, yesterday I refilled my LePlume, Whisper and Tombow markers that were becoming dried out. I have a video tutorial with an ink recipe on my blog. Thanks to DeeAnn for the tip on using gum arabic to make my markers blend like the Tim Holtz Distress ones, it worked like a charm! I colored the below card with my refilled markers, I think they blended pretty well and I am not that great at coloring with the watercolor markers, I could not get them to blend well before but I am happy with this!

Just want to say -- this works GREAT!!! Thanks to this clever lady's video, I was able to not just make the recipe for refill solution, but see exactly how to go about "getting inside" the markers to apply it properly. I had a bunch of old-ish and/or second-hand markers that are all now as GOOD AS NEW.

I really hate to waste/throw away anything that seems salvageable, and so this marker resuscitation project literally made my week! Thanks again.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Old 06-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #703
Insane Embellisher

you are welcome! I went to a stamp show last weekend and pivked up a few distress markers to compare ad I can honestly say that my refilled oned are just as good (maybe better!) Don't ya love saving $$?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #704
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to Txfarmgirl

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I like to hit garage sales and usually in the free buckets people have you can find little odds and ends game pieces from when games were lost, sometimes whole bags. These are great for all kinds of embellishments.

I'm a work in progress!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #705
Kookie Creator

subbing....LOVE all the ideas! I like to hit yard/garage sales and find some treasures to embellish my stuff! Last week I picked up 12 wooden tags...can't wait to glue Christmas paper/gems on them for a neat tag for candy containers! Maybe I should get off my computer and get to work! Keep the ideas coming!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #706
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
you are welcome! I went to a stamp show last weekend and pivked up a few distress markers to compare ad I can honestly say that my refilled oned are just as good (maybe better!) Don't ya love saving $$?
Lindsay, I was wondering if you would get some of the new Distress Markers. I am excited the refill recipe worked so well for you. I am trying to make Tim's new Summer ink colors, lol.

I have a great tutorial to share. If you have been wanting Teresa Collin's new Stampmaker without paying the price I discovered this tutorial on how to make your own acrylic stamps: making stamps my way « Cheeky Magpie

I don't know if I shared this one before so if I did apologies. If you like Jolee's embellishments but don't want to pay the Jolee's price use your die cutters to recreate your favorite Jolee's embellishment. You can also use free coloring pages on the Internet, coloring books. I keep a small tin with bits and bobs that I know are used on Jolee's embellishments to add to my creations.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #707
Crimping Master

Whoa, DeeAnn, this is just too cool. Thanks for sharing. I usually carve the stamps I can find, but then I am limited to bold line or solid with detail, not finely detailed stamps. Will certainly look into this soon.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #708
Matboard Maniac

This is a little off topic but I have soooo much DP and I rarely make less than 6 cards since I send lots of cards to OWH. I usually buy more than 1 paper pack. I made over 50 cards from 3 packs of Jillibean soup. So I used what I had on hand for awhile and was so happy to use it all. This thread has really made me look hard and get busy using what I have.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #709
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFan60 View Post
This is a little off topic but I have soooo much DP and I rarely make less than 6 cards since I send lots of cards to OWH. I usually buy more than 1 paper pack. I made over 50 cards from 3 packs of Jillibean soup. So I used what I had on hand for awhile and was so happy to use it all. This thread has really made me look hard and get busy using what I have.

good for you! I really need to use what I have and not keep ordering stuff.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #710
Stazon Splitcoast

I have so much DP. I am using the ones I am not really fond of it to make envelopes to match the card. I have been staying away form craft stores and SU parties. I have way toooooo much.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’ Audrey Hepburn[

Joan
Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #711
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the kind words. I get so many good tips and inspiration here at SCS. I don't know any one who really does the same crafts as me. Except for the local small stamping store but they aren't very friendly even though I've been in there dozens of times. Guess I don't spend enough, but can't help that I need to use coupons at M's, J's and HL when I can.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #712
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFan60 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I get so many good tips and inspiration here at SCS. I don't know any one who really does the same crafts as me. Except for the local small stamping store but they aren't very friendly even though I've been in there dozens of times. Guess I don't spend enough, but can't help that I need to use coupons at M's, J's and HL when I can.
It took me a few seconds to remember what OWH was. I felt goofy when I did remember. I think that is so great you do that.

I don't do the same crafts as anyone either. I understand how you feel. I hardly spend money at the craft stores anymore, lol. I go in the stores and say "I can make that." "I bet I could make that." I carry notebook with me and write down notes of things I want to make. I tend to buy items to make my things. I really love it.

I am going through my storage shed in the garge this week and getting rid of all my craft items I packed away. I was holding on to them in case my "Make do's" didn't work or I wasn't too happy with the results. I am so excited about it because I can give away my items to those who will love them, plus I can get my holiday items out now, ROFL!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #713
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Lindsay, I was wondering if you would get some of the new Distress Markers. I am excited the refill recipe worked so well for you. I am trying to make Tim's new Summer ink colors, lol.

I have a great tutorial to share. If you have been wanting Teresa Collin's new Stampmaker without paying the price I discovered this tutorial on how to make your own acrylic stamps: making stamps my way « Cheeky Magpie

I don't know if I shared this one before so if I did apologies. If you like Jolee's embellishments but don't want to pay the Jolee's price use your die cutters to recreate your favorite Jolee's embellishment. You can also use free coloring pages on the Internet, coloring books. I keep a small tin with bits and bobs that I know are used on Jolee's embellishments to add to my creations.
That is cool! I saw a video from photocentric and they now sell a imagepack that is designed to work with a table lamp. It takes a lot longer than the stampmaker (about 20 minutes) but the price of the packets of polymer is about the same price. I bout a TC stampmaker on sale for $100 with packets and transparencies in Feubruary from Custom Crops with free shipping and it was totally worth it to me, I'm glad I did because I never saw it at that price again! I like your tutorial tho, it is nice to do it on the cheap too!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #714
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I grabbed a few markers atr the stamp show and yes, the refill solution you reccomended (I added gum arabic because I had no oxgall) and it workds just as well as the tim holtz markers! I'm glad I did not but the whole set!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #715
Kookie Creator

I wish I had seen the marker tips that you ladies used to reuse your Marvy markers-mine dried out a few months ago and I pitched them thinking they were no good. Rats!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #716
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! What a fabulous thread. I love making do..and this is the ultimate! Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #717
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
That is cool! I saw a video from photocentric and they now sell a imagepack that is designed to work with a table lamp. It takes a lot longer than the stampmaker (about 20 minutes) but the price of the packets of polymer is about the same price. I bout a TC stampmaker on sale for $100 with packets and transparencies in Feubruary from Custom Crops with free shipping and it was totally worth it to me, I'm glad I did because I never saw it at that price again! I like your tutorial tho, it is nice to do it on the cheap too!
Oooh, I am going to have to look for the ImagePacs for a table lamp. That would be good for me since it's a convenient setup at my table. When I was doing my research I found this video: Rubber Stamp Making Kit Video Instructions - YouTube for a table lamp. She is from the UK, I think, and I really didn't know if their wattage was different than the States so I didn't want to try it because I know I would fumble it. There you go UK girls a You Tube video for you on how to make your own polymer stamps with a table lamp.

I was going to buy the StampMaker. I didn't want the TC one. I am getting a really nice nail dryer in a few months so I was going to use that. I do a lot of nail art. I don't want to have two nail dryers in my home, lol. That is essentially want the TC one is.

I have a lot of animals and plants so I have the lighting setup extras for the Cheeky Magpie tutorial. I thought I could do that. I do like the tabletop setup better for me. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #718
Pearl-ExPert

I have another make do tip but this one is kind of hard core.

If your into the Cabochon rage right now (I am) you can make your own cabochons with resins and molds. You can find all sorts of beautiful molds on Ebay, Etsy, Dollar Tree & your craft stores. You can even buy the Stampin Up flower in a mold. You can even make your own molds. Lots of tutorials on Google & You Tube.

I want to add a note. Resin is very smelly. Please don't use Resin around your small animals or birds. It's very toxic to birds. The craft stores do sell a low odor resin. I am using this now and I like it. I was terrified to try resin since I have a lot of furbabies and I am asthmatic. I still keep my house well ventilated when using it because I am paranoid like that, lol.

I also use a resin type acrylic for my nail art. I make all my acrylic nail art like the little flowers & seashells that are popular in nail art. I also use my nail art designs when I make cards. They make such cute embellishments. They are very tiny but add a lot of prettiness. Another make do idea for those into nail art.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #719
Insane Embellisher

This is the best thread! I've gotten so many tips and tricks here. I come back time and again. Love The Frugal Crafter! Lindsey you ROCK!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #720
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah636 View Post
This is the best thread! I've gotten so many tips and tricks here. I come back time and again. Love The Frugal Crafter! Lindsey you ROCK!
awww, thanks

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: SPR