Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #641
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady View Post
How many of you go without double face tape? And what do you use in place of it besides glue dots?
I use glue runner mostly, but I seriously shop SALE- like buying at Tuesday Morning (where I got 4 rolls of AdTech for $7). Also lately hit a deal at the grocery store, of all places- Scotch double face tape for $1 a roll (bought all they had!). I, too, finally bought a Glue Glider, very cheaply, at Oh My Crafts, but I just don't like it as well as the smaller glue runners. I've scored great deals at Big Lots, too.
And Stampo at Viva LasVegasStamps has Miracle tape deals which are wonderful. I bought mine from him in Vegas when we were there (no shipping charge!). It's great tape, and the bundle deal is very affordable- you get SO much!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #642
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenevita View Post
I've found lots of note card sets at Ollie's for $0.99...10 or 20 cards and envelopes per se...soooo cheap! If it has "Thank You" or something on the front I just cover it with a stamped image and layers or embellishments! I'm about to turn a 20 card/envie kraft set into something beachy for a cardfront swap at a shoebox gathering in CT. I have some other sets with beautiful graphic flowers all over them that I want to layer with velum stamped with one similar flower. I make lots of cards for From Our Hearts to send to the troops so these sets make a great base to use to mass produce cards for them.
I love your idea for using sets of cards with flowers on them. I have a perfect set for this! Thanks!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #643
Rubber Obsessor

Lindsaymay - Thank you so much for the tip! I used to get the 3M tape at the Dollar Tree but they don't carry it anymore. What a great deal Sam's has.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #644
Hardware Hotshot

Some really great ideas and one of them just saved me some time (and $$$) as I now don't have to run out this afternoon for red gemstones. I just colored some that I had with my red Copics as suggested in this thread and it looks like they will dry to be EXACTLY the shade I want. And, it lets me use up some gemstones that I might not have used otherwise.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #645
Compulsive Stamper

Aw Wish we has a Sam's here!
A lot of the the double sided tape we have in the UK is rubbish! the bits fall off your cards and projects.
I use Anita's tacky glue now, for most things.And Glue stick.
Hope all you ladies are well.rosie.x
dkimberlin likes this post.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #646
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierosie View Post
A lot of the the double sided tape we have in the UK is rubbish! the bits fall off your cards and projects.
I agree with Rosie, at least about Dollar store double sided tape and glue sticks! A lot of it isn't worth the money you pay for it. Walmart quit selling the 3M double sided replacement tape and each one of the individual tapes are 5 dollars apiece and it's not very green, either! I've looked at Office Supply stores and craft stores around here for the boxes of the replacements and so far, nada! Now if I wanted to, I could buy the gun for $32.00 and each of the little tapes to go with it, but it costs even more to go that route. In my opinion, Scotch/3M is getting a little greedy for the crafting dollar.

I'll have to look at the hardware stores and Sam's Club around here and see what I can find. No tape, no card-making.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #647
Rubber Obsessor

The most recent deal I found was for a Tape Runner Gun (the pink one they have at Michaels and AC Moore) for onlyh $20 online shipped and a box full of replacement tapes from the Tape Depot. It has saved me tons of money as well as a whole lotta frustration. I hate running out of tape during a project. I use a lot of tape and I don't skimp so the tape guns are the only way for me to go.

I've never had any luck with Tombo and/or Glue sticks. I have had great luck with PVA book binders glue but you have to be very careful to only use a scant amount or the paper buckles and warps.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #648
Compulsive Stamper

Hi ,i wouldn't use PVA for cardmaking,it is too slow drying and WILL buckle your paper.Try Anita's tacky glue instead it is marvelous and dries quickly, never buckles, and things don't fall off.I use it for all my cardmaking.hugs to all.Rosie.x
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #649
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I saw Michael Strong on a episode of Carol Duvall's and he was great! I have since bought a bunch of his stamps and he has good embossing powder. He has videos on his strongstamps.com website that uses the pages of mags for card making and a blog entry I think where he uses the metal part of a tealight candle run thru a cuttlebug then dabbed with alcohol inks to make a flower. And he has alot of other ways to reuse instead of buy new.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #650
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFan60 View Post
I saw Michael Strong on a episode of Carol Duvall's and he was great! I have since bought a bunch of his stamps and he has good embossing powder. He has videos on his strongstamps.com website that uses the pages of mags for card making and a blog entry I think where he uses the metal part of a tealight candle run thru a cuttlebug then dabbed with alcohol inks to make a flower. And he has alot of other ways to reuse instead of buy new.
How can I find these videos? Thanks for the info. Really looks interesting.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #651
Matboard Maniac

just search Michael Strong rubber stamps and a few things will come up and click on strongstamps.com. He is pretty funny but is a good recycaler(is that a word?).
Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #652
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFan60 View Post
just search Michael Strong rubber stamps and a few things will come up and click on strongstamps.com. He is pretty funny but is a good recycaler(is that a word?).
Thank you so much. Watched about 5 videos and will view more tomorrow. Learned a lot.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #653
Mad Swapper

I must admit, I use pound store DST a lot. The only thing I have noticed it that it does discolour a little after a year or so( on cards I made for hubby that he kept)- but this only shows up on white/very pale colours. So now I use a better brand if I am layering white/pale colours,on cards that I know or suspect will be kept as a keepsake. Do you have a brand known as STIX2 over there? Or if you can find it over here somewhere with low/free international shipping? It is a really good brand, has tape runners(like correction tape runners), glues, DST's, adhesive sheets- pretty much any kind of adhesive you can think of.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #654
Pearl-ExPert

I was at Staples today and I saw a large box of 3M double sided tape. I think it was around $20. I don't know if it was just the tape dispensers or refill. It did have several in the box.

I don't know if I read it on this board or a different board/blog but the generic double sided tape from Staples is supposed to be excellent. I think it also can be refilled.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #655
Insane Embellisher

Here is a timely tip! use Easter egg dyes to make spray ink! Just don't add vinegar. It works just as well and you can mix the colors to get the shade you want. You can use it for painting and dying your scrap-supplies as well as I did on this layout (plus if you used the same dyes on your SB page as the kids use for the eggs they will match perfectly!) You should be able to grab these cheap tomorrow, I only paid $1 for the dies and buckets in the photo:

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #656
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=lindsaymay;18801095]Hello my friend!
I like to use foam bath blocks (baby blocks made of foam-Target had packs of them for $1) and heat them with a heat tool and press them on textured stuff to make stamps!

How awesome! Thank you for sharing and I love the video. Great idea.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #657
Matboard Maniac

If you work at an office, check out the cover on the paper reams. I have been taking it home and using the inside to do backgrounds on, they take alcohol inks really well, almost like glossy cardstock as it's a coated surface, and NOT recyclable according to our recycling company. It's thin so doesn't add a lot of weight to the card either.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #658
Mad Swapper

I saw a background page in a scrapbook stamped with the inside of corrugated cardboard on brown grocery sack looking paper. It was a cool look and how cheap is that?
I went to Home Depot this last weekend and looked at the carpet tape. How do you cut it into pieces? I ended up buying a package of Frost King Shrink Window Mounting Tape which is double faced tape used on the windows with shrink plastic. It was almost $9.00 for inch wide tape at 162 foot long.
While I was there, I found a bin of self-adhesive felt pads used as pads on the bottom of chair legs so they don’t scratch bare floors. There were 160 round pads packages by Waxman Soft Touch for $5.00. I brought them home thinking that I might stick a felt circle to a piece of whittler’s wood by Walnut Hollow I picked up some time ago at Walmart. I found a piece of wood inch x inch x 4 inches long in the package that I’m going to use as an distress ink wood mount. I also have a large zipbag of woodies that someone gave me and I thought about using the bottom end of short wooden candlesticks, but preferred the sticks in my hand instead. I have enough felt pads to make one for every color. The felt pads are kinda light grey in color and 25.4 mm thick.
All my distressing tools are stored in a big round Christmas cookie/biscuit tin I picked up at the thrift/charity shop. I prefer square tins but those are harder to come by.
I purchased some of those tiny honeycomb fold-outs from the charity shop recently from the party/craft section. They had a huge box full of leftover party and craft stuff and I rooted around in it until I found both the honeycombs and bits of leftover crepe paper streamer rolls too which I snatched up for folded medallions. It’s amazing what people give away!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #659
Pearl-ExPert

I use non-stick scissors to cut my carpet tape in pieces.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #660
Insane Embellisher

Default DIY Inkadinkado stamp gears!

So I was so excited when I saw the video from CHA of the stamping gear tool from inkadinkado that I made my own version.

Here are some backgrounds I stamped with it:

Best of all it only takes a few minutes to make and my homemade stamp mount is larger so you can stamp a page in one rotation! I think I will try to find a larger plastic lid as well. I hope this is usefull to someone

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #661
Crimping Master

Wow! Really amazing. Trouble is I have no acrylic mount stamps.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #662
Embossing Fanatic

Some great ideas here!! You guys are so lucky to have so many stores where you can purchase so many bargains!! Very limited here, and not always so cheap. We only have one scrapbooking store in town and items way overpriced. I get a lot of stuff online and usually always from the U.S.
My money saving ideas... I used a 'yellow' copic on an 'antique silver' brad the other day and it came out a beautiful gold color. I use cereal boxes and any other sort of 'card' packaging for covers on mini albums and post it note covers.
I have started to unmount my wood stamps and have been trying to come up with ways to use the (numerous) blocks. I am in desperate need of some new sponging blocks, so will get of sheet of Ranger foam and cut it up and attache to some of the smaller blocks.
Any other ideas would be great. And also, what does everyone do with all those clam Shells that the wood stamps came in???
Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #663
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
Ooo,oooo, oooo! I just bought one of these at the thrift store and hadn't put it into use yet. What a great idea. Mine are currently in a drawer and I just don't think of them often enough as a result! Thanks for the great idea!
Great idea!! I've also seen this hanger used for ribbon rolls!!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #664
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
check out hanging on the door in this picture- I use an old multi-layer hanger meant for pants to store my wheels. Easy, and it was already in my house, not being used!

fabric storage in my craft room by contrapat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
this is the original quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #665
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelmargores View Post
Here's a video on youtube (not mine) that shows how to make them quite easily. Step away from the phone and put down the credit card.

YouTube - Funky faux brads
I just watched this video. great idea!! i also noticed she used a 'syringe' to dispense her glue. What another great idea. This would give you so much more control over your glue!! I am pretty sure you can purchase these from a chemist (pharmacy). I remember having one when my boys were babys for giving them medicine.
I am loving this thread!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #666
Embossing Fanatic

OH!! Ok. i was wondering what 'Sugar & Cream Yarn' was. I have crochet yarn!! Great idea...again!!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #667
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjj View Post
Some great ideas here!! You guys are so lucky to have so many stores where you can purchase so many bargains!! Very limited here, and not always so cheap. We only have one scrapbooking store in town and items way overpriced. I get a lot of stuff online and usually always from the U.S.
My money saving ideas... I used a 'yellow' copic on an 'antique silver' brad the other day and it came out a beautiful gold color. I use cereal boxes and any other sort of 'card' packaging for covers on mini albums and post it note covers.
I have started to unmount my wood stamps and have been trying to come up with ways to use the (numerous) blocks. I am in desperate need of some new sponging blocks, so will get of sheet of Ranger foam and cut it up and attache to some of the smaller blocks.
Any other ideas would be great. And also, what does everyone do with all those clam Shells that the wood stamps came in???
I don't unmount---love the feel of the wood in my hand---so people give me their blocks from unmounting. Same goes for the clam shell boxes. Since I "break" my sets and reorganize by theme, I reuse the boxes. I've even bought more boxes. Know this doesn't help you much, but perhaps someone else near near you could take them off your hands. I also store supplies (buttons, sponges, feathers, beads etc.) in the clam shell boxes. If you use all one size (for cones or shells, for example), it makes for a nice neat storage solution. I also use them to hold embossing powders so I can spoon the powder over the image and dump it back into the box right away. There are some techniques you can use a clam shell box for, too---i.e. marble BG, foiling small pieces, bubble BG. The blocks can be used to make some nifty gifts. By cutting a 1/4" inch slit in them, they can be recipe holders or even handmade card display holders. They may be schools that can use them for art projects, math manipulatives or toys for the little ones.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #668
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
Skin So Soft also works fabulously well for removing sticky gunk, like from unmounting stamps, or from wood blocks so you can mount onto them. Not to mention getting tape residue off garage sale buys, and store price sticker residue (from clearance items, naturally, lol!). I keep a small spray bottle of Skin So Soft in the kitchen to use for those kinds of situations. And I keep one of those Pampered Chef little brown plastic scrapers right next to it, to scrape the labels off stuff. (I'm sure there are cheaper little plastic scrapers somewhere, I just have tons of the PC ones, from obsessive buying of stoneware!)
I have taken garage sale or ebay hideously stained (but cheap!) rubber stamps, and made the rubber look like new, using SSS. A big bottle will last ages, since you only need a little to clean or destick things. And keep an eye out at garage sales or flea markets for dealers selling it cheap. (My Avon lady has occasional 40% off everything sales- that's when I buy!)
Okay, I am known as Queen of the Cheapettes, lol!
Thanks for this idea. Now all i have to do is find an Avon lady!!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #669
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
I don't unmount---love the feel of the wood in my hand---so people give me their blocks from unmounting. Same goes for the clam shell boxes. Since I "break" my sets and reorganize by theme, I reuse the boxes. I've even bought more boxes. Know this doesn't help you much, but perhaps someone else near near you could take them off your hands. I also store supplies (buttons, sponges, feathers, beads etc.) in the clam shell boxes. If you use all one size (for cones or shells, for example), it makes for a nice neat storage solution. I also use them to hold embossing powders so I can spoon the powder over the image and dump it back into the box right away. There are some techniques you can use a clam shell box for, too---i.e. marble BG, foiling small pieces, bubble BG. The blocks can be used to make some nifty gifts. By cutting a 1/4" inch slit in them, they can be recipe holders or even handmade card display holders. They may be schools that can use them for art projects, math manipulatives or toys for the little ones.
Thanks so much for the tips for the clam shells. Embossing powders will definitely go in them. I have used a larger one to store my acrylic blocks, as they were just sitting on a shelf and were getting a fine layer of dust. I will also see if the local school can use the blocks.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #670
Insane Embellisher

Default DIY card pull-strip like PTI die

I figured out how to make a pull strip on cards like the PTI die
I used PTI stamps on this card: Garden Variety and Year of flowers.

It is easy and you can do it with many tools you likely have already

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 AM   #671
Insane Embellisher

Default Art clay

Hi ladies, I came up with a recipe for clay this weekend trying to replicate the new Martha Stewart clay

I ended up with a beautifil clay that captures great detail in molds and also sculpts well. When it is dry it is very lightweight and feels like porcelain. Here are some pics:

I only had to dirty one bowl, one measuring cup and one measuring spoon and mixer/scraper but they cleaned up really easily so don't worry about the mess Thanks for looking! I hope it is useful!

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-03-2012 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #672
Insane Embellisher

I forgot to mention it dries with a matt finish, the bottom rose is dry, the top two pics the clay is wet right after being molded/sculpted
Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #673
Crimping Master

Oh, Wow! I can follow your recipe, but now to be able to fashion such lovely pieces. Just amazing what you have done. TFS
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #674
Pearl-ExPert

I know Lindsay is just AMAZING! I was so excited to see that tutorial yesterday. My DH makes and delivers sheetrock, spackle and other items to make clay. His boss always gives me items so I can make things. I have a lot of joint compound in my home. !

I showed my DH Lindsay's recipe yesterday and he was just as excited, lol. We have a ton of ideas now. My Father used to make a lot of clay when I was a little girl. I loved to work in clay. My Father didn't want to spend a fortune in clay for me. He used to make up batches of clay using joint compound. I forgot all about that until I saw Lindsay's tutorial. My Mom still has many of my clay pieces from when I was a little girl and I just turned 4+0. The projects do last a long time.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #675
Insane Embellisher

that is good to hear DeeAnn! I discoverd that if your clay warps when it dries (like the thin stamped plaque I made here did) you can place it face down on a silicone mat and heat it with a heat gun for a few seconds then press a stamp block to it and keep it there as it cools and it will flatten it out just like you would do to shrink plastic. Also if you have kids and they use play-doh check out their molds, my girls have some cupcake and icecream play doh kits with great molds in them like doughnuts, cherries, peanuts and cakes. Something tells me I won't get any dusting done today LOL!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #676
Glitter Queen

I had to buy a roll of foil tape from Home Depot for my dryer duct. I have a whole roll of it and we'd probably never use it again (not anytime soon anyways) so I decided to use it in my crafting. Foil tape is really expensive at craft stores and the stuff they sell is really small. I adhered it to some heavier cardstock and ran it through my Big Shot with one of Tim Holtz's new metal texture fade and came up with the attached card. I rubbed some alcohol inks on it to weather it but you can also leave it super shiny. You can use aluminum foil as well but the foil tape will definitely come in handier and it's thicker. The roll I used is 2" wide and cost about $7-8. They have thicker rolls - probably about 4" wide and that runs about $15. Still, not a bad investment. A roll goes a looooong way.
Attached Thumbnails
foil_tape.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #677
Stampin' Fool

Smile

What a neat idea! Love the way the tape looks on your card!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #678
Matboard Maniac

Byerk, I really like your card a lot. I saw Tim Holtz on Carol Duvall's show several years ago demonstrating how to use foil duct tape with alcohol inks to cover books, albums, notebooks, etc. After reading your post, I'm now wondering if attached to cardstock you can emboss it or run it through a Big Shot.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #679
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa May View Post
Byerk, I really like your card a lot. I saw Tim Holtz on Carol Duvall's show several years ago demonstrating how to use foil duct tape with alcohol inks to cover books, albums, notebooks, etc. After reading your post, I'm now wondering if attached to cardstock you can emboss it or run it through a Big Shot.
I don't see why not. I run metal flashing through mine with my Bigz dies all the time and it would be a lot heavier. It might not work with lighter dies, but it's amazing what you can do with the Bigz. BTW, I've also used vinyl siding and it's even thicker.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #680
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogzruleca View Post
I don't see why not. I run metal flashing through mine with my Bigz dies all the time and it would be a lot heavier. It might not work with lighter dies, but it's amazing what you can do with the Bigz. BTW, I've also used vinyl siding and it's even thicker.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try it in my Big Shot this week.