Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Simon Says Stamp - bad shipping? (Minc)

Hi SCS. Long time reader, first time poster (as you can no doubt tell!),

I basically need to be told if I'm under or overreacting. I ordered the Minc machine from Simon Says Stamp and received it today. It was a bit slow to ship, but that's not what ultimately bothered me.

It arrived today in the same box it would come in if you put it off the shelf at a local brick and mortar store. Nothing else. No additional boxing or protection like bubblewrap. Just a label and some packing tape slapped on it. There was foam corners in the box holding the machine in place, but I'm not sure that would have helped against rough handling or inclement weather (hello, I live in Chicago. That's ALL our weather!). The box handle broke, which isn't a huge deal. I guess no packing it pack up in its box to take it to crops, though... I don't know. I'm... concerned? Unimpressed?

This machine wasn't cheap and I did pay for shipping. It's not like I elected to have it shipped for free.

Am I overreacting? I haven't turned it on yet, so I don't know if there's a problem with the machine yet, but my main concern right now is with the customer service and apparent lack of care in shipping it. Should I contact customer service? I'm not even sure what I'd say.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Hi, welcome! Contacting customer service directly about a concern is always the best first step.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

My question was more, is this something I should be upset about or am I overreacting?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I would have been surprised as well. If it were me, I'd probably contact them politely even if it does work, and express my surprise/concern so they can improve their packaging if need be in the future. Most companies are appreciative of constructive feedback.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegendofsaraView Post
My question was more, is this something I should be upset about or am I overreacting?
I wouldn't have been upset by that. The box sounds as sturdy as shipping boxes and if something doesn't exactly fit in a shipping box it is more at risk of damage from sliding etc within the bigger box.

We get a lot of shipments from many different companies at work and it's not at all unusual to have something ship in just the original box. As long as the item inside is okay I have no problem with that shipping approach.

That's just my thoughts, you certainly could feel differently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how big this particular item is, but I used to work in a retail store, and there are MANY items that come in on the delivery truck just like that: in their original retail box, with nothing more than the packing or routing slip taped to the box. Lamps, electronics, baby furniture/strollers/car seats, cookware sets, larger kitchen appliances, etc. Can you imagine how huge a box it would have to be to hold four car seats?

Would it annoy me? Yeah, it always does. Enough to contact the company about? Not unless the product inside is actually broken. It's just how it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome. Hope your machine is 100% perfect. Let us know how you like it.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I think it is getting more and more common for items to be shipped solely in their off-the shelf container. I have received a number of items including a floor steamer (that didn't work) from Amazon and a sewing machine from HSN (at Christmas time no less - forget any surprise gift) in their store shelf boxes. I know there is a big deal about over-packaging being bad for the environment, but when the box shows up with an unremovable shipping label slapped on plus tears and holes in it, I wouldn't want to give it as a gift. Both the sewing machine and steamer were returned. I got a hassle from Dirt Devil because of the condition of the box. It was in the exact same condition it was when I received it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

For me it all depends on the condition of the package upon arrival. If the product is unharmed and I don't need the box, then I'm good. Otherwise, I would contact the company.

When possible I'll pick the least amount of packaging so I don't have to recycle and I love that all I get is a shipping box and the product. When I order ATG tape from framingsupplies.com my tape is in the original small boxes that are wrapped in bubble wrap. It's great because there is no extra box and it's less weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegendofsaraView Post
Hi SCS. Long time reader, first time poster (as you can no doubt tell!),

I basically need to be told if I'm under or overreacting. I ordered the Minc machine from Simon Says Stamp and received it today. It was a bit slow to ship, but that's not what ultimately bothered me.

It arrived today in the same box it would come in if you put it off the shelf at a local brick and mortar store. Nothing else. No additional boxing or protection like bubblewrap. Just a label and some packing tape slapped on it. There was foam corners in the box holding the machine in place, but I'm not sure that would have helped against rough handling or inclement weather (hello, I live in Chicago. That's ALL our weather!). The box handle broke, which isn't a huge deal. I guess no packing it pack up in its box to take it to crops, though... I don't know. I'm... concerned? Unimpressed?

This machine wasn't cheap and I did pay for shipping. It's not like I elected to have it shipped for free.

Am I overreacting? I haven't turned it on yet, so I don't know if there's a problem with the machine yet, but my main concern right now is with the customer service and apparent lack of care in shipping it. Should I contact customer service? I'm not even sure what I'd say.
I've had, specifically machines, arrive solely in their original packing. I did inquire and found the store I ordered from didn't do the shipping. In both cases it was shipped directly from the manufacturer. I don't like packages like this sitting on the front porch for anyone to see what's in the box. It's just not a good way to ship to customers period. I don't blame you for being upset.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2015, 05:58 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I would have been surprised as well. If it were me, I'd probably contact them politely even if it does work, and express my surprise/concern so they can improve their packaging if need be in the future. Most companies are appreciative of constructive feedback.
I agree with Dini....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I buy most of my supplies from Simon Says Stamp and have found that lately they are using the most inexpensive packaging they can to ship. On one of my past orders I received some foil cardstock in some of the USPS flimsy plastic-type envelopes. It was slightly bent on one corner but I was able to smooth it out.

I really hope this isn't the new "norm" with SSS. I really like the variety of products they carry.

I have never had any other problems with them. I bought a stamp set that had a small bubble in one of the stamps and they have emailed saying they are sending me a replacement stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #13  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I guess as a frequent online shopper I'm not surprised or alarmed. As a matter of fact, yesterday, I received this from Office Depot - my shredder in its original packaging.

They get to the reseller that way so it's not that crazy that they'd re-ship that way.

I've been a shredding fool all weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Simon Says Stamp - bad shipping? (Minc)-img_0789.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2015, 02:42 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

That's interesting because I thought a package had to be totally blank for the USPS to take it. I did not think they would take a package with all of that printing on it. Maybe these are shipped a different way?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2015, 03:15 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with a couple of the others, and would not have been happy to receive that. Hubby ordered some speakers for his PC recently, we were both shocked they arrived in the retail box only. Not how parcels normally get shipped over here. I know they usually get shipped to stores like that, but they are normally packed quite tightly with other stuff into roller cages. I used to work in retail so understand that. Thats completely different to 'loose' parcels being sent thorough the shipping system. Far too easy for knocks and bumps to cause some damage to the product. I too would contact them, after I'd tested it, just to be on the safe side, and say that for an expensive product, you thought it should have warranted better protection, if only to help them ensure against having to replace a faulty product. After all, a cardboard box & padding is cheaper to them than a new machine! Plus, if it has to be left in a porch/ outside area, it's a bit of a temptation if people can see what it is. There is also the possibility it may be a gift- no-one likes to gift a damaged box- it looks like you bought it cheap/second hand.
Its a fine line between over packaging, which some people are indeed guilty of, but as long as its recyclable, I'm not upset by that, and under packaging, which I'd definitely rate this as.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I was pricing a new Silhouette Portrait (my well-used SD is on it's last legs) and I saw this in the Amazon description:

"This item will be visible when delivered. To keep it a surprise, select This is a gift in checkout. "

So I guess there is a way around the items being shipped in their original boxes with Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever I receive a package that is damaged (like your broken handle) I take a picture of it exactly as it looks as delivered so that if I open it, and find problems, I have a photo of the damaged box.
I don't do a lot of online shopping so I would have been surprised by it shipping like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
That's interesting because I thought a package had to be totally blank for the USPS to take it. I did not think they would take a package with all of that printing on it. Maybe these are shipped a different way?
That's true if you are reusing boxes that originally held alcohol or pharmaceuticals. The post office won't accept them unless all the writing printed on them is blacked out or otherwise covered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2015, 02:20 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

At least Amazon give you a heads up on how it will be shipped, and an option. Maybe a few others should offer the same info & option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I noticed more and more companies are using cheap packing material or shipping items in thier original box with out packaging in a shipping box. I think it's because of the issue with the shipping rate hikes that have happened. I was gifting many items and it cost me so much because they take which ever is higher, the dim weight or the actual weight. Most times it's the dim weight hence the change in packing. An additional inch can mean a spike in costs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

My post office won't accept boxes that have any writing at all on them. I've never received any packages that are the original boxes either. They are always packed inside other boxes. I would be pretty annoyed if the boxes weren't in outer shipping boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm at the other end of the spectrum on this. I would be quite upset that it didn't come in the original packaging. First, the original packaging is designed to protect it from all the bouncing around and rough handling the items inside get treated to. The original packaging is always the best to protect the item. Second, I'd be suspicious that what I received wasn't actually a new item and had been either a refurbished or returned item repacked and shipped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would be annoyed. They mailed it in it's original packaging to save on shipping supplies (boxes, tape and stuffing of some kind). But I always appreciate the extra protection of having it shipped inside additional packaging. I always assume the original packaging is more geared for general retail protection and not shipping protection, kwim?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

The thing about retail is that often it is coming from the DC of the retail chain...so they open the original mfg box, split out the items to go out to the stores, and then pop em on skids and shrink wrap them together.

I would not like to get a package that way. It is a good way to get something stolen and there has been plenty of discussion in the news about that (off porches) although they dont seem to care and will take a plain box too. We have all also seen the packages getting kicked, thrown etc over and over on tv by carriers. Companies cant live in a bubble.

I just think if you spend the $$ and esp if you paid for shipping...they need to step up and present it to you like it is a valuable good thing to get, not a milk bottle.

I let companies know both ways on shipping. I have complained to some and complimented others-some have packed like it was a gift...beautiful tissue paper inside and so on-just lovely and I said so to them.

Test it and make sure it works asap. I'd contact them in writing (most have email options) and say I dont appreciate the lack of an outer shipping box on an expensive item, esp when I paid for shipping. I would not get upset-stay calm and just say if you continue to receive items like that from them you will shop elsewhere.

SSS is not the cheapest kid in town either so I am very disappointed to hear they are cheaping out on the packaging.

Companies that do mail order/internet business are already saving the B&M costs on the item. This is not appropriate in my mind.

Last edited by wavejumper; 03-14-2015 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I'm at the other end of the spectrum on this. I would be quite upset that it didn't come in the original packaging. First, the original packaging is designed to protect it from all the bouncing around and rough handling the items inside get treated to. The original packaging is always the best to protect the item. Second, I'd be suspicious that what I received wasn't actually a new item and had been either a refurbished or returned item repacked and shipped.
I don't think she's saying she doesn't want the original packaging, rather that the original packaged box should be shipped within an outer box.

For all those that think "Oh the packaging is sturdy, it's meant to ship that way", no it's not. The manufacturer stacks these products on pallets and shrink wraps them all together, which is far far sturdier than a stand-alone box. You can't kick or throw a pallet around, which is exactly what happens to items shipped via USPS, FedEx, etc...

I would be indignant if it showed up on my doorstep like that. For starters, it's nobody's business but my own as to what I'm purchasing. My mailman doesn't need to know, my neighbors don't need to know, the postmistress doesn't need to know, heck the post office cleaners don't need to know! And I say that from experience because my mom had the cleaning contract for our local post office when I was in my late teens, and she'd often take one of us kids to do the dusting. Don't think we weren't Nosey McNosersons every chance we got! (Kids, not mom).

Second, particularly in the case of electronics, it needs better packaging than what it comes in to get bounced around the way it does. Aside from computers, I've yet to see packaging I would trust to kick my electronics across the floor. I can't tell you the number of times I've received boxes that have large chunks torn out or partially ripped.

Just two cents from a gal whose dad was a long-haul trucker, and a hubby who is a shipper/receiver.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes