Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on dinner plates

Several of my friends and family have decided to only give homemade gifts this year and I thought a giving plate would be a great idea. Has anyone stamped on a plate? and what kind of ink did you use? Any advice is appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

If it's a stoneware or ceramic plate, you can use a special paint made for glass that you paint on then bake in the oven. It's food safe and permanent after baking. There should be a few different brands in the paint aisle at your LCS.
Here's a different idea for gift plates that I saw on a TV craft show years ago. You can buy clear thick plastic plates at party supplies stores. Measure the size of the flat inner part on the back that rests on the table. Use any paper and inks and decorate as desired. Use double stick adhesive sheets to attach the paper to the bottom of the plate. Food doesn't touch it and you can wipe it clean and use again. Just be sure not to get the paper wet on the bottom of the plate.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I've never heard of a giving plate, and had to google it. Sounds like a neat idea.

If you are looking for other ways to use your supplies, you can also stamp on tumbled marble tiles to make coasters using Stazon. Or you can make a stencil of out your dies, and use etching cream for a design, monogram, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've etched glass by stamping with Versamark and heat embossing. The embossing acts as a resist to the etching cream. When you wash off the etching cream, you just scrape the embossing off, too. It works really well! I've done glass plates and wine glasses this way...
Back in the day we made Santa cookie plates using paint pens on Melamine plates. It wasn't stamping, but it was fun! I've also seen on blogs where they write out song lyrics or poems with a plain old Sharpie (those are just decorative, though). Ditto the decoupaged plates like Mary Beth was mentioning. I've done those with a decoupage medium vs. the adhesive sheets.
Lots of options! Hope you find one that works for you

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone! I've seen the sharpies used and then the plate baked for permanency, but wanted something prettier than just my handwriting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

Ive used glass paint on clear jars and then baked them. I know the paint was able to wash off before baking and then permenant after baking but the jars said not to be used for food contact. Which is why I used clear jars and decorated outside but inside could still be used for drinks. They are NOT dishwasher safe and I never put them in the microwave. As for the rubber stamps, I don't think it would hurt them but my advise if you want a food usable plate I'd go to a ceramic class and use one thats been made with food safe paints and firing. Or if your stamp looks ok backwards stamp on back of clear glass plates with the glass paint and bake to set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I took some printed paper once and decoupage it on the underside of a clear plate. The only thing with it is that you can't get the paper wet, even though it has "coating" over the paper. You have to make sure to just wipe the plate off, or at least don't get the paper wet. I always made sure to give a copy of the care directions to anyone I gave the plates too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

My kids made plates for gifts when they were little. Not sure if the company still exists, but there may be one like it. They sent round paper the size of the finished plates and the kids drew pictures on them with the markers they provided. (You could color your stamps with the markers and then stamp on the paper.) I still have some of these plates, use them, put them in the dishwasher and they are still bright and clear---and my baby is 40 years old now! On the back of the plates it says Texas.Ware by PMC. There is a banner on the logo that says Quality Value with the letter k in the enter of a circle. That 40 year old and his family sent us a large plate/tray on which a tree was painted and they all "stamped" their hand prints in different colors of green for the leaves. It may have been done at a ceramic place, or could have been a mail-in job, as well. It is a treasured item that I like because I can use it to put out snacks. It is food safe, but I only wash it by hand, mostly because it is a bit large for my dishwasher. A holiday tray would be a fantastic gift. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes