Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truth be told, MICHAELS

OK, I've been to three M's in my area and they all have a different story why they can't sell whatever clearance item, when it rings up .01. They take it away from you at the register and say they have to destroy it. Fine but, give me a consistent reason! One says it's because some kid choked on donated stuff and they got sued, the other says for tax reasons?, another I forgot. Does anyone know the truth? Why wouldn't they donate it? Just seems wrong. Nana Janet?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanajl54View Post
OK, I've been to three M's in my area and they all have a different story why they can't sell whatever clearance item, when it rings up .01. They take it away from you at the register and say they have to destroy it. Fine but, give me a consistent reason! One says it's because some kid choked on donated stuff and they got sued, the other says for tax reasons?, another I forgot. Does anyone know the truth? Why wouldn't they donate it? Just seems wrong. Nana Janet?
It actaully can be different reasons, when I worked for a retailer in the stores and this would happen wouldn't really wouldn't give the customer a reason other than we are unable to sell it and by mistake it was not taken from the shelf, but the actual reason was bc it was either on a list of merchadise that we were suppose to destroy per the manufacturer or it is a final clearance item that is on our list of items to donate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

In the same store: once they said they could sell the item for .01 but I couldn't buy any more for that price. Another time they just rang it up as .01 and said nothing. The third time they said they would have to sell it to me for .50. Maybe someone who works at M's can clear this up. I agree, there seems to be no consistency.

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

When I worked there, a price of $.01 meant the item was to be removed from the shelves and destroyed. The problem when it gets to the register is that the cashiers don't know what to do about it if they haven't run into it before. I was never told how to handle it if I ran into it on the cash register probably because it wasn't supposed to get that far and usually didn't. I think the cashiers are probably just winging it. Also, if it gets sold for a penny then corporate knows it was missed and it goes against the store when they get reviewed by the regional manager. For the store manager it is all about the grade because that is how there raises, bonus, etc. are determined. Employees also can not buy it for $.01. The merchandise must be destroyed because the help would fight over it otherwise. It killed me sometimes to destroy the merchandise. Most of it belonged in the dumpster IMO but once I had to do a whole shopping cart of books. That was tough. Michael's doesn't donate either. It takes to much time and again the help would each want it for their special cause. Destroying it really does make life easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by datghView Post
When I worked there, a price of $.01 meant the item was to be removed from the shelves and destroyed. The problem when it gets to the register is that the cashiers don't know what to do about it if they haven't run into it before. I was never told how to handle it if I ran into it on the cash register probably because it wasn't supposed to get that far and usually didn't. I think the cashiers are probably just winging it. Also, if it gets sold for a penny then corporate knows it was missed and it goes against the store when they get reviewed by the regional manager. For the store manager it is all about the grade because that is how there raises, bonus, etc. are determined. Employees also can not buy it for $.01. The merchandise must be destroyed because the help would fight over it otherwise. It killed me sometimes to destroy the merchandise. Most of it belonged in the dumpster IMO but once I had to do a whole shopping cart of books. That was tough. Michael's doesn't donate either. It takes to much time and again the help would each want it for their special cause. Destroying it really does make life easier.
This is so horrible! I hate any kind of waste, but mostly senseless waste. I can't believe the people at corporate can't find a source for the donations and get the tax deduction.

One time I tried to buy one of those candle tins that are normally a $1 and it rang up for a penny and the clerk said she could not sell it to me - it had been recalled - I didn't want any of the other $1 candles after she said this, all I could think was "Are they being recalled because it is explosive or something?" and didn't want to risk it.

Now I can understand not selling any products that might be dangerous,but books? I SO wish the higher ups would find a recipient, I know it takes extra work, but it could be done...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanajl54View Post
this galls be to no end. the reaso i have been told-"the company that supplies that item" gives them cash back.
really? how does the company know how many items to pay michaels back for?
and even more why can "WHOEVER" donate.
dop they not know how many childrens hospitals,ronald Mcdonold houses,women shelters. not to mention school, art programs could get so much use out of these.
i trully think they should be ashamed of themselves.
think target and their many millions they donate all year long.
if someone knows how to light a fire under them, as well as joannes and ac moore. please let me know.
i would love to really embarass them each to change their policy. kinda who will be the first to do the right thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

extra work? fighting over items. are thses people children or professional workers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Math ChickView Post
This is so horrible! I hate any kind of waste, but mostly senseless waste. I can't believe the people at corporate can't find a source for the donations and get the tax deduction.

One time I tried to buy one of those candle tins that are normally a $1 and it rang up for a penny and the clerk said she could not sell it to me - it had been recalled - I didn't want any of the other $1 candles after she said this, all I could think was "Are they being recalled because it is explosive or something?" and didn't want to risk it.

Now I can understand not selling any products that might be dangerous,but books? I SO wish the higher ups would find a recipient, I know it takes extra work, but it could be done...
It usually is not corporate that requires it to be destroyed, it is the company that manufactured the product or supplied the product to the retailer that gives the instructions for it to be destroyed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

no matter who's decision it is-it's awful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

My Michaels doesn't destroy anything properly because my friend found stuff in the dumpster (all intact and perfectly fine) and picked it out and will be using it for a Girl Guide craft sometime in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

WOW this is very interesting I have never come across a .01 item at Michaels yet, but I will defiantly be going dumpster diving after the Holiday---LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

This reminds me how books often say if you purchased it without a cover, it was reported as destroyed to the publisher and shouldn't have been available for purchase. I would presume the author does not receive any royalties on such items. Maybe it works that way with this other stuff. If reported as destroyed, then the manufacturers and/or product designers do not receive their due. I could see why the store would be unable to sell such an item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

but the point is
not to sell or destroy. but to donate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Often it is a recall issue with lead content, etc., and the items should be destroyed. All stores, including M's, need to be more careful what goes on their shelves and who they buy merchandise from. Think of what the total loss per year is on that stuff.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
Often it is a recall issue with lead content, etc., and the items should be destroyed. All stores, including M's, need to be more careful what goes on their shelves and who they buy merchandise from. Think of what the total loss per year is on that stuff.
Mary Beth
I don't think any one would have an issue with a hazardous or dangerous product being recalled and destroyed, LOL. It is the harmless things that are being tossed that is a pity - especially with the green movement today "Reduce - reuse - recycle". I still have a firm belief that books should be donated, but at the very least the paper could be recycled... :(

I just don't like waste of any kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's because of money. If the merchandise is still out there, there is the potential for it to be sold for money somewhere down the line. The manufacturer, author, designer, whatever, does not receive income because they were told the product was destroyed.

Yes, I agree with you that it would be nice if those items could be donated but if the agreement is to destroy them, then that is what they must do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I think we would all agree that it would be nice to donate the items but for various reasons they can't and that some companies just don't do a good jb with informing their staff on how to handle the items if a customers wants to buy them.

Just an FYI - dumpster diving is stealing. The dumpster is property of the retailer, which means the items in it are still property of the retailer. Police arrested some people for doing it where I use to work, I just don't want anyone here to get in trouble for doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the OP that stated dumpster diving, lol. I really don't do that and don't ever plan on it, but seriously if things like paper and stamps, or whatever the item is, is being occasionial tossed in the dumpster, that is just stupid. I know how things were handled at Wal-Mart back in the early 90's when I worked at one in a Tri-State Mega City area, and things that were suppose to be destroyed- it was rarely due to re-call. I also know if you were friends with the manger or in my case the general manger I could get almost anything. Nothing was actually destroyed except Over the Counter Medications for the most part, everything else sat in the back inventory area for sometimes years then employers would in one way or another (I am not referring to stealing in any manner) usually get the items. On rare occasions items that sat for years in that do not sell rake in the back would get clearanced for .10-1.00, but customers again rarely saw those because employee's had first chance to buy these items. I find it hard to believe that these tactics still don't go on.

To destroy an item rather then letting employees have them or give to charities is just awful. In this day and age of recycle and everyone knows someone out of work having a hardtime making ends meet.. Throwing away is very shameful. I also have a hard time believing employees at the register don't know what to say to customers when they come across an item they are not suppose to sell due to the policy- safe to say these employees are not being trained properly. I was only 16-17 years old when I worked at Wal-mart and if a customer had complained about me to a supervisor, for giving a questionable response to this question posed, I would have been disciplined. I don't know if companies just don't train new employees well anymore or employees don't listen to what they are told.

Back to the subject at hand, I would love to be able to boycott these big stores that just toss out or "destroy" good items, but now I live in small town USA and without these stores I would have to buy everything thru the Internet including groceries unless I wanted to drive over 2 hours to a store or anything needed to survive. Maybe it is "just me" I don't care about royalties- if the item is going to be destroyed, what is the harm of these items going to a local school district or a charity. Their can be written agreements that these items may not be sold if donated- if broken the charity or school district can be sued for breach of contract.

I feel this is very disheartening!
Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Its not just these stores that 'dump' or 'destory' but I know bookstores and grocery stores do as well. I would think all stores eventually toss 'good' products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
Maybe it is "just me" I don't care about royalties-
Perhaps if you were the person who was to receive the royalties you would feel differently. Would you work for free? Would you allow companies to make money off products you designed or created and take nothing in compensation for it, such as pay? Just food for thought....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I can understand not being able to sell the products if the manufacturer has made an agreement with the retailer. I do wish they would recycle though. Worse is they don't even recycle their cardboard. Or at least they didn't used to.

And be careful about the dumpsters, the Michaels here has a compactor built into it!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 03:08 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

As an author, I would have a huge problem with not receiving royalties on my books. I would expect fans of my books to feel the same way. I, once upon a time, worked as a manager of a book store. We tore the covers off all paper backs we didn't sell after a few months. The covers went back to the publisher and the book had to be sent to the dumpster. That isn't the policy of all publishers, but it is for most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

This is completely off topic but reminds me of when a pair of pants at a major department store rang up for $.01. The cashier told me that I will not be able to return it for refund or exchange. I told her I wouldn't because to drive back it would cost me over $4.00 (a couple years ago) in gas so I would take the loss if I didn't like it later. I guess that is what they are trained to inform the customer. I had to chuckle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

when I worked at kmart, there was such a thing as guaranteed sales. Yes the company gave Kmart the money back. We had to destroy many things cause if you threw them in the dumpsters people would steal them and bring them back for a refund. Come to think of it they would shoplift in the store and bring it back for a refund. Makes it hard on the honest people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmtaylorView Post
when I worked at kmart, there was such a thing as guaranteed sales. Yes the company gave Kmart the money back. We had to destroy many things cause if you threw them in the dumpsters people would steal them and bring them back for a refund. Come to think of it they would shoplift in the store and bring it back for a refund. Makes it hard on the honest people.
You know, that's a very good point!! That is a HUGE problem in retail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I just want to add that I find it hard to work there with these rules., but it is follow the rules or risk losing your job. I hope no one really considers dumpster diving because I know for a fact that the frame shops in the stores also dump there broken glass into the dumpster and some of the shards are huge and it could be deadly . Definitely not worth the risk you are better off to complain to head office!!! Just my opinion. ....Merry Christmas everyone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Sheena I know it may be hard to believe but we can not even buy items that are marked as is . If any one is caught you can be let go. As for the conflicting stories for the .01 items it is above us and stories are often changed. It is also embarrassing to tell someone you can not sell it to them. It is just wrong. So please do not blame the staff. We get heck from the bosses then we turn around and get royal crap from customers !! No fun!!! Thanks for listening
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with the poster way above. Having worked in retail for a long time and dealing with .01 items. When/If they sell that item ... obviously they missed something when they were supposed to pull it from the floor. In my case it was usually clearance items that have been clearanced for a while and no one purchased it. It can but a bad reputaion on the store if they have several items being purchased at .01 because that means they are not doing their job properly and missing several items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

I find it interesting that esp. things like books can't be donated even if the front cover is missing. In my "former life" I was a journalism teacher and I've worked with two diff. publishing companies to do h.s. yearbooks. They always make/send extra for us to purchase (already on the invoice!). If we choose not to, we rip off the covers and send them back for a refund on those. Each company told me to feel free to DONATE those yearbooks to students who couldn't afford them. In this case, the school opted not to so that those students wouldn't feel "less than" the other students by receiving a *destroyed* yearbook.

Anyway...why couldn't the other books in that shopping cart be donated to a hospital, or such?
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmtaylorView Post
That is why Macy's tosses items that have been "pennied out". The one where I worked had donated all the unsold Ladies slippers one year and MANY of them were returned for store credit!! It only takes a few people to ruin it for everyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 05:08 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I have worked at our walmart for 16 years now and was always saddened by what they did with the books. It must come from being a book lover. They went thru a time where associates were able to "purchase" the books, meaning it was a donation to childrens miracle network. Then after awhile that stopped. Now they recycle them. We have a great setup for recycling the plastic and paper and hazordous materials now as well as the cardboard.
On the note of each store giving different answers, service, etc... Remember that they are all ran by different individuals with different outlooks and personallities. They may have a corporate office, but alot of what happens in the store is based on the store management. We are on our 9th or 10th store manager right now. Some are good and some are bad, luckily we are being run by a good one right now. As far as the being destroyed, from talking to our claims lady, I do think alot of it is dictated by venders and also state regulations as far as enviromental issues on some stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
I have worked at our walmart for 16 years now and was always saddened by what they did with the books. It must come from being a book lover. They went thru a time where associates were able to "purchase" the books, meaning it was a donation to childrens miracle network. Then after awhile that stopped. Now they recycle them. We have a great setup for recycling the plastic and paper and hazordous materials now as well as the cardboard.
On the note of each store giving different answers, service, etc... Remember that they are all ran by different individuals with different outlooks and personallities. They may have a corporate office, but alot of what happens in the store is based on the store management. We are on our 9th or 10th store manager right now. Some are good and some are bad, luckily we are being run by a good one right now. As far as the being destroyed, from talking to our claims lady, I do think alot of it is dictated by venders and also state regulations as far as enviromental issues on some stuff.

Good to know Walmart recycles, it would be good if more companies did.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Am I the only one wishing those "Class of 2005" stamps at Michaels are soon to be marked at $.01?

:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Am I the only one wishing those "Class of 2005" stamps at Michaels are soon to be marked at $.01?

:lol:
Too funny. I've been wondering that too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Amen. They are still at out Michaels store here too. What are they thinking?

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I have never run across a one cent item. This has been very interesting to read.
I have seen them come and rip the covers off of magazines, but thats about it.
It truly is a shame how the bad seeds can ruin things for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by parknslideView Post
Amen. They are still at out Michaels store here too. What are they thinking?
... hoping people are behind in their scrapbooking?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

A comment: I started volunteering at my parish food pantry. [I volunteer on Wed. when 100-150 people pick up food.] We had to start crossing out the barcodes on the cans we offered to our clients. Some were taking them back to the Publix[Local Supermarket] for refunds. One client received a One Hundred Dollar check: crossed out the One wrote Four. Took it straight to the bank within 10 minutes. My friend, the pantry coordinator, received a phone call from the bank about the check, which she said was forged. The client returned saying it was her sister who stole the check - not within 10 minutes of receiving it!

There are people out there who will take advantage. We have to be sure to honor copywrite/copyright laws. Our writers and artists need to be protected. So you can understand why companies have such seemingly crazy laws/procedures.

Merry Christmas - hope life is better for us all.

hugs,
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
extra work? fighting over items. are thses people children or professional workers.
Right on!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes