Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Repurposing Baby Food Jars

Good morning!

I thought I could repurpose some baby food jars (some from spices, one that contained chocolate topping...) from when I had my teeth extracted to hold buttons or other craft supplies. The problem - despite being run through the dishwasher multiple times and soaking in soapy water for hours - they still smell like their original contents. I think it might be the lids? I don't want my buttons smelling like baby peaches, LOL.

Any thoughts anyone? Have anyone else successfully repurposed baby food jars r other glass containers with lids?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Happy Weekend!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey Crafty Math,

How about if you try soaking them in a solution of vinegar and water - it might work. I'd use about a cup of vinegar (white or cider) to about a 1/2 sink full of water.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crafty Math Chick.....As Post #2 says, soak in vinegar (white), but first take out the inner part of the lids. They are usually a soft material of some sort. You may need to scrap or carefully cut it out. That would be the part that would hold the smell.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Ohhh, didn't know that inner part of the lid even could be removed! Thanks!

Afterwards, will they smell like vinegar instead of baby food or spices or chocolate? I am really striving for unscented here, LOL.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 05:30 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a baby food jar carosol/lazy susan. It is perfect for holding buttons! I have mine all seperated by color. They also hold all kinds of embellishments! Love repurposing baby food jars. My jars were so old the smell had finally worn out of them, but just before I used them for my crafts, I ran them through the dishwasher again. The lids I had in a drawer and didn't use for years. (hoarder)? LOL! But now they are put to good use.

Vinegar is strong smelling at first, but then if fades away rather quickly and leaves a no-scent smell and is very clean! I am falling in love with Vinegar all over again for many purposes. It also gets rid of ants!! This spring I had those tiny ants come in from somewhere by my kitchen window. I went to a website and at www.thefrugallife.com I found an excellent no-chemical way to get rid of ants! Spray a solution of vinegar and water along the counter edges and window edges--the vinegar does something to the ants "radar system" the instinct they have to go back and forth from their food source to their ant homes. They get lost. Then they don't come back!

Anyway vinegar is a great way to get rid of odors!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I know you can stuff smelly sneakers with newspaper to get rid of the odor, I wonder if if stuffing the jars would work as well?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Hmmmm... I peeled the liner out of one of the baby food jars - this also removed the ridges needed to secure the top in place, so when I turned the jar upside down, the lid just fell right off. Not good for storage. :(

My husband says to just recycle the glass on base and buy new bottles (but then I am throwing out the lids, I can't recycle them on base, and I hve noidea where to purchase empty small bottles nearby).

I will go out and get some white vinegar and try half the bottles & lids that way and the other half with Val's newspaper and see which works. I wonder how long you have to soak or stuff to get the scent out? Ideas ladies?

Last edited by Crafty Math Chick; 04-25-2009 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: spelling - oops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I second the newspaper idea. During one of our cross-country moves, we stuffed our empty refrigerator with newspaper before putting it on the moving truck. It took us 3 days for the move, and when we got there, and put the fridge in the house, it didn't smell like they usually do after sitting empty for a few days. So it does work. The other thing you can do (but it costs more) is to use vanilla (the real stuff). It will not only remove the offensive odor, but make your jars smell really good. Just put a tablespoon in the bottom of each jar and put the lid on and leave it for a couple of days. Then rinse and let dry. I reuse canning jars to hold ribbon and such in my craft room, and eventually the smell does go away. But really, I enjoyed the smell of strawberry jam every time I opened the jar. I guess I'm just weird. LOL

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Would soaking the jars & lids with a solution of baking soda and water work? I always keep a box of baking soda in the refrig. I also put a box in the microwave so my microwave oven never smells like popcorn or whatever food was heated in it. (My daughter laughs at me but it works!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Crafty Math Chick....If you take a small paring knife you can remove just the inner part of the lid (flat part) without removing the screw part on the sides.

Before going the above route, just try soaking the lids in vinegar. Then wash the lids in the dishwasher to get rid of residual vinegar odor.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Another vote for baking soda, it seems to help me with household odors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I just pulled them out of the water- they still smell like baby food. I soaked them in a sink full of water with 2 cups of vinegar. :(

Guess I can give the newspaper a try when they are dry.

Maybe I should just recycle the glass and buy new containers. These aren't even all the same size, they don't match or anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Time is the best factor in this. Eventually that smell will go away! I haven't noticed a baby food smell in my jars, but my jars are old. When I store old jars, I always keep the lids separate because of the smell factor. That includes canning jars, pretty olive oil jars and all repurposed jars. Have patience the smell will go away! Try the dishwasher again, and dry lids in the sun. If that doesn't work then try that newspaper trick. Good Luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

my jars are not that old and i have not noticed any odors. after you wash the lids, leave them off the jar for awhile, until they are completely dry. and put them somewhere so they won't hold moisture....lay them flat in the dish rack until they're dry. hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #15  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Baking soda? I've used it EVERY WHERE! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #16  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

BTW...Have you tried those new plastic baby food containers? They have a cool snap on lid! LOVE them, especially for BRADS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
BTW...Have you tried those new plastic baby food containers? They have a cool snap on lid! LOVE them, especially for BRADS!
Those are so awesome! I had my SIL save quite a few of them for me. They are also great for beads and buttons. I've also used them as a disposable container when using paint on something - if I need to take a break before done, I don't worry about spills because the lids snaps on securely, and I don't feel guilty about throwing it away when I'm done.

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Okay, now they are stuffed with newspaper with the lids on. I will leave them that way for... 3 days?... then run them through the dishwasher again and hopefully they will be fragrance free!

Anyone know a good way to get the glue off the glass? Goo Gone? Is it easy to use?

I was going to put labels around them but I would rather be able to see all the pretty buttons in the jar for easy identification, and there are glue glob on the sides here and there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Use acetone or alcohol to remove glue from glass. Don't know how I would craft without a bottle of nail polish remover on my desk. I use it on my scissors when they get sticky from cutting out rubber stamps. Also for removing the adhesive from lables.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Here is how I clean any stubborn smelling jar/lid since I use these all of the time for sewing supplies as well as papercrafting supplies. I have a plastic coffee can that I have almost straight vinegar in. Then I soak the jar and the lid with the lid on the coffee can for several days. Don't toss the vinegar. I just put the lid on the coffee can and store it in the laundry room until the next time. I then run them through the dishwasher and that removes all the vinegar smell. There have been times that some of the lids (particularly spag sauce lids) will still have a smell. So then I put a bunch of lids in the vinegar tub together for several more days. Another cool tip is to use a nail sanding block to sand the paint of the lid. You end up with a really neat brushed metal lid. The goo gone will take adhesive off very easily. I wash the jar with hot soapy water and then run it through the dishwasher and that gets rid of the goo gone residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Sadly, the crumpled newspaper did not work. I am shocked if it works for smelly sneakers and refridgerators! I left it in there for 4 days I think.

I used Goo Gone to get the glue gobs off (worked like a charm, but used up the whole bottle, it was tiny). Now I just have to decide if I am going to use them or throw the lids away and recycle the glass. I don't mind my buttons smelling like Smucker's chocolate topping, but baby peaches? IDK...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Sigh, I just went to open one of the bottles to get a buttonfor a card and they all REEK of baby food - phooey! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Default ANY new ideas?

Hello again,

Now I am trying not only to still salvage these baby food jars, but some Ball mason jars that used to have spaghetti sauce in them and some salsa jars as well - I like that they have fat, wide mouths at the top and it is easier to pour things out of them (and put them back in). But STILL no luck with removing the original food smell from the lids! I have tried...

-Dishwasher
-Soaking in vinegar
-Crumpled up newspaper
-Oxy clean

all to no avail. I am afraid to try bleach because I am a clutz and fear I will spill it all over and ruin yet more of my clothing.

ANYONE have a new suggestion? I REALLY like those salsa jars and spaghetti jars but the smell REALLY sticks to those lids - and they have been through the dishwasher once followed by two Oxy Clean soakings.

Anyone? (she asks hopefully)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I am wondering if you have a really good nose or are smelly them extremely closely. I put my lids through the dishwasher and just never noticed an odor. But then, I do not pick them up and sniff. I just hope they are sanitized and think they are as good as they are going to get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
I am wondering if you have a really good nose or are smelly them extremely closely. I put my lids through the dishwasher and just never noticed an odor. But then, I do not pick them up and sniff. I just hope they are sanitized and think they are as good as they are going to get.
I am smelling them closely, LOL. Because when I put the baby food lids back on the jars with buttons inside - all the buttons smelled like baby food when I went to use them. NOT what I want in a button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Oh my, I have no idea how to get the smell out but wanted to thank you for the great chuckle I got from all this! (I know, I'm weird...) You gave me a case of the giggles here. Good luck with your jars!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I use baby food jars for buttons too and don't have a problem.

I ran them through the dishwasher, soaked them, and then let them air dry for like a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #28  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually I would suggest vinegar and/or newspaper but they haven't worked for you. My only other idea (but I have not tried it) is to fill up the jars with baking soda (the one often put in refrigerators to absorb odors) and tightly close the lid. Leave it for as long as possible and hope it works.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What if you set them out in the sun for 3 or 4 days, direct sun??

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

http://www.thelosthaven.co.uk/BSoda.htm

hope this helps xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Default The Ongoing Saga...

...Okay, althought baby food jar lids were not specifically mentioned in the list Jody was kind enough to provide (LOL), I turned each lid upside down and sprinkled baking soda into each one. I wonder how long I am supposed to let it sit there?

Hoping this works, I really like these jars and have put so much work into them already...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
What if you set them out in the sun for 3 or 4 days, direct sun??
Well, considering the off the charts pollen we are having this time of year, I really don't want to try this right now. Maybe I can try it in the fall if I have more jar lids? Thanks though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Just thought I would toss in my two cents...

In my experience, the only way to get rid of the remaining odor in the seal on the lids of all these jars is to wash them thoroughly (dishwasher is fine) and then leave the lids OFF for some time. Eventually the smell disappears and it may take weeks. But anything that you try with the lids ON will never remove the odor because you have the majority of the seal trapped against the jar and the smell just will never go away, or be absorbed by whatever you try.

The glass is impervious to odors so put the clean jars aside somewhere safe and put the lids in the open air and let them sit...and be patient. It doesn't happen quickly.

Then I must say that there are a small amount of odors that just never come out of the seal, and there are some seals that absorb odors more readily. So some of those lids may never lose the smell.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Just thought I would toss in my two cents...

In my experience, the only way to get rid of the remaining odor in the seal on the lids of all these jars is to wash them thoroughly (dishwasher is fine) and then leave the lids OFF for some time. Eventually the smell disappears and it may take weeks. But anything that you try with the lids ON will never remove the odor because you have the majority of the seal trapped against the jar and the smell just will never go away, or be absorbed by whatever you try.

The glass is impervious to odors so put the clean jars aside somewhere safe and put the lids in the open air and let them sit...and be patient. It doesn't happen quickly.

Then I must say that there are a small amount of odors that just never come out of the seal, and there are some seals that absorb odors more readily. So some of those lids may never lose the smell.
Thanks for the input Diane - the baby food jar lids have been off for months, still smell like baby food. The spaghetti sauce and salsa ones are relatively new... IDK... they are upside down on the counter filled with baking soda, I am hoping it will work. I don't want salsa or tomato sauce scented buttons. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

I wonder if using scented oil would work?....

...I wonder where I would purchase scented oil these days?...

...I used to see them in a mall store called 'The Body Shop' years and years ago, haven't seen one of those in ages and don't live near a mall with one...

Hmmm...

I sniffed the baking soda lids - several salsa and spaghetti sauce ones still smell pretty strongly. Sigh... :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

I would so just buy new jars/containers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Try sitting them in the sun for a bit. Should help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

I have NO idea if this would work? I love it though! Smells kind of like baby powder. May take a few rounds of it to get the smell out, but it seems like you've tried everything else. I suppose you could use it stronger instead of diluted?

BTW - I am not a consultant, just love the product.

http://norwex.com/productdetail.php?...=&lng=7&cnt=38
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartwigView Post
I have NO idea if this would work? I love it though! Smells kind of like baby powder. May take a few rounds of it to get the smell out, but it seems like you've tried everything else. I suppose you could use it stronger instead of diluted?

BTW - I am not a consultant, just love the product.

http://norwex.com/productdetail.php?...=&lng=7&cnt=38
Interesting! Thanks for the suggestion. Today I purchased some gardenia scented oil when I was at Tuesday morning (it looked like the most concentrated scent - I wanted lavendar or jasmine or lemongrass, but this is fine). If it does not work maybe I will give this a try.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Math ChickView Post
Interesting! Thanks for the suggestion. Today I purchased some gardenia scented oil when I was at Tuesday morning (it looked like the most concentrated scent - I wanted lavendar or jasmine or lemongrass, but this is fine). If it does not work maybe I will give this a try.

Thanks!
I read about the oil earlier - my one concern would be about it getting on your ribbon and staining it, or getting droplets on buttons then onto your cardstock (or whatever you're embellishing).

I assume you would have to clean them really well afterwards?
Reply With Quote Likes