Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to cramos
Default Stamps

Since I am relatively new to this lovely art who are some good suppliers? I am certain that I would have to purchase on line due to lack of variety in my current location and I can only go to Hobby Lobby and Michael's so often :p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good place to start would be to take a look at the member companies and see what you like from there. I'm sure as you get more involved and go through some of the threads, you'll find mention of tons of other companies that you can check out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't done so already, you may want to go to the websites for Stampin Up, Amuse, and CTHM and check out their catalogs. I believe that all can be ordered through reps on-line.

I started out in this hobby by buying things from the big box stores, whatever was on sale. Now I have lots of stuff, but none of it matches.

If I had to start from scratch, I'd go for a coordinated line of paper, ink, ribbons, etc., because I think they would get more use. And if you can pair that with a line of stamps that you like, even better. Unfortunately I have too much mismatched stuff now to justify tossing it all and starting over.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong at all with looking at different stamp companies. But if you're just starting out, it's good to have a good foundation.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Stampin-Up is the only way to go quality products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of style do you like? If you like vintage, check out Crafty Secrets. They are having a big blowout sale right now on all their items: Crafty Secrets : Vintage Designs, Stamping & Scrapbooking Ideas Their quality is awesome and the prices are great too.

While I haven't ordered from her (yet), Gina K is another great online place to shop: Gina K. Designs, LLC Many people here rave about her customer service. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a really big Stampin Up fan. I started out using different things from different companies and found out quickly how much is out there!! I tried many different companies and ended up re-purchasing quite a lot of things from SU because they all coordinate and that is very important to me. They have high quality products and fabulous customer service which are also things that are important to me. If their stamps are not your style, they still offer everything else that you will be using and thier products are top notch. Like the posters above me have said...read what is in the forums and you will get quite a lot of info!! Go to the tool and product talk also; might save you some time with trial and error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Stampin Up is a wonderful resource, but not the only one! there are many wonderful companies as turki suggested. Look thru the catalogs online that she listed. I'm sure you will find the styles that suit you the best! I buy from many of them! I am in a Stampin Up club, but my friend sells Amuse. Again, another wonderful company. Google online, and I'm sure you will find many places to shop! Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Stampin' Up, A muse, and Close To My Heart ( CTMH ) all have a "demonstrator" selling system in place. I know if you go to the Stampin' Up web site you can use the locate a demo in your area function. Not sure if the other two companies have that but it would seem to make sense that they do. All three sell quality products. Coordinating paper, inks, ribbon and embellishment as well as a wide variety of stamp sets to choose from. Since you are new to this craft having a personal demonstrator might help you out, especially if you find one that runs lots of workshops or classes for you to go and play with new products.

Online only you can't go wrong with Gina K Designs.http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com She sells quality product, has excellent customer service and is an all around NICE lady!

Other favorite online stores for stamps and/or paper and accessories:
Verve Stamps : Clear Photopolymer Stamps
Home
Serendipity Stamps
WPlus9 Design Studio - Photopolymer Clear Stamps
Home :: Creative Play Stamps - Rubber Art Stamps
Penny Black Rubber Stamps - PB Stamps - 4000+ Stamps in Stock
Home Page

And I will give you this last link with a warning. Many people have had problems with this company. The customer service leaves A LOT to be desired. For myself, I have had NO problems. I have ordered stamp sets and their heavy white card stock to use for a sturdy card base. My orders have arrived in a timely manner and I have no complaints. However;they do have some really cute stamp sets so here is the link.
Papertreyink

Enjoy! And welcome to a great obsession! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I love SU but there are lots of great options out there. I try to shop from several companies so I can get a good variety of products. I recommend going through the gallery and finding cards that suit your style, then looking at the descriptions to see which companies made the stamps and supplies for those cards. That's a good place to start.

Also, this thread might be helpful for you: online shopping by westiemom at Splitcoaststampers

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. May I ask how everyone decided on what they like? I enjoy the silhouette stamps from Technique Tuesday, but I think that's because I like the backgrounds I've seen done I assume with memento inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 784 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm like Turki, I started out twenty years ago buying here there and everywhere. I worked at a local stamp store, taught classes and made demo cards for various stores. However, when I stumbled on coordinating colors of ink, ribbons and paper etc. That did it. I really love the way things match and can offer a more professional look.

The biggest advice I can offer, is do NOT buy cheap things.

I'm all about getting a good price, I mean I am half Scottish after all, and every McCray knows how to find a good bargain But I am also all about not throwing my money away on inferior products that I have to replace, which just costs me more money!! Well, earlier this summer, I was chasing after a bargain and I did just that. Hear that sound? That's my money going right down the drain. I'd been watching my friend Pam use her Stampin' Scrub and thought that was a much better way to clean stamps than the baby wipes I'd been using for years. When Pam cleaned hers, it was quick and easy and did a much better job. The cleaner for Staz On even got that ink off her stamps and her stamps were not stained either. I decided I really needed one of these, but the one that Stampin' Up sells is 16.00. So...I saw something that looked like the same kind of thing in one of the big box art/craft stores and with a coupon it was only $6.00. I was just patting myself on the back all the way home. Then after I used it a few times, I began to realize that the smaller size was not such a good thing, and it was only one sided, so I had to divide the already small space in half, one for dry and one for wet. It's really hard to clean some of my stamps on that little bitty space. Then after a couple weeks I noticed that the bristles or whatever you call them had begun to get smooshed down. Hmmm you know you can see right down to the foam, those bristles are very sparse and fine. While at Pam's house, I used her Stampin' Scrub. OMG I realized that I really wasted my $6.00.

Yep, I ordered my own Stampin' Scrub, and cleaner. Sometimes a cheap price is not a good deal, all you get is junk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like whimsical, you can shop at
https://www.papersmoochesstamps.com/...how=100&page=1

I dunno how I decided what I like. I just look at the images, and if I like them, then they go on my mental wish list. After several months if they are still there, I will usually get them. I DO prefer clear photopolymer stamps though. Usually if I am on an online store that sells rubber cling or wood-mounted rubber, I have to always remind myself that these are NOT transparent; do I still want them??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
do NOT buy cheap things.

. Sometimes a cheap price is not a good deal, all you get is junk.
I second that when it comes to just about everything! Always check to see how much you are getting for your money. Ribbon is a good example! It might be cheaper in the stores like WM and stuff but you don't get as much a lot of the time. I remember the first time I bought SU ribbon because I really needed a perfect color match, I was SHOCKED at how much came on the spool!!

That being said...there are some things where a bargain is a bargain and you can't walk away from it. I have found, for example, Studio G embelishments are good enough for the price of $1. Their little ink pads are nice too when you need the ink but don't have the $$ for shipping! For pearls and gems and stuff like that...I end up using glue on the SU ones so I figure if I am going to glue 'em up anyways, might as well save a little $$ in the process so those are Studio G all the way!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I usually try to think of at least 2 or 3 different ways I will use a stamp before I buy it. If I can only think of one project that I would use it on, I usually pass it up. Although I will buy clear polymer stamps, I'm partial to rubber. I also buy bare rubber or cling-mounted stamps at times to save and storage space, and I try to buy stamps that will work with other stamps I have or other stamps I'm buying at the same time. For example, I love buying from River City Rubber Works (online). They ship unmounted stamps for free (and maybe cling mounted ships free, too? I can't remember) and they have some great images and sentiments. I can buy a couple of images and a whole bunch of sentiments that will go with those, so I can use the stamps in many different combinations. I try to be economical not only in my spending but also in my space. After buying tons of stamps early on that I rarely use, I now try to buy only those I know will get a lot of use because I'm running out of storage space! If you're not sure of your style yet, just pick a company and see what appeals to you, then try another, and so on. Eventually you will find your style (or multiple styles...you don't have to settle on just one!). Enjoy!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Deciding what you like? It's like figuring out your favorite flavor of ice cream, or your favorite color. It's just....your own personal taste.

Some people love the beach and stamp a lot with beach themed images, lighthouses, water, flip-flops etc...

I happen to love Fall and the woods so I have many more leaf and tree stamps and very few ( if any ) beach stuff. And while I LOVE pens and markers of all kinds, I've discovered I don't really like using large outline only stamp images that need a lot of coloring. The IDEA of it is great, but in practice it's just not my thing. I had jumped on the Copic alcohol marker craze and spent almost $200 on the markers. Then I had to buy a few stamped images that needed a lot of coloring. Then I sat down to use them and discovered very quickly the whole process was frustrating for me.

What I like about stamping is the almost "instant gratification" aspect of pulling together a few stamp images and a sentiment and being able to create a finished card. A LITTLE coloring is fun, A LOT of coloring is WORK. So I sold the expensive Copics and put the money toward some more fun stamp sets and new colors of paper and ink.

While I love to LOOK at multi-layered, very vintage and distressed creations, it's not my style to create them. I tried..it's just not me. I favor a more clean and simple approach.

I think going through the gallery here would really help you figure out a "look" that suits you as another poster suggested. Also, look around your home. What colors so you use a lot? What a colors do you wear a lot? Do you go crazy decorating for Halloween or just hand out candy and have all the Christmas stuff up by midnight Thanksgiving night? These are all things that can give you a clue as to what you might enjoy stamping as you get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree wholehertedly with this
Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
The biggest advice I can offer, is do NOT buy cheap things.
Cheap stuff usually just convinces you that you can't do whatever it is you're trying to do - the result is just not pleasing and it's a frustrating experience. It can take a lot of self-control but I find it's better to buy a little bit of good quality stuff as you can afford it rather than splurging on lots of stuff that's inferior and ditching it in frustration.

Also this

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairsingerView Post
I usually try to think of at least 2 or 3 different ways I will use a stamp before I buy it. If I can only think of one project that I would use it on, I usually pass it up!
Particularly when you're just starting out it's tempting to accumulate lots of pretty stamps because you've seen a gorgeous project made with the image. Stamps that will come into use again and again are going to give you more bang for your buck so try to think beyond that initial attraction if you can.

As for deciding what kind of stamps you like, it's totally down to personal taste. Have fun looking around, apply the "three uses" rule of thumb if you can and enjoy exploring your new hobby!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Even if I was not a demonstrator I would still purchase Stampin' Up! product as it is high quality AND Stampin Up! has one of the best return policies. The company really stands behind their product!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Another question. I am looking at the Stampin up catalog and if I am reading it right it is showing that some of the stamps can be found on their digital program. Is that program compatible with the silhouette cameo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with the do not buy cheap things or things just because they are on sale. I would try to find a couple of demos for different companies and try out as many tools as you can before purchasing. If you can get involved with a group of stampers in your area that will help. Other's always have helpful tidbits on what to buy, how products work and helpful hints for a good end result.
I have spent so much money over the years buying sale items and things (such as ink pads) that I think will be just as good as what someone else is using....just to find myself buying the good stuff in the long run!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cramosView Post
Another question. I am looking at the Stampin up catalog and if I am reading it right it is showing that some of the stamps can be found on their digital program. Is that program compatible with the silhouette cameo?
I am not familiar with the Silhouette cameo so I can't answer that but you might find your answer on

My Digital Studio

I started stamping with Stampin' Up! and dabbled with other companies stamps but came back to SU! and stayed because I love the way the stamps in a set are all sized to work together and of course the fact that their CS, and Designer Series Papers and inks and ribbons and buttons and such all match and make stamping soooooooooooo much easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb&kkView Post
I am not familiar with the Silhouette cameo so I can't answer that but you might find your answer on

My Digital Studio

I started stamping with Stampin' Up! and dabbled with other companies stamps but came back to SU! and stayed because I love the way the stamps in a set are all sized to work together and of course the fact that their CS, and Designer Series Papers and inks and ribbons and buttons and such all match and make stamping soooooooooooo much easier.
Thank you so much for the link. Will take a look in a few.
Reply With Quote Likes