Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Studio G and other clear/acrylic stamps

Just wondering if you could all give me an opinion on stamps that you used and were of good quality. I currently use a lot of CTMH and PaperTrey Ink Stamps but would like to branch out a bit more.

Just looking for reviews and opinions. Thanks.

(yes I searched for this topic and didn't find much related to this only)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I'm certainly no expert on acrylic stamps but I've been very pleased with the Studio G $1 stamps from Michaels. Since they're cheap, you could always buy one pack to see if they're as good as you're used to.

I've also been very pleased with the clear stamps from Inkadinkadoo. My Michaels carries them for about $14.99 each set, and I've collected most of the sets that I like.

Other than that, I haven't tried much. But I hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with Sophia (that's my name, too!) - it's been a pleasure purchasing Studio G stamps. I'm on a very tight crafting budget and I love the variety and I don't think the quality is much less than other acrylic stamps. Studio G also makes ink cubes that I LOVE. I buy them in every color when they're available and released.

I, too, love Inkadinkadoo! If you can use a coupon with them, they're the best value around, IMHO.

I would suggest trying the Studio G acrylics and going from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to agree, I have also tried Martha Stewart's Acrylic Stamps They are nice, but they are thicker than the others so you have to stamp them separately. A.C. Moore has inkadinkadoo's for $10 dollars alot of times, but most times the large sets are about $14.99. Really any set you buy will be fairly good quality I have a large variety of companies and they all seem to work really well. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love the $1.00 Studio G. I have way so many...lol. I use Colorbox Fluid chalk ink with them and they make perfect impressions. I just could not be happier and the price is right for these cute little sets.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Okay, this is my personal opinion. If you are used to the quality of Papertrey and CTMH stamps, you probably will not be impressed with the studio g $ stamps. They are made with the cheap material (can't remember the name) not the quality photopolymer you are used to and don't stick well to the blocks. I had some from the first few releases and they were not quality stamps. I gave them to my kids to stamp with. For my personal stamping habits, they are not worth a $ because I never used them so I don't buy them anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I like Studio G stamps. The price is definitely right. I use a lot of the sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I totally agree with Niki. If you're used to Photopolymer, you will not be happy with the cheap clear stamps out there. Here are some companies that have high quality clear stamps:
My Favorite Things
Verve Stamps
October Afternoon
The Cats Pajamas
A Muse

I'm sure there are more, but these are some that I have personally used. Have fun...there's a lot out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Okay, this is my personal opinion. If you are used to the quality of Papertrey and CTMH stamps, you probably will not be impressed with the studio g $ stamps. They are made with the cheap material (can't remember the name) not the quality photopolymer you are used to and don't stick well to the blocks. I had some from the first few releases and they were not quality stamps. I gave them to my kids to stamp with. For my personal stamping habits, they are not worth a $ because I never used them so I don't buy them anymore.
Ditto. They are very poor quality - especially the letter and number stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

So, an Inkadinkadoo or Studio G clear stamp will stamp an inferior image to, for instance, a Verve stamp? Or is it just durability? Thanks!

~
~~~~
Lisa~~~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I have not been happy with studio G stamps. The ink beads up so I get a "dotty" image. I've tried ever different way of conditioning the clear stamps, but nothing has made the quality as good as quality stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicsmView Post
So, an Inkadinkadoo or Studio G clear stamp will stamp an inferior image to, for instance, a Verve stamp? Or is it just durability? Thanks!
Great question!

I have a few of them and have found if I do the eraser thing and use versafine I get (what I call) a nice image. I will say my more expensive (if you will) sets do "feel" more durable. BUT I just started stamping so I'm no expert.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm another fan of the Studio G stamps, and also Inkadinkado. Mine stick to the block just fine, and I get very clear images with them.

I have never used sandpaper or conditioned them in any way. I think the ink you use makes all the difference. I use mostly Versafine Onyx, which is a pigment ink, for a basic black.

I've also used other pigment and chalk inks on the rare occasions that I want to use colored ink.

I have some Papertrey sets and they work very well, but I honestly can't tell the difference in the quality of the images once they are stamped.

If you are used to rubber stamps, the pressure you use with the clear stamps can make quite a difference in the image you get. You need to use a very "light touch" with the clear stamps, or you will "squish" the image and it won't look crisp.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I'm another fan of the Studio G stamps, and also Inkadinkado. Mine stick to the block just fine, and I get very clear images with them.

I have never used sandpaper or conditioned them in any way. I think the ink you use makes all the difference. I use mostly Versafine Onyx, which is a pigment ink, for a basic black.

I've also used other pigment and chalk inks on the rare occasions that I want to use colored ink.

I have some Papertrey sets and they work very well, but I honestly can't tell the difference in the quality of the images once they are stamped.

If you are used to rubber stamps, the pressure you use with the clear stamps can make quite a difference in the image you get. You need to use a very "light touch" with the clear stamps, or you will "squish" the image and it won't look crisp.
You took the words out of my mouth. I've never had any problem with my Studio G (or any other) clear acrylic stamps. I also use pigment ink as opposed to dye or craft ink.

I've also found that you need to have some kind of "smoosh" power with the acrylics - using a mouse pad or magazine (or stamp pad if you have - I don't) under the CS while stamping. That's made a world of difference for me, too.

I have a few of the "designer" stamps that others have mentioned and while I haven't had ANY stamps long enough to determine the "staying power" or durability of them compared to the "cheapies"; they stamp just as well.

ETA: I haven't had ANY difficulty getting my "cheapies" to stick to the blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wanted to also add that it's really a lot of personal preference. There's a lot of people on SCS who chose a "higher quality" / more expensive product by choice. Then there's some people like me who can't always afford the best of the best, nor do I always want to spend the extra money. So, if you're a person who takes into heavy consideration the cost of your supplies and products then you might want to give the "cheapie" acrylics a chance! :-)

(PS - i'm not trying to start any disagreements or debates on quality vs. price; I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of economic variety on this forum and what's a "must have" for some is "ultimate luxury" for others. KWIM?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a lot of both...in my opinion...

I use my studio g/joann's "less expensive" stamps occasionally. To me, the end product, stamped image, is not as crisp and clear as the higher priced and higher quality stamp. As buggainok said, You do need to use a fairly light hand when you stamp with these as the plastic will "spread" or fan out a bit more than rubber or even some of my higher quality clear stamps.

Also, I do mostly card stamping and find that the images are rather small for my cards.

Why do I have them?...they just have some different sentiments that are fun to use with my cards and hey, let's be honest...I like to collect stuff! and for the price...a buck or so...my recommendation, buy a pack and give them a try.

or if you'd rather, PM me your addy and I'll send you a package I have laying around here...it's a duplicate...Studio G Series 7 Pretty Princess.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Great topic, I just bought my first ones today but I've not seen the brand listed here yet, they are stampendous and I bought them at Hobby Lobby.

I'll play with these tomorrow and I've read it's best to not press as hard as you do with a rubber stamp AND that I should have a mouse pad (or would a huge stack of paper work?) under when you stamp.

How inked do you get your stamps and I assume all stamping up ink pads will work fine with these?

They were 1/2 off at HL today and at that price (besides buying a couple blocks) they were cheap for a set so I felt I should I try them at that price (and they were pretty cute, too). I hear much talk of the arcrylics on here and I've always been a SU only freak kind of girl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinkyfingersView Post
Great topic, I just bought my first ones today but I've not seen the brand listed here yet, they are stampendous and I bought them at Hobby Lobby.

I'll play with these tomorrow and I've read it's best to not press as hard as you do with a rubber stamp AND that I should have a mouse pad (or would a huge stack of paper work?) under when you stamp.

How inked do you get your stamps and I assume all stamping up ink pads will work fine with these?

They were 1/2 off at HL today and at that price (besides buying a couple blocks) they were cheap for a set so I felt I should I try them at that price (and they were pretty cute, too). I hear much talk of the arcrylics on here and I've always been a SU only freak kind of girl.
A mouse pad, stack of paper or stamp pad all work well. I've found it's best to use pigment ink with acrylics as opposed to dye / craft ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I actually love these! I have a separate slideshow on my blog with just dollar stamped cards.

I prefer Clearsnap's Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink on mine, but if you prep them by rubbing them with an art eraser, it helps them accept any ink. This is actually true of many acrylic stamps.

None of mine stain regardless of what ink I use.

I just rinse with a little dish detergent and then put on papertowel to dry.

I use the word stamps ALL the time!

Oh, and don't press hard with either ink or when stamping. Tap the ink and lightly press the stamp. I always try on a practice piece to see how much pressure is just perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I mostly use Versafine Onyx, also. I hadn't noticed any trouble, but I don't have any expensive ones so I have nothing to compare to

~
~~~~
Lisa~~~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2oliviamaeView Post
A mouse pad, stack of paper or stamp pad all work well. I've found it's best to use pigment ink with acrylics as opposed to dye / craft ink.
I know this will be a stupid question but I'm still learning about all these different kinds of ink, I was going to buy a distress pad today but then decided I needed to get all these other idea/techniquest down first. Anyhow, the question is: I've the SU ink pads, the regular ones, not craft of staz on, though I've a few of those, I imagined I'd use my SU colors for the most part. Sorry for the dumb question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I know this will be a stupid question but I'm still learning about all these different kinds of ink, I was going to buy a distress pad today but then decided I needed to get all these other idea/techniquest down first. Anyhow, the question is: I've the SU ink pads, the regular ones, not craft of staz on, though I've a few of those, I imagined I'd use my SU colors for the most part. Sorry for the dumb question.
I don't think it's a stupid question! In fact - I don't know the answer to it! lol I don't own any SU! products so I'm unfamiliar with the type of ink pads they carry or if they offer a choice of pigment / dye inks. Although I'm sure that by the time I post this, someone will have answered your question! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Whew, thanks, thought I'd be alone here with all the smart gals out here who know their stuff. I just came across another thread that said the SU pads will bead up and that is why it's best to use the suggested inks. I won't be saving any $$ if I've to buy a whole new set of inks. :(

I guess you can try sandpapering it but that seems like it'd get uneven to me. I asked if I could use Staz On as I believe that's permanent....?? Seems like it should work but then I'd have to purchase more of those, they are 1/2 off at HL this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Studio G also makes a line of pigment ink pad squares. I swear by them and scoop them up in every color whenever I see them. I don't have a Hobby Lobby but I've purchased them at Joanns before.

If you don't have a Joanns but are willing to pay shipping, I've seen them on ebay for $.99 + shipping.

In fact, I'm going to Joanns tomorrow. If I see them again, I'll pick up a basic color and send to you. I'll send you a PM if I can find any (sometimes they're hard to come by).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Well that's not a bad price. How well do the colors match up to SU colors? I take it they are smaller pads, like little blocks or something?

Studio G, do they sell them at Michaels, I've a Micheals, well, I've JoAnn's too, is that where you said you were going? I'm not going back to town for a few days or until next week since I've been there two days in a row and I want to do some stamping on my vaca, not be away from home.

That is sweet of you to offer to send me a sample. Thank you! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

with studio g I use pallette ink or stazon
with the more expensive acrylics I can use stampin up
other than that I do see a lot of difference in how the image comes out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you, I'll be trying these tomorrow with SU regular, craft, and staz on to see which works. Can't wait, the sets were really cute and not too expensive being on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Technique Tuesday is one of my favorite clear stamp companies. I've been using some of their stamps a good three years now.
They take to ink well. They are good quality.

They started out doing stamps that really targeted the scrapbooking market.
But with CHA being this weekend, they have a bunch of new ones coming out that are geared for big time for the card market. I'm excited for that.

I don't work for them. I'm just a fan. They are local to me.

I am also really fond of clear stamps from Stampington, Crafty Secrets, Hampton, A Muse and Memory Box. Good quality stamps from all of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

This site sells the complete sets of Studio G as well as their ink dots. (VERY affordable) They also sell the "skittles" aka "dew drops" at a good price.

I've been stamping with Studio G's all day. I think they're fun and as long as I apply even pressure I don't have any problems. I always use a stamping pad under the paper. I like having a variety and with money as tight as it is for us right now the Studio G's are about all I can afford. I allow myself one good set a month. I'm about three months in the hole so it looks like I'll be playing with the studio g's for a while:-(

These are a must have if you make the little pocket calendars.

http://www.scrappersmusthaves.com/index.html

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicsmView Post
I find the images to be good, but after a few uses (and in the case of the letters, just one use), the stamps don't stick to the acrylic block. No amount of cleaning and scrubbing helps. They even fall off the binder sheets I store them in. I find that SU inks are the worst inks to use with any of my clear stamps. Palette and pigment work best. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Well that's not a bad price. How well do the colors match up to SU colors? I take it they are smaller pads, like little blocks or something?

Studio G, do they sell them at Michaels, I've a Micheals, well, I've JoAnn's too, is that where you said you were going? I'm not going back to town for a few days or until next week since I've been there two days in a row and I want to do some stamping on my vaca, not be away from home.

That is sweet of you to offer to send me a sample. Thank you! :-D
I've seen the Stuido G stamps at AC Moores, Michaels and Joanns but I've only ever seen the inks at Joanns. Not sure why that is. But yes, they're tiny cubes - about 2x2 in. and come in an array of colors.

I will let you know what I find! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you, I'll be trying these tomorrow with SU regular, craft, and staz on to see which works. Can't wait, the sets were really cute and not too expensive being on sale.
I think Craft ink will be your best bet. But the best thing to do is experiment and find out what you like best! Even though they're not my favorite, I do own some of acrylic stamps because I like the image (and who can resist a bargain!). But I do find that chalk ink (I'm a Versamagic fan over Colorbox) gives me the best image.

One of the biggest differences to me when it comes to the photopolymer is that they do take the SU classic or other dye inks better than acrylic stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

I have most of the Studio G clear sets, at least the ones that make their way up here to Canada... ;) What all of the other girls have said is very true: use a light touch, something underneath (I use a magazine usually), and NOT SU inks. I use Versafine with them, and it works great. I do find the problem with them sticking to the blocks after awhile, but I just slap on some double stick tape to my block and then there's no issue at all!

As far as GREAT quality clear stamps, I like Close To My Heart and PaperTrey too.

Cat's Pajamas are good, I have most of their clear sets, and my Mom made 100 Christmas cards with one of my stamps... it held up great. But, you have to like the style of image, or animals.

I have one Stampendous set from Hobby Lobby, it works fine with ink other than SU, but I find the front of the images (ie: the part that you put the ink on) is STICKY. I don't know if I just got a default set, but they stick to the paper after I press it down.

Everyone will have a different opinion; the best thing is to try a one of every brand you can get your hands on (borrow from friends, ask at your LSS if they have any you can try, etc), and see what works best for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a ton of the $1 Studio G ones and I love them. Granted they are not as high quality as the Papertrey Ink ones, but they work good. I find that with chalk ink they come out great.
I used them to make my Christmas cards this year and they were beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

This really doesn't pertain to Studio G stamps but it does pertain to stamps. Last night I wandered over to the Unity site and checked them out. I was like a kid in a candy store. They had so many cute sets. I spent a little but wanted so much more. Some of their sentiments were beautiful. I'll definitely be going back there. I'm excited about their stamp club. I've been looking for a stamp club. That's a good way to get your stash built up.

Anyhow, I think the bottom line is being pleased with the end results. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to quality things. I've always though that you get what you pay for. I see that in the Tim Holtz and Magnolia stamps. They're so thick and etched so well.

Speaking of stamps...I think I'm gonna go play with mine now:-)

Have a great afternoon, Ladies.

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I always use the Photopolymer because it holds up a lot better than the really think clear stamp material.

Have a great day
Jessica Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

i love studio g. they have little sayings that are perfect for the front of a card, and i use some of the icons in my scrapbooking as well. I just found some monogram sets that were sold in 2008 (my acmoore must have gotten some in, for some reason) so i'll be monogramming some notes, too...

I use colorbox's ink with them. all but the darkest colors (black) come right off. i use the pigment, haven't tried the chalk inks yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

I haven't read all the responses, so if this repeats anyone, I am sorry.

I love the Studio G sets and the Inkadinkado sets as well. I use Stazon mostly but have found that as long as I put a pad of some kind underneath my cs that I get a great image regardless of the ink(even SU classic pads). It can even be a stack of printer paper. I have read where people condition them with a pencil eraser etc. and I did that in the beginning, but once I discovered the pad, I haven't had to do anything.

The only thing that has ever stained one of my stamps is when I used SU Basic Gray with them. It turned both stamps I used it with yellow as soon as I cleaned them. They were clear when I started. Go figure.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the Studio G sets and Inkadinkadoo and Stampendous clear stamps! I have learned to use them better though through practice! You do need to find the ink that works best with these stamps, and I like the versacolors the best! Archivers sells little tiny color versacolor boxes that are priced $1.99 each and that way I can choose the colors I want. I have several colors and they store easy!
I also have a tight budget and this way I buy the cute sentiments I like and use those priced right versacolors I like too!
I think its just personal choices in what people like to use!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

I've used my acrylics with SU ink and didn't have any issues so I was happy about that.

I did find that you need to adjust the pressure to get the definition you want from a stamp as the acrylic *smooshes* more than rubber, it'll be an adjustment but the images of the stamps I bought stamped out adorable and for the price, I couldn't be more excited.

Now to find more time to use them.

OH, one thing I did see that could be a problem, wondered if it's happened to you and how you handle if it does.......ink getting on the block? The block doesn't sit as far off from the stamp as wood/rubber does.
Reply With Quote Likes