Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Versamark

Can anyone tell me if it is necessary to clean my stamps thoroughly after using Versamark or other sticky inks. Sometimes it is hard to get all the sticky off the stamp and I wonder if this damages the stamp worse than vigorous cleaning would do ? I'm sure one of you clever stampers has an answer for me
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its always a good idea to clean your stamp as you will find that the next time you use it the image you stamp will be crisper in the lines. I even clean in between inkings if I am using the same stamp for multiple stampings as I find that the lines start getting thicker arfter a short time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 03:32 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Thanks ailhelen, so what is the best way to clean versamark from my rubber stamps please because I have tried lots of methods to no avail . Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

Well, as ailhelen says, it's always necessary to clean stamps - regardless of what ink you are using. I haven't found Versamark to be a particular problem, just a quick scrub on an SU scrubber cleans it off fine (and I don't use fancy cleaners, just water). I wonder if you are concerned about the rubber remaining stained? That doesn't mean the ink hasn't been cleaned off -most stamps will discolour over time but the image quality is not affected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read where some people don't bother to clean off the Versamark. They say the glycerin in the "ink" conditions their stamps.

If you get a heavy buildup, you might use some stamp cleaning solution (some people love Ultra Clean, but I've not tried it) and a gentle scrub with a soft toothbrush.

I generally clean my stamps with a spritz of water and a quick rub on a stamp cleaning pad. I use a stamp cleaning solution if I've stamped with Staz-On. And I don't worry about my stamps getting stained. After all, my stamps are not a collection to be adored. They are tools to be used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do clean off Versamark as well as any glues or other chemicals I use. I use a wet wipe and I'm happy with that.

If I see the stamp isn't giving me a good, clean image I will use a soft child's toothbrush on it with Dawn soap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I've read where some people don't bother to clean off the Versamark. They say the glycerin in the "ink" conditions their stamps.

If you get a heavy buildup, you might use some stamp cleaning solution (some people love Ultra Clean, but I've not tried it) and a gentle scrub with a soft toothbrush.

I generally clean my stamps with a spritz of water and a quick rub on a stamp cleaning pad. I use a stamp cleaning solution if I've stamped with Staz-On. And I don't worry about my stamps getting stained. After all, my stamps are not a collection to be adored. They are tools to be used.
I LOVE THIS! Melissa, thank you for putting this into words. I don't understand when someone says stained clear stamps drive them crazy. Good photopolymer stamps are meant to be stained - that's the nature of the beast. That's how you know they are the good ones! A stained stamp or wood is well-loved!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Years ago I always cleaned my stamps and then I learned from Tim Holtz that's it not all that important. He talked about how stamps are tools and I've never forgotten how liberating it was.

I've found that some of my red rubber stamps actually stamp better because there is a build up of ink, including VersaMark, on them, especially solid stamps. Because I don't always clean my stamps, before I use them again I stamp on scratch paper to make sure there is no carry over of the color and it's just common sense to test stamp before stamping on my project.

I don't care if my stamps are dirty or stained - they just need to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 05:21 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am glad you asked this Q.

I clean stamps. I like them clean but I also find inky ones act like magnets for stray glitter, fuzz, dust, etc. Esp sticky ones. No matter how much I clean my surface that stuff shows up when I turn back around again. (sigh)

I have a sticky ebay wood one I cant get clean- I am usually able to re-hab messed up stamps well, but this one is being VERY stubborn. I have tried it all-Simple clean, Judikins, ultra, stazon, dish soap...no luck. I dont know what this person used! It wasnt expensive//worth going back to the seller about b/c by the time I realized it, it had been awhile.

So I am hoping to see another choice to use here. It is stamping ok but I think it could be better. Fine image. Might be too late though. It is over a year old now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a Wet One wipe then a stamp cleaner/scrubber.This doesn't seem tohurt the stamps, rubber or photopolymer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gotten stamps at garage sales and 're-habed' them. They were dirt cheap, so trying harsh chemicals didn't bother me.

I've used Goo-Gone to great results for detailed stamps that had micro gunk built up over time. I was very careful to load my baby toothbrush with the chemical and scrub the stamp, with the stamp on top. Scrubbing from underneath the stamp. Never set the stamp down on the counter and start applying chemicals because those chemicals can unmount the stamp or eat away at the adhesive on the foam backing.

Then I clean it off, and ink it up and see if it has cleared up. If not, I will use a plastic lid of a dairy product container (disposable) and pour just enough chemical on that lid to set the stamp face down in it and let it soak for 10 minutes. Then scrub again.

After I have beaten the tar out of that dirty stamp, I rub glycerin on it and wipe it off and store it on it's back for a couple of days so the glycerin soaks back into the rubber/poly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes--clean off Versa Mark ink! I had a red rubber stamp that went gooey on me from VersaMark ink that remained on the stamp. It was a seasonal stamp that I only used occasionally, but it was totally ruined.
Reply With Quote Likes