Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Text Weight Paper

Does any paper manufacturer sell 12 x 12 tablets of solid color text weight scrapbook paper? (Not cardstock, not with a pattern, and not just one color but a variety)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, I've looked quite a bit on the internet, and all I find is 8-1/2" x 11" colored paper in text weight.

I recently bought a big multicolor pack of it at Walmart because I'm making lots of envelopes with my Envelope Punch.

I haven't seen any text weight 12 x 12, even at the specialty paper stores like Papersource.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I also want it for envelope making, and the 8 1/2 x 11 is too small for the size envelopes I use. I saw a tablet at Hobby Lobby today, but it had a lot of polka dot and such mixed in with the solid color sheets. One thing I don't need any more of is ugly pattern paper!

Hope the manufacturers take note of the demand and make such a tablet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

This works great foe envelopes: Amazon.com: Neenah Creative Collection 65 Specialty Cardstock, Astrobright Glistens Assortment, 35 Count, 12 X 12 Inches (46410): Office Products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought some of the Coredinations solid cardstock when it was on sale at Joann's, and frankly it seems much closer to text weight than cardstock. I'm pretty much ok with that, since I can use it for layers, but it's a weight that feels like it would work well for envelopes. It's not in tablets, it's packs of single sheets, but it does come in different color assortments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I bought some of the Coredinations solid cardstock when it was on sale at Joann's, and frankly it seems much closer to text weight than cardstock. I'm pretty much ok with that, since I can use it for layers, but it's a weight that feels like it would work well for envelopes. It's not in tablets, it's packs of single sheets, but it does come in different color assortments.
Cheryl, I have some of that cardstock, and I have to respectfully disagree about using it for envelopes. It is a little thinner than some of the more expensive cardstock, but I think it's too heavy for envelopes. It would add weight for my cards, some of which are already near the borderline on weight for one stamp.

I personally think the best paper for making envelopes is the patterned paper that comes in the big stack packs. It's also the best buy, if you get it on sale. The packs are usually $19.99 for 180 sheets, and they are often 50% off at the big box stores.

I'm always watching my cost for this hobby. I compare the cost of making envelopes to the ones I buy. I usually pay about $8 - $10 for a box of 100 envelopes, so making them from a stack pack on sale is a good bargain for me.

Last edited by buggainok; 07-09-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
I also want it for envelope making, and the 8 1/2 x 11 is too small for the size envelopes I use. I saw a tablet at Hobby Lobby today, but it had a lot of polka dot and such mixed in with the solid color sheets. One thing I don't need any more of is ugly pattern paper!

Hope the manufacturers take note of the demand and make such a tablet.
If its single sided paper and white on the back, you could just put the white to the outside and then you would have a pattern on the inside. A lot of ugly paper looks good when you only see a little splash of it, so the inside of an envelope works well with those kinds of patterns. I have tons of ugly paper from stacks that I bought and this is what I use them for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, and I was going to add, you could try a sheet of tablet size paper (11x17). That might be big enough for what you need. You should be able to get that size at any office/paper supply store. I ordered some 11x17 70lb text weight paper from Neenah to make envelopes a few years ago and it worked out well - a little expensive though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
If its single sided paper and white on the back, you could just put the white to the outside and then you would have a pattern on the inside. A lot of ugly paper looks good when you only see a little splash of it, so the inside of an envelope works well with those kinds of patterns. I have tons of ugly paper from stacks that I bought and this is what I use them for.
Agree, Cat. I tend to like brighter colors and smaller patterns for my cards, but I use what I call the "drab" patterns and bigger designs for envelopes. Works well, I think, with the white outside.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I'm a color on the outside envelope maker. If I put the color inside, I will feel the need to stamp something on the outside. Plain white is just too boring for me...got to look like special mail even before the person opens the envy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Bugga, I have to admit that I never thought of the weight of the envelopes. I've used the Coredinations for envelopes for dimensional cards (where you're almost making a shallow box) and it works great - but those are all cards that were hand-delivered.

I'm another that uses the less-attractive patterns from paper stacks (and slabs) turned inside-out for envelopes. Somehow those borderline-hideous patterns work on the inside of an envelope

If the ledger/tablet size (11x17) sheets will work, Marco's Paper has some I found:

Starburst Text
Stardream

If you poke around on their website a bit, you might be able to find more. Both of the above have other colors available - you pick the color from a dropdown box and then pick a paper size from the size box, which makes it impossible to search the entire website for all paper of that size. (I have the Stardream in cardstock weight and it is BEAUTIFUL!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Marco's does have paper assortments with the Envelope Punch Board in mind: We R Memory Keepers - Marco's Paper I did buy a set of the variety sheets (27 colors) for A-7 cards. Just would like to find even more variety of colors out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I took a quick peek at the Marco papers website and I noticed they had Lick n Stick. I forgot about this product and then I remembered I have a recipe for it. I posted this about 6 years ago at Scrapbook.com: Scrapbooking Tip: Homemade Envelope Glue
Reply With Quote Likes