Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turning my hobby into money!

I am a long time scrapper but am very interested in turing my stamping hobby into money. What projects are the best money makers? Alterable items? Cards? Journals? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't sell my items so I can't give you specifics, but based on past postings here on SCS, a lot depends on the region you live in, the type of people you're trying to attract (what income level), etc. Some people say that their cards sell amazingly well and for a lot of money at craft fairs, while other people say that they never sell a single card. Same seems to go for other types of items. You also have to look at the time and materials it takes to create the various projects. Will your region support higher end items that require much more of your time to create and therefore require a much higher price tag in order to make any money after you figure in your time and materials? By the same token, can you make some items inexpensively and quickly and easily get a higher price for them and therefore see a higher profit margin?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I sell paper piecings and layouts on ebay, I haven't sold cards but have seen some card sellers do very well while others don't. The trick there is to figure out what buyers want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Do you want to sell the projects you make or have you thought about being a distributor for Stampin' Up and getting all of your supplies at a discount while still making extra money?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

make projects to sell....SIL is a demo. Really want to test the waters on inexpensive type items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I sell cards on an order-only basis. No ebay or etsy. Most stampers I know do it that way. Get some "business" cards printed up. Mine say Greeting card artist. Give everyone you know one. I've had only one bad experience and she was almost blind (truly) so she couldn't appreciate what she got. I decorate the inside and the envelope, put it in a cellophane A2 envelope and the people are thrilled with my professionalism ~ well, other than the blind one. Most of us sell them for between $5.00 and $10.00. Questions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When it comes to selling cards, one thing i've learned is that what appeals to stampers often does NOT appeal to non stampers. so maybe do a test marketing with your friends, neighbors, etc. I did this with a few friends and was fascinated. I just sat with them on line and showed them many "famous" stampers' blogs. Almost all of them were not willing to buy the very stuff that I ooh and ahh over. Hmm.

So I looked at professional stationery sites -- crane's, etc. They know what sells because they are professionals. Simple, classic, and not a lot of expensive embellishments. My friends liked the earth toned stuff (it seems "green" to them), and/or things with just a touch of texture -- a bit of felt or a rhinestone or two.

And i also learned that paying customers want sentiments inside their cards.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I work in an office and have some people who request cards from me for b-days and holidays. These people have seen my work and search me out. I don't have much free time, so I limit my efforts to a few close associates. It depends on your area, but I get 5 dollars a card (give an envelope as well). I like to make a bunch of cards for a holiday and let them pick what they like, and make a few special orders. A lot of them like personalized cards with names, or ages on them. I also put sentiments in them.
Most important, have FUN with it. If it becomes too much like work, it loses its appeal to me. I also do not like making large orders of the same cards.. I get bored and don't enjoy it, so I don't take any large invitation orders anymore. That is jut a personal quirk of mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

good advice ladies....thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Well my perspective is I have done some smaller craft shows and don't really sell my cards. I have seen others selling cards and it seems hit and miss to me. Some have a specific following and repeat customers always helps profitability. Personally seems to me that the people that most appreciate the work and supplies/expense that goes into the card are the ones that could probably make it themselves.

At craft shows I have found it very helpful to have a wide variety of crafts for sale. Way to many people these days admiring your work but not buying it.

My recommendation would be to offer some basic cards like birthday, sympathy, get well, thinking of you, congratulations. I would keep price point low. I would have a few higher quality cards to show if there is interest but general public will be turned off by single cards in $3-5 range.

Truely have found that everyone is interested in FOOD items. Now don't take my wrong you don't have to go out and bake your heart out. Check out the gallery here for the M&M stix, wrapped candy bars, etc. Use your supplies to embellish things public would never think of and don't necessarily have the supplies to do themselves! I am not computer savy enough to post pics or links but maybe a fellow SCS member can help me out with some suggested gallery items. Something super easy/cheap is plain popcorn drizzled with colored chocolate in clear baggie with header card decorated with stamping supplies. And don't forget to have a bowl of this popcorn ready for taste testing cause when they are tasting it they will be a your table long enough to see more of your creations.

Finally always, always, always try to find clear small garbage baggies to put customers purchases in so as they walk thru the craft show others will see what they bought and ask them where they found that! Create your own buyers frenzy! Include a business card or address/phone label with every purchase so they can find you again later for custom orders.

Might also consider asking a friend who has some other type of craft or product to share your table. What attracts one person's attention doesn't always catch another's,

Last but not least be super friendly but don't give customers your secrets to success. But I don't mind sharing my secrets just so we aren't at the same show with the same products.

Let us know and post some pics of what you come up with and what are your best sellers.

Christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies.......Remember, it you want money for your items, it's no longer a hobby, it's a business.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

How true! I want to keep my *hobby* but sell to family and friends to help off set my habit...uhhh...Hobby!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell a lot of card but never do craft shows. It is much easier to find someone you can supply for a fund raiser or in a bookstore. My hubby also keeps a basket on his desk with generates between $75.00 and $125.00 consistently per week. I also sell to the Human resources 30 cards per month for birthdays and that is an additional $90.00. I have way enough business to keep me going for play money.....All my cards are professionally packaged and sell for $3.00 each. Hope this helps you.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
When it comes to selling cards, one thing i've learned is that what appeals to stampers often does NOT appeal to non stampers.
You hit the nail on the head, Joan.

In order to have any success with monetizing this hobby, you really need to know what kinds of things your potential customers like and want. That doesn't mean you have to do exhaustive research, but a stroll through the greeting card aisle, a spin around Etsy, and maybe a look at some boutique stores online or in person would give you a better idea of those things. I think you'll find that they don't quite line up with what's hot here on Splitcoast.

I had a table at a small craft fair a few years ago and did well. Purse-sized altered notebooks and post-it holders were the biggest hit, but funny and sentimental cards did well too. All of my items were fairly clean and simple, in colors that you see in stationary and home decor stores, with small touches that made them more interesting than something store-bought.
Reply With Quote Likes