Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Redoing Craft Room??

Just wanted to know how everyone decides what furniture that they are going to use in there rooms?? I have bought some things and now want to change my mind, I can't keep buying new furniture, DH would kill me. Any insight on this would be a great help

Sherry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I just redid my room and it is great! I took a long time to decide what I wanted. My suggestion would be to look at all the room pictures here on splitcoast and see what appeals to you, what will fit in your space and what you have to store. I used kitchen cabinets from Ikea and tweaked it to my needs. I will post pictures soon in hopes of inspiring others as I have been inspired. Another thing that I did was to sit in the middle of the room and try to imagine what I would be using at my "seat" and work what I needed into that image. Good Luck to you!
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

I'd say figure out what you need when you are working, and then plan around that. I notice that a lot of people plan around their storage, not their work surface. They focus on baskets, bins, racks, shelving units, hooks, rods and so on. There is a display aspect to their storage. This works for them and how they design/create.

Me, I like to have a nice, big, clear, flat surface where I can work, so that's what I focused on. I have two huge, heavy wooden topped tables. They are the focus of the room. I want to have my tools close at hand. I don't need to have supplies close at hand. I want supplies sorted and stored so I can get to them, but I don't need them at my fingertips. I don't need my supplies on display. My work space is a work space first and a storage space second. That's my choice and my priority, so that's how I planned my space.

The graphic at the top of my blog is my work space.

My Other Hobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I had the good fortune to plan and build a new craft room in an addition to our house. I took a long time to tweak it down to the very last detail and learned a lot of good things.

First of all, you need to decide what you want. My priority was to have a large, flat work table (I actually have two tables put together) with everthing that I use a lot in my "work triangle" just like they plan in kitchens. I then used Craft Maid cabinets around me for storage. My priority for storage was easy access, a place for everything and easy space so it is not a pain in the neck to put away. I am not into pretty baskets and such. My space is very plain and utilitarian. Not at all the nicest looking but probably one of the most functional.

So I would prioritize what you want and need and then try to plan it out from there. There are so many incredible and beautiful spaces on this site (mine is NOT beautiful but I LOVE it) so look as much as you can and write down the ideas you like the most. Maybe that will help with your priority list.

By the way, IKEA has great tables. Both of mine are from there. Nice hard surface for stamping and easy to clean. One of them is a folding table with adjustable legs so I can carry it into the dining room and adjust it to the height of the dining table when needed. Highly recommend them. The second one has stationary legs but they match for the tops are both the same.

Here is links to some of my photos. Let me know if you have any questions. And yes, I have decorated my space a bit since these were taken!

dacpam's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Default Craft Room

I am redoing mine also. Lately I have been trying to tie everything together. I can't afford to buy new so I have been painting many things and putting like paper or fabric on things that will show. I like old things and am a fan of some of the stuff from Somerset. While I think they go overboard sometimes, and are often for someone of unlimited budget, I do get some cool ideas from them. My theme is black and toile. I have used black paint and redone some cabinets and small plastic drawer chests. (Yes you can paint plastic with some of the new paints that are out!) My chair that I use is comfortable and practical - naturally it stays. I have used cheap cabinets and suspended hollow core doors over them with my black rolling carts below. Soon I will be making my curtains to cover the openings. I also am using an old gate, yes a gate!, above my main desk and I am attaching things I am using and notes I need to see. When I am at a point where the real world can get a glimpse of what I am in the process of trying to do I will try to post some pictures. I hope that this helps. Lots of luck, Papercrafter4516
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacpamView Post
I had the good fortune to plan and build a new craft room in an addition to our house. I took a long time to tweak it down to the very last detail and learned a lot of good things.

First of all, you need to decide what you want. My priority was to have a large, flat work table (I actually have two tables put together) with everthing that I use a lot in my "work triangle" just like they plan in kitchens. I then used Craft Maid cabinets around me for storage. My priority for storage was easy access, a place for everything and easy space so it is not a pain in the neck to put away. I am not into pretty baskets and such. My space is very plain and utilitarian. Not at all the nicest looking but probably one of the most functional.

So I would prioritize what you want and need and then try to plan it out from there. There are so many incredible and beautiful spaces on this site (mine is NOT beautiful but I LOVE it) so look as much as you can and write down the ideas you like the most. Maybe that will help with your priority list.

By the way, IKEA has great tables. Both of mine are from there. Nice hard surface for stamping and easy to clean. One of them is a folding table with adjustable legs so I can carry it into the dining room and adjust it to the height of the dining table when needed. Highly recommend them. The second one has stationary legs but they match for the tops are both the same.

Here is links to some of my photos. Let me know if you have any questions. And yes, I have decorated my space a bit since these were taken!

Good luck!
I just tried your links and got 'there are no pictures in this gallery' (or something like that!)... Please try again, I would love to see your creative space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Here we go again. I clicked on it and it went through but you never know!

The very last photo (page 3 bottom right corner) is the only full shot of the room. I am not very good about taking pictures so my apologies.

Hope this works! And by the way, my room is NOT beautiful but VERY functional! There are a ton of other rooms that make me drool but I really went for ease of use and having a place for everything. I love things put away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have searched and searched for months. I went through all the SCS stamp room uploads and thought I wanted a specific set up but ended up with something completely different. I went with Ikea free standing kitchen islands and upper cabinets. I just need one more piece that is on back order but it's almost done. I love these pieces. It was easy to buy, take home, build and put in place. I hope to have a before and after on my blog in the next couple of months or so -----it might take me that long just to get everything put away in it's new home. ;)

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

The very last photo (page 3 bottom right corner) is the only full shot of the room. I am not very good about taking pictures so my apologies.

Hope this works! And by the way, my room is NOT beautiful but VERY functional! There are a ton of other rooms that make me drool but I really went for ease of use and having a place for everything. I love things put away![/QUOTE]

Clicked on the link and I get this error

Sorry, there are no photos for this criteria,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I am in the process of packing away my craft corner (in my Master bedroom - we have this little cutout space that I use...) because we are getting the room painted and new windows put in...I am going to be putting it back together with new things...

A few things I personally have looked at

Ikea
Akurm Cabinets - high cabinet with shelves and 2 base cabinets along one wall for storage... only drawback is they are 24" deep and it might be too deep for my space - plus I would need to get some sort of table top

Pax System - a little more than I want to spend...

Also Home Depot has a line of Closetmaid melemine laminate items (I can't find them on the HD website nor can I find them specifically on the Closetmaid site - but if you go to your local HD you should be able to see them) - anyway they have wardrobes/storage units that come in a variety of widths but are about 16" deep...they also have base cabinets and base drawers...all about 16" deep you can sort of see them here -Closetmaid

I have a feeling I will be going with the HD closetmaid storage - since it will be the most affordable and the most flexible...

Across the other wall i will probably be making my own table - get some adjustable table legs and a large piece of laminate MDF board - that way I can fit the table to the space I have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

dacpam,

I am leaning big time towards the KraftMaid cabinets. Question: Do your corner cabinets have 'lazy susans'?

Thanks,
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Hi Amy,

Yes they do have lazy susan's in them. I think that they come with standard plastic turn trays inside and at the advice of the man I worked with at Loew's, I upgraded to the wood trays. It was a good call and if budget permits, I would highly reccomend. They hold a lot of weight and turn very smoothly and solidly.

I am very happy with all the Kraft Maid cabinets. To save money, I used a cheaper brand in the connecting laundry area. They match perfectly but are not as well made as KM. That brand did not have a good selection of specialty cabinets that I needed (or wanted!) such as the craft cabinet or the pantry cabinet so did not consider them for the craft room. One of the things I was not able to do was get cabinet storage for 12x12 paper. The pot drawers with all my papers do not fit that size vertically. Those papers are stored in my closet in plastic rolling bins so it is not really a problem. It may have been a problem if I did not have that closet though.

Please feel free to ask anything at all about the cabinets. I LOVE THEM! I am able to keep everything stored easily and within reach and that was my goal. It was a long but very enjoyable process to plan it all out.

Good luck!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Pam!!! I still love your craft room like nobody's business however the Kraft Maid didn't work out so well for me here at the Home Depot in Canada. There were not too accomodating and refused to install them on top of the carpet in our basement and I refused to cut out brand new beautiful carpet. It's not like I was installing granite on top that needed perfect balancing.

You were so great for answering all my questions and helping me a few months ago. Thank you for that!! I still am sad I never got that shallow drawer storage unit but I did find one at Ikea that does the trick.

The basement is done and I will be sure to send you pics when the storage is done. I am so close! Thanks again Pam.

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Hi Charlene,

I am so excited to see your new craft room! Please post photos and let me know when they are up so I can enjoy it with you. It is so exciting. I am very sorry that Home Depot was not accomodating. I went there first and then wound up at Loew's and worked with the most incredible and very patient man ever. It made the project so much better.

I just can't wait to see what you did! Hurry and finish!

Thanks for letting me know,

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaView Post
I just redid my room and it is great! I took a long time to decide what I wanted. My suggestion would be to look at all the room pictures here on splitcoast and see what appeals to you, what will fit in your space and what you have to store. I used kitchen cabinets from Ikea and tweaked it to my needs. I will post pictures soon in hopes of inspiring others as I have been inspired. Another thing that I did was to sit in the middle of the room and try to imagine what I would be using at my "seat" and work what I needed into that image. Good Luck to you!
Linda
and yes her room IS THE BOMB!!!!!!

I want to play in her room!!!
Reply With Quote Likes