Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unmounted resale value

OK all you unmounted fans...I am thinking about unmounting my SU sets, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with trying to sell their unmounted sets. Are they in demand, or do buyers want them in their original condition? I'm sure it all depends on the buyers preference, but with so many people prefering unmounted stamps, I wonder if unmounting would have that much of an impact on the selling price.
Thanks for any imput!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I started to only unmount the stamp sets I am absolutely going to keep for a very long time...the others are still on the wood. But if you are asking about selling price, I have seen a few folks price them a little cheaper or just about the same as some of the wood mounted ones - depending on rarity of the stamp set too. It's just whatever people are willing to pay for it. TAC stamps already come unmounted and the bigger sets sell between $12-15 a set (retail $19.95).

So, in all, it depends on how much someone "wants" the stamp or stamp set.

BTW, I love using unmounted stamps - makes stamping a whole easier and funner. Also, if you are looking for a deal on ez mount foam...CHF sells them at $3.49 for 8x10 sheets and free shipping for orders over $35. Better get them now, before they change their free shipping policy - postage rates start going up in January!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I remember when Robynstamps went through the process of unmounting tons and TONS of sets, lol, she decided to sell off quite a few of them. She found (after the fact, unfortunately) that unmounting reduced her proceeds by about 1/3 in her estimation.

I think it's just really hard to say what to do. If you are planning ahead of time to sell some of them rather than use them for awhile, I'd try to sell before unmounting. If you're just thinking about the possibility of selling, say after you've used them unmounted for awhile, then I'd think unmounting them now for your convenience would be fine, since you did buy them for your own personal use, yes? So enjoy them and worry about resale value when (or if) you eventually decide to let them go...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Hi! I dont' know if this will help or not but I'm one who looks closely at the M -vs- UM. But as a buyer, I usually walk away from a sale if it is UM .... I am a wood gal and love the feel of how tactile the whole process is! Having said that, I'm also branching out big time from SU! and love the whole world of acrylic and polymer stamps out there, but in my <3 I still prefer mounted. A few things in your favor though if you chose to UM and sell, is UM brings down the shipping costs. Also, storage: I was a friend's house on Friday that had her sets UM and stored away nicely while I have a huge shelf full of probably the same amount of stamps, ROFL! Good luck to you in whatever you decide. My advice is if people want a set, they will buy it :-D

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I asked a similar question awhile back and the overwhelming response was basically that people who purchase unmounted are expecting to save on shipping cost but don't expect a huge markdown for the stamp sets. If they like the sets, they are just as valuable to them unmounted (with a cling foam such as EZmount) as mounted. I'd mark down plain rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Great question! I am in the process of unmounting, but can't bring myself to get rid of the wood blocks, which sort of defeats the purpose of unmounting, wouldn't you say?
All the blocks are at least in a box in the garage instead of taking up valuable space in my stamp room, but my DH has been heard muttering darkly about said box. I was planning to use the "I will need them if I want to sell them" excuse but after reading this, maybe I can finally let them go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Let them go!!

You could give them to a daycare or preschool for the kids to play with or for projects ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Okay you will have to forgive me as I am pretty new to all this, but why would you want to unmount your stamps?:confused: I quite like my wood mounted stamps..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEAZView Post
Okay you will have to forgive me as I am pretty new to all this, but why would you want to unmount your stamps?:confused: I quite like my wood mounted stamps..
I love unmounted for the space issue. The rubber stamps alone (without blocks) would mostly fit in one or 2 CD cases for the larger sets. I store my SU Sets bookshelf style in large wicker baskets, each of the 6 baskets only fits about 30 sets, but I could fit about 150 CD cases in the same amount of space.

I only buy unmounted or clear in other brands, however I will not un-mount my SU because I would like to be able to sell down the road if I change my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEAZView Post
How do I love unmounted stamps? Let me count the ways :mrgreen:

Less expensive.
Less storage space.
Better organization.

I unmounted the mounted primarily because of storage issues. I'd never go back. I still have some that are wood-mounted ~ House Mouse, Penny Black, Ramblin' Ted, Elzybells and a miscellaneous selection ... they have their own drawer and so far my strategy has worked: The drawer is full so I can't buy anymore of those ;).

I pretty much unmounted my SU sets and now buy cling-mounted, clear or plain rubber only. I purchase very little SU anymore.

Last edited by Phantom; 11-23-2008 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #11  

Thanks for all of your insight.

I have well over 200 SU sets, and many of them are not mounted yet. I am out of storage space for them, but can't part with them either. I was thinking of not mounting them on the wood but rather placing the sticker on the back of the foam and using Alene's TIOAO to use with my acrylic blocks. As I am a hoarder, I know I would probably keep all the wood blocks "just in case" I might need them (especially for resale). But it sounds like the people who buy unmounted don't want the wood!! :confused: And I don't really need a giant box of wood blocks sitting around.

I have other brands of unmounted and acrylic stamps, and I like using them, so I know I won't really miss the wood. Maybe I'll start with the stamps I know I won't get rid of, and go from there.

Oh, what is a girl to do???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use Tack'n'Peel on acrylic blocks for my never-mounted SU stamps. The paper backing sticks and then peels right up. So easy. You're never really altering them at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I use Tack'n'Peel on acrylic blocks for my never-mounted SU stamps. The paper backing sticks and then peels right up. So easy. You're never really altering them at all.
Do you put the TnP on the block, and not on the stamp? Where can I buy it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Nancy...I tried this with my most recent order and it works amazingly!!! Such a great idea!

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #15  

Quote:

I have used double sided tape on my acrylic blocks with my never mounted SU sets. Is this similar to what TnP would be? I would like to have the image sticker on the back of the foam so I can 'see through' my stamp. That is the reason why I don't want to leave the paper backing on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
I have used double sided tape on my acrylic blocks with my never mounted SU sets. Is this similar to what TnP would be? I would like to have the image sticker on the back of the foam so I can 'see through' my stamp. That is the reason why I don't want to leave the paper backing on.

Yep, that's the same idea, except the T'nP stuff never has to be replaced. Once it gets dirty and/or loses some stickiness, simply wash it with a bit of soapy water and rinse. The stickiness comes back 100%! I am totally sold on this stuff, lol. It will wrk just fine on your if you put the label on the backide of the foam. That's what I've been doing as I unmount sets.

For me as a demo, it's nice to be able to use the stamps "as is" with the backing paper on if I want to, say if I wanted to demo a set. People could see just how they come from SU. It's really the best of both worlds, if you ask me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually most on-line stores sell Unmounted for almost half the price of mounted. From what I have seen, some people expect a noticable resale cut on umounted SU stamps. But that may not be the norm. If you sell to people that like unmounted, then I would think you could get more money for them.
For me, I prefer my wood mounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'd be more likely to buy unmounted. Don't know about anyone else though.
It could actually be a good selling point.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I am almost completely unmounted because of the storage issues and because of price. If I can't get an unmounted set for a cheaper price than a mounted set, I will most likely not buy it. I'll pay a lot for some sets that I really really want, but there are only a few of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
Actually most on-line stores sell Unmounted for almost half the price of mounted. From what I have seen, some people expect a noticable resale cut on umounted SU stamps. But that may not be the norm. If you sell to people that like unmounted, then I would think you could get more money for them.
For me, I prefer my wood mounts.
Actually, i've noticed a lot of the newer companies that charge about as much for UM as if they were mounted. I remember checking out Bella Stamps, I think it was, and was absolutely floored at the high price they wanted for um stamps. I think in the olden days, lol, it was standard to offer wood mounted and then 1/2 that for um. Maybe some of them still price that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many of us now that use unmounted stamps, I don't think would deter someone from buying what they want. I am totally unmounted and will buy what ever it is I want regardless. I can throw out the custion and the blocks....My blocks went to the pre-school....

Cheaper to buy, easier to store, easier to use!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know I've sold plenty of sets as mounteds and had the buyers request that I mail just the rubber. Not asking for a reduction price, just asking if I'd strip them off the wood to mail. I've never had a problem doing that, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always ask if they will pull them off the blocks to mail!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I guess I am in the minority. When I buy unmounted I expect to pay less than I would for a mounted stamp. Like MSbetsyZ, I have been surprised at the prices some of the newer companies are asking for unmounteds. I have shied away from purchasing a couple of bellas that I like for that reason. It cost manufacturers less ( I think) to make and sell unmounteds. It should cost me less to buy them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberinkerView Post
I guess I am in the minority. When I buy unmounted I expect to pay less than I would for a mounted stamp. Like MSbetsyZ, I have been surprised at the prices some of the newer companies are asking for unmounteds. I have shied away from purchasing a couple of bellas that I like for that reason. It cost manufacturers less ( I think) to make and sell unmounteds. It should cost me less to buy them!
I have quite a collection of Bella's and Stella's and I (obviously) don't think they are unreasonably priced. You can't get anything like them anywhere else and for me, that is part of the attraction. Same for the Magnolia images.

And since you can only get um Bella's, you can't really say you would expect to pay less for um - I'm guessing you are, because if there were a mounted version available, it would cost even more. Clear as mud? I think I lost myself in that sentence.

Must not try to form reasoned discussion before I have had my first cup of coffe.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 04:05 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I am the same way. I like wood mounts but I also have many unmounted. I agree I will not pay the price of a wood mount for an unmounted. There are still many compamies that charge alot less for the unmounted. Those are the ones I buy from mostly. Unless they are full sets. Then i will pay $20.00 for a set of unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Generally people tended to pay less for unmounted SU stamp sets when we were first started unmounting, but lately I have seen them go for the same amount. It all depends on the sets. If it is a widely owned set you will get less for it. If it is a set that was only in a mini and it is in demand it will go for the same amount. A few times I have seen them go higher. The shipping is where alot of people save.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:

I may be wrong, but aren't you also paying for the talent of the artist that designs the stamp? It really isn't just about the cost of manufacturing but also the design. At least that is how I look at it.

I've converted most of my stamps to EZ Mount and have not regrets. And I now prefer purchasing unmounted or EZ Mounted stamps over wood mount.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I love buying unmounted SU sets from people b/c the shipping is so much cheaper, and then I don't have to do the work of unmounting them.

I plan on keeping my sets, so retail value means little for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I may be wrong, but aren't you also paying for the talent of the artist that designs the stamp? It really isn't just about the cost of manufacturing but also the design. At least that is how I look at it.
Yes, but one would think that subtracting the wood and foam would result in less cost. I really wish SU would offer an unmounted option. That's a lot of wood going to waste. It could cost me less money in both product and shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Generally people tended to pay less for unmounted SU stamp sets when we were first started unmounting, but lately I have seen them go for the same amount.
I am guessing that since more people are eager to buy and use them unmounted, the companies know they have a greater audience and greater profit possibilities.
Reply With Quote Likes