Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Demos, I have a couple of questions....

Can I place a sizeable order with a demo just myself and get the hostess benefits? Or do I have to have a party at my house? I don't really know any other stampers IRL.

Also how do I find a demo in my area? I don't want to pay shipping to the demo and then shipping from her to me. If I order from a local demo, I can just pick it up from her, right?

And finally, at what point does it make sense to become a demo yourself? I see lots of orders while I ramp up my supply of stamp pads, cardstock and stamps, but I don't know that I could sustain $300/quarter long-term, KWIM? And as I said, I don't know anyone IRL who stamps, and I'm a lousy sales person. LOL~

Thanks for any and all help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

depends on the demo you choose. Ask a few and choose the one who will put it in as a party. My demo always puts it in as a party so I get the hostess benefits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

It does depend on the demo if she'll let you have the hostess benefits. I think the demo should let you, but each demo is free to run their business how they want. I personally let my customers have the bennies if they qualify.

In regards to shipping, if you want a customer direct order the demo can ship straight to you. That way you won't have to go pick it up and you can use whatever demo you prefer regardless of their location.

If you cannot make the $300/quarter minimum yourself and don't have anyone else that can order from you then it doesn't make sense to sign up.

HTH!!!

ETA: If you want to find a local demo you can go to stampinup.com and look at the demo locator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, most demonstrators will give you the hostess benefits because you earned them! If you go to www.stampinup.com and click "Find a Demonstrator" at the top you can put in your addy and find a local demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

YES - if your order is $150 retail before taxes, s and h, you will qualify for hostess benefits. You can also opt to have the order shipped directly to your house. If you are looking for a consultant in your area, just go to the demo locator at the SU website, type in your zip code and it should take you to several options right in your area.

I could have been a demo years before I actually became one because I never had any problem meeting minimums!! lol! I think there are a lot of demonstrators that don't consider themselves to be sales people. If you craft with a passion and share your creations with others, you are probably on the right track to becoming a demonstrator. I sent out 20 invitations to my Open House when I first started . . . 10 came, several booked workshops and I've been off and running ever since. I LOVE it. But, I never worry about the sales, I just keep doing what I love and the sales just happen!

Hope that answers some of your questions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks everyone for all the replies and PMs.

I guess I just need to decide whether or not I want to commit $100/month to just SU! and be a demo or if I want to continue to "spread the wealth" among a lot of different companies.

Again, thanks for being so willing to help a newbie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I dunno if this helps at all, but with the 20% discount you get for being a demo, it comes out more like $260 a quarter or about $80 a month to meet your minimums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
Thanks everyone for all the replies and PMs.

I guess I just need to decide whether or not I want to commit $100/month to just SU! and be a demo or if I want to continue to "spread the wealth" among a lot of different companies.

Again, thanks for being so willing to help a newbie!
I think that it is well worth becoming a demo if you can afford the $300.00 per quarter even if it is just for a short time. You can build up your supplies (at a discount) and then drop your demo status. Also, your first order as a demo is at a 30% discount instead of the regular 20%. There are also ways to earn free sets in your first few months as a demo. I say go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

i sent you a personal message good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I think it makes sense to become a demonstrator even if all you want is to get the stuff in the kit, becasue it comes at a great discount. After you get the kit you can get an additional 30% off the first order over $150 placed within 45 days of joining. After that you get all the demo benefits (sneak previews of new products and the ability to order before customers can, a demo monthly magazine and a quarterly magazine with on-line extras, and a great demo web site that has a lot of helpful tools and now technique training videos. And if you can't meet your quarterly minimums you just drop -- there's absolutely no penalty, no "Scarlet letter". You can even sign up as a demonstrator again almost instantaneously under the same upline and in six months under a different upline.

My only advice is to find an upline who can be a source of support for you, especially business support. When I started out I was like you -- I hated the thought of selling. In fact, to this day that is my biggest weakness in the business (and it's a pretty big weakness to have) yet thanks to my upline, who encouraged me to do just one workshop to see if I liked it, I found that I loved sharing my passion for stamping through workshops and classes. I'm still not a great salesperson, but since I started 2 years ago there was only one month when my sales were under $300 and I never had to make my minimums by myself.

You can make it in this business alone if you have the drive, but if you're inclination is to do it just as a hobby then it's all them more important to find an upline (local or long distance) who has the business background to answer all your questions as they come up and can help be your coach and mentor without pushing you to do things you're uncomfortable with. So finding the right upline for you is probably the most important decision you have to make, (and, if I were you, I would interview several uplines before I chose the right one). Whether or not to sign up as a demo is a no-brainer since there is absolutely no downside!
Reply With Quote Likes