Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Starting all over again...

If you could start stamping all over again, what would you tell yourself?

What would you do differently?

What would you buy all over again?

I would tell myself to play and experiment more; after all, it's just paper. I would tell myself to periodically clean up during a stamping session. (Oh, the time I've wasted looking for something when it's right in front of my face!) I would tell myself to try to accomplish something even if I only had 15 minutes to spare.

Changes? I would choose quality over quantity. I wouldn't buy something just because I had a coupon. NO paper stacks.

I would buy again: Genesis paper trimmer, Big Shot, ATG gun, ScorPal, Hug Snug seam binding, teflon bone folder, Copics, Gansai Tambi watercolors, and since I just did a major purge, I can safely say I would buy all my stamps, dies and most of my inks again.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I would tell myself not to hoard ANYTHING - use it and enjoy it and have fun! I would also tell myself to buy things I knew I would use, instead of just things that I thought were cute or trendy. Then again - how do you know what you'll use if you're new and have no frame of reference? I guess the "wrong" purchases are part of the journey. Yeah - I'll stick with "no hoarding"!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give more supplies away...dont hold on to so much. Buy stuff slower perhaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I should have added: Knowing what you know now, if you could start all over again...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I agree that my stamps and ink would stay. I would have bought less accessories I think, and spent more on classes instead of stuff.

I would have commented more on people's photos asked more questions, sent more cards as I made them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You would not know it to look at my meager stamp "collection" or my mediocre skill level, but my stamping dates back to the early 1990s.

What I'd tell myself:
It is OK to "waste" paper and ink instead of saving it for something "special." (I still have a full package of D.O.T.S. Pansy Purple paper!) I would tell myself to have fun with my supplies, not to worry that I'd use them all up.

What I'd do differently:
I'd buy a few things that I really wanted instead of a bunch of clearance items that I only sort of liked. And I'd not buy any of those rag doll stitched-look kids, angels and hearts that Stampin Up sold in the 1990s. (what was I thinking?)

What I'd buy again:
Stampin Up "All Aboard" and "Sincere Salutations" stamp sets; ATG gun; COPIC markers; ScorePal; Big Shot; a few of my favorite punches and maybe my Bind-It-All and original Silhouette cutter (love them when I use 'em, but don't use them very much).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 08:04 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I would do anything differently, because all of the mistakes and searching and learning have brought me to this place, where I'm having the most fun, and I have learned to be accepting of whatever happens. Mostly :-)

They didn't exist back then, but I would tell myself to watch as many tutorials and take as many classes as possible – it's how I've made so many strides in my crafting in the past year or two. I would've joined SCS earlier! And I wish I had discovered the Big Shot earlier, but I've made up for lost time

I started out with Stampin' Up products and still feel they are some of the highest quality stamps and embellishments around. I have always bought what I've not liked but loved, and spent money on quality, with the occasional bargain bin cheapie thrown in. I still do that today.

I would tell myself to limit my stash (which I've mostly done) so I can rotate items in and out by selling them or giving them away, and make room for my changing styles. The stamps I bought 10 years ago and loved are simply not my style anymore, and that's natural and okay. I don't want to have any guilt about moving on. If I've got thousands and thousands sunk into it, I will be less likely to let it go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 01:11 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Hmmmmmm.........not a lot different! I bought very slowly due to budget restraints. I suppose that helped.

I started with SU 10 yrs ago and I'm still about 90% SU. I didn't realize back then that attending something as simple as card classes would change my life! It's brought new friends, laughter, fun, creativity, accomplishment, and excitement.

I'd buy SU again, most of my SU punches, and SU paper. I'd buy my SU markers again. I've gotten a ton of use out of them. I'd still make use of Michael's coupons by getting things like my Martha S. scoreboard for 40% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 01:23 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that all my bad choices have lead me to this spot today, and I would not change anything to be here.

I would buy the Silhouette, copics, ATG, Big Shot and majestic Spellbinder dies, laser printer that prints on 100lb cs, CISS, and I would have gone much more heavily into digital.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 03:42 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree that mistakes are part of the learning process but I would have:

Not bought full collections of any product (paper, ink, markers, etc.) as there are colors I just do not like or will use

Would not have bought the Expressions and cartridges any many other tools I never used or they didn't work as recommended

Bought stamps that were to my liking - as a demo I bought stamps I thought I could use to sell and I never liked them

The big one - don't believe all the rave reviews on products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have told myself " Don't become a demonstrator, even if you are tempted! You will buy things you do not need and accumulate stuff you didn't want."

I would tell myself "Know your style, and only buy what you love."

I would say "You will not miss a single stamp set you sell...not one! Even 'Lovely As A Tree!'"

And then I'd remind myself to experiment with different mediums, purge frequently, give away often, mail those cards, keep it small and manageable, buy that Big Shot sooner rather than later, and think carefully about every purchase.

And one more thing...have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

I would have started sooner. (think of all the extra fun that could have been had)
I walked into a scrapbook store once and thought. ( oh my gosh these people who do this must be millionaires) :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

Good Qs. Long answer:

I would tell myself learn about paper quality immediately and allow myself to play on real paper and not on xerox paper because I dont want to waste. (which my teachers told me 4000 times) Also invest in a good paper cutter up front and dont dink around wasting money.

Have a plan. Dont just buy stuff when it is on sale, even if you like it. You end up with a piggly-wiggly collection that's hard to use like 5 cute little girls but not a single Happy Birthday sentiment.

I might tell myself I have to use whatever I buy immediately and not just pop it in a bin. Nothing new till you use it. Good way to find out what really works before you buy more.

Take more classes and arrange more play dates. Come here sooner. Learn calligraphy and water coloring.

Resist trends and personal crushes. Remember that 70s haircut? Except this you dont cut off in an hour.

Lay off the damn ribbon. Dont care how cheap it is on sale! Same for embellies. And DP.

Be more selective about dies. Yes it's cute. Wait for the one you will really use and is expensive to be on sale though. A great BG die is way better than 5 specialty images you use twice.

MAKE CARDS. Find the time. Schedule it. Do what you have to do. Make it a non-negotiable part of life. Recover some time that always goes into the "black hole" daily.

Buy again: big shot, bone folder, scoring board, paper cutter, heat gun, EPs, glitter, inks, EFs, some basic dies, stencils, embossing paste, pop up foam, double sided tape, self healing mat/teflon mat/and spongy mat, TH scissor, stylus, pens...more but enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

There isn't a lot I would do differently. I started out by going to an SU party a lady at my church was hosting. From there I became a demo pretty quickly. Even though I dropped two years later when we moved to another state; I had FUN those two years. I was working a full time job then as well; and as a demo I did buy full color collections "for business", and some stamp sets I didn't "love" but it gave me a chance to challenge myself creatively.

Maybe something I would change would be to be quicker to clear out the colors and stamps I didn't love. After dropping as a demo it took me a long time to sell off supplies I wasn't going to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks, wavejumper, for my belly laugh of the day, and because I should have definitely told myself: "Lay off the damn ribbon."

That's why I'd buy the Hug Snug again, since I can color it with my Copics, to match whatever project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

This is a great question. I need to put up a sign that says "STOP hording your Tim Holtz embellishment supplies" I buy them like crazy because I love them so much and then I don't share them. In other words They are mine, all mine! That is my worst habit and I need to learn to let go!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Linda. Well, it's true. I could smack myself everytime I see my ribbon bin.

I never heard of hug snug before. Looks like a binding ribbon? What you get? The white? And then just color it? hmmmmmm

Rorysnonna....I can have "Daffy fever" at times...

for you-one of all time favs:

https://youtu.be/P2fMDiclSGM sorry I dont know how to do it with the vid showing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 02:05 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes wavejumper that's exactly where I get it from. Showing my age for sure. I can remember my brother and me using "Hassan Chop" for ever and a day and my Mom yelling "Will you kids just stop it now!!" Thanks for a laugh before I leave for work, you made my day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

In reply to Wavejumper's comment, "Also invest in a good paper cutter up front and dont dink around wasting money,". Best tip ever. And your whole post was spot on!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

So many lessons learned!

I too would avoid the paper stacks.
Resist the "fads". Flocking, magic mesh, original bellas and Michael's dollar stamps that I bought just because they were $1, I'm looking at you.
Use it! Use It! Use it! Stop hoarding paper, supplies, etc for the "perfect" card or project
Self: You don't need to own the free world supply of ribbon and embossing powder.
Don't buy it just because it is on sale or clearance.
Avoid "group think".
Purchase less, so much less Stampin Up.
Use your paints, wet mediums, etc. before they dry up.
Don't be an early adopter. I am a regretful owner of Cricut v.1
Self: You will never use all of the tombow adhesive that you thought you "needed" to stock up on.
Get to "that" estate sale one hour earlier- I got there early but by the time I got there one woman was wheeling out boxes and boxes and boxes of rubber stamps. She bought them ALL. This happened 6 years ago and I am still upset.
Purchase less Tim Holtz and those perpetually brown, "vintage" embellishments. Looking at all that brown and sepia is depressing.
Watch the videos, read the blogs. Learn from them. DONT purchase the products. Use what you already have to apply the lessons and techniques learned.

Purchase again: My fantastic paper trimmer, more of the larger old school sizzix dies, more ranger color wash spray when they were full size bottles and less expensive, heat gun, tonic thin point scissors, the conference table that has been my work table for 6 years, Fiskars die cutting machine, awl from home depot, RIT dye to make my own spray ink, PSX floral stamps that I thought were soooo expensive at the time, funky, unusual stamps by companies that have long since gone out of business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by toodmeView Post
PSX floral stamps that I thought were soooo expensive at the time,
I have to share. At Goodwill a few weeks ago, they had 2 end shelves filled with rubber stamps. Usually they don't have many (or any). You could just tell that someone cleared out a craft room.

Well I started loading up my cart -- 50 cents, 99 cents...then I thought "Gosh I will never use all these". I weeded out a ton, throwing many back, but still ended up with more than a couple dozen. And in the batch I took were two floral PSX's for 99 cents -- when I saw them, I gave a little cheer because PSX stamps are so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

So jealous ,but good for you!!
Those PSX florals are gorgeous- and so detailed. I even like the wood they use for their mounts. I remember not purchasing them in retails stores when I saw them but because they were pricey. I really regret that now.

I am glad you were in the right place at the right time- and at the right price!

Last edited by toodme; 10-16-2015 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd say, "Do more with less."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I would buy less paper, dp and coloured cardstock. I would look at stamps with an eye to versatility, but admittedly, I would probably get bored with them! Waaay less money spent on dollar store embellies, and brads in general, and buttons,ribbon,twine...Must buy again would be Big Shot, embossing folders, dies, SU paper trimmer, SU markers and double sided tape, lots of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

Forgot to list my "buy agains"... Xacto guillotine paper cutter (with laser), MS small scoring board, Fiskars finger knife, colored pencils and OMS, Big Shot, ATG gun, foam mounting tape, heat gun and detail clear embossing powder, and - if Amber hadn't "gifted" them to me - the Perfect Layers mini rulers. Pretty much everything else in my craft room waxes and wanes interest-wise (except for a few stamps that are near and dear)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh yes! How could I forget embossing powder & my heat gun along with embossing folders. I've gotten lots of miles out of those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Toodme...we are of one brain!

"Free world of ribbon...." cracking me up. I think there needs to be a ribbon challenge-or 20!

Holy cow on the lady who took all those stamps. Wonder how many she actually kept for herself?

PSX florals rock...but I have to remember they sometimes made them in more than one size and not get caught with the little one on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I like my ribbon, and use it!! I realize I'm in a minority from the comments made, but that's okay, I still like it!!!

And, can't tell you how many PSX stamps I own, that's how long I've been stamping! Loved the detail in their stamps, and still do!
Reply With Quote Likes