Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #81
Embossing Fanatic

Also, I have well over 70 sets of CTMH stamps. Never have I had a set not cling UNLESS my blocks are dirty. I wash mine with soap and water and let them air dry. Also, to get a good image, I temper my new sets when I first stamp with them by stamping first with versa or by sanding LIGHTLY with a fine, soft sanding block or emery board (smoother type). This removes any additives that might have stayed in production. Also, I have stamped with all of my clears with all types of ink, spots, chalk, SU, CTMH - you name it. I do not like to stamp with metallic inks with my clears as the metallic ink does not clean off as well. So in those instances, I emboss instead if I want a metallic look to a project. Hope this helps - I am not trying to convert anyone to CTMH, clear or any other format - its just that like religions there is room at the table for all ( in my opinion)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #82
Stazon Splitcoast

We have Stamp Club next weel, so I suppose I will hear about the clear stamps.
Have a good day everyone!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #83
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaLynn View Post
- its just that like religions there is room at the table for all ( in my opinion)
Well said.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #84
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3000 View Post
Sometimes the method of storage or cleaning can lead to decomposition. Not saying that's your problem, but I have had problems storing acrylic/pp stamps on certain surfaces. Some CD cases can be a problem if the stamps are stuck right to the case.

Over the years I found that Storing Unmounted (Cling Foam)Rubber stamps in CD cases. Didn't turn out as good as I thought it would. I had problems with loosing the Clingy part of the Cling Foam. It also left a film on the CD cases itself.

Since then I've been storing all my unmounted (Cling Foam) Rubber stamps in the same Containers that Stampin' Up! and AMuse Sells.

So Far I've not noticed any problems.

As far as my Clear Stamps go. I store them in a Scrapbook. inside the Clear Sleeves.

This work best for me. So far no problem at all.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #85
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathlyn47 View Post
Once again "clear" is being misconstrued. There are two types of "clear" stamps, acrylic and photopolymer. Photopolymer is far superior and a different ballgame all together due to its' chemical composition. Photopolymer is not the same as the "clear" from years past. Those were "clear" ACRYLIC which will decompose with age. I can distinctively feel the difference between my clear acrylics and clear photopolymer and also by how crisp, precise and detailed they stamp. So they stain; so does rubber and that has never effected my stamped image. Photopolymer will not decompose; they will last longer than 35 year old rubber stamps.

I certainly wouldn't retire if SU goes photopolymer. It's new and suspect to buyer's right now like any new product to a specific retail industry like stamping. But you may be missing out on a great deal of sales in the future once everyone experiences its' great qualities.
Good information, thanks. I've enjoyed following this thread.

(I take extremely good care of all my stamps, and also, I'm not in SU for the sales; I'm in it for the artistic expression and enjoyment I get)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #86
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3000 View Post
Sometimes the method of storage or cleaning can lead to decomposition. Not saying that's your problem, but I have had problems storing acrylic/pp stamps on certain surfaces. Some CD cases can be a problem if the stamps are stuck right to the case.
Hard to say. I've cleaned my CTMH stamps with the recommended cleaner, and stored them in their original cases. Even the ones that have never been used are yellowed and sticky. I have no idea whether CTMH stamps are/were acrylic or photopolymer.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #87
Compulsive Stamper

With our new foam pads you should have great images!!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #88
Pearl-ExPert

I'm excited to see new stamp sets made with the poly. I'm too lazy to stamp all the letters in the first set, lol.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 03-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #89
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
I really hate clear so I really hope they don't get rid of rubber. But I love how excited you all are.
I couldn't agree more. I struggle with everything about the clear stamps. Maybe I need some hands-on lessons from those who love them. I hope SU will offer both!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #90
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
I couldn't agree more. I struggle with everything about the clear stamps. Maybe I need some hands-on lessons from those who love them. I hope SU will offer both!
Ditto, ditto!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #91
Polyshrink Goddess

Smart move. Those stupid foam mount stamps they make don't stick at all! I had to moisten the back to get them to stick for even a few moments for stamping and they fall off their case and rattle around in there.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #92
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Ednie View Post
Smart move. Those stupid foam mount stamps they make don't stick at all! I had to moisten the back to get them to stick for even a few moments for stamping and they fall off their case and rattle around in there.
Do you put the stickers on the back of the foam? I leave the stickers off and have no problem with them.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #93
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Do you put the stickers on the back of the foam? I leave the stickers off and have no problem with them.
But doesn't that negate the value of clear mounts? You really can't tell exactly how the image is positioned. I so very carefully mount and position my wood block, so that I can stamp with confidence. Seems to me to be the beauty of the clear mount so you can see exactly where the image is. Would take me forever and lots of mistakes to have to mount each image each time I want t use it and then not have a good idea exactly how it would stamp because the index picture wan't there. Guess I'm just not good at things like that, so a that to the list of reasons why I like my permanent wood blocks.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #94
Kookie Creator

I agree, and it's why I have a keen interest in clear stamps. I used one once years ago and it was terribly stretchy and soft, but I loved being able to see through it. I'm hoping to hear things go well with SU! version. I'm just hesitant to make the leap right now.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #95
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
But doesn't that negate the value of clear mounts? You really can't tell exactly how the image is positioned. I so very carefully mount and position my wood block, so that I can stamp with confidence. Seems to me to be the beauty of the clear mount so you can see exactly where the image is. Would take me forever and lots of mistakes to have to mount each image each time I want t use it and then not have a good idea exactly how it would stamp because the index picture wan't there. Guess I'm just not good at things like that, so a that to the list of reasons why I like my permanent wood blocks.
I personally don't think so: I can tell the correct orientation of the stamp on the block. Stampin up's clings are nicely trimmed, so you can see the outline of the rubber portion through your clear block and know about what you will end up with.

I also generally don't find the index images (on cling stamps or wood mount blocks) helpful: they're almost never precisely aligned, even less so when I put them on myself, so they're not useful for placing images when I stamp.

And clear STAMPS, not clear MOUNTS, let you see exactly where the image is going to be. Clear MOUNTS just let you see through the block.

But, you know, to each her own.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #96
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
For me, stamping with a clear-mount rubber stamp is only a little better than stamping with a wood-mounted stamp in terms of being able to see exactly where the image is. Now the wood isn't in the way, but the rubber is STILL in the way. I still can't see exactly where the image is; only where the image on the sticker is, and chances are, I didn't place the sticker exactly over the image. I prefer clear stamps (not just clear-mount stamps) because with clear stamps, whether they are photopolymer or cheaper material, I CAN see exactly where the image is.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #97
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Ednie View Post
I've wondered if I was the only one who can't get them to stick to my acrylic blocks. I tried to moisten them too and even then they didn't always stick. It's very disappointing to spend money on products that fail. If anyone has tips for getting them to work, I would love to hear them!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #98
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
... They stick like the dickens to the block ...
I was briefly puzzled when I read your comment, "They stick like the chickens to the block." Must be past my bedtime!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #99
Insane Embellisher

TO LINE UP A WORD WITH CLEAR ALPHA STAMPS

IMO, the easiest way is to lay the stamps on your card or scrapbook page facedown, the exact way you want them, and then press the block down on top of the stamps. Has never failed me!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #100
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgraw01 View Post
TO LINE UP A WORD WITH CLEAR ALPHA STAMPS

IMO, the easiest way is to lay the stamps on your card or scrapbook page facedown, the exact way you want them, and then press the block down on top of the stamps. Has never failed me!
Now if I could just keep those little buggers to stay where I want them! This sounds like it just might work.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #101
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
I've wondered if I was the only one who can't get them to stick to my acrylic blocks. I tried to moisten them too and even then they didn't always stick. It's very disappointing to spend money on products that fail. If anyone has tips for getting them to work, I would love to hear them!
I was having issues with them too, sticking to the blocks, especially the smaller ones.
This is what I do....when I first get them and put the stickers on them, I scribble some two-way glue on them and let them set. This makes them tacky, it dries clear. Then they stick to the blocks even during cleaning!
I have heard others trim the sticker to be smaller all around and then place it on the stamp.
Hope that helps!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #102
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
mo But doesn't that negate the value of clear unts? You really can't tell exactly how the image is positioned. I so very carefully mount and position my wood block, so that I can stamp with confidence. Seems to me to be the beauty of the clear mount so you can see exactly where the image is. Would take me forever and lots of mistakes to have to mount each image each time I want t use it and then not have a good idea exactly how it would stamp because the index picture wan't there. Guess I'm just not good at things like that, so a that to the list of reasons why I like my permanent wood blocks.
I am pretty sure SU is the only company that has an image with their unmounted stamps. I have never received images with any other unmounted stamp company, so I do not think there is any negated value here.

I must say, with my hubby in the military, there were times I did not have a soul to stamp with. Not a decent stamp demo or stamp store around but SCS. I had to learn by my self. And that was hard, but when the kids were in school that was my quite time so that was my fun time.

But I just can't figure out why everybody is getting upset, you really don't need these images at all. Not at all. I never had them. No other company has them.

When I go to stamp stores that sell cling rubber stamps, or on the internet, these stores don't have these images for the cling rubber stamps that SU calls "clear mount".

Just give it a shot. You might be surprised that you could stamp without the image

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #103
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=lesliespringer;20056503]I am pretty sure SU is the only company that has an image with their unmounted stamps. I have never received images with any other unmounted stamp company, so I do not think there is any negated value here.

Inkadinkado's cling mounted stamps have the image printed on a sticker on the back of theirs and they stick great to blocks. Not sure why Stampin' Up can make a sticker that sticks too?

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #104
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=lesliespringer;20056503]I am pretty sure SU is the only company that has an image with their unmounted stamps. I have never received images with any other unmounted stamp company, so I do not think there is any negated value here.

I must say, with my hubby in the military, there were times I did not have a soul to stamp with. Not a decent stamp demo or stamp store around but SCS. I had to learn by my self. And that was hard, but when the kids were in school that was my quite time so that was my fun time.

But I just can't figure out why everybody is getting upset, you really don't need these images at all. Not at all. I never had them. No other company has them.

When I go to stamp stores that sell cling rubber stamps, or on the internet, these stores don't have these images for the cling rubber stamps that SU calls "clear mount".

Just give it a shot. You might be surprised that you could stamp without the image [/QUOTE

All my Hero Arts rubber clings have images on the foam and they stick perfectly to my blocks. I find the images very helpful.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #105
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

HeatherHolbrook and aspengirl

Thank you so much for the info.

My apologies.

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Last edited by lesliespringer; 03-13-2013 at 06:18 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #106
Stazon Splitcoast

I just want to say my first experience with cling stamps were with Whipper Snapper Stamps and they did not come with images.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #107
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Lynn in St. Louis

I'm a non-discriminating stamper...I LOVE ALL STAMPS - I judge all stamps based on the content of their designs, rather than on the color of their rubber/acrylic. HA!

That being said, I'm also happy that SU! is giving us the choice on our preference. I'm ordering this set, just so support the effort.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #108
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
HeatherHolbrook and aspengirl

Thank you so much for the info.

My apologies.
Oh heavens .... No apologies are necessary! I was just sharing what I knew from my own stamping room.