Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Magaznies

I was wondering if any of you like to read the scrapbooking, cardmaking, and papercraft magazines from the UK? I love them and love the idea that you get something free with all the issues. Why can't our magazines here be as good. We pay enough for them. Please list the UK magazines you like.
Kathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #2  
KBM
Rubber Obsessor

I would be interested in the names of UK magazines as well. They seem to have a different sense of style than we do. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I LOOOVVVEEE the UK magazines! SO much better than most of the US publications IMO (although I do love some of the Stampington mag's) My absolute favorite is "Craft Stamper," but I also like"Cardmaking and Papercraft." I find them at Borders and Barnes & Noble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I just got back from London, and am so agravated at myself because I didn't stop to check out the magazines, it was a rushed trip. I loved the drugstores though, and their kind of bandaids they had, did get a few of those stashed to bring home.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Oh Patrice, I would love to go to England. I get most of mine at Barnes and Noble but they also have a few at JoAnns and Books a Million. I love the Craft Stamper too but they don't have the free stamp on them any more so I have ordered them and they have the stamp. Even with the postage it is still about what you pay at the store for them. There is a new craft magazine called Simply Homemade and the first issue had an exclusive stamp set in it. I have been looking for it but I don't think we got that one and it is already sold out online. Has anyone seen it? I think the third issue is out in the UK but I was so hoping we would eventually get it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

My favourite is Craft Stamper and I have been getting it for about 5 years, and have all but three of the cover stamps. I also love their Paper Crafts and Card Making (I think those are the titles). Yes they have "free" stuff with them, I get mostly the stamps, lol. But they also have lots of good ideas inside. I love the Paper Crafts one because it has templates you can either trace off or photocopy. There are others I get from time to time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillikatView Post
I was wondering if any of you like to read the scrapbooking, cardmaking, and papercraft magazines from the UK? I love them and love the idea that you get something free with all the issues. Why can't our magazines here be as good. We pay enough for them. Please list the UK magazines you like.
Kathy
I subscribe to Cardmaking and Papercrafts (renewed from gift subscription). I love Papercraft Inspirations, Quick Cards....oh well, ALL of them. I found the Marianne Designs dies in Cardmaking and Papercrafts before they were heard of here in the U S. I do appreciate the freebies and find a use for all of them. Another great one is Crafts Beautiful. It is for all crafts, not just us paper crafters. I find some at JoAnn and some at Barnes & Noble (we do not have Borders).

Have a great day!

Millie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Love "Cardmaking and Papercraft". I buy it at a local craft store or at Barnes & Noble. It's a little expensive ($10.00) but love the free goodies with it. Haven't purchased any of the other ones though. I love the different perspective from the UK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I love the ideas too! And I really like the way they show you step by step how to do something.
Oh well, I am going into town today and hope to find a new one!
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I found this thread really interesting! The only papercraft magazine I buy regularly is 'Making Cards' and if I do buy an odd copy of any other I wonder why I bothered! I had Craft Stamper for everal years from the first issue, then they sacked the editor and I don't like the way the magazine has now gone - all right for those into altered art and Tim Holtz style but it doesn't do anything for me (I'm a CAS gal). I'm sure this is a classic case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence - I still bemoan the loss of The Rubber Stamper which I had on subscription for years.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by FionaBView Post
... I still bemoan the loss of The Rubber Stamper which I had on subscription for years.....
Oh, how I miss it too! In it's heyday, it was the BEST!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

It's funny reading this thread - you wouldn't believe how many Brits hanker after the US magazines! Some of the Stampington titles are available in a few places but they're ferociously expensive (Take Ten is �15 for example - that's almost $25 at current exchange rate). I know several people who regularly get the US Paper Crafts mag, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FionaBView Post
I had Craft Stamper for everal years from the first issue, then they sacked the editor and I don't like the way the magazine has now gone - all right for those into altered art and Tim Holtz style but it doesn't do anything for me (I'm a CAS gal).
I think Craft Stamper tries quite hard these days to cover all styles. Looking at this month's issue for example: there's a Magnolia/Tilda card on the cover (which is definitely not my style), the cover-mounted stamp is of stylised hot air balloons that would definitely lend itself to CAS, there are vintage, cute and grungy projects and it features the first part of a series on one layer cards. What I like about it is that it's a stamping magazine not a purely papercrafts one - I use my stamps with all sorts of materials so I like the fact the mag features things like polymer or air dry clay, jewellery projects etc mixed in with the more numerous papercraft ones.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Oh, how I miss it too! In it's heyday, it was the BEST!
I am another one that still misses the Rubberstamper. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

LOL, I too thought it was maybe a case of the grass is greener... I've pretty much given up buying any magazines, although when I did get them regularly I'd say Cardmaking and Papercraft was probably my favourite. I feel there's so much advertising in them now, and a huge amount of product placement which comes to the same thing. I like ideas of how to use stuff generally rather than an idea that you must buy xy paper for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I like ideas of how to use stuff generally rather than an idea that you must buy xy paper for.
Hear, hear Sabrina! I love 'different' shapes for cards, especially articulated ones, but get so frustrated by the longwinded instructions to cover this panel with such-and-such paper, and stick this to that, and stamp so-and-so....all I want are the 'how to make' instructions and I'll decorate it how I choose, thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Does anyone happen to have the Simply Homemade Issue 1 they would like to sell? I have looked now for several weeks and I guess we just aren't going to get it over here in the States. I really wanted to see it and I would love to have the stamp set......I would of course pay for it and the postage. If there is, just pm me and let me know. I would also not mind getting a magazine here that you might would like to have and send it to you. I hope that it is ok to ask that here.

Thanks
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I agree that the UK magazines are so much better. I subscribe to their paper craft magazine. It costs me the same as it would at Barnes and Noble, but I want my subscription earlier than it hits the stands, and it guarantees that I will get it before they sell out at Barnes & Noble.
Reply With Quote Likes