Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Separating Sentiment Stamps?

Hi and Happy 4th!
I've noticed that I forget about the words and sentiment stamps that are part of a package that includes images. I'm wondering if any of you keep the sentiments/word stamps organized separately from the images? If you do, any thoughts on how to best organize since one might have various types of stamps and mounts?

Until now, I've kept all my stamps in their original packaging, but that won't work if I start breaking them up. The danger is that if I ever decide to part with some, i'm sure i'll forget which words go with which image to make a full set! I also thought of just stamping the words on cardstock, writing which set it belongs to and putting them in a 3-ring binder. For sets of sentiments it would be easy to just insert the package into a 3-ring translucent file keeper.

Just asking and thanks for the ideas.
mob
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my sets together and often wonder if I need to keep a book of all the sentiments I have. I have so many stamp sets I often forget whether I have a sentiment or not and ALWAYS have stamps that are long lost and forgotten.

My concern is pretty much the same as yours. I hate to think I'd mess up a set because I separated stamps from it. I've seen so many SU sets for sale that are missing one or two stamps and I don't want that to happen for me!!!

I'm cleaning/organizing my stamping room so I think I'll put this idea on my list of to-do's! Thanks for bringing the topic up!!! I'd like to do this with my diecuts and embossing folders too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, I was JUST talking about this in a different thread!! I have taken some of my sentiments out and put them together in one place...the To/From ones. I hate having to weed through sets to find them...don't want all of my tags to have the same To/From on them ;) so I have put them all together.

Funny, kerbear, I have seen sets that were incomplete as well but on the other side of that coin, I have seen sets that are "collections" of flowers or hearts or what have you, ones that have been taken from different sets and put together...and I have bought them for that very reason!! Guess it just depends on what someone is looking for
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I've decided to do something like this to keep track of all my sentiment stamps as I cannot stand to separate any of my sets and I keep all my stamps in binders grouped by stamp company. I have a hard time remembering what sentiments I have. Gretchen Barron: Never Again at a Loss for Words!

I found this idea on Pinterest.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a stamp index with a scan of each set I own. Most of my stamps I have unmounted and stored in CD cases, but I do still have some on wood. I keep large binders with the scans in photo pocket pages. I have the pages organized by categories such as celebrations, which includes birthdays, graduation, new baby, etc. If the stamp set would fit in two categories, such as celebrations and floral, I put a scan in each section. I have a small note card with each scan that lists the company name, how many stamps are in the set, where it is stored if not in a CD case and any notes I might want to remember about the set.

If the set contains a sentiment I will see it when I am looking through my index. I then take it one step further and make a scan that I cut out any sentiments that a set contains and file them in a sentiments section of my binder. I have around 28 different categories of sentiments. When I set up my system I tried to think of anything that I might have a sentiment for, and basically this is working very well for me. Each page of my sentiment binder has as many sentiments as I can fit on the page and lists the name of the set that it comes from. I have pages in some sentiment sections, and only one page with just a few sentiments in some sections.

There are many reasons I like this system so much. First all of my sets can be stored as sets, regardless of what the set contains. Because I have scanned each of the sets they are the actual size of the stamp. That comes in so handy when I am trying to figure out if a stamp will fit on a cut-out shape, or work well with a stamp from another set. Also, I do not have to stamp out every single stamp as I purchase a new set. I simply scan and place it in the proper sections of my binders. If there is something unique I want to remember about a stamp set, that information is all right there in my binder. I also have a quick reminder of where the stamp is stored, should I forget. My daughters also use my stamps and they can take a binder and see what I have quickly and easily. If I ever get rid of a set I could simply remove the scans from my binder, without the need to redo my index. I find paging through my binder very inspiring and often times I see another set that works better than the one I had in mind when I originally planned my project.

I have a gazillion stamps and this system keeps me sane. It takes a little time to set up the system, but very little time to maintain. I also have saved each scan to my computer, which can be handy for insurance purposes or if I want to quickly find a certain stamp set by name. I also have a binder
with my die-cuts and embossing folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy LittlerView Post
Gretchen Barron: Never Again at a Loss for Words!

I found this idea on Pinterest.

Cindy
Love that idea for the sentiments that will fit inside those shapes!! How clever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Love that idea for the sentiments that will fit inside those shapes!! How clever!
I plan on using something a little bigger to accomodate my larger sentiments. The sentiments seem to be the one category I have trouble remembering what I have.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Annie, would it be too much of a pain to ask what your 28 sentiment categories are? Thank you so much!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

It is no problem at all, Karen. This is my list:

1. Birthday, Gifts, To/From
2. You're Invited
3. Thank You
4. Graduation, Congrats, Celebrate
5. Baby, Kids
6. Anniversary
7. Love, Wedding, Valentine, Family
8. Friendship, Hello, Smiles & Happiness
9. Inspiration, Quotes, Words of Encouragement
10. Thinking of You, Sympathy, Get Well
11. Art, Handstamped, Made by/With Love
12. Angels
13. Food & Beverage
14. Fashion
15. Garden, Nature, Gnomes
16. Music
17. Nautical
18. Sports, Masculine
19. Travel, Time, Vintage
20. New Year
21. St. Pats
22. Easter, Spring
23. Mother's Day
24. Father's Day
25. 4th of July, Patriotic, Summer
26. Halloween
27. Thanksgiving, Fall
28. Christmas, Winter

Hope this gives you some ideas for your list. I can always find a place for my sentiments. For awhile I struggled a little bit with "for you" but I just put them all in the birthday section now and that works well. I probably could have put anniversary in with love and wedding. I am glad to have put Valentine in love, rather than the more seasonal section, because it just seems to fit there. Some sentiments could go in more than one section, just like some of my stamps are filed in more than one category. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Annie, wow, Ty so much for typing all that out and explaining it. When I indexed my stamps, I just put all my sentiments together and I have too many for that to work now. Ty, I think ill try to separate them.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Several years ago I separated out most of my sentiments and grouped them in large clam shell boxes by category, such as birthday (I must have 5 boxes for this!), thank you, sympathy, thinking of you, love/anniversary/valentines, inspirational and religious, misc. holiday greetings, etc. I keep all of these in an iris cart right next to my desk so that I can easily reach for/look for the sentiment I want. If I have a set that I absolutely don't want to break up (perhaps because the font goes so well with the other images), I stamp a picture of it on a small strip of cs and write the name of the set; this then goes into the appropriate greeting box. I have found that this system results in much less time searching for "just the right" sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have all my stamps in ring binders, I unmounted all my wood too. The sentiments are split into type, Thank You, Happy Birthday, etc. I stamped each stamp onto copy paper, which goes into a page protector. I also stamped all my stamps onto A5 sheets, wh ich are in small binders, that I can just flick through. Again, split into subjects.
One thing you could do, to keep track of what stamps should be in each set:
I did Google Image searches for various sets/plates I have, downloaded the image & store them in a folder, by company, on my PC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have pulled out all of my sentiments from my sets and keep them together. Before I remove a stamp from a set I first stamp it on a peice of card stock and put it in place of the stamp. That way I know what stamp belongs there. At least half of my sets are SU wood mount and are still in the clam shell box. This has been working for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaduckView Post
I have pulled out all of my sentiments from my sets and keep them together. Before I remove a stamp from a set I first stamp it on a peice of card stock and put it in place of the stamp. That way I know what stamp belongs there..
I've considered doing this, too. I am glad to hear it is working well for you. I just might take the plunge some day.
Reply With Quote Likes