Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Signing up as A SU Demo -Questions

I have been thinking of signing up as a SU Hobby Demo as last year I spent quite a bit of money and I would like to enjoy the demo discount. My question is I am thinking of signing up and if I don't meet the quarterly earnings I was thinking I will let my demo contract lapse and sign up again in another quarter. Is this easy or does SU discourage people from signing up again and again? Do you get the kit every time you sign up? Is it something I need to declare on my taxes as a buisness (I live in Canada)?

Thank you ladies!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365Blueskies View Post
I have been thinking of signing up as a SU Hobby Demo as last year I spent quite a bit of money and I would like to enjoy the demo discount. My question is I am thinking of signing up and if I don't meet the quarterly earnings I was thinking I will let my demo contract lapse and sign up again in another quarter. Is this easy or does SU discourage people from signing up again and again? Do you get the kit every time you sign up? Is it something I need to declare on my taxes as a buisness (I live in Canada)?

Thank you ladies!
SU does not seem to mind if demos sign up multiple times. My daughter dropped recently and received an email encouraging her to sign up again. You do need to purchase the kit each time, but you get to choose whatever you like for it. If you are only buying for yourself, it is considered a discount not income for tax purposes. If you sell to others, there will be a point (not sure what the $ amount is for Canada) that you would need to bother with taxes.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Glitter Queen

What is the basic discount that you will get?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

The basic discount is 20%.
For your first workshop-sized order ($200 in Canada), you get a 30% discount.

Last year one of my downline dropped at the end of October, and SU! helped expedite her rejoining in November to get in on the free Big Shot.

Check with your accountant for the tax rules. As a hobby demo, unless you are selling a lot, you will have expenses to deduct, thus your net income for the business tends to be zero (or lower)

If you sign up now (before the end of August would be awesome because you'd get the tray kit), you would have until the end of December to meet your minimums. If you don't by then, you have January as a pending month to "make up the difference". Then you drop.
You could join up again in early February if you wanted.

Hardest choice is actually deciding what $155 of merchandise to include in your Starter Kit ... you want to be as close as you can, without going over.
Even better, there's no shipping, and no GST or HST on the kit. (Have you switched back yet, or do you still have HST in BC?) So just buying the kit is a big savings!

Go for it ... I have yet to meet somebody who bought the kit and regrets it.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Glitter Queen

I believe the tax changes over in the spring. They needed almost 2 years to undue the tax I am going to wait to sign up until the next offer. I am not into the halloween decor. Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365Blueskies View Post
I believe the tax changes over in the spring. They needed almost 2 years to undue the tax I am going to wait to sign up until the next offer. I am not into the halloween decor. Thanks for answering my questions.
This offer has now been extended until mid-September.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member

Question

So the Halloween Tray is going to be carried over into Sept. 2012?

If one joined in Sept. What other types of incentives would they get?

I'm sitting on the fence right now...and I'm thinking about falling off and joining Stampin' Up!

After looking through my catalogs lastnight. I got excited again about stamping.

Tell me more....
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanstamping2 View Post

I'm sitting on the fence right now...and I'm thinking about falling off and joining Stampin' Up!

After looking through my catalogs lastnight. I got excited again about stamping.

Tell me more....
The biggest incentive, in my opinion, is the fact that you get to customize your Starter Kit.
You get to choose $125 in product ($155 in Canada) for only $99 ($125 in Canada). That's a big shot. And then some.

The only other incentive that we know of is the extension of the printer trays.
Janet Wakeland has several examples on her blog of altering them ... here's a cute "dog" version:
Doggone Cute Artist Tray Insert for Stampin’ UP! August FREE Artist Tray! | RemARKable Creations

IF you are thinking of joining, there really isn't a "best" time. The best time for you is when you have a wish list, and want to get it cheaper!
The longer you wait, the more you'll spend without the discount ...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

There is an advantage to signing up at the beginning of a quarter. If you sign up on, say Sept. 1, you don't have to make the minimum in this quarter which ends on Sept. 30, so you have to make your $300 minimum by Dec. 31. If you wait until Oct. 1 - the beginning of the next quarter, you don't have to make the minimum until March 31 - six months instead of a little over three.

Just something to think about....
Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanstamping2 View Post

There's a free ribbon promotion in September for every $40 spent (more info to be shared 9/1). This wouldn't count on your starter kit order, but if you were to follow up with another order (where you get 30% off an order of $150+), you could earn some ribbon while making progress on your wishlist and reaching your minimum. If you sign up, you can promote the ribbon deal and get a workshop booked or friends to go in on a combined order to help your sales too (meaning your 30% would count on all the products people are ordering to get free ribbon)...they could start working on wishlists while your starter kit is in the mail.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
There is an advantage to signing up at the beginning of a quarter. If you sign up on, say Sept. 1, you don't have to make the minimum in this quarter which ends on Sept. 30, so you have to make your $300 minimum by Dec. 31. If you wait until Oct. 1 - the beginning of the next quarter, you don't have to make the minimum until March 31 - six months instead of a little over three.

Cathy's right.
So ... do you sign up before mid-Sept and get the tray and stuff ... or wait until Oct 1 and have more time to meet your minimum.

It's like buying a computer ... there's always going to be something else coming along later. Whether it's better or not depends on what you need and want.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

Question A few more questions

Thanks to Cathy W. for clarifying the quarterly countdown, and to Gail for several helpful responses. As Gail said, there is always something new coming later, but I'm trying to schedule signing-up so the timing is best for me. I have a few more questions:
-- How quickly after placing the initial sign-up order can you place the follow-up 30% off a minimum ($150 in US, $200 in Canada) order?
-- Does the demo earn hostess benefits on the full value of the order, or only earn hostess benefits when the discounted value of the order reaches the minimum for hostess benefits?
-- The Holiday catalog ends January 2, 2013. When will the next "not-so-mini" begin and when will the demonstrators be able to preview and order items from it?
-- Has anyone heard any "if" or "when" details for Sale-a-Bration 2013?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for all the great information. I might just have to wait till Oct. to join.

Extra money is what I need right now in order to join up!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post

Oct. 1st sounds like a great time to sign on....but you won't get the tray.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice in Md View Post
Thanks to Cathy W. for clarifying the quarterly countdown, and to Gail for several helpful responses. As Gail said, there is always something new coming later, but I'm trying to schedule signing-up so the timing is best for me. I have a few more questions:
-- How quickly after placing the initial sign-up order can you place the follow-up 30% off a minimum ($150 in US, $200 in Canada) order? I signed up online and was emailed my demo number and temporary password right away. I don't see anything that would stop you from placing that first order that same day.
-- Does the demo earn hostess benefits on the full value of the order, or only earn hostess benefits when the discounted value of the order reaches the minimum for hostess benefits? You earn benefits on the catalog price of the merchandise before tax and shipping. So full value before the demo 20%.
-- The Holiday catalog ends January 2, 2013. When will the next "not-so-mini" begin and when will the demonstrators be able to preview and order items from it? I believe the demo preview is in December. Yes, we can preorder in December and the Spring catalog sales period starts in January.
-- Has anyone heard any "if" or "when" details for Sale-a-Bration 2013? Nope.
My answers are in red.

Last edited by vz5dzh; 08-31-2012 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Adding info