Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 08-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #41
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
I simply have no appropriate words for those thousands & thousands of people affected by Harvey & the ensuing flooding. I'm 25 minutes N of the DFW Airport, so have been sadly watching this unfold from the comfortable surroundings of home.

Evacuees are beginning to arrive for temporary sheltering at the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center in Dallas ... but is not nearly filled to prepared expectancy as of this morning. Literally 'getting out' of the flooded areas is a serious issue ... logistics are still difficult depending on routes needed.

One of DD's bridesmaids has lost their home of just 8 days, and another is still able to be at home with her young family, although the kids are feeling the effects of this tragedy all around. Parents cannot go to work, "work" locations will also need rebuilding along with homes, schools are closed, food, groceries, everything is affected even if they aren't flooded out.

Unspeakable trauma & hardships for so so many people. My heart aches for all.

Bev, I'm so happy you are not in the thick of this tragedy. I know it hurts to see so many others suffering in your state. There is no way I can begin to imagine what Texans and their families are going through.
2014 CAS Spring DT
Hebrews 13:2

Brenda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
TexasGrammy and wavejumper like this post.
Unread 08-31-2017, 07:49 PM   #42
Gabfest Goddess

I have an old college friend that lives not far from the Addicks Resevoir. She went to stay at her DD's house, while her husband stayed, moved things upstairs, and put furniture up on blocks. She posted yesterday that the water started seeping into the house, and he decided to evacuate, leaving their beloved home in a boat. Hard to imagine.
wavejumper likes this post.
Unread 08-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #43
SCS RAK Coordinator

It is so discouraging that in some areas the water is still rising even though the rain stopped days ago.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Unread 09-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #44
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Praying for everyone and will continue to do so. We ived in Miami when Andrew went through as a 5; I remember everyone saying how lucky we were that Andrew was dry and stayed a relatively short amount of time. I looked around at the devastation and couldn't fully grasp what they were saying. THIS is exactly what they were talking about.

I'm encouraged by the beautiful people I'm seeing, helping each other out in so many ways. Please - Lets all keep praying for that to continue.
Unread 09-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #45
Matboard Maniac

Hi Kerry, from what I gathered, most of I-45 was open BUT the exits were flooded. So in reality, one couldn't get anywhere. Some were turning around and driving the WRONG way to go back. Heard of a couple of accidents from drivers doing that, including a fatal accident (truck going the wrong way hit a semi-truck coming with relief supplies). Not sure if that was on I-45, but one of the major roads.

Brianna manages a restaurant, which she said opened back up yesterday. Also said Katy is a mess, like most of Harris County.

10 buses came up to Dallas last night from the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. Two C 130's landed a short while ago at Dallas Love Field with more evacuees. News said 200 had to be evacuated from the hospital at Beaumont due to that cities water system being flooded. That may be who they brought up on the C 130's???

Lydia, loved the link.
fl_beachbum and wavejumper like this post.
Unread 09-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #46
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you guys for sharing your stories and what you know. I am concerned also for SCS peeps in LA and TN now too. They are getting a lot of rain and some of them are mobility challenged. I hope they check in.
Unread 09-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #47
Proud Fan Club Member

Keeping everyone in prayer. It's overwhelming to see so much tragedy and damage. Love seeing the good that comes out of people in times like these. God bless you all.
Psalms 118:24~ Diane
fl_beachbum, joella58 and wavejumper like this post.
Unread 09-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #48
Proud Fan Club Member

Hello from Baytown, TX!! I live in a subdivision that is bordered by a normally 'lazy' Cedar Bayou. It is lazy no longer! We did, indeed, get 51.88 inches of rain, and a roaring Cedar Bayou has left epic damage and destruction in it's wake. My whole neighborhood, and many others, were flooded. We got about 2 feet of water in the house. Others were flooded to the roof.I will see if I can figure out how to post some pictures - it is unbelievable what our neighborhood streets look like now. Everyone's household belongings, soaked sheetrock, carpet - all on the curb.
I was so glad to be able to salvage most of my card making supplies, but they will be put in storage until we have space of our own again.
Please continue to keep us all in your prayers!! We feel His presence in peace and comfort.
I'm so glad to be a tiny part of such a caring community!!
Joella
aka joella58

This is my house. Every house on the street has their own debris pile.

RAK and BRAK
My Gallery
gregzgurl and wavejumper like this post.
Unread 09-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #49
Proud Fan Club Member

Joella ~ A picture is worth a thousand words. I'm so sorry that you and your family, your community, your state had the intense rain & flooding and now have to deal with the aftermath. It's wonderful that you could save some things including your craft supplies. God bless you while you deal with everything! Keep us posted. Hugs!!
Psalms 118:24~ Diane
joella58 likes this post.
Unread 09-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #50
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Joella, I am so sorry this has happened to you and so many. My prayers are with you and all of those going through this nightmare.
2014 CAS Spring DT
Hebrews 13:2

Brenda
Unread 09-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #51
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh gee...that is a good looking house. I hope it is salvageable. That looks like my friends area on Long Island after Sandy.

I know with Sandy there was TERRIBLE stuff with both bogus and real contractors totally ripping people off. Our friends house was hit-he is a construction carpenter so he could do a lot of repair but some stuff he needed to pay for and he was saying TG he knows b/c jobs that should be no more than 3K people were quoting him 30K.

Unfortunately that is the flip side of the coin. People step up and save people, but then predators come in after and take advantage.

We saw a ripple band of rain from Harvey today in NYC. Not a lot of rain but really interesting clouds. Very dark right next to blue sky.
Unread 09-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #52
Gabfest Goddess

Unbelievable, Joelle. We have been seeing pictures like these on the news every day. All I can say is that help is on its way.
Wal Mart started a campaign that for every dollar donated, they would donate twice the amount....up to $10 million. Their latest commercial was that they raised $25 million! They made it very easy. I went through self check ou, and it just popped up on the screen asking if I wanted to donate to Harvey Relief. Of course, I did.
Then, we have local firehouses collecting supplies....diapers, blankets, underwear, toiletries, cleaning supplies, water. I felt compelled to go out and pick up toothbrushes, toothpaste, paper towels, baby wipes..... I just wandered and tried to think of things that would be needed, and bought a bunch of each. The firehouse is getting a tractor trailer to take it to Texas. If just 10 firehouses in each state sent a truckload, imagine how many supplies that would be! Ours filled up, and they had to locate a second truck!Wishing you strength as you work on refurbishing your home.
gregzgurl, whim6915 and joella58 like this post.
Unread 09-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #53
Proud Fan Club Member

Default So much kindness!!!

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers!! We notice that our priorities have sure changed, and we are realizing the 'graces' from God daily!!!!! We have the house cleaned out and drying. We also replaced a flooded out car today, too!! I really appreciate each of your notes of encouragement, prayers and good wishes!! I am honored to be in your company!
We start school Monday ( I am a school nurse.) Looking forward to a routine!!
Happy September, everyone!!
Let's all remember our friends in Florida as they face Irma!!!

RAK and BRAK
My Gallery
gregzgurl, JBgreendawn and Benzi like this post.
Unread 09-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #54
SCS RAK Coordinator

Oh my, Joella, my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine with the scope of the damage in Texas that there simply aren't enough contractors/construction companies to do the restoration work after the clean up (let along to help with the clean up).

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery