Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-mounting stamps???

Has anyone decided to remount their cling stamps back onto wood blocks? I have a bunch I took off and mounted with cling and now I want them back on wood so I can try and sell them. If you have done this, or have been thinking about it.... can you tell me what kind of glue you have used??? Is it something I can get a M's or J's??? Thanks!

Kristi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Rubber cement would probably work well. But, why not try selling them unmounted first?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #3  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

I agree a lot more people are going unmounted give it a shot and then try to remount if you have to
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I see it, if you need to sell your stamps for some reason, you may as well sell them un-mounted. To re-mount and sell, you have to list them that way which will diminish the value of them anyway. So your efforts of re-mounting are wasted.

I've un-mounted all my stamps, but see no reason I would ever need to sell them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess it depends on if you unmounted them right down to just rubber or if you left the foam on? (I don't use cling, so I don't really have a clear idea of how they look now.)

Do you still have the original wood? If not, and you wind up having to purchase both foam and wood blocks, you might as well just advertise them as unmounted on cling and make life easier. I don't see how you'll make back the money you spend on wood and foam to re-mount them...

A lot of people LOVE cling-mounted stamps. Many, in fact, will decide NOT to buy stamps simply because they are on wood....I'd say make life easy for yourself and try to sell them as-is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the replies. I thought about selling some of them unmounted but from what I've read here, they get more $ if they are wood mounted. I do still have all the wooden blocks. I kept them in the garage. I may try to sell some of them unmounted but some of them I want back on the blocks. I have WAY too many stamps that I know I'll never use. I don't stamp that often. I'm just trying to clear out some room in my stamp case. Thanks for the replies.

Kristi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

What about that 2 part epoxy stuff? That stuff holds anything! I don't remember what it's called but it comes in a double tube and when you squeeze glue comes out of two holes. You mix them together and it's super strong!

I haven't unmounted my stamps yet, but I've been planing on doing it the same way you've done, keeping the blocks and all that, and then just gluing the cling back to the wood block (when and if I ever get around it;)). I definitely see where your coming from as far as the value. UM stamps are like half the price. You'd be losing a lot of your money if you sold them that way.

Patti, I don't see how gluing them back diminishes the value though? Maybe I'm missing something, but your pretty much just putting the back in their original form. The only difference is that it would be cling foam glued to the block instead of the self adhesive foam that they come on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEmilyView Post
What about that 2 part epoxy stuff? That stuff holds anything! I don't remember what it's called but it comes in a double tube and when you squeeze glue comes out of two holes. You mix them together and it's super strong!
This sounds like a really bad idea, actually. Epoxy is rigid when it dries, and if I'm not mistaken it will eventually harden the foam backing layer and ruin the stamp. Rubber cement is much better for re-adhering stamps, and actually can have a practically permanent bond if you allow the cement to dry slightly until the surface is tacky to the touch before sticking the two surfaces together.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think you should try selling them as unmounted. I have unmounted most of my stamps and try not to buy any that are wood mounted since I will only unmount them as soon as I get them. I won't pay more for wood mounted so I don't agree that you get more if they are on wood unless they are the really rare sets like Wild Wild West.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If you are going to mount your stamps back on wood you would need to be sure the foam underneath is in good shape. There are places that sell mounting foam, but you would need to re-cut around the image on sticky foam. I think un-mounted sounds like a better deal for this situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the need to re-mount them, rubber cement is as close to the original sticky you can get retail.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Use crystal effects. It works really well. I have repairs some stamps using CE to adhere it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll bet mono multi would work well, and it has a spreader side. The glue also says flexible which would avoid any of the above mentioned issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
This sounds like a really bad idea, actually. Epoxy is rigid when it dries, and if I'm not mistaken it will eventually harden the foam backing layer and ruin the stamp. Rubber cement is much better for re-adhering stamps, and actually can have a practically permanent bond if you allow the cement to dry slightly until the surface is tacky to the touch before sticking the two surfaces together.
:oops: Whoops. I guess I didn't think about that.
Reply With Quote Likes