Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #441
Compulsive Stamper

I often use those little flower stamens for antennae when making butterfkies. you can get a bundle quite cheaply, and different coulors, and you just fold in half and glue.xx
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #442
Die Cut Diva

I posted this on a Copic thread, but I thought it might be worth repeating here.

If you have Copics you can use just about any white things and color them.
So far I have colored satin and sheer organdy ribbon, buttons, pearls, paper flowers and nylon lace.
The only things I have not been able to color with Copics are metal brads and velvet ribbon.

I did find when I colored the sheer organdy ribbon I had to wipe it with a tissue after it dried. A tiny bit of the color did not absorb into the fibers. It colored beautifully without any streaks
My next experiment is to buy a small amount of seam binding and cotton lace and see how they color

I buy the sheer organdy ribbon from Joanns when they have it on sale at half price. A spool costs $1 and I can have any color I need from that . Generic white buttons are cheap too.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #443
NwP
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I posted this on a Copic thread, but I thought it might be worth repeating here.

So far I have colored satin and sheer organdy ribbon, buttons, pearls, paper flowers and nylon lace.
The only things I have not been able to color with Copics are metal brads and velvet ribbon.

I did find when I colored the sheer organdy ribbon I had to wipe it with a tissue after it dried. A tiny bit of the color did not absorb into the fibers. It colored beautifully without any streaks
My next experiment is to buy a small amount of seam binding and cotton lace and see how they color
I don't have Copics, but I successfully used my Bic Mark-Its to color a sheer white ribbon. I ran the marker across the top and bottom edges of the ribbon and got a beautiful graduated effect.

Also (and this may have been mentioned already in this thread) when I look at ribbon at Hobby Lobby I never look in the papercrafting section. I go to the sewing side and look at the ribbon - the difference in price is unbelievable.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #444
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwP View Post
Also (and this may have been mentioned already in this thread) when I look at ribbon at Hobby Lobby I never look in the papercrafting section. I go to the sewing side and look at the ribbon - the difference in price is unbelievable.
Thanks for mentioning this. When I went to HL this week, I just happened to meander into the sewing section and found beautiful ribbon for a lower price than in the paper and stamp section. Wow, was I surprised.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #445
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwP View Post
I don't have Copics, but I successfully used my Bic Mark-Its to color a sheer white ribbon. I ran the marker across the top and bottom edges of the ribbon and got a beautiful graduated effect.

Also (and this may have been mentioned already in this thread) when I look at ribbon at Hobby Lobby I never look in the paper crafting section. I go to the sewing side and look at the ribbon - the difference in price is unbelievable.
I am sure any alcohol maker will work to color ribbon, buttons, etc. I just have Copics to match my paper

I also found that storage boxes in the fishing department are cheaper than in the craft department.

They price things higher and call them a specialty product..

Years ago when I was sewing clothing, I would go to yard sales the last day of the sale. The sellers are anxious to get rid of the remaining things. I could buy an outdated or worn blouse or dress with "fabulous expensive buttons" on it for $1 or so . One time when I needed new buttons for my coat I bought a shabby coat at a yard sale that had great buttons. The entire coat cost me $2. New coat buttons were nearly $2 each in the store.

I would remove the buttons to use on new garments. You can cut the shank off the buttons to use them on cards.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #446
Mad Swapper

I use buttons with the shank cut off all the time. I've also colored metal brads with Copics. Light colors don't work as well as bright colors. Just have to experiment. For my Christmas cards this year, I dyed 780 gemstones!!! Then I glued them all on by hand!!! But I had so many variations of colors, they were beautiful!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #447
Die Cut Diva

Hum-m-m I had gold brads and tried to color them deep pink and the ink would not adhere to the metal . I will try some other Copic colors Thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 AM   #448
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Years ago when I was sewing clothing, I would go to yard sales the last day of the sale. The sellers are anxious to get rid of the remaining things. I could buy an outdated or worn blouse or dress with "fabulous expensive buttons" on it for $1 or so . One time when I needed new buttons for my coat I bought a shabby coat at a yard sale that had great buttons. The entire coat cost me $2. New coat buttons were nearly $2 each in the store.
People use to think I was crazy for cutting all the buttons off items I was throwing away. The girls at work thought I was weird when I pull all the buttons off a coat that got left behind by a lady who quit her job. I waited about 30 days and she never showed back up and we could get her to answer her phone...so the buttons went home with me and coat went to Goodwill. Another girl told me just recent she will never laugh at me again because she had to buy new buttons for a coat and paid about $20 for a full set...see, we're not so weird after all!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #449
Compulsive Stamper

Hi girls,i don't own copics .but i do have some coloured permanant markers which work well on metal things and buttons.I am lucky that i have some very old buttons including mother of pearl, and some are so small and hand made.I did sell a lot of them on e.bay.
also own a tiny antique jet buckle.just can't bring myself to use it on anything!!!
I have dyed old lace in food colouring, just diluted some in a bowl of water, and left the lace in overnight..have also dyed it with coffee to make it look really old.
You are right about the cost of ribbons in the sewing shops, much cheaper than the craft shop.Hugs to all who may need them.rosie.x
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #450
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah636 View Post
People use to think I was crazy for cutting all the buttons off items I was throwing away. The girls at work thought I was weird when I pull all the buttons off a coat that got left behind by a lady who quit her job. I waited about 30 days and she never showed back up and we could get her to answer her phone...so the buttons went home with me and coat went to Goodwill. Another girl told me just recent she will never laugh at me again because she had to buy new buttons for a coat and paid about $20 for a full set...see, we're not so weird after all!
The Goodwill doesn't care if they get clothing without buttons. They sell most of the clothing and fabric they get to recyclers for making stationery
When my kids were small I would buy men's shirts at yard sales and make blouses and shirts for my kids. Many times older men have new in the package shirts when they die . The family don't want them. I generally spent no more than $2 for a shirt and it had all of the buttons too LOL
Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #451
Compulsive Stamper

I used to do the same,Barbara, Although i had to teach myself to sew, i well remember making dresses for my daughter, and clothes for my son, by recycling clothing,, as money was very short in those days(1966).I used to make nightdresses for my daughter,and grandaughter from adult nighties too.hagd rosie.x
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #452
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierosie View Post
I used to do the same,Barbara, Although i had to teach myself to sew, i well remember making dresses for my daughter, and clothes for my son, by recycling clothing,, as money was very short in those days(1966).I used to make nightdresses for my daughter,and grandaughter from adult nighties too.hagd rosie.x
My kids were born in 1958, 1959 & 1961 LOL
Yup money was tight then . I also had to teach myself to sew. The first cordory crawlers were all hand sewn as I didn't have a sewing machine. First sewing machine was a treadle for $19. Big investment in those days considering our rent was $75 per month. LOL The next year my husband let me "slurge " and buy a buttonhole attachment so I didn't have to make them by hand.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #453
Pearl-ExPert

The greatest invention ever in crafting is the buttonhole attachment for sewing machines. !

I use my alcohol makers to dye items too and I also use my alcohol reinkers.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #454
Compulsive Stamper

My daughter was born i 1963,my eldest son in 1967,and my youngest son in 1971,I can remember making my eldest boys first pair of long trousers,i had no sewing machine either, but my neighbour used to make the uniforms for the Royal Navy, and she gave me a pice of the spare material,and thats what imade the trousers with.My hubby later managed to get me a cheap Singer hand machine,i was i 7th heaven!!!! years later i was given a treadle, and the one i have now is a Frister Rossman that i have had for twenty years.I own some lovely old Singer attachments for ruffling etc.which do fit this machine,although working out how to use them is a puzzle as they are quite big and complicated.!! and now my one brain cell doesn't work very well!lolxx

Last edited by rosierosie; 05-15-2011 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #455
Compulsive Stamper

"Hum-m-m I had gold brads and tried to color them deep pink and the ink would not adhere to the metal . I will try some other Copic colors Thanks"

Sorry if this has been posted before but have you tried colouring brads with embossing powder?
Buy some of the ordinary every-day brass-coloured brads for office use (with split-pin "legs" you use for holding papers together). Press the head of a brad onto a clear Versamark pad, then dip into embossing powder. Heat with heat gun. Voila, a coloured brad! I have a session doing these in different colours so I can match up with various papers. I find silver very useful too. One thing - hold the brad "legs" with a pair of tweezers whilst heating, they can get hot!
Hope you can understand my wooly explanation!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #456
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Hum-m-m I had gold brads and tried to color them deep pink and the ink would not adhere to the metal . I will try some other Copic colors Thanks
Dont forget that Copic ink is transparent so your base colour will show through (try colouring on white and kraft cardstock with the same marker to see the difference). Did your ink really not adhere or was it just that the gold was too dominant for the pink colour to show up? Try the same marker on a white brad and see what happens. Unless your Copic is much darker than the gold (e.g Dark Bark, Black), it's not going to have a dramatic effect.

My blog
Old 05-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #457
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HevnLee2 View Post
I love using tissue/Kleenex boxes. I'm gonna try to upload a picture of what I made using parts of one box. But in case that doesn't work, here's the link.

LoveLee Notes: One Tissue Box

I keep stacks of tissue box panels on hand for quick cards. I have fun disguising them in cards. When I teach repurposing classes I've yet to have anyone figure out what I used without me telling them. Ha ha!
Love the idea using the oval top opening, too creative.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #458
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudgeroonie View Post
"Hum-m-m I had gold brads and tried to color them deep pink and the ink would not adhere to the metal . I will try some other Copic colors Thanks"

Sorry if this has been posted before but have you tried colouring brads with embossing powder?
Buy some of the ordinary every-day brass-coloured brads for office use (with split-pin "legs" you use for holding papers together). Press the head of a brad onto a clear Versamark pad, then dip into embossing powder. Heat with heat gun. Voila, a coloured brad! I have a session doing these in different colours so I can match up with various papers. I find silver very useful too. One thing - hold the brad "legs" with a pair of tweezers whilst heating, they can get hot!
Hope you can understand my wooly explanation!
I have a tutorial on my blog about coloring brads with EP if you want to see it.
Betty's stamp and life musings: You Make Life Bearable...and a small tutorial
Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #459
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I buy the sheer organdy ribbon from Joanns when they have it on sale at half price. A spool costs $1 and I can have any color I need from that . Generic white buttons are cheap too.
I have colored the SU white organza ribbon by laying it on my ink pad and rolling the rubber brayer over it until it colored it. It took a while to dry but I was happy with the results.
Here's a sample of Blushing Bride:
CCC11 April Card by stampindoe - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #460
Insane Embellisher

seam bunding colors perfectly with markers and it stamps well too, I just did a video on that too here: Perfectly Stamped Ribbon! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #461
Insane Embellisher

Default watercolor pencils

Do you have watercolor pencils? There a lot of cool effects to get with them. I made a video this week showing 3 backgrounds and colring tips herre: Watercolor Pencils: Let’s use them! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

easier than markers too
Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #462
Compulsive Stamper

Ooh Lindsay, those cupcakes look good enough to eat! i shall enjoy yout tuition on watercolour pencils, as i have some ,but am not very good at using them!'Heres hoping i learn something from you.HAGD Rosie.x
Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #463
Compulsive Stamper

Really enjoyed the tute Lindsay,learnt a good bit.
But have you considered using Glossy accents on those cherries to make them really pop? xx

Last edited by rosierosie; 05-19-2011 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #464
Rubber Obsessor

subbing
Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #465
Compulsive Stamper

Sorry to be dunce, but what is 'Subbing?'
Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #466
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierosie View Post
Sorry to be dunce, but what is 'Subbing?'
Hey Rosie.... If someone wants to keep an eye on new entries on any of these threads, they have to first comment on it. So those who sub don't want to miss anything going on here...

At least that's what I think...
Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #467
Linking Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimont View Post
Hey Rosie.... If someone wants to keep an eye on new entries on any of these threads, they have to first comment on it. So those who sub don't want to miss anything going on here...

At least that's what I think...
That's true and if you subscribe by making a comment it brings the particular thread to the top of its forum. This is called bumping and can referred to as bump, bumping, bumping to the top or btt

BTW, one can also subscribe to a thread using the drop-down menu to the right of the THREAD TOOLS tab near the top of each thread.

HTH (hope to help) and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

PS There's a thread of common acronyms inlcuding some that are more specific to Splitcoast. I'll post the link when I find it.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #468
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeGeeDee View Post
That's true and if you subscribe by making a comment it brings the particular thread to the top of its forum. This is called bumping and can referred to as bump, bumping, bumping to the top or btt

BTW, one can also subscribe to a thread using the drop-down menu to the right of the THREAD TOOLS tab near the top of each thread.

HTH (hope to help) and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

PS There's a thread of common acronyms inlcuding some that are more specific to Splitcoast. I'll post the link when I find it.
Thank you for that great explanation! I knew subbing, but not bumping. I keep a Running list of blog acronymns on my blog, but I wasn't sure of HTH. Look forward to seeing SCS list when you find it. Thanks so much!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #469
Linking Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HevnLee2 View Post
Thank you for that great explanation! I knew subbing, but not bumping. I keep a Running list of blog acronymns on my blog, but I wasn't sure of HTH. Look forward to seeing SCS list when you find it. Thanks so much!
YW (you're welcome) and ... here's the link to the thrad of acronyms:

What do all those acronyms mean? HELP?

Editing to add that when you subscribe using the thread tools, the thread does not get bumped (but there also won't be as many posts in the thread making it easier to read/skim)
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #470
Die Cut Diva

The easiest way to color brads with embossing powder is to heat the brad with a lighter(hold the prongs with tweezers). Quickly dip the brad into the EP and remove. Hold the brad right-side up until cooled (just a few seconds); sometimes the EP will run and holding it upright allows the extra to run under the head of the brad. (Much quicker than using Versamark and your heat gun.)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #471
Pearl-ExPert

More tips:

Instead of throwing away those small pieces of paper you can't do anything with. Glue them to a piece of cardstock for a "mosaic". Once you have the cardstock full you will have an unusual background paper.

Save envelopes with patterns on the inside. You can use them for background paper.

Color your used fabric softener sheets with reinkers for a pretty "faux mulberry" paper.

Save your plastic lids. You can use them as paint palettes. You can also run them through your die cut machine to make beautiful die cut shapes or emboss them with your folders.

I have been using my Cuttlebug B plate for a large acrylic block. It makes a perfect impression every time especially the large House Mouse stamps so many of us love and then cuss out, lol. C plate also works and I think is the most popular. My hands like the B plate better.

Cover a piece of cardboard with heavy duty tin foil. Add a binder clip for an embossing "mat". The tin foil helps emboss faster. Binder clip helps you from getting burned.

My DH & I are big gamer's. When we go to the gaming stores I snag up all the promotional items. My gaming friends also give me items too. Tip- Gaming ephmera is a treasure trove for all the card makers who struggle with masculine cards.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #472
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
More tips:

I have been using my Cuttlebug B plate for a large acrylic block. It makes a perfect impression every time especially the large House Mouse stamps so many of us love and then cuss out, lol. C plate also works and I think is the most popular. My hands like the B plate better.
where do you find house mouse unmounted stamps? I have to two claer sets they came out with 2 years ago but that is all I can find. Can you get them in the states?
Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #473
Insane Embellisher

Default DIY light box for stamping, embossing, tracing...

I had a brainstorn and made a lightbox on the cheap! I have a video tutoral (sahort 5 mins) on how to make one and what to do with it on my blog: DIY Lightbox! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
thanks!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #474
Die Cut Diva

This is sort of craft related.
I write and print my own sentiments for the inside of my cards.
I print them on my cheap 20# everyday copy paper to see it they are aligned as I want them before I print them on the good stationery paper.
I save the practice paper to use again. I just turn it over and print on the other side . I only need to print it to see it is set up as I want it.
Some times I can put the opposite end of the paper in the paper tray and use it 4 times. 2 times on each side.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #475
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I print them on my cheap 20# everyday copy paper to see it they are aligned as I want them before I print them on the good stationery paper.
I save the practice paper to use again. I just turn it over and print on the other side . I only need to print it to see it is set up as I want it.
Some times I can put the opposite end of the paper in the paper tray and use it 4 times. 2 times on each side.
I even use the back of some junk mail (can't use glossy paper) to print test copies -- and yes, I even turn those around and use them twice. I also use junk mail and cheap paper when I first print a digi image to check the size if I want to use a punch on it to make sure it fits.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #476
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
Do you have watercolor pencils? There a lot of cool effects to get with them. I made a video this week showing 3 backgrounds and colring tips herre: Watercolor Pencils: Let’s use them! « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

easier than markers too
great video-TFS!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #477
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Along these lines, I have a TON of fabric. So, I tried scanning fabric and printing it on cardstock. Works like a charm (once I realized that there was a printer setting for different weights of cardstock!). I haven't tried printing glossy yet, like photo paper, but I plan to try that, too. And I've scanned and printed wrapping paper and gotten some gorgeous "designer" paper to use.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #478
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
where do you find house mouse unmounted stamps? I have to two claer sets they came out with 2 years ago but that is all I can find. Can you get them in the states?
Lindsay, I unmounted all my House Mouse stamps. I have over one hundred now so they were taking over my craft room. I wish we could buy House Mouse unmounted. When I first got back into stamping that was one of my first questions.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #479
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Lindsay, I unmounted all my House Mouse stamps. I have over one hundred now so they were taking over my craft room. I wish we could buy House Mouse unmounted. When I first got back into stamping that was one of my first questions.
wow, a hundred...Can I come over to your house to play?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #480
Insane Embellisher

Default some more "make-do" tips!

OK so I foolishly went to the Papertrey Ink blog and saw all the new goodies they released this month most notably the seed packets Wowie! Then I thought I want this look, can I get it from wat I have already? I stamped a floral frame and cut it out and a flower image (both of these I got years ago on clearence for a buch each) and layered them together. I really like the look and I used what I had!

Also I buy rolls of plain natural seam binding and dye them with watercolors I have mixed with water in spray bottles, I even dug out my 7 year old bottle of walnut ink to antique it!

I made my own stick pins by taking a strait pin and placing a drop of glue near the head and sliding on a leftover bead-these are fun, I made tons and they cost about 2 cents each to make!

I made my Glimmer mist with gold pearl ex, a bit of gum aribic and water and used that on my card base. I saw that PTI has a challenge on their blog to make spray ink and you could win a set of your choise so I thought hmmm, Maybe I can get the set I am drooling over as well! I used the only set of PTIstamp I have for the stamong on the inside of the card and the envelope as well as the greeting and I won those on another blog contest. Wish me luck!

Happy Weekend everyone!