Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2004, 12:25 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping at a 12 year old's Birthday Party

I have been asked to come up with some projects for a 12 year old girl's birthday party. I know we will be doing a legal pad cover but am looking for some other suggestions. Any ideas? She is having somewhere between 12 and 15 attend. The mom is also asking how much I am going to charge. I hate to say $10 but I will need at least that to make it worth my time and cover the supplies.
Thanks for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 12:32 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

I did journals (diaries) at my daughter's birthday... I bought marbled composition books (at the dollar store!) and cut CS to go over the cover. With alphabet I stamped "My Journal" on front - the girls did the rest... I had lots of flower stamps, horses and it's a girl thing... VERY CUTE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 02:27 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Do you have Totally Cool? I think 12 yo girls would really get a kick out of that set. Will there be boys there too? I don't think that $10 is unreasonable to cover your costs since they most likely will not be ordering from you. Or you could do something like discount the cost if they do place an order?? Just a suggestion. I did have a little girl spend her savings on me- she placed over $100 order. I felt bad taking her money- I wanted to give her a discount but her mother told me not to.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 06:10 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

My 8 and 9 yo dds had a party this summer and we made journals. I had covered them with scrapbook paper and they stamped one of those Me and my big idea stamps on white, colored it in, mounted it on 2 or 3 colors and put beads on it. They also stamped their name on cardstock and put micro beads on that and put it on the front. We made beaded pens to match our journals. I posted a picture of the journal we made to the journal gallery so you can see it.

I put in the post for the 10yo boy party something you could use here. Make a dry erase board or a cork board with clear marble tacks. Are they in middle school? They could have magnets on the back for their lockers.

Girls like to write notes to their friends--could you have them make a pack of note cards? Fishy Friends is my 13yo niece's favorite set. Maybe make a gel card--that would be waaaaaayy cool.

water bottle charms. A shrink plastic bracelet--is it Joleene that has cool instructions for them? I bet they'd like her spinner card, too!

I took my niece to a stamp camp where we made 10 cards-she was 12 at that time. She carried her bag of cards with here EVERYWHERE for a couple of weeks just to show her friends what she made! So cute!! She was even showing all the ladies at church!

Girls love to color--but at that age, they are starting to think they are too old for that. You've just gotta show them that stamping is a way to make coloring cool!

www.emilybradley.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 06:35 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

My 9 year old daughter just made the composition books for her "best" friends for the start of school. She made 8 in an evening. They were so popular she discovered she had some more really good best friends and we are making more this evening. She also did the matching pens with them - simple no beads.
We covered the boods and did the shaving cream technique for the background paper. Stamps the large stamps from "Girlfriends" on separate sheet and mounted it on the background. Used "girlfriend accessories" to accent. The "what ever" stamp was her favorite. Tied with a ribbon and DONE! She also stamped on shrinky dink to make a charm that they are wearing on their tennis shoes.

Ten dollars is very reasonable. You can't do a specialty party for much less. Some are now 15-17 dollars per guest.

I have also done small scrapbooks for parties. Used a roll-a-bind and they made about 6 pages. Each guest had the same supplies, but could individualize from there. We set the pages up with:
1. Intro/Title
2. Birthday girl (each child had a photo with the birthday page)
3. Pizza page (decorated die cut pizzas and had a photo of them eating pizza)
4. Hand Tracing (each one traced a hand and then we decorated it with stickers and jewels for rings, some "painted" their nails, etc...)
5. Outside activities (misc. photos outside)
6. Paperdoll page (each dressed their paper doll to match what they were wearing.
7. Opening gifts (each child was photographed with the birthday girl and the gift that was given.

Sorry this was a long post, but the ideas were easy and fun!

Tonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 07:23 AM   #6  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Pocket Fun last year and did a bookmark card, and a 6x6 page-they girls really iked the 6x6 page-I had magent strips so if the didn;t want to use it a a page it could be for teh fridge. the phrase starter II set is good since they can use those in cute ways (especially hangin' Out With) At the Dollar Store you mat be able to find the vinyl photo albums where you can take the covers out and erplace with cs and the girls can stamp those as well. Sometimes they even have little vinyl phonebooks and you can stamp those.
How about marble magnets for their lockers at school?
They also wheeled the labels and wrapped around nuggets in a cute bag-they thought that was cool.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 07:59 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I love the journal idea. That would be simple and work out to about the right time committment.

I just did my first kids party last Saturday. It was my girlfriend's 9 year old daughter so I didn't charge a lot since it was a friend and I was feeling out the idea. I charged $5 per girl which did cover my supplies but none of my time. I did get some interest in doing a similar event for some of the other parents in the future.

There were 9 girls and we made a 6x6 scrapbook. It was just ribbon bound so there was no album or page protectors. I bought the Girlfriends set to use and then gave it to the birthday girl as part of her gift -- it was on her wishlist! I stayed with one color scheme and just did a "copy the sample" idea. It's amazing how creative kids can be even when they are just copying. Each girl's book had her own unique touch!

My girlfriend bought disposable cameras and let the girls go wild with the photos. She will then send the girls some photos to put in the scrapbook. My idea was to give each girl her own camera then let her take it with her to get the film developed. Unfortunately my girlfriend thought spending the money on the cameras was too much. Now she has to pay for all the developing! If I do this idea again I will definitely include the cost of the camera in the party and let the guests each take theirs home.

The girls had a great time. Most of them had stamped before and I had two other women helping so it went smoothly. I definitely would make the pages a little simpler next time as it took about an hour and a half -- about 15 minutes longer than their attention spans!

I'll try to get the book photographed and posted in my gallery tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 08:43 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I just had my girl's 11th b-day party. We did gel cards. I did fish on the polyshrink and found silver confetti dots for the bubbles. I also had coral and seaweed to embellish with. Then I had a stamp that said, "you and me friends we will always be." The girls loved the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 02:12 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wowsa! Some terrific ideas here. I do think I will now go with the Composition book for a journal rather than a legal pad. She told me that her daughter recently attended a scrapbooking party. Scrapbooking is not my fav. so I thought I would offer some projects........but! after reading "scraphorse"'s idea, I could follow that. I will ask the Mom again and she what she really wants. I think ultimately it will be up to the daughter which is fine. I want her to be happy and she will know what her friends like. It will only be girls attending. I do have Totally Cool, Girlfriends, Fishy Friends, you name it. I have over 300 sets--surely I could find something in there somewhere!
Thank you ALL for such fantastic ideas. I do appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 05:01 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Laurel, I just pmed you. But wanted to mention that another idea for girls would be to stamp or write on pillow cases. They could bring one or you could provide one at cost. They could stamp and autograph and write messages..etc. Just an idea that popped into my head.Good luck with your party. Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2004, 01:04 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Just had to respond to this since I have a 12 going on 13 year old girl. If you have a way of letting the girl pick out the sets, do that before you go. I know my 12 yo completely dislikes Totally Cool. She says they look like "wanna be Bratz" ~ apparently Bratz is some kind of something out right now. My friend's daughter, however, loves it. Let the birthday girl pick the sets you bring so she'll feel special.

A cheap idea is tiles. My daughter could do tiles for hours and her friends all did one last year at her party. This year we will be doing journals and tiles because this is a whole new crowd since we've moved. Mini tiles are cheap too. You could make magnets. Or you could get dominos and the girls could make a key chain. Of course, these are ideas I'm throwing about but my daughter's party is a sleep over so we'll have plenty of time.

If it were me and I had the money, depending on the projects and it would have to be more than one, probably three to pay $10 per girl. You don't want the mom to feel jipped. I guess you would have to base it on what you did and what you wanted in the long run from this mother and the other girls' mothers. I got customers out of my daughter's party, so the "loss" was no big deal!
Reply With Quote Likes