Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,036 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Someone Help My Hands!!

Help! I have a twofold problem. As a SAHM of three wonderful children, I think my hands are in dishsoap, laundry or general handwashing about 8 times a day! They get pretty dry and when I stamp a large project, it gets worse! Anyone else out there experience this? Do you use a special lotion at night? Or is there a lotion that won't leave "grease" on my cardstock? I'm afraid to try, this is a huge project!

Then, there is "Punch Fingers." The theme for the swap I'm in this month is to use Punches as your technique. Now for me, an overachiever, that means that to make 28 card fronts I'm going to punch 476 times. Yes, I counted after my thumbs began to get raw! I'm nearly done with the punches, but what will make them get back to normal? LOL Anyone with any tips out there would be MUCH appreciated!!

Debbi
Punchin' away in Tampa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whata great excuse to call up your stamping buddies to help, and cry over the retired list and see what punches they have too- and maybe a little spiked PUNCH to keep the theme. I live in a tiny hamlet, and have tiney mightly groupof stampers - I know they would help if I didn't wait until the very last hour to do my swaps. Good luck! Anybody who helps me with a swap gets to keep a card of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Debbi, before bed I use Fruit of the Earth Skin Care Cream (not the lotion in the pump), you can purchase it at Walmart. It's a 4oz container, and you usually get two in the pack. It works great!

My hands always get dried and cracked :( , I'm a compulsive cleaner!

I don't have a remedy for the sore thumbs!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 06:34 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Debbi, the cheapest way to get over the dry hand problem is to soak them briefly before bed, dry them with a towel and smear petroleum jelly all over, and cover with cotton gloves. Next morning, they will be much better! More expensive, Mary Kay pink grease is really good. Both have to be done the night before so as not to leave grease on your papers. I think it would help your raw punch fingers, too.

The things we do for our craft!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 06:50 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just LOVE BeautiControl's 'Extreme Repair' Hand Therapy! It is the BEST! It makes your hands look younger. It has a 3 wash memory, so you don't have to re-apply so often. AND it's NOT greasy!

I'll send U some, email me... [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

My sister interned at hospital and because of all the hand washing they had to do many of them had a hard time with dried, cracked hands. One trick she learned was after you wash your hands don't dry them all the way and put lotion on while they are still slightly damp. She said that was a lifesaver for her. It's something simple to try-hope it will help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Dry hands

The best thing I know of for dry hands is Mary kay Satin Hands treatment. You can get the whole set which has a buffer, moisturizer, cream and cleanser, or just the Extra Emollient Cream which is fantastic for ANY dry place, tyour face, elbows, knees, hands, whatefver! I do sell Mary kay, but get it from anyone, this is not a shameless plug, just a recommendation!

protect your hands as much as you can, wear gloves when you do dishes or get a dishwasher with a garbage disposal and use Cascade com,plete, you can throw all your dishes straight into the dish washer no matter what's on them, it really is amazing!
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 05:44 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I agree with the Mary Kay "pink grease". It is amazing. I use it for everything. Well, almost!!! :oops:

As far as your poor thumbs, are the punches big enough for you to turn them over and punch upside down? Sometimes I do this and use the heel of my hand to punch with instead of my fingers/thumbs. You should have your DH massage them for you tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts
Default one more idea

I know it is a pain in the neck, but wearing rubber gloves really helps protect your hands :-)

I agree--love the Mary Kay hand creams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I had to punch out a "bunch" of daisies and my thumb got sore very quickly. Then I realized if I stood up and used the fleshy part of my palm to push on the punch, it went much faster and didn't hurt but by the time I realized that my thumb was already sore and I paid for it for several days. I feel for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default punch

Yes, I agree with the above posts, for any of the punches withought the nice & easy little levers, fingers or thumbs will NOT do it, you've got to use the heel of your hand and put all your weight behind them. If you have to do a lot, take a breather!
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 06:10 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Default Hands

Hey, now while you are reading this don't forget that I live in Wisconsin, and giggle as hard as you can but it works! We have this cream called Utter Balm. And it is fantastic! Inexpensive, and for me a must have! I have 4 kids always doing wash, dishes, floors, in the pool, winter chapped hands! And yes it was originally made to soothe cow utters after the ruff milking process, when it was done by hand! Now it is a common household hand cream and beleive it or not salve. If you would like me to send you some I will!
Beleive me it is $2 a container and out of this world!

Schrades
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with the utter balm...but I like the utter cream much better. I use it daily. I like the one with the cow print on the front. Works miracles I tell ya!!
Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 07:41 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

Someone also makes a punch helper thingy (I know you all understand that technical term) that you put your punch in and it gives you more leverage action and is so much easier on your hands. I found it on Joanns.com. http://joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$GFMPTZAAAAOK4P4SY5FRIHR50 LD2UEPO?CATID=82042&PRODID=47756

FYI, Joann's has free shipping, no minimum through the 19th of June online.

I think another manufacturer makes something similar too. I want one. It's on my list for someday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,036 Likes on 476 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the great tips on lotion, and the punch helper from JoAnne! I live right down the road from a BIG JoAnne superstore, and I think I've seen that before and wondered what on earth I would use it for. After doing these cards, I know :lol: I finished them all, and will mail them tomorrow. I posted the one I kept for my "me" file in my gallery. Just a simple card, not fancy at all. Just a lot of punches!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

You can also find the punch helper lever thing at Michaels if you have one in your area and use their 40% off coupon. I have also seen them at Hobby Lobby as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2004, 04:29 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,
The last time I had to punch alot of things I used the punch helper too... HE complained alot, but hey... he was helping!
Kerri
Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hands Help

As an SU demonstrator(and Pharmacist), there is a product called
AmLactin 12% lotion that works great on hands and dry skin. It is also available as LacHydrin, but that is a cream and doesn't worlk as well. It is available generically as Ammonium Lactate 12% lotion. You may ave to ask th Pharmacist for it since it maybe kept behind th RX counter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Another take on this problem

Hi! I know where you are coming from. Aside from all the stamping, cutting, mounting and punching that I do, I also have a son with Spina Bifida (he's 3) and has to be catheterized about 5-6 times per day (urinary). Washing, washing, washing! My hands at times have been known to crack and bleed constantly. After almost 3 years of cathing him, I've learned this:

DRINK TONS OF WATER! :-) !

AND either take Essential Fatty acids (Omega 3, 6, 9, I think) from a health food store (in capsule form or otherwise) or eat avacado, olives, and *butter* instead of margarine more often.

I take a great (expensive) fatty acid supplement and it has made a HUGE difference! Hangnails go away, dry heels go away, even my ugly elbows are soft! Skin truly needs to be moisturized from the inside out to be lasting. And water helps with losing weight and getting toxins (junkfood!) out of our bodies.

Make sure if you buy EFA that it comes in a darkened capsule or bottle or else it will oxidize. (bad)

Carry water with you all day, and sip it often. A little bit often is better than a few huge glasses because your kidneys can only process so much at once. 3 oz at a time is a good amount.

The reason for butter instead of margarine is that margarine is full of free radicals (bad, they're what antioxidants fight) and is in a non-natural state. Have you thought of what they have to do to vegetable oil to make it solid at room temperature? Butter is a more natural product, and while excessive amounts are not good, using it is much better than using margarine. Use wisely in smaller amounts, but it is a good thing. These helpful fats they are also finding help prevent alzheimers.

I am a fan of great lotion. Those with almond oil or avacado oil I think moisturize and are better for you than those with mineral oil as an ingredient. AVEDA makes some awesome hand lotion, look in health food stores for good stuff. One of my favorite ointments is called Un-Petroleum Jelly and can be found lots of places online. It's just like petroleum jelly but made with ingredients that are better for the skin. It is awesome!

HTH,
Christy Whetten
SU demo
CLC (Certified Lactation Counselor)
Reply With Quote Likes