Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2004, 06:20 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twinkling H20s vs. Pearl Ex

I've heard a lot about Twinkling H20s and Pearl Ex in the recent past. I don't have either, but I'd like to invest in one. Are they interchangeable? Is one more versatile than the other? Is one easier to use? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 06:49 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iuse them both.

Pearl Ex is a powder. It has no binding agent so you have to mix it or seal it with something that will make it stick to paper, like hair spray, gum arabic, Future Floor Finish, etc. Alternatively, you can rub or shake some on something sticky, like Versamark, Heat & Stick, glue, etc. I made some paint out of mine by mixing it with liquid gum arabic (available in arts/crafts stores). I store it in tiny paint containers from Michael's.

Twinkling H2Os are sparkly watercolor paints. They are solid chunks of paint that you rub your paintbrush over - just like kids' watercolors. Pearl Ex also makes the Pearl Express Watercolor Palette, which is similar.

Try doing a search for the terms - folks have posted LOTS of handy tips and even some tip sheets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

OK.... I know SU sells pearlex but I actually bought Perfect Pearls instead... it is ranger inks version of pearlex... but their powder has a binder in the powder itself so if you wet the powder with water it will act as a twinkling H20..... so I use this as a powder as a paint... but let me tell you.... I ended up buying twinkling H20s as well..... for the primary reason that perfect pearls (and I think pearlex is the same way but maybe someone can clarify) show up best on dark cardstock. Their color on white cardstock was not nearly as impressive (except certain colors like red or blue). Even when I added water and painted with it.

The perfect pearl green I was using for holiday cards looked horrible on white... and I try and minimize my use of black on my holiday cards (a cultural thing for me...) so I bought twinkling H20's and because they contain something that is more opaque the colors really stood out. With some practice I was able to paint on my stamp and stamp with the Twinkling H20.

The disadvantage of Twinkling H20's is that once you spray the paint cakes with water you need to give it time to soften up the paint... if you don't the color looks watery and not very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 07:48 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tyra Smith has a very helpful site that includes product reviews - VERY helpful ! She has reviewed Pearl Ex, TH2Os & Perfect Pearls, and also has a comparision of various powdered pigment products. Check it out!

http://netnet.net/~cloud9/index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

well I don't have any perfect pearls, but my friend does, and she's not too in love with them (which is why I haven't had to have them yet). I like the fact that they already have a binding agent in them, but I guess when my best friend was so dissapointed in the turn out she got with them I just didn't think they were for me.
but I do have PE and TH2O's and love them both for different reasons. I like that with pearl ex you can mix it with different things, and use it in many different ways. I love brushing it onto versamark, and the fact that you can mix it with re-inkers to paint with it. and so on...
I also really like my TH2O's too. I like that they're so easy to paint with and that I don't need to mix them with anything to paint with them. however I would recomend PE to start out with, try 'em out for a while, and then if you decide that you really like painting with them and would like a quicker way to paint with them then get some TH2O's too. I'm sure you'll love 'em both!
HTH
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would way rather have the twinkling h2o's because the pearl ex is hard to seal and is messy. The twinkling are so easy with the aquapainter and they dry so quick. Love the color of pearl ex and have never heard of the pallette thingie - more details please?!!?

Reply With Quote Likes