Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #521
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
Just a thought....you could also use a photo, magazine image etc., and decoupage it onto the wood. I unmounted my stamps but still have some on wood. If I unmount those I might just do the photo decoupage thing.
Love the idea for a photo decoupage! That would make such a special and thoughtful gift.

Another idea, it might also be cool to hand paint a letter onto each wood block and spell out a child's name for a kid's room decoration. Or spell words like "love" or "family" and then put it onto the family room mantle.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 AM   #522
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica K View Post

Another idea, it might also be cool to hand paint a letter onto each wood block and spell out a child's name for a kid's room decoration. Or spell words like "love" or "family" and then put it onto the family room mantle.
Love this idea! Once again I'm wishing that SCS had a like button like FB!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #523
Gallery Gazer

Happy 4th of July Weekend! Enjoy!!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #524
Glitter Queen

The dollar store sells packs of cheap scrubber sponges - I think they're something like ten for a dollar - with a green scrubber side and a soft yellow foam sponge side. You can peel off the scrubber side and use the soft foam sponge side to make sponge daubers.

Cut the side of an empty cereal box into strips about 4" by 10", and roll up into a tube about 3/4" to 1" diameter.

Cut a circle from one of the foam sponges just a bit wider than the diameter of the tube, and place over the opening of the tube.
Take another foam sponge (again, without the scrubber side) and lay that over the sponge circle, bending down the sides of the foam sponge to lay flat along the sides of the tube, and quickly use a ball of yarn or string or dental floss to wrap around and around the overlapped sponge sides to fasten them flat to the sides of the tube. When wrapping the yarn around and around, try to catch all the little corners of the sponge to fasten them down flat to the sides of the tube.
When you have wrapped enough yarn so that it seems to hold down all the edges of the sponge, cut the yarn end and tie it off or wrap some tape around it so it will stay.
It looks a little crude but it works great as a sponge dauber.

Costs about ten cents each, much cheaper than buying ready-made sponge daubers. At that price, I've treated myself to the luxury of one for every color ink, and store each in its own little ziplock bag.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #525
Stampin' Fool

I have found packs of make-up sponges at my dollar store, 20 for a buck! A friend just told me about a trick she heard to get the cheap leis at the dollar store, take them apart, and use the flowers. I am off to see if they have any!
I make cards for Operation Write Home (OWH)
Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #526
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle Getzler View Post
Costs about ten cents each, much cheaper than buying ready-made sponge daubers. At that price, I've treated myself to the luxury of one for every color ink, and store each in its own little ziplock bag.
Good idea - thanks.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #527
Compulsive Stamper

Default That dauber idea

is really good,i shall try it!
Thought you might like to see an ATC i made with a fish on it.The fish was made from'no-nails', which i mentioned in an earlier post.Hope everyone is well.rosiex
Attached Thumbnails
000_0240.jpg  

Last edited by rosierosie; 08-08-2011 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #528
Pearl-ExPert

Wow RosieRosie! That is an amazing ATC. The fish is stunning! I love all the details you put in your creation.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #529
Compulsive Stamper

Smile HI

Dee,ann, thanks so much for the praise! I am a bit new to ATCs, but am enjoying it.The fish was made using a waste piece from some chipboard shapes,i used it like a stecil with the 'no-'nails paste,then when it was dry i painted it gold and added a bead eye.Do you do ATCs? have a nice day.Rosiex
Old 08-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #530
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I use the Liquitex Iridescent Medium. You can find it at Michael's or any of your art supply stores. I think the Windsor & Newton is slightly cheaper.
The inclusions in the Liquitex iridescent medium are smaller than the Windsor & Newton so it might be ok in the mini mister spray bottles. The W&N stuff definitely clogs the nozzle. The W&N also looks more like very fine glitter as opposed to shimmer.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #531
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierosie View Post
Dee,ann, thanks so much for the praise! I am a bit new to ATCs, but am enjoying it.The fish was made using a waste piece from some chipboard shapes,i used it like a stecil with the 'no-'nails paste,then when it was dry i painted it gold and added a bead eye.Do you do ATCs? have a nice day.Rosiex
I am impressed you are new to ATC's. That is pro work. I love to do ATC's but I have not done any for awhile. I was on an inchie kick a couple of months ago. I had a lot of fun with that. Now, I am on making my own embellishments kick.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:42 AM   #532
Compulsive Stamper

Red face Aw Deeann

i am blushing!! thanks ever so much for your lovely comments.
Where abouts do you live? are you from here( U.K.) ? I could send you the ATC if you liked.No worries if you don't want to disclose your addy.Take care Rosie.x
Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #533
Stampin' Fool

I went to Costco today and always grab a box or two. One to put the goodies in and one for newspaper recycling. Today I noticed a pretty lilac covered box which was used to display Kirkland Shampoo. The center of it had a divider and when I looked at it I thought, magazine holder. I took it. All I need to do is cover the 2 sides which have printing on them with a nice designer paper and a narrow strip across the bottom front and I have a free magazine holder for my craft room.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #534
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineBK View Post
I went to Costco today and always grab a box or two. One to put the goodies in and one for newspaper recycling. Today I noticed a pretty lilac covered box which was used to display Kirkland Shampoo. The center of it had a divider and when I looked at it I thought, magazine holder. I took it. All I need to do is cover the 2 sides which have printing on them with a nice designer paper and a narrow strip across the bottom front and I have a free magazine holder for my craft room.
Lorraine, we are kindred spirits for sure. When I was doing some craft shows I found a wonderful box like that with dividers at Sam's Club. I spray painted it black and used it in my craft table display. It worked great and held up, too.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 08-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #535
Stampin' Fool

LOL. You just can't beat free. I happened to check my Paypal credit card balance and looked at what comprised my almost $400.00 bill. All craft stuff. It's a good thing I pay the bills because my DH would have no choice but to kill me. I have to get a grip. I got an email from Heartfelt Creations and they just came out with new basket dies and stamps. I want a few of those but I'm going to be good and not buy them - now. They're really pretty and different.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #536
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierosie View Post
i am blushing!! thanks ever so much for your lovely comments.
Where abouts do you live? are you from here( U.K.) ? I could send you the ATC if you liked.No worries if you don't want to disclose your addy.Take care Rosie.x
I am in the States. I would love to do an ATC swap with you. Just PM me if your interested. I have been taking a swap break till this Fall. I live in the sister city next to Joplin, MO. I have spent this Summer helping with the devastating tornado clean up. I am a chaser so I took time out to help go through all the storm data that my other chasing friends collected from the Joplin tornado. I am back in swapping mode this Fall. I have a perfect record over at Craftster for swapping.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #537
Mad Swapper

I found a woodgrain painting tool at True Value Hardware (Home Depot has them too) for cheap. Ive been wanting a woodgrain stamp for various reasons and when I saw someone using one on a painting video recently, I just had to get one. It takes a little practice to get it to look right, but looks so nifty when you get done. My head has been percolating with ideas for other projects now! Heres the link to my card:
thefrugalcraftyrushdlady: The Door to my Heart

I also made little notebooks for my Sunday School kids out of tissue boxes. Come see.
thefrugalcraftyrushdlady: Tissue Box Notebooks

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 08-23-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #538
Insane Embellisher

Default Make-up sponges as daubers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiejane929 View Post
I have found packs of make-up sponges at my dollar store, 20 for a buck! A friend just told me about a trick she heard to get the cheap leis at the dollar store, take them apart, and use the flowers. I am off to see if they have any!

Here's a nifty hint I saw on a YouTube video if you want to keep ink off of your fingers while using your make-up sponges as daubers. I've tried this and it's great. Use a medium size office binder clip to grip one end of the make-up sponge. I cut each wedged sponge in half...not lengthwise, just literally cut off the top and then use the bottom half. I get two daubers from each sponge. Love those binder clips.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #539
Pearl-ExPert

I just read a great tip. If you use a lot of liquid glue and you pour it into a container while working. Cover the container with a damp sponge. This keeps the glue from drying out. You can also use the sponge to keep your hands clean while working.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #540
Matboard Maniac

Love this thread! What great ideas!!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #541
Insane Embellisher

Does anyone have an idea of what I can use in the way of a BIG magnet instead of buying a magnet sheet from a crafting site? I just watched a video where the gal put two different sizes of Nestabilities on the magnet sheet and then she ran it through her Big Shot and out came a frame! It was so cool. So, of course, now I need a big magnet mat to do my own. Except I have spent so much getting my Vintaj Big Kick and other "stuff"...well, you've heard the lament before. Any ideas? Wish I knew some commercial places that were giving away GIANT advertising magnets...Hmmmm...maybe someone has an old magnet sign that they used to have on their car that they don't need anymore.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #542
Die Cut Diva

You can put both dies where you want them on the CS and tape both dies with Scotch Tape. I don't use a magnetic sheet to cut a frame.

When I need magnetic sheets to put in my CD cases I buy Magnetic Vent Covers at Home Depot and cut them . I think they are 8" x 15" and 3 in a pack
Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #543
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavioliGirl View Post
Does anyone have an idea of what I can use in the way of a BIG magnet instead of buying a magnet sheet from a crafting site? I just watched a video where the gal put two different sizes of Nestabilities on the magnet sheet and then she ran it through her Big Shot and out came a frame! It was so cool. So, of course, now I need a big magnet mat to do my own. Except I have spent so much getting my Vintaj Big Kick and other "stuff"...well, you've heard the lament before. Any ideas? Wish I knew some commercial places that were giving away GIANT advertising magnets...Hmmmm...maybe someone has an old magnet sign that they used to have on their car that they don't need anymore.
Try vent covers in the home section at WM or somewhere like Lowe's.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #544
Watercolor Wizard

I don't hold my Nesties down with anything at all to cut a frame - just put them on your clear mat as normal and then be careful when you lay your cardstock on top so you don't shift them and you're done!

If you really want something magnetic to hold them, try magnetic photo paper (designed for going through your inkjet printer). It's floppy enough you need to lay it on the cutting mat first then place your Nesties (the dies will just flop off if you try to pick up the sheet on its own). I have some and it works fine but I can never be bothered to find it! Try the dollar store for packs of a couple of sheets.

My blog
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #545
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavioliGirl View Post
ohh, ohhh, me, me! I get loads of magnet sheets for free. My local sign/banner shop gives me the scraps (and scrap sticky back vinyl) of magnet sheets. It is the materail they use on car signs. It is quite strong. The sizes I get range from 6"x9"-10-12" and they call them scraps. I wouls call your local shops and ask them if they can save the scraps for you, give them a few weeks to collect some, if you often do projects with kids they are more happy to part with the scraps, I usually end up giving a lot to my kids teachers. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #546
Insane Embellisher

Vents covers, magnetic paper and scraps!!! Got it! Thank you so much. Never heard of the first two before, but I'll scope out the local stores. Scraps...brilliant idea and I'll see if the local "sign shop" is willing to part with any.

Just an FYI...I wrote that posting about 11 p.m. [my time] last night and re-read it along with your kind responses. I was *aghast* because I thought it sounded like I was asking for a handout! I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ask for anything from anyone on the board EXCEPT for your WONDERFUL IDEAS. Thanks everyone and have a great week.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #547
Insane Embellisher

OHHHHHH...and the taping idea would indeed be the most economical way to go...thanks for that one too. I'll probably be trying that one FIRST.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #548
Insane Embellisher

Default Stamp wheel storage {make it for free!}

Hey stampers,
I am so excited, I hunted high and low for a way to store my Stampin Around wheels and I made the perfect thing (with hubby's help) using junk from around the house:

This is an old calender frame my MIL no longer wanted with plywood screwed to the back then nails pounded through from the back to hold my wheels. I can put 3 builder wheels on one peg or a standard and 1 builder on a peg or one jumbo. Full details on this post along with my other wood mount stamp storage:
Stamp Wheel Storage! Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

Thanks for looking, I hope it helps someone looking to store some stamps!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #549
Insane Embellisher

LOL...Lidsay, that is NOT a stamping ROOM, that is a stamping STORE! I am so jealous that I'm literally turning green with envy. [It's starting in my hands and working its way up to my brain!] LOVE, love, love the wheel storage idea. I can't tell...is there something on the end of the nails to keep from harming yourself? Thanks so much for passing along this wonderful storage suggestion.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #550
Die Cut Diva

check out hanging on the door in this picture- I use an old multi-layer hanger meant for pants to store my wheels. Easy, and it was already in my house, not being used!

fabric storage in my craft room by contrapat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 10-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #551
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
check out hanging on the door in this picture- I use an old multi-layer hanger meant for pants to store my wheels. Easy, and it was already in my house, not being used!

fabric storage in my craft room by contrapat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
that's the way my upline stores hers. mine are in the SU cases-made to hold the wheels. i've been thinking of unmounting my wheels. but i only got that far-thinking.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #552
Rubber Obsessor

I have unmounted my wheels and I use them so much more now as I can use any stamp pad and it is easier to keep everything even when I am stamping.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #553
Insane Embellisher

I have unmounted all of the wheels that I feel need to be stamped in a straight line. Those that have curly or busy patterns are still on the wheel. I haven't looked back! Now...what to do with all those empty wheels...hmmmm.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 AM   #554
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post

genuis the use of the pants hangers for wheels! I prefer my method ony because you do not need to remove several to get the one wheel tou want!

As for the pointy nails, no there is nothing on the ends but I put the jumbos on the bottom and they cover the points incase my kids reach up for one. If God forbid the rack falls it will land on my cutting bench and not on someone
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #555
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Yahoo to MelDeLlanos

I've only read the first two pages, so I don't know if this has been mentioned but I wanted to post before I get distracted, or forget!

Our Dollar Tree store sells "cutting mats" in the kitchen area that are supposed to be used as a cutting mat to protect the countertop when you are cutting foods. There are two in a pack, they are HUGE, and clear/white (like your stamp a majig "mat"). I have used them with my stamp a majig, and to cut my own templates, and letters, etc. VERY durable, and inexpensive!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #556
Kookie Creator

You can get the same effect as the Card Candi using a decorated chipboard and a regular hole punch.

Last edited by MelDeLlanos; 10-05-2011 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: added "card candi"
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #557
Glitter Queen

Whenever I see an idea I like, I try to see if I can make something similar with stamps, and supplies that I already have on hand. Sometimes, I may spend just a little bit (maybe a piece of paper or an accent) to achieve the look.

Also, since my budget is rather tight, I give every purchase a lot of thought before I spend money on it. This doesn't mean I never buy anything that is pricey - just that I really think it through first. (Even with all that, I still have made some purchases I regretted, lol!).
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #558
Kookie Creator

I have spent the last 6 hours (on and off of course) reading this thread and making notes!! I have to say, I have a little list of things I'm going to look for when I go to the store!

Lindsay, you are my hero!!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #559
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelDeLlanos View Post
I've only read the first two pages, so I don't know if this has been mentioned but I wanted to post before I get distracted, or forget!

Our Dollar Tree store sells "cutting mats" in the kitchen area that are supposed to be used as a cutting mat to protect the countertop when you are cutting foods. There are two in a pack, they are HUGE, and clear/white (like your stamp a majig "mat"). I have used them with my stamp a majig, and to cut my own templates, and letters, etc. VERY durable, and inexpensive!
Those are great, I place them under stuff I am painting to protect my table and it does not stick to my project! Also you can cut down the mats and use them in the smaller cricut maches as is if you want to cut fondant for cakes or mask the edges and spray on quilters basting spray (it is also what I use to refresh my old cutting mats) and you have a cheap new mat! Unfortunatly they are too small for expression...

I love the idea of a replacement stampamajig mats, I love mine and I am afraid I will lose that darn mat!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #560
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelDeLlanos View Post
I have spent the last 6 hours (on and off of course) reading this thread and making notes!! I have to say, I have a little list of things I'm going to look for when I go to the store!

Lindsay, you are my hero!!
aww thanks, you are too sweet!