Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on how to use Alphabits and punches

I recently received my alphabits stamp set and the 1/4" round and square punches. I am somewhat disappointed in them. I had a hard time applying adhesive and lining them up to spell out the words I wanted to use on a card. Any suggestions on how others have used these?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:29 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I was wondering the same thing about adhesive on a small area.

I'd like to get that set and the square punch and thought maybe what I'd do is stamp the alphabits on cardstock and then run through the Xyron machine to make a sticker out of them. I'm hoping I could then punch whatever letters I need. But since I don't have the punch, I couldn't guarantee it would go through the CS and the backing. I would think it would, but haven't actually done it.

I do this with my scraps and the paper piecing punch but of course that is a honker punch. I do not have any problems going through the layers.

Just thinking out loud but more experienced stampers may have the best suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I LOVE the alphabits. They are so versatile! I have the 1/4" square punch to go with them and will get the circle punch on my next order.

I use the tweezers in my Crafter's Tool Kit (never had a use for them before) and they work great to line up the letters. I pick up a letter with the tweezers, apply 2-way glue pen to the back and put it on my card.

HTH,
Merrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default alpha bits

I'll jump in with a suggestion here (caveat - I don't have the alpha bits & punch yet; my order goes in tomorrow!) A friend got these and had the same problem....she tried running the cs through her little sticker xyron machine and it was not particularly successful for her. She said after she punched the letters out it was really difficult to get the xyron protective material off the back of those tiny pieces.
Meanwhile, I stumbled on a new (to me!) size of Glue Dots. (they come in a box on a roll and you apply the dot to object to be glued) The box said they were 3/16" and they are the perfect size for the alphabits when they have been punched (I had some other glue dots by the same company and the size on the outside said 1/4"; they were a tad larger than these new dots and just a scoosh too big for the alphabits).
When using the glue dots, it might help to handle the tiny alphabit piece with a small forcep so that the glue dot doesn't stick to your finger.
Good luck with this!
Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeklife
I was wondering the same thing about adhesive on a small area.

I'd like to get that set and the square punch and thought maybe what I'd do is stamp the alphabits on cardstock and then run through the Xyron machine to make a sticker out of them. I'm hoping I could then punch whatever letters I need. But since I don't have the punch, I couldn't guarantee it would go through the CS and the backing. I would think it would, but haven't actually done it.

I do this with my scraps and the paper piecing punch but of course that is a honker punch. I do not have any problems going through the layers.

Just thinking out loud but more experienced stampers may have the best suggestions.

that's how I do it, with the xyron
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've used the mini glue dots, but the 2 way glue pen works for me, too. I just put a dab of glue on the cardstock that I'm sticking the alphabit to and press the alphabit right to it. Works quick enough for me, the hardest part is not losing track of the letters once you've punched them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:50 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: alpha bits

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
Meanwhile, I stumbled on a new (to me!) size of Glue Dots. (they come in a box on a roll and you apply the dot to object to be glued) The box said they were 3/16" and they are the perfect size for the alphabits when they have been punched (I had some other glue dots by the same company and the size on the outside said 1/4"; they were a tad larger than these new dots and just a scoosh too big for the alphabits).
When using the glue dots, it might help to handle the tiny alphabit piece with a small forcep so that the glue dot doesn't stick to your finger.
Good luck with this!Susy
Okay...I'm jumping on in with my $0.02...

For the Xyron: The "X" does *not* work because the adhesive isn't stable enough and there is that extra layer of "plastic"...it'll just gum-up your punch. The Xyron 250 *does* work, but I fear that it could dull the punch with repeated use, causing the dreaded pop-can punching for a sharpening. I don't have any other sizes to know.

My two faves: Mini Glue Dots (the 3/16 size mentioned above - they *ROCK*) - check http://www.creativexpress.com , I know they carry them.
Also small dot of crystal effects--it'll bond that sucker like there is no tomorrow!

HTH ~ Kaylyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:52 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

There is this awesome product called Dry Bond and I got it from QVC for about $20.00. It's a notepad type of book and there are sticky sheets with a protective cover on them and what you do is pull the protective sheet away from the sticky sheet, put your little shapes down, put the protective sheet over the item and rub. The little glue dots are then on your item and you're good to go! This works AWESOME for ribbons and is reposionable so if you put your item down and don't like it, try again!!
Tina
(�.�� (� ;.*TiNa .~*

mY GallErY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:57 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

The easiest way to position, glue, and reposition those little letters is to position them as you would like on your page. Then take repositionable tape and place it across the letters. When you CAREFULLY pull back the tape it will pick up the letters and they stay in the position you want. Flip the tape over, apply the adhesive (the letters won't move) and then re-lay the tape on your project. Press and rub down on all the letters and then carefully remove ONLY the tape!~

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:00 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I used Crystal Effects last night over the top of the alphabits and they ended up looking like puffy letter stickers...a great effect and great way to make those little guys stick. If you don't want the sticker effect, then the 2-way glue pen worked well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I do use my Xyron 510 and love it! I do take off the plastic sheet first before I punch out the letters. It is easier on the punch and easier on me. It is too hard taking off little tiny circles of plastic on each letter. It did not gum up my punch either and I made 27 cards with a 6 letter word: so 162 punches. The letters laid down flat as well. Enjoy! I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I do use my Xyron 510 and love it! I do take off the plastic sheet first before I punch out the letters. It is easier on the punch and easier on me. It is too hard taking off little tiny circles of plastic on each letter. It did not gum up my punch either and I made 27 cards with a 6 letter word: so 162 punches. The letters laid down flat as well. Enjoy! I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandledgegirl
I used Crystal Effects last night over the top of the alphabits and they ended up looking like puffy letter stickers...a great effect and great way to make those little guys stick. If you don't want the sticker effect, then the 2-way glue pen worked well for me.
Yeah that is what I was going to say..I think it would be really cool to use the crystal effects on them and make them like the page pebbles and puffy. The good thing about doing this is that you would have them all the time and as many as you needed.
I heard that the crystal effects works good for glueing also for these.
Just punch them out with the punch and put a dab of this on the back of them and they will stick.

Rene'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I use the two way glue pen, and hold it upright after doing the first letter, because the tip stays gluey and all I have to do is hold each letter between my fingers, brush across the top of the glue tip, and drop where I want it on the card. I could use tweezers, but I doubt that I could hold them lightly or tightly enough and would forever be dropping or crushing them before getting them on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I tried a new way last night for the little letters- I put down a row of sticky strip, and put the letters on it as I wanted them using the tweezers from my tool kit, and then I covered the remaining sticky strip in glitter- it made a nice clean, straight background of glitter under the letters, and I thought it looked pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

SU! also carries the 3/16th glue dots pg. 224

SCS member #7026
Reply With Quote Likes