Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-03-2004, 03:59 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,037 Likes on 477 Posts
Default Tiles, StazOn and Sharpies!!

I went to Target this weekend, and saw a 4-Pack of Sharpies that were NICE colors! They are like More Mustard, Old Olive, Baroque Burgundy and Eggplant Envy. They jumped into my cart and begged to be taken home. I remembered that when you use Staz On with tiles, you can color it in with Sharpies. I went home and collected every sharpie I could find, and went to the Sharpie website. Did you know there are 19 colors of sharpies out there? They are: Aqua, Berry, Burgundy, Black, Blue, Brown, Green, Lime, Marigold, Metallic Copper, Metallic Gold, Metallic Silver, Navy, Olive, Orange, Plum, Purple, Red, and Turquoise. Is there anyone else out there that feels the need to "have them all" so you can color tiles, or am I all alone?? :lol:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 04:05 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are too funny! I am LOL. I just bought a set of 12 sharpies in all colors at WalMart. This afternoon I stamped some tiles and colored with mine. I am making them into magnets for the fridge. What kind of tiles are you using them for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 04:07 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,037 Likes on 477 Posts

You know what....I don't have a CLUE how to tell what kind they are! LOL All I know is that they're 2x2 and at Lowe's they cost $2.34 for a sheet of 36! They look shiny, and when I stamped a bunch of them I was able to "erase" my mistakes in stamping using the stamp cleaner that SU makes if I did it right away. I just love tiles! I plan to do magnets for a workshop, if I can get anyone who is NOT a new stamper to book one from me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 04:48 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I was able to erase mistakes with rubbing alcohol--on the glazed shiney tiles and the rough surface ones, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 05:38 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default COOL!

I had thought about sharpies but had not followed through with making my first tile yet! I have them but have not started :lol: But I am wondering if you could just use craft ink to stamp instead of stazon??
This site is just too much fun and filling my head with too many ideas!!! :lol:
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 05:43 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Man I really need to get some tiles to play with! :lol:

wife to Michael, Mother to 3 beautiful girls-Jordan, Emery, & Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I purchased a box of 24 sharpies at Sams Club for under 14.00. It has all colors and a few doubles. Love them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 05:27 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Default Craft Ink

Hi photocropper,

We used the craft ink at a workshop and they turned out great. They were coaster size, so we baked them in the oven and then lightly spray sealed them.

Happy Stampin'

Chris R.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 05:42 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used the rubbing alcohol trick at a workshop I did. The big flower from Buds & Blossoms fits so nicely on the little 2x2 tile, and looks great stamped in Pumpkin stazon . . if you stamp straight down & don't wiggle. We used the alcohol a *lot* that night!

When I helped Beate at a big MOPS workshop, we did the 2x2 tiles with All God's Children. She had black stazon there, and a bunch of sharpies to color in the images. They came out so cute, and the images from the stamp set were pefect for the little magnets. It was a great make & take!

The teachers at my workshop enjoyed them so much that many of them took the idea back to school with them, and they had the kids do magnets for mother's day projects! How fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 06:35 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do the sharpies work better than the Fabrico Markers? How do you avoid smearing the Staz-On when coloring in an image? Do you seal it first with a fixative before coloring in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 06:39 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had the ladies stamp off before they stamped on the tile. That seemed to make it less slippery when they stamped on the little tiles. It also worked best when they put the stamp down on the counter, ink side up, and then placed the tile on the stamp. They could see what they were doing, and not smoosh it around so much.

On the fabrico/sharpie - I don't know of a difference there. I know my ladies were hesitant to spend the $ on the fabricos, and sharpies are everywhere and readily available.

We did not seal the little tiles we used as fridge magnets. Mine still look good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 06:59 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I must confess to being as hesitant as well, on the Fabrico's--given the ready availability and price of Sharpies--right here at Wal Mart!

I keep going back & forth, and I think my worry is whether or not Sharpies would work equally as well on fabric as the Fabrico Markers do on fabric . . . I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ to have more versatility, personally . . . but hmmmmmm. I guess I'll have to buy a few Sharpies and do a few things on fabric to see what the results are to make a comparison . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 07:02 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

ok - this is hysterical to me because I've been eyeballing the sharpies for this exact purppose FOREVER!! :lol: It's not like they're expensive or anything, but I've been so hesitant to actually buy them!

So...I'll be making a trip to Sam's today, most likely! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 07:04 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

As far as Sharpies on fabric - Last year I labeled the kids' towels for splash day at their daycare, and after repeated trips to Sea Word and washes, they still have names on them this year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 07:09 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tiles and Sharpies Beware!

I am on my way to get it all!!!! I just saw this technique for the first time two days ago and I am on my way out the door to Sams and Lowes!!! Wish me luck! I have a workshop on the 8th and I am thinking Father's Day Gifts.....I will have to figure out how to post the end results...I am just so new to this forum and LOVING IT!!! Anyone here from Chas SC? I'd love to have a stampin partner near me!
Keri :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 07:46 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm having a stamp camp tomorrow and one of the goodie bag items I'm giving to each guest is a stamped 2x2 tile (glossy kind). I used Little Layers and Fishy Friends. I stamped the images in black StazOn first and then colored the images in -- some with fabric markers and some with Sharpies. The fabric markers (not Fabrico brand, but similar)didn't "muddy" when I colored over the black StazOn. The Sharpies, on the other hand, did pick up the black StazOn and left the colored image looking a little muddied. I think I'm going to buy a set of the Fabrico markers and see how they do.

Yvette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 08:36 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

OK, here's yet another Sharpie question! Man, and I really need to get busy today; need to make an anniversary card for my in-laws, my son has a music concert this afternoon.

Add to that, my son has baseball game at the other end of the island tomorrow a.m., and then my dh invited his parents over so we could prepare them an anniversary BBQ dinner and I have a w/s on Sunday I haven't even begun to prep for . . . NOT GOOD!

OK, back to the Sharpies. Did you buy the "regular" tip? or the "fine/micro" tip version??? Does it help to avoid smearing the Staz-On by using the finer/micro tip? I heard they were coming out with "dual" tips, but haven't seen sets of the cool colors packaged with the dual tips--I can only buy a set with regular and a set with fine. I've seen dual tips, but they don't offer them in more than 4-5 colors in the package and the only had ONE set of 4-5colors. I want the whole rainbow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Thanks

Thank you Christine,
I am going to try the craft ink and see what happens. I will bake them as you suggested I can not wait to get these going as I know I will love them and cant wait to share them with my family and friends!!!
I am going to go and check out those sharpies as well just to see how they do. I have blue, red and black in the bic markers (perm ink as well) and I may try them first!
Thanks again
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I have looked all over for the new colors and haven't found them yet! :(

I just love Sharpies!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

How Funny! I saw in the gallery a few days ago the Teacher Thank You tiles that someone did and she noted she used the sharpies to color them in. So, I picked up the box of 24 at Sam's too. Haven't done any tiles yet -- but I have my sharpies! LOL The colors are great.

Michelle Agnoni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

A note on using the rubbing alcohol to clean our mistakes...I was using Staz-On with the glazed ceramic tiles and made a mistake. I used rubbing alcohol on the tile to clean it. It came off great. Then I got to playing around and I stamped an object with a heavy, juicy amount of Staz-on, took my cotton ball with alcohol and just rubbed a little and dabbed up and down. Don't rub the ink completely off. Then I set the tile aside to dry. What it did was gave me a very soft background color instead of the tile being white or cream. Then once dry, I went back and stamped my image. Made for a fun background. Just be careful when you stamp the image for "real". You can't mess this time or the alcohol will take off everything! Have fun with this!

Brenda Jaynes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Default Sharpies

If you're looking for the Sharpies check out Ebay. I just purchased the set of 12 Fine Point for $4.99 plus $1.00 shipping. I don't think I can go wrong with that price. I'll be on the look out for the newer colors this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 12:48 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sams has the deal on the Sharpies! 24 for 10.86! And there is all of the colors except the metallics! Great asst.
My first two tiles were not that great but I think that with a little practice I will get the hang of it!
My Lowes only had glossy tiles and I really wanted the tumbled style.. I am going to have to check Home Depot I guess
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 12:50 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

In my experience Sharpies do not work equally well on all fabrics. My Girl Scout troop used them on bandanas and T-shirts. After just a couple of washes they looked "washed out" and dull.

I also used them on the bottoms of my husband's socks. I thought this was very funny, and was very disappointed to find that it washes off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 01:03 PM   #25  

Julie:

The Sharpies I purchased were the fine tip. I got them at Sam's in a package of 24 (two sets of twelve colors).

Yvette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 01:07 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Thanks! Alas, we do not have a Sam's Club here. Is it like Costco? If so, there is a Costco an hour+ away from me and I may be able to get over there in the coming weeks or once school is let out mid June.

Did you feel the price reasonable?

I think I could find them at Office Max, 15 min. away here on the island, but they are $13.99 for 12 colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Julie,
I am from Washington too. Costco does have them, I'm not sure of the price. I would call before going because they sometimes cycle things out for a while and sometimes run out. So I'm never 100% sure that they still have what I was going for. I hate to drive all that way and be disappointed when I get there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Thank you, Pagemaster! Nice to meet a fellow Washingtonian!

Oh, isn't that just the pain about Costco???? One minute there, the next -poof! Too bad, soooooooooo sad!

Well, I won't make a special trip, but once there, if they are on the shelf, I will POUNCE!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Another pain about Costco is that one store will have it and if you go to another store that is 25 minutes away, they don't carry it at that one! I wish things were standard!

But, other than that, Costco is the best! I wish they still sold the RSVP pens there!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 02:33 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is the first two coasters I have done...I like the way it all came out! I touched around the edges with a Qtip that was dipped in alcohol to make the edges all fuzzy around the animals! All comments welcome! Oh and one more question, I was only able to get the glazed tiles...were the tumbled ones right in the section by all of the other tiles? I really would like those type because the chalks don't do too well on the glazed tiles. thanks!
K
PS When posting how do I put the copyright SU thing onto my attachment? Who ever knows please let me know! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Tiles, StazOn and Sharpies!!-great_outdoors_tiles_4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 03:32 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am glad that I took the picture when I did! I went outside to pick them up after drying and the inks came off like dust on my fingers... WHAT DID I DO WRONG???? What type of sealant are you all using? I used Krylon Clear Acrylic Satin Finish it said it could be used on ceramics...it didn't work!!! All my hard work just washed down the drain literally!!!!!!! I NEED INPUT ON THIS!!!!!
Thanks,
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 03:52 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

If you use the StazOn with the Sharpies, do you have to seal the tiles when you are done?? ~Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 07:41 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

K,
Did you heat set them in the oven before sealing them?? I believe that is what you may have done wrong. I hope this helps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 09:26 AM   #34  

I just did these tiles at my stamp camp last weekend. We stamped the image in black StazOn (let that dry for 3-5 minutes) and then colored the images in with either watercolor pencils or chalks and the blender pens. We let those set for a few minutes more and then sprayed them with Krylon Matte Finish (1311). I found it at Walmart. We sprayed the tiles from about 15 inches away to ensure the ink didn't run. I just went and ran my finger on one of my tiles (it's been two days since making them) and it did not come off.

Yvette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 09:55 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Sereikastamper!

I have lived in Charleston twice - once for 11 years and once for three. My upline (and good friend) lives in Summerville. They have a very active Stampin' Up! group there - very creative ladies. If you want to e-mail me, I would be happy to pass along their info.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2004, 07:56 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Not sure if anyone is interested or not, but my Mom sent me this link to an online craft store. I have never bought anything from them before, but right now they are offering a BUY ONE GET ONE FREE offer on some of their craft items. One of the things included is a 12 pack of the colored sharpies for $5.99, buy one get one free! That's only $5.99 for 24 markers! I'm not sure about shipping and handling and to be totally honest, I haven't even looked all over the site for anything else of interest, but thought I would share...

http://www.makingfriends.com/summer_buy1_get1.htm

I think this offer is good until June 15th, but it's while supplies last.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Default Sharpie Markers

Hello Everyone:
I have even bought sharpie markers from the 99 cent store and they are working just as great as the ones from walmart. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 12:10 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Can you all help me on this technique? I have never stamped dominoes or tiles, but am eager to try. A few questions, though:

Where can I purchase Stazon other than through SU? Is there a similar type of ink I can use? If baking, what temp and how long?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 02:18 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Because I wanted to make the tiles but didn't want to wait to order the Stazon from SU I wen to AC Moore craft store, it is also at Michaels and I would guess any other scrapbooking store. I was able to use the 40% off coupon at ACMoore and I only paid about five dollars for it. Once I stamp the image on the tile, I heat set it with an embossing gun to ensure a good set. I then color it in with sharpies and then heat set again. Then I attach the magnet onto the back and there you have it! I use the 2x2 tiles sold in the sheet for about two dollars at Home Depot. They have them at Lowes too, but were about .36 cents more for the batch! Not alot more but now I have almost a stamps worth of postage to send someone else a card right? Save a penny earn a penny!
I have only baked the marble tiles...that way I could set without losing the natural absorbency of the tile. No sealant required. I took it out of the oven dunked it in cold water an scrubbed off and didn't lose any of the image! I did it in my toaster oven for 20mins at 350. That way I wasn't heating up the whole kitchen for just tiles!!! Again, can you tell I am a penny pinching conservationist? HaHa :lol:
Hope that helps you out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 08:28 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Thak you so much for your help, Keri!
Reply With Quote Likes