Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum Noir ink Refillers Evaporation

I have just discovered many of my Spectrum Noir ink refill bottles have totally or partially evaporated. I contacted Crafters Companion and they said they are aware of the evaporation problem which is occurring because of defective eye droppers. Their only comment was that new refills will be made available later this year. So I see my investment in over 100 refill bottles disappear in front of my eyes. Does anyone else have this problem and can you offer me any advise as to what I should do about it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2016, 03:43 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

That's terrible! I'm really sorry you have to go through this. I don't know if anyone remembers, but Spectrum Noir had a similar problem with their original markers going dry. They came out with the Generation 2 ones that corrected the defect, but there were so many unhappy people who bought the originals.

I do have and use the G2 markers but have not bought any refills. If I had and knew of this problem, I would probably keep each individual refill bottle in a tightly sealed plastic bag and then store the all bottles in an air tight container to try to minimize the continuing evaporation.

Since they have admitted the problem lies with their defective manufacturing issues they have a responsibility and owe you something more than just brushing you off.

I would contact them again in writing and remind them that you obviously are a good customer and have a large commitment in their product. I think I would ask how they intend to compensate you for their defective product. I'd individually list each refill you bought and the price paid so they can see how much you have lost and then ask them what they can do to properly stand behind their product. I would hope they would promise to replace the faulty refills with new ones when the replacement ones come out.

I was wondering, since the liquid in your refills is evaporating, is the pigment becoming a more concentrated darker color or is the color still a good match for the markers?

At any rate, I would keep copies of everything so if worse comes to worse, you have documentation to file in small claims court for reimbursement if they don't do the right thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I was wondering what would happen if you added a little alcohol to the reinker bottle. I know it would be a pain, but worth a try.

I have a lot of them too. I just tried adding alcohol to a bottle that seemed dry and shook it.
It was so much better. I won't add all of the bottles, but just the ones that I need at the moment.

Last edited by larue; 06-24-2016 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

That doesn't surprise me. They are the worst markers I've ever owned. I bought a few packs on sale at Joanns and AcMoore when they first started carrying them. Some of the markers dried out after only one short use. I will stick with Copic markers. I have no issues with them drying out prematurely.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

That sucks and I feel your pain. I bought over 70 of the markers when they first came out. I had many dry up. I was able to rejuvenate them with alcohol but it's still annoying. I can't believe they had problems with the refill bottles too! Does this company not know about beta testing products? Standard manufacturing procedure. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Default Spectrum Noir Refillers Evaporation

Not only does Crafters Choice know about and acknowledge the problem , they are still allowing these generation I markers and refills to be sold. So beware if a great price looks too good to be true - it isn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2016, 05:41 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I also agree w javagirl. SN are the worst markers I've invested in.
I had the first generation
Most came out of the package dry
I threw them out
What a waste
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would photograph the whole bunch, so they can see how many you've bought. Then I'd e mail them that, along with a cost you've spent so far, then I'd be asking exactly what they are intending to do about it. Over here we have an organisation called The Trading Standards Office, or The Office of Fair Trading. Given that this is a known problem, which they have actually admitted knowledge of to you in an email, I would be demanding recompense, or replacement bottles, or you will pass the correspondence to the above mentioned regulators. Most people over here, when they find themselves dealing with a not so helpful trader, find that putting the Trading Standards threat in their complaint tends to get things resolved. I certainly would not stand back and allow them to fob you off. They clearly know the product is defective, continuing to sell it is disgraceful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I know this thread is old, but I just took the plastic off my refill ink and the bottle was dry. I'll add alcohol since I only have five refills, but disgusted to see my investment go down the drain. I like using them, but copics are so much better. But I do understand copics cost lots more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I went to refill a marker a few months ago, and I noticed the same thing had happened to one of mine. I also had some of the 1st generation, defective markers, which were dry right out of the package. They only replaced one set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh no!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
That doesn't surprise me. They are the worst markers I've ever owned. I bought a few packs on sale at Joanns and AcMoore when they first started carrying them. Some of the markers dried out after only one short use. I will stick with Copic markers. I have no issues with them drying out prematurely.
Same here. I bought several packs at Ac Moore when they were first available. In less than a year, half were dried out. They were barely used! Some were never used! On the other hand, my Prismacolor markers that I've had for many years are all as moist as when I bought them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
If that's where she uses Denatured Alcohol, I tried it. Didn't work for Spectrum Noir.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber79View Post
If that's where she uses Denatured Alcohol, I tried it. Didn't work for Spectrum Noir.
That's strange - It worked for me, and I fixed several of my Spectrum markers. Sorry it didn't work for you. Maybe you didn't use enough alcohol?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I may have resurrected an old thread, but I posted a new one called Don't throw away markers... with videos. I refer back to them from time to time to keep recycling my markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
That's strange - It worked for me, and I fixed several of my Spectrum markers. Sorry it didn't work for you. Maybe you didn't use enough alcohol?

I was disappointed too! I added plenty, no effect. Like I said, I'll stick to Prismacolor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I used regular alcohol before I read the part about denatured alcohol. I wonder what the difference is? Regular alcohol worked OK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I know this is an old thread, but ...
I had lots of the refills that dried out and were never opened. I threw them all away and bought the new ones that came in the boxes with the dropper that was packed separately in the plastic tray. I am finding that these are also evaporating. I went to use the Blender liquid yesterday and it was all gone. Brand new, bought last year from Dick Blick. I was feeling confident that since they changed everything and the oil was sealed in bottles they would not evaporate but this one did. So disappointed. I like the markers and find them much easier to color with than the Copic. I only own 2 Copics but was not thrilled with them because it is too difficult to get them sorted by color. Spectrum Noir has a chart with the codes, which I keep handy, so I can look up the colors. For example, on Copics Ash Rose, what does that mean?which color group? Being colorblind, I'm always looking for the easiest way to identify the colors. But SUPER disappointed with the Spectrum Noir refills right now.

PROUD FAN CLUB MEMBER

* * * * * * * * S W A P S * * * * * *
Reply With Quote Likes