Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts
Question Turning unmounted red rubber into cling stamps

I bought alphabet stamps from Ma Vinci's Reliquary (anyone remember that site?) years ago and I want to be able to get them to cling to clear blocks now. They have a red rubber foam on them but it isn't clingy. I know I could permanently mount them to wooden blocks, but since I have six alphabet sets, I don't like that option. I have been using them by just holding them but I am tired of getting my fingers inky!

Thanks so much for your help!

Nicole
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are several options, to name a few:
1- try to remove the red foam and then use the gray EZ mount
2- leave them as is and add on the thin black EZ mount
3- use Aleene's tack it over and over on the red foam back
4- I can't recall the name of this at the moment (not at home so cannot check) there is a double sided sticky sheet you can buy that you attach to your clear blocks. Then you can use it with any unmounted stamps that do not have a mounting foam on them. I'm sure someone else will know what the name of this is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by punch-crazyView Post
4- I can't recall the name of this at the moment (not at home so cannot check) there is a double sided sticky sheet you can buy that you attach to your clear blocks. Then you can use it with any unmounted stamps that do not have a mounting foam on them. I'm sure someone else will know what the name of this is.
#4 is Tack'n'Peel.
I haven't used it. Depending on how deeply the rubber stamps are etched I go for options 1 or 3 and am happy with both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I have used both Tack it over and over and Tack and Peel. I prefer the Tack it Over and Over, although it is more work to get the sticky on all your stamps initially. The other thing is that you can get a bottle of TIOAO for about $5 and one tiny package of Tack n peel is about $5 for one 4x6 sheet. Since I unmounted over 100 stamp sets, the TIOAO was my best option. I still have half the bottle left. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you only use your alphabet stamps now and then, there is a quick fix that I've used with bare rubber that would probably work.

I put several rows of double stick tape close together on an acrylic block. If you have an extra block, you could just leave the tape on it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2016, 04:22 AM   #6  

Wow, these are all fabulous suggestions. Thank you for being so helpful. This is why I love SCS!

Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2016, 04:50 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Aleene's T&O also, it is my favorite method of mounting now. Just be sure to:
use a thin layer
let it dry completely
tap the back side onto something else, aka your clothes or bare arm/leg before using them so they aren't too sticky

I've done the double sided tape trick and it is okay for a temporary fix but it make lining up your stamp harder because the block is now cloudy and you can't see where you are stamping.

I've also used washable glue stick on the back of my stamps when I wanted to use them and hadn't put T&O on them yet, just be sure to rinse it off the stamp and the block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 03:33 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

i used to buy cling mount and got it from Angel Co. I don't know if they are still in business. Stampin Up had it but has already discontinued it. Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 03:59 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm a EZ cling mount kid too. I use the 1/8th (thicker) though there is 1/16th. Crafters Companion, Scrapbook warehouse...lots of people have it. Often companies who sell raw rubber have it. You will need the Tim Holtz tonic scissor though imo to cut the rubber and mount material together. (Make sure to the keep the scissor vertical) Though some people use a hot gun.

Since yours already have some foam...maybe go with the 1/16th....but it sounds like it might be old...in which case I might take it off and go with the 1/8th.

This is going to be a lot of work...6 alpha sets..that's what? about 150 stamps? Depending on how big they are though..you can get a lot out of a cling sheet if you plan it. There are places that price break on bulk.

I might suggest this: try different things and see what you like first. Maybe only cling 1 set and see how much work it is, etc.

Last edited by wavejumper; 01-13-2016 at 04:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Try Tombow's MONO MUlti Liquid Glue (green bottle). It provides one-way and two-way tack depending on how you use it. To reseat ornery clear stamps: dot the back of the stamp (use as few dots as possible) with the green Mono and let the stamp sit overnight. The next morning the stamp will stick onto your acrylic block -- voila! Use this as often as you need to refresh your cling stamps. NOTE: if you stick the cling stamp with the wet glue dots to your block it will dry to a permanent bond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Unmounted to Cling Stamps

I recently unmounted 200+ stamps and found the easiest way to do it was to put the stamp in microwave for 8-10 seconds and then remove the backing. Sometimes there is still glue attached to the rubber. If so, you can just stick it to a couple of different products. These are: Grafix clear Cling Vinyl @ Amazon or Cricut clear Window Cling. I haven't actually tried the Cricut product yet, but it should work.

If there isn't any glue left on the rubber, just smear smoothly a thin coat of Tombow Multi Liquid Glue on the back of rubber and press cling vinyl on to it, then cut around the rubber after glue has dried. Very easy!

This does not allow for a rubber cushion if you want that, but I am using mine mostly with the MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #12  

Thank you for even more suggestions! With all the sets I have, I think I am going to do a little of several methods before committing to one. Although, the thought of all that cutting with the cling foam is a bit daunting! I remember cutting these alpha and number sets out the first time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I freeze wood mounted stamps overnight and they pull off without any of the sticky gluey mess you may get by microwaving them. Just put your craft knife at the margin of the backing and stamp and voila! Then you mount stamp foam on the unmounted stamp. This way I can store my wooden stamps with clear and cling stamps under motif.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Default Rubber Stamps

This sounds great. I'll have to try it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I swear by the EZ Mount foam. I use the 1/8" grey one. I have unmounted almost all my wood block stamps (a LOT of them!), and converted them to cling stamps. Saves a TON of storage space! I use Goo Gone to remove the adhesive residue that's left when I take the rubber off the backing on the wood block. Then just stick them to the EZ Mount. I highly recommend using a hot knife--WAAAY easier than scissors! It cuts through the EZ Mount like butter. If you do use scissors, I got a tip from Lindsey the Frugal Crafter, to sprinkle baby powder over the exposed adhesive on the foam between the stamps. That helps neutralize the sticky, and makes it a little easier to cut. It does work (I did it that way first), but the hot knife is so much easier, faster, and more precise! Hope this all makes sense.

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I use the Tack n Peel on a bunch of my clear blocks. I have found it works fabulously since if debris builds up on it, you can just wash the block with dish detergent under the faucet.

I have also used the TIOAO on a number of my unmounted stamps. It's okay, but you really have to use some trial & error to determine just how much to dilute it with and how much to use. If you use too much or it's not diluted enough, it's hard to get the stamps off what you have them stored on.

I've never had any luck with the double-sided tape on clear block method. The stamps fall off too quickly and land on my cardstock in the wrong spot.

I've never applied the cling version myself, but I have purchased some stamps from individuals that have, and those stamps usually work great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I have blocks from when I used to stamp before with the Tack & Peel on them & they got really dingy even though I ran them under water after every use. I bought blocks now that I'm back to stamping & was going to use T&P again but now I can't find it. I bought it at either Joann or Michael's years ago & I guess with them phasing stuff out they aren't carrying it anymore.

How does the Tack It Over work?? Do you put it on each stamp, or on the block? If you put it on the stamp, then how do you store the stamp? Because I assume it stays sticky?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

You can order it online through Joann's. In fact, that was actually the cheapest place I had found it.

As far as the blocks being dingy, I use a little bit of detergent with the water when cleaning them. They are, eventually, going to break down, but I've had mine for several years now and they're still working fine. There's a slight bit of breakdown on the corners, but that's it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Thank you Paper Junky ... I really did like the T&P ... sad that a lot of the stuff I used to easily get at M's & J's I'm not able to anymore :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Just as an FYI, I was looking to see if WalMart carried it--they don't. Joann's was 10.99 (you could probably use a promo code or coupon) but would also have to pay shipping. On Amazon, they have it for $8.82 with free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Oops, I guess WalMart does carry it, but they're out of stock. Says no shipping and no in-store pickup. I don't think I have ever seen it in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I tried this but not all stamps come off but most of them did. Works great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2016, 03:23 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing I will say is that E-Z Mount is not a once in a lifetime fix. I began buying bare rubber and putting it onto EZ mount maybe 10 or so years ago. Last year I realised quite a lot of stamps from back then had started to go concave, as though the Mount was shrinking. When I tried to peel some off, with thoughts of replacing, I found some just came straight away, as though the glue had dried up, whilst other parts still stuck fast, leaving me a devil of a job to get it off. I stayed at bare Rubber and TIOO.
Another point to consider is how large are the alpha stamps? Very small stamps do not function well with easy mount either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I found a few things at Joann I want (that I used to be able to find in stores) & I do have a coupon so yay!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by punch-crazyView Post
Wow, I had forgotten the name of Ma Vinci's and have been racking my brain to think of it. I had assumed they were not in business anymore. I loved that site!

I have 6 sets too. But I did #1 above, mounted them on the EZ gray foam when i first got them. Now I would probably mount them on the thin black EZ foam as that would be much easier than the gray on such small stamps. Then just set up on your acrylic blocks. Over time, alphabets just do better mounted IMO.

(BTW, I use Kai Scissors 4 1/2" N5100 scissors to trim the red away from the actual letter. Then use 6 1/2" 5627 scissors to trim the EZ mount foam away, first putting a vaseline coat to the scissors. The scissors are expensive, true, but such a great investment if you do a lot of this)

I have used Tack n Peel as well and I like it. But I did not have a source for it until today because I forgot the name of it.

I have had my alphabets on EZ gray for almost 10 years and no problems. But they are stored flat and not in a warm or hot environment.

Last edited by kaikai; 01-26-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes