Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2005, 04:08 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Demo Starter Kit

Hi everyone!! I'm about to take the plunge and become a SU demo. I have been to a few SU workshops and that is my only expertise on stamping. I never purchased any sets. So instead I thought I would take the plunge and be a demo instead - LOL. My thinking is that I'm going to buy all of that stuff anyways and they are giving such a great incentive right now, it would be dumb not to get the starter kit. I'm going to try and do a few workshops - with the help of my upline and this website - I think I will be fine. Here's my question. I was thinking about getting different stamps than what comes with the kit. For instance - instead of Heartfelt Thanks - I thought I would get Year round Fun II. My thinking is that the YRF would be much more versatile. HELP!! What do you think. I was also thinking about getting something else instead of Loads of Love. See I'm kind of on the fence. I think that the others would be more versatile, but SU sends you tons of ideas for the stamps that are in the set. Thank you!!
-Audrey
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 04:19 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

When I signed up in January, I got different sets other than what was recommended for the kit. I would stick with Heartfelt Thanks, it's a really nice floral set. Loads of Love is on my wish list, because it is so versitile. I just haven't purchased it yet.

My opinion, get what you like, not what you think you should get. That's how I go about it, but I do this just for fun anyway. I know that Heartfelt Thanks has been a big hit with everybody who's seen it. I'd maybe ask your upline too what she'd recommend getting.

Have fun, and congrats on taking the plunge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #3  
Polly Pocket

I got all different stamp sets when I signed up in October too. I got stamp sets that I liked and would want to buy. I tried to pick a flower set, a word set, a birthday set, a holiday set, etc. so that I would have a variety to use and to demo. I agonized over it for a while, but I am really happy with the sets that I picked. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:58 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I just signed up and changed all the stamp sets except Heartfelt Thanks. It seems to be "The" Set of the year. So I thought I would regret it later if I didn't get it. I have had it for a few weeks and love it. The kit also comes with inspiration sheets for Heartfelt Thanks. I am not quiet sure how to distribute inspiration sheets, but I thought at a workshop I would say "If you buy this set I am demoing today, you'll get a free inspiration sheet for the set."

I tried to get sets that were new to the catalog this year so I would be demoing new sets. My favorite new one is Celebrate in Style. I love it- so I figured my enthusiasm will naturally come out when I am using it at workshops.

I am using both Celebrate in Style and Heartlfelt Thanks at my open house this Saturday.

I switched the $12.95 sets for ones that were $11.95 b/c there were more options to choose from.

I highly recommmend sticking with Itty Bitty Backgrounds. I bought them a long time ago and use them often. It is great to add dimension and appearance of texture to cards.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 06:30 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Wink

Oh thank you!! I was worried that I really shouldn't swap them out. I looked at the gallery for Heartfelt thanks and decided to go with it because of all the beautiful cards everyone has done.

I also had Itty Bitty Backgrounds on my list - how funny

So I know you can swap a stamp set out for equal or lesser value, but what happens if it costs more, can you pay the difference?

Thank you guys for the encouragement
-Audrey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 06:42 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default heartfelt thanks is great!

Heartfelt thanks is a great stamp. very elegant i wouldn't trade it for the all year fun II. Remeber that customers want to see cute and fun ways to use stamps. Year round fun is cute for cards, but not super practical for scrapbooking or decoritive stamping. Heartfelt thanks is very vesatal. That is why they put it in to your starters kit.

joanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 06:45 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Default heartfelt thanks is great!

Heartfelt thanks is a great stamp. very elegant i wouldn't trade it for the all year fun II. Remeber that customers want to see cute and fun ways to use stamps. Year round fun is cute for cards, but not super practical for scrapbooking or decoritive stamping. Heartfelt thanks is very vesatal. That is why they put it in to your starters kit. Plus heartfelt thanks is a new stamp set. Your new costumers are going to want to see new stampsets.

joanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 AM   #8  
Polly Pocket

Default Can you pay the difference?

"So I know you can swap a stamp set out for equal or lesser value, but what happens if it costs more, can you pay the difference?"

I don't think so. I think just equal or lesser value.

Last edited by lmstamper; 08-04-2005 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: messed up the quote. :)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:02 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I just sent in my paperwork and I switched out nearly everything. The only items I left alone were Loads of Love, Much Appreciated, and the Pixie Pink ink pad. I decided to go with what I knew I would personally enjoy using on a regular basis... and I already had a large wishlist of items to choose from!

You can't choose sets that are more expensive.

Good luck with everything! I'm anxious to get my stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:07 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

OK - here is my two cents. I have been stamping for about 4 years and have also decided to take the plunge. I would definitely NOT switch out Heartfelt Thanks for Year Round Fun II. In my opinion, the sets that have little tiny stamps might seem versitile but when are quite difficult to work with when you are trying to make cards. You need larger stamps to fill more space. And, I do agree with everyone who says that Heartfelt Thanks is going to be the new "it" set for this year and probably quite a while. I thought about switching it out for about a half second before I realized just how many samples there were going to be with this set!

I personally am going to swap Greetings Galore for It's Your Birthday because (a) I really want the new birthday sets for cards I make for personal use and (b) I already have several other sets that are current and similar to Greetings Galore. I am going to keep the two $12.95 sets b/c I think you just can't beat that price for word sets and I love to have lots of words to choose from. I am on the fence as to whether to swap Loads of Love for Natural Beauty, but I think I will just leave it in the end and buy Natural Beauty sometime when I order. My demo has used it on several cards we have done at stamp club and I love it!

OK, so I guess I went a little off topic from your question - sorry! You should order stuff you really love and will use! Good luck deciding!

My gallery
My blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Congrats on making the decision! (It was a huge one for me, and I'm still waiting for my demo number.) I'm doing this for the discount and maybe I can do a workshop or two to meet minimums.

If you switch out the stamp sets, then you have to do it for something that is the same or less value. So, try to look for something that is priced almost the same. If the set is $11.95 and you want a $16.95 stamp, then you cannot pay the difference.

I guess I'd think about how you plan to demo - for yourself, to scrapbookers, to cardmakers - and get the stamps that you think best fit that market.

I thought about the All Year Cheer set too for the Greetings Galore. I ended up keeping the "Greetings Galore" set b/c I figured just the words could be stamped, just the image could be stamped, or the entire stamp could be used. Maybe I'll do a workshop and I figured that would be a good set because one stamp could be used at least three ways. I thought it would be a good way to show customers how to look at their stamp sets differently too.

I also kept the Heartfelt Thanks b/c a) I like it, b) it's new, and c) it comes with the inspiration sheets.

If you upline is local, see if she has any of the stamp sets you are considering and if she would let you borrow them. My upline is willing to loan sets to me (I only have one non-retired SU set now). And, of course, I'll return the favor to her. Amazingly, the one set I have is one that she doesn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Now that Loads of Love has an accessory set, it's really VERY versatile. And it's good for cards for men and women, which can be a nice option. (I LOVE flowers, but my Father-in-law? Not so much with the flowers.) Just something to consider.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Talking

WOW!! Thank you for all of the input! It really is helping me make my decisions. Yes, my upline already told me that she would help me and loan me sets. She really wants the heartfelt thanks, so I can return the favor ;)

OK so my mind has been going a million miles a minute since I decided to become a demo. Here are some of my ideas. Please let me know what you think I promise no hurt feelings, I just want some advice from some old pros

I plan on having a hostess club. I want to call them the INK!credibles (I'm sure that has been used before). I will plan on having 6 people who agree to purchase 25$ a month.

I plan on having a big reveal - I'm thinking an open house like from 11-5. Where people can stop by and see what I've gotten myself into. I plan on giving away door prizes from a drawing. I saw another awesome post where you got so many chances for things like RSVP early, or bringing a friend. Not sure what the give aways will be quite yet. I also plan on giving away little purses (found the idea on here too) with little treats for anyone who signs up to host a party. I'm going to offer a free stamp set (around 10$) for anyone who signs up to be a demo. I'm also going to offer some idea pages for anyone who purchases a stamp set.

I think I'm going to invite everyone I know. I think that if they can see what I'm doing now and see the product for themselves, I will have a better chance of getting them to be a hostess or purchase from me.

I also intend to have a newsletter signup sheet and they can sign up to receive updates of new products, receive invitations for future workshops or if they would be interested in hosting a party.

Tell me what you think - too over the top. Have any ideas??

Thank you again for helping me along and giving me some awesome ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Talking I swapped out too

I just got my kit yesterday! I swapped a lot of the stuff too. I did keep Heartfelt Thanks and Loads of Love but I also got Year Round Fun II (I think it is *very* versitile as well) and Festive Four and some background sets because I *love* doing backgrounds with versamark. I also switched a lot of the color inks and papers too. I was intentionally not buying certain items because I knew that I would become a demo one day, I am so happy to finally have the stampin' scrub/mist and the craft scissors!

BTW, there was a missing ink pad and a wrong ink pad in my order and I called DS today and they were great. Said to keep the wrong ink pad and my correct pads will come in in a couple days!

In any case, keep in mind what you want to demo and use for yourself. It is really nice that they let you swap out stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I signed up in january and I to wondered what to do, although at that time it was different sets. THe heartfelt thanks is used a lot throughout the catalog so as they said before I'm sure that it will be a hit. I think it depends on what you are mainly going to be trying to sell. In my area cards are not that popular everyone has gone scrapbooking crazy, so at my workshops I do a 12x12 page. You have to be careful though I had one bad experience where I had a workshop with a bunch of "young" girls and after the workshop I told the hostess to contact me and we could close out her order and I never heard from her and she dodged my calls. So as a result I tell my hostess to tell her guests that the can make the 12x12 page if they make a purchase otherwise there is a $3 dollar charge for my supplies, but I leave it up to the hostess as to what we make. Also when i first started I would give away a ink pad as the door prize but it became costly seeing that I was having sometimes 2 workshops a week. I decided to make them a pack of cards and put it in the cello bag with a topper. My goal at every workshop is to get at least 1 workshop booked and I use the catalog as a way to do that. I let them go ahead and take the catalog and call me to schedule. I also play a game at the beginning of the workshop that gets them familiar with the new catalog if you would like a copy pm me and I'll get you one. I make small treat bag with some type of choclate and top it with the Oh so sweet stamp set it is too cute. I hoped I helped...I love the "INK"credibles idea I will have to use that.
Reply With Quote Likes