Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to convince myself I'm not totally ridiculous...

I know this may be a little too personal for some, but for those comfortable answering.....

How much money do you spend on craft stuff in a year? Or, bigger question, how much would you guess your entire stash is worth?

Don't worry...this is a judgment-free zone.

As for me, I'm relatively new to the hobby world (about a year), but I'd say I spend on average about $100-$150 a month. I feel like I NEED EVERYTHING, which of course I know isn't true but still can't help myself. Already, I have more paper than I'll ever use. Am I alone? Am I totally out of control? The problem is that there's nothing else I'd rather buy with my "blow money". I just bought a Cricut and a bunch of carts, which put a big dent in my budget. But, that doesn't keep me from shopping online now does it? What's a girl to do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, it is an addicting hobby! I have a problem with always wanting more.
Even though I have plenty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Totally ridiculous? Heavens no. ;) One of my favorite parts of this "addiction" OOPS I mean HOBBY is procurement of goodies. And thanks to the giant group of enablers aka SCS members, it only gets worse.

The good news is that as you learn what you like and collect more things, the need to "buy things right this second" kind of slows down. I have learned to discern what I just want cause it's pretty vs. what I will actually use.

So welcome, and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think you sound exactly like a lot of other people around here. ;)

As for what I spend....I honestly don't want to know! :eek:

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia SView Post
I think you sound exactly like a lot of other people around here. ;)

As for what I spend....I honestly don't want to know! :eek:
I am sooo right there with ya, sistah!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, mods, we need a password on this thread so that our husbands can't see us saying that we have enough. I'm not much of a shopper in any area of my life other than crafts. Good thing, too, since I do plenty of damage in that category!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Talking

I try to limit myself to one store per week. Although this week I have a 50% coupon for AC Moore - good on 4/15 only. I also have to go to Joanns to pick up a cross stitch I had framed - and you know I'll pick up something else while I'm there. Right now I'm trying to accumulate all the CB embossing folders (still haven't found Swiss Dots).

SCS is a bad place to be if you don't want to spend much money. The cards that are posted here are just so inspirational. And I love the forums for new ideas.

But as I tell my DH - I could have worse (and more expensive) addictions (and these goodies only ever come out of my pocket - never out of our joint accounts).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I forgot to mention that the one-store rule does NOT extend to on-line stores. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

hard question actually..I don't know:rolleyes: I usually spend about $100 per month..sometimes less (and more) New Catalog certainly gets more play in the pocketbook but this time of year the only purchases I make are the ones guaranteed to not retire in Aug and consumables (sliders/paper/ribbon etc) that I need for specific camp projects.

My entire collection? ...um don't really know for sure. My dh had a shed 10 X 10 (heated-nice walls/flooring etc) built for my "hobby stuff" this was prior to my becoming a demo! I also have alot of cake decorating supplies in there so it's not all stamps!

My customers have been hounding me to have a "garage sale" but you know..I purchase sets I LOVE so if I were to downsize..I don't know what I could let go of..:shock:

Oh yes I almost forgot! whenever my DH thinks I'm going overboard..I happily log onto SCS (stamping spaces) and show him what I'd really love to have! then he thinks perhaps..I'm not overly excessive after all !

Last edited by Londonblue; 04-14-2008 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

First it started out with just buying Stampin' Up stuff. Then I added on CTMH and TAC. Of course Papertrey had to start up with fabulous things so they got added to the list. Now I am almost overwhemed because there are so many companies like Crafty Secrets, My Favorite Things, Gina K Designs, Flourishes, Cornish Heritage Farms, Kitchen Sink Stamps, Verve Visual, and the list goes on and on and on. My husband doesn't mind how many stamps I buy, and I have a dedicated craft room, but if I continue at the pace I'm going, someone is going to have to give up their bedroom for the overflow. I usually spend between two and three hundred dollars a month. Sometimes I go over that if I see neat things like the Nestabilities or the Copic markers. I'm trying to do like Shannan said and slow down and not buy things immediately as soon as they become available. Even though I am waiting, I still end up buying most of the new things that come out every month. I look at it this way, it's a whole lots cheaper than therapy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would have to say that over the past 4 years that I've been making cards (I don't scrapbook but you would never know that based on the stack of DP I have!), that I have spent approximately $3,500. At first, I bought a ton of stuff off of Ebay and then I became a SU! demo. I then 'resold' most of the things I bought on Ebay because the quality of SU! things is so much better.

This is pretty much my only hobby as I have very bad tendonitis in both of my ankles so that makes it nearly impossible to do much else.

I make significantly more money than my husband does, so I don't feel a bit of guilt spending money on my hobby. He has a motorcycle, goes on retreats twice a year and golfs many times a year - so I think the score is even!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I knew I could count on you....

Y'all are already making me feel better. These stores should be required to post a warning about the liklihood of addiction. When I got into this, I had NO IDEA how much stuff there was AND how badly I would want ALL OF IT!!! It's all so cute and pretty, I just want to hug it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Too. damn. much.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In your original post, you mentioned it was your "blow money". I think it's only a problem if you go beyond what you should be spending.

I remember the first time I went to HL and was looking for stuff to make a scrapbook for a gift - I had no idea what an industry it was. The lady there gushed on and on about all the great stuff you could get for scrapbooks. I said, I guess it can get kind of expensive. She told me she had spent over $3000 on stuff. I asked her how many scrapbooks she had made (I was picturing stacks) and she said she hadn't finished one. That should have been my first clue

I would hate to think about how much my stash is worth, although I suppose it's one of those things you should put on your insurance policy. I'd hate to think about replacing everything I've bought over the years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I can totally understand what you all think about. Most of the time, I just tell myself, "I NEED them all!!" After jump into the craft hobby, I took over our guest room and dinning room and really don't know which room is next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #16  
Vee
Glitter Guru

My DH reminds me that all hobbies cost money. He likes to buy electronics and camera stuff. Of course one item of "his" can run $1000, he doesn't buy one of those items often, so it is pretty even. All sports require equipment-DH has diving gear, even his cooking costs for all the newest small appliances and french cookware.....On the good side, I get great photos from him, printed by him, to use while eating his newest grastronomical delight while I stamp! BTW, anyone want my nearly new kiteboarding gear, so I can have more stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

My husband and I have an agreement - I don't ask what he spends on golf and he doesn't ask what I spend on stamps Works pretty well for me.

Seriously, I allow myself $100 per month - some months I go over, some months I don't. I self imposed the limit because I felt like I was spending way too much on things I don't use. Do I still buy things I don't use? Yip, but the guilt is not so great. I've been stamping for around 5 years which makes it a pretty scary total - but it doesn't hurt anyone and it makes me happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I am a binge spender. I went from October-March without buying anything but have spent a lot in the past month....but now I feel like I have the things I've been wanting and am back to my "not spending" phase. I also tend to stamp/scrap more after spending and it gradually slows down and I guess when it stops is when I feel like shopping again....I guess I need the new goodies to inspire me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Way too much! I try to buy with coupons, sales, and of course I am a hobby demo and spend what ever it takes to make a workshop above my customers. I spend more then I make. My other hobby is my embroidery machines. I do make money there and that is my spending money!!!I am having a Garage sale next month and a sale for my customers before that with just my crafts and stamping stuff I want to get rid of. Of course so I can spend more!!! I am waiting for my free cricuit carts so I can go buy more!!!!! I am in the process of taking pictures of my "crafting area" for insurance just in case! I don't think they would believe me if I had to put in for replacement of what it is all worth!!!!! Do you think I could say millions!!!!! not quit but it might be close!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

It really has become a SICKNESS for me. I started out scrapbooking, then got really into making cards, because for me they're easier and quicker. I fell in love with STAMPING!!! I just can't get enough of them!!! I keep telling myself I'm not going to purchase any more, or at least cut way down on spending so much on stamps. But that's virtually impossible for me! It doesn't help that there are so many new stamps on the market, and the market is growing! The more I see, the more I want! I'm having such a hard time exercising self-control in this area! My husband is aware that I spend way too much, and we both agreed that I keep a log of all my scrapbooking expenses. I've been very diligent with keeping track of every penny I spend on my crafts, but it hasn't helped me control my spending. I still spend like crazy, now I just keep a log of it all! I totally dread the day when dh asks to take a look at my log -- I'm going to be in big trouble!!! It's like a drug addiction!!! I need help -- somebody help me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #21  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

first it's not totally ridiculous - especially if you are spending your "blow money" and now I don't have my budget set up with that as a category - there's nothing I'd rather spend my blow money on either - actually to leave money for scrappy stuff (I consider myself more a scrapper than a stamper) but I take $1 frozen meals for lunch at work, rather than spending $3-$8 a day to eat out for lunch so that's how I justify
AND I've been scrappin since sept 2004 - and I have kept track....
the most in one month was about $300 and I had gone to a convention and got some Quickutz alphabets - the least was actually last month at $38.91
oh and I did prove to myself that I CAN not spend, the month that we were moving, with all those extra expenses, I didn't spend a dime! ;)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Sometimes I think way to much and other times I convince myself that one has to feed their passion so its never too much.

I went to a convention this past Sat. and took $300. I felt great when I left as I had $70 left. I was much more selective in what I bought. I bought things that I KNEW I would use, a great price, and items that I really needed or could not get locally. Then, on the way home I stopped at one of the stamp stores to use a coupon from the convention and spent the $70. So much for my saving!!!

I have no idea on total collection costs because for one year I saved all my receipts and at the end of the year the total was close to $4000. Now I don't look - I just try to use some control because I have too much stuff I won't use - but very few stamps that I don't use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have been stamping for a few years now...

i will say that it was much more a spending frenzy in the beginning!

as time goes by and you build your 'collection' and you find what you like and don't like it will tapper some. SOME!!!

i still spend but more in spurts.

i love love love ribbon and don't think i will ever have 'enough'

i am still collecting punches...

i am still collecting my inks and CS (i am an SU! girl)...

and will always be in the market for STAMPS!!! obviously

welcome to the addiction... no 12 step program for me tho!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

OK, maybe asking this question wasn't such a great idea after all. Thanks to all of you enablers, I not only DON'T feel ridiculous for spending so much, but you've actually somehow convinced me that this hobby needs to be nurtured and fed even more....so I think I'll go shopping!! LOL!!!! Y'all are great!! Thanks for all of your candid responses. Sounds to me like we're all in the same boat...caught up in a VERY addictive hobby...and LOVING every dime of it!! Maybe I can convince my DH that we should each get a little more blow money each month!:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided to put a $100 per month limit on my stamp supplies. It has been hard but I have stuck to it for 2 months !!!!! I had to decide that the cost of classes doesn't count though. . . This is a VERY expensive hobby - guess most hobbies are.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Enough that I worry my home owners policy wouldn't cover my stash of stuff in the event of some kind of disaster. I asked my DH if he thought we should get a rider on our policy for my craft stuff and he got kind of a panicked look on his face! (You know, the "you've-spent-how much" look!)

But on another note, my DH and I made a deal that whatever I spent on SU stuff this year above what I earn as a demo, he could spend the same amount on a new gun he wants (he's in Law Enforcement). So far, I have $66 in the bank above what I've spent and I have a workshop this week and two classes in the next three weeks and no plans for major purchases.

Then again, convention will probably wipe it out and he'll get his gun after all.

Edited to add: Too bad for him he didn't include ALL my craft purchases in that deal, or he would already have it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by newlystampingView Post
you've actually somehow convinced me that this hobby needs to be nurtured and fed even more....so I think I'll go shopping!!
You catch on quick. ;) Welcome to the dark side! :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I don't even want to know how much I've spent. I became a hobby demo when I realized I'd spent about $1500 in about 4 months :-) and I figured I'd save money as a demo--bwwwaaaahhaaaaahaaaaaa!!!!

Dh has a general idea of how much I've spent since he's pointed out that I've spent thousands on this hobby but since we keep our own money separate (other than joint household money), he doesn't say much about it.

I do go through phases and actually visited my LSS last week and walked out empty handed.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #29  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

I have been stamping for about 5 1/2 years now, so I have accumulated a lot of supplies. Therefore, my self-imposed limit for stamping/paper crafting supplies is to give away more than I spend on my own hobby. By give away, I am referring to gifts and donations, contributions to ministries, supporting various school organizations (things like fundraisers and Project Grad - type functions), etc. If I haven't given to others more than I have given to myself, then I have spent too much on my hobby, and I curb the spending for a few weeks. And this comes out of my own funds, not our joint accounts. Also, when I do purchase hobby items, I don't feel guilty about it, as I know the cards I make also will be given away, thus the joy again shared. Blessings to you as you determine what your spending limits should be for this new category in your life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Default I've been doing this for 9 month (almost)

and I've spend $2,500.00. However, in my defense, I've got a great selection of ink pads, refills, markers and papers. I only have around 70 sets of stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I have no idea how much I spend. I did spend more when I was just beginning. I have slowed down and purchase mostly when I need items. I have begun to sell some cards and want to start tracking so I know how much I am really spending on supplies for cards. BUT after reading all the other responses, I am not sure I want to know. I will tell you that I am waiting on the Nesties to be available and plan to buy the whole set. So that will be a "big" purchase for me.
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been stamping for about six years and I probably spent $300-400 a year on stamping. *shrug*

But, at the moment, I am in the process of selling all of my stuff and leaving the hobby.

One of the reasons is the "more more MORE" mentality people seem to have about this hobby ~ it's really turned me off from it...because I'm not like that. And it's become much more prevalent, especially with sites like this and others, with the explosion of blogs and craft stores showing up everywhere.

I'm trying to simplify my life from "stuff", not buy more, so it was time for me to get out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I scrap and stamp. My addiction is stamps. I spend way too much on them:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

the only thing that keeps me from spending a lot of money on stamping /card-making is that I have one shelf in my pantry closet to keep all of my things, including paper, punches, ribbon etc. I'm still new at this -- been stamping for about 5 years but had very little amount of stuff up until last year when I discovered SCS. The ladies, and men, here are so creative, I look at cards and say to myself, I want THAT one! There's so many gorgeous stamps I'd love to have -- and I know I'd use them too -- but I have no place to keep it all.

The most I've ever spent is last week I went to a stamping show in Pennsauken NJ and spent $150 on (mostly unmounted) rubber, ink, and my first gamsol. I can go months without buying anything. Having no craft room is a great way to save money...

Last edited by merryf; 04-14-2008 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: grammar, and I should know better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post
the only thing that keeps me from spending a lot of money on stamping /card-making is that I have one shelf in my pantry closet to keep all of my things, including paper, punches, ribbon etc. I'm still new at this -- been stamping for about 5 years but had very little amount of stuff up until last year when I discovered SCS. The ladies, and men, here are so creative, I look at cards and say to myself, I want THAT one! There's so many gorgeous stamps I'd love to have -- and I know I'd use them too -- but I have no place to keep it all.

The most I've ever spent is last week I went to a stamping show in Pennsauken NJ and spent $150 on (mostly unmounted) rubber, ink, and my first gamsol. I can go months without buying anything. Having no craft room is a great way to save money...
I almost went to that show but decided I really didn't need to spend extra money right now. Was it really good?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I had an agreement with DH that I would spend around 600 bucks a year. Well, I have spent more than that. I think my yearly spending starting in Jan., ending Jan. 2009 will probably be about 2500$. I actually consider this reasonable for a hobby.

If I golfed, skied, etc., I would spend this or more. So I feel this is ok. Problem is DH has a hobby that is super cheap. So this does not help out. I've been encouraging him to go on a trip with his buddies so I don't feel bad with my expenses.

I don't buy clothes. Although I should. I could pass for a bag lady. I cut back on magazine subscriptions, cut out my gym membership since I was not using it. Did not go on the big European holiday this past year. So I have made sacrifices for this hobby which I am really addicted to. Damn that sister of mine! She started on it. I am glad, but at the same time, wonder what would have been? I would never have known what I was missing and would have been fine. Oh well, too late now. I'm in deep.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
I almost went to that show but decided I really didn't need to spend extra money right now. Was it really good?
Not to hijack this thread but: It was very nice. I was there from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. There were 23 vendors and I was totally satisfied. There were a bunch of companies I had never heard of before. I've been to the Heirloom show in Rhinebeck NY three years in a row and i liked this one much better. I'm so thrilled that I got a lesson from the Inky Antics people on how to do the Gamsol technique with prismacolors. That alone was worth the trip for me.

I have no idea how this small pile on my coffee table adds up to $150, though. It's a mystery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

I did want to add since becoming a demo...none of the household budget has been used to finance my hobby..so it pays for itself..and my DH loves that part..and the new stainless steel GE Profile Smart Dispense dishwasher sitting in our kitchen too! paid CASH through Stampin Up profits..:mrgreen: I also have a Stampin Up dog yes he's real. I got him through the Cocker Spaniel Rescue program. A stampin up purchase that was a harder sell to my DH..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Default I know my answer

I know the answer to my spending. Stop looking at blogs and stay off SCS. Go on SCS about 1/10th of my current time spent on the site. That would solve my problem. I would simply stick to SU! and what my demo sells me. I would not see the cards made with other fabulous stamps from different companies. I would not see the nesties, the ribbon, etc.

I may eventually have to come to this decision. My sisters do it and it works for them. They make cards to give to friends, family and spend very little money. They don't see the stuff I see. They also do not have the stuff I have. And they seem quite content.

I went on a binge in the past 2 weeks. Feeling guilty!!! But.......

if I keep it at 2500$/year, I will be happy. I need to add up my receipts. I have them and will add them up so I get a rude awakening if I go past this amount. Think I will add the total tonight. SIGH.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I became a Stampin' Up demo just so I had a budget to spend on my "hobby". I spend at least $100 per month. Some days I think I'm just a collector. But I have also made some people very happy with my hand made things.

Welcome, my name is Michele and I'm a stampaholic! he-he
www.michelekoltermann.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes