Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping projects for a 5-year-old girl and Grandma

I've been a hobby demo since January and am not actively pushing for workshops or camps and therefore have not done any. However, I have invited a 5-year-old girl and her 50-year-old grandma to come to my house next month to "play" with stamps. The purpose is to have fun, but of course I'm hoping that they will become hooked. I'd like to show them the versatility of stamping.

The little girl is 5 this month and very well-behaved. She loves arts and crafts and is quite good, at least according to Grandma. I don't have kids' sets as such, but many sets with images that will appeal to her. I've seen threads with so many neat things--2-4-6-8 boxes or sour cream containers for treats, bookmarks, bag books, magnets, cute cards--and now I'm having a hard time narrowing down the ideas.

I'm fairly new to stamping, inexperienced with workshops, and the mother of 2 grown sons who never did like crafts! Please help me decide on projects for this adorable little girl and Grandma. I know to Keep it Simple and Short. Beyond that, I need your words of wisdom! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I like all your ideas, and think book marks and magnets would really be big hits, my kids love the magnets (my customers for that matter, too) made with the large flat glass marbles.
Have fun with this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I have a 5 year old daughter and we just heald a mother/daughter stamping class for 9 of her friends. The girls stamped with the Girlfriends set, cut out the images and glued them unto a bright purple folder that they could use for school. The girls then used markers to color in the stamped images while the mothers stamped their projects. The girls also stamped on small metal edged tags, then I attached a keychain hook to them. My daughter is a keychain finatic. Everyone had a great time, and the stamping class produced some of my best sales so far, with the prospect of several adult workshop bookings. Good luck!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Just did this with my 6 year old last night. It was so much easier than I thought it would be.

I stamped the long multiple flower image from 'In full bloom' on plain white computer paper. He colored it with markers and then we rolled it up and slipped it into an RSVP pen.

It looks so nice! Even though he's a boy and the image is floral, he was so pleased with himself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

These are all great suggestions. I knew I could count on the ladies of SCS!! If anyone has any more ideas, I'd love to hear them. There is no such thing as too many!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

They have those canvas lunch bags at Hobby Lobby for less than 2.00, stamping on one of those for a school lunch bag might be kind of nifty. My daughter gets all kinds of neat comments when she takes her lunch to school.

A day hemmed in prayer will not unravel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Also, how about a 2, 4, 6, 8 box that you have pre-cut and scored?

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #8  
Hot Mess

My niece (who is 5) loves to stamp those plastic coffee cups & plant pots you can get at Hobby Lobby. They come with pages to color but you cut he cardstock to fit. She has a BALL making those. She's waiting for it to get warmer so she can put some plants in her pots! She also likes to make bookmarks and cards for her bro. My niece also likes to bake with my mom so they have made recipe cards that she stamped and my mom writes the cookie recipes on there for her to keep!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default 5 yr old and Grandma

My granddauhter started stamping with me when she was 3. She mostly stamps on computer paper but now that she is almost 5 I think we will start doing projects. Still thinking about what. So far I have taught her how to clean her stamps and opening and closing the inkpads. She realy likes Buttons Bows and twinkle toes, Fintastic (which I got here for Christmas) Fishy Friends, A New Little Someone and Favorite Teddy. My hope is that by the time she is old enough to sign up she'll be all trained :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 4 1/2 year old granddaughter loves to make bookmarks, gift bags and basket bags (she likes to carry little toys around). But she loves to just make cards for her friends and family, too. I think any of these projects or the ones mentioned above would appeal to both of them. At this age, she loves about all my stamps - Loving Hearts, Paris in Spring, Favorite Teddy Bear, Let's Party and All the Best especially. You might want to throw in a couple more sophisticated sets (like the Watercolor Gardens or the Sketch ones) for Grandma. Odds are the granddaughter would like them also. Keep in mind Grandmas are notorious for buying things for their grandkids. (Buttons, Bows and Twinkletoes is next on my list because Kaitlyn loves it. My 7 year old grandson thinks To The Finish is waaay cool so that's on my list, too.) One thing you might want to think of, though, my grandkids make quite a mess (on my table and on their hands) when they stamp so I only give them the washable ink pads and markers and colored pencils to work with and I put paper under their project. Good luck! Hope it's a great success!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I did a girl scout troop last year. They were all 5-6. It went good, but just remember that they will stain your stamps and the ink pads might get messed up. Just keep watching to make sure nothing gets ruined. I have had my stampin pastels ruined at a mother daughter party that i did. I myself will not do another kid party. You just might love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

These are all great ideas! Some of them I would never have thought of!! Hopefully there will be repeat sessions with her so we can do most, if not all, of these cool projects. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I started stampin about 7 months ago and my newly turned 6 year old daughter loves it. We have primarily been doing cards and she loves learning the techniques when I do. We just started chalking and that is her favorite. We had her best friend over the weekend before Valentine's Day and the girls made valentines for their family members (the Toucan set)...the other little girl loves crafts and doesn't have much opportunity at home and really took to the chalking too. We plan to learn embossing next.

ETA: The first thing I taught by daughter was how to clean stamps...she is very good about not mixing the stamps and keeping the clean. We usually only have a few colors open at any one time.
Reply With Quote Likes