Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Questions for SU Demo's

I have been considering joining as a SU demo for about 6 months, seriously considering it for about a month. I tried to contact the demo closest to me and she never contacted me back, never answered my email, she finally sent me a small catalog about a month or so later but I never got to talk to her about joining. I have several questions.

1) What are the commitments to being a demo (how much do you have to sell per month etc.)

2) Is there a limit on order size?

3) How often do you have to place an order?

4) What is the range of shipping costs on the orders?

I really want to get started in this so that I can get more supplies for myself at a discount. I am not sure how well I would be able to sell these products in my area, but there isn't a demo in this area, so you never know, and I sure would like to try.

I would like to hear from all SU Demo's to see how well you like being a demo. Do you sell for profit or only for gaining the supplies you need and want? Tell me what your overall experience of being an SU Demo is? I am very interested in hearing as much as I can about this business and what you can gain from it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I have been a SU demo for the past 5 years and I still love it. I just wish I had an unlimited income to buy whatever I want, LOL!!

1. Committment = $300 a quarter

2. There is a limit as far as, you must place a $150 order to get Hostess Benefits and free merchandise. Other than that order as much or as little as you want.

3. You just need to order $300 a quarter. Doesn't matter if its in one order or 3 small orders.

4. $6.95 is minimum shipping charge after that its 10%. Not too bad but to me all shipping is kinda expensive lately due to gas prices, etc....

I have sold at a profit but you have to buy frugal and have a little restraint, which I am not good at!! LOL The best thing about being a SU demo is all the great friends I have made, whether they are customers or other demos.

Hope that answers your questions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I guess I am considered a hobby demo, I just sell to support my own habits, lol. I guess some other hard core demos will also answer this, but wanted to give my two cents worth.
I have been a demo for about a year and a half and love it!! I have had a few parties, but with my health problems, have not been able to have very many. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1. Minium sales is 300.00 per quarter.
2. As far as I know there is not a minimum or maxium order amount.
3. Not an time frame for your orders as long as you meet your minimum sales you can do it all in one order or several smaller orders.
4. Shipping costs are 6.95 for orders under 50.00 (I think) and 10% after that, usually your discount plays for your shipping and tax plus a little more.

Hopefully this helps you out, if you have anymore questions just let me know.

Jamie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I've been a demo about 5 1/2 years and still love it. I'm a "business" oriented demo (just did a 2 day expo this weekend). Your questions have been answered, but wanted to chime in to say that you should really interview your potential upline. I personally would be hesitant to sign up under someone that has not answered my emails. Most new demos want to at least be able to ask their upline some of the basic questions (although this site is great for that too, lol). If you haven't already, make sure to you to the demonstrator finder on www.stampinup.com and look at all 10 people listed. Or if having an upline that's close to you is not a requirement, do some browsing on this site. Maybe look at the gallery and contact a demo (most of us have something on our website or signature line to let you know we are demos) whose art you really like.

Other than that, I say "go for it". You really don't have anything to lose. And if you sign up before Oct. 11 you can choose one additional stamp set FREE (if you purchase the Standard Kit--there's some mini kits available now as well, but the Standard Kit is the better deal).

Good luck to you and your decision!! If you do sign up, make sure you join the "demo only" forum. You'll get a lot of good info there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I agree. Your upline doesn't have to be nearby, mine is clear across the country from me. For me this works. Prepare a list of questions for your potential upline to see if she will be a good fit for you and meet your needs.

I agree that the full kit is a much better deal than the special kit.

Good luck. Look at ALL the names that come up in the demonstrator locater now. Not everyone wants to be an upline or is capable of being one. So take a look at the list near you to see what will work for you.

I've only been a demo since the end of May. But I've been having fun and working my way up towards a business demo, one step at a time.

Good luck! Remember there are lots of resources on the SCS Demo side also as well as the demonstrator website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

you are free to meet a few demos before you decide who you want to sign under-that is your choice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm curious how it works having your upline not being local to you? Do you just not attend local events and do everything via email and phone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Correct...long distance uplines make it difficult to be able to attend any gatherings. Some uplines will be willing to send stuff to downline, usually by email, to help them get going. Personally, I would really recommend (strongly, lol!) you try some more to find a local demo, even if it's not as close as your backyard. Somebody in the next town or 30 minutes or more away from you, close enough that you still might be able to get together quarterly or monthly...

I just think that being able to get together with uplines and sidelines for training, swapping, classes, etc., can be so valuable. I'd hate to see anybody go without that, especially if you don't know a lot of stampers already.

Your questions have pretty much been answered, but I'd like to add a couple of clarifications, maybe...

Shipping is 10% OR $6.95, whichever is greater. So, from $1 up to $69.50, your shipping charge is $6.95. Over that, it's just 10% of your merchandise total, however large it is. Some states require SU to collect sales tax on shipping, which stinks, lol!

The minimum is $300 in merchandise sold in defined quarters. Remember, though, that it's $300 retail -- as a demonstrator that's the amount before taking your instant income. So it's really more like $240 once you factor in your instant income.

It's certainly a reasonable gamble to take, lol! The full kit is a very good buy; you get LOTS of stuff in it. The very worst that can happen if you can't manage the quarterly commitment is just that you get dropped as a demo. There's no penalty, they don't reposess your kit. It's a win-win!

On the other hand...you could do fantastic! Find one customer who wants to do a workshop and it could turn into a snowball effect...her friends introduce you to their friends...and you're off and running. Obviously it's not a guarantee....but it's certainly possible!

Please do a search to find more demos to interview. It's really worth another try. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by battlecrossgirlView Post
I would like to hear from all SU Demo's to see how well you like being a demo. Do you sell for profit or only for gaining the supplies you need and want? Tell me what your overall experience of being an SU Demo is? I am very interested in hearing as much as I can about this business and what you can gain from it.
Well, since everyone else seems to have answered your other questions, I thought I'd answer this last part.

I LOVE being a demo! There are so many perks! You can earn FREE merchandise, you can go to convention and regionals, there are goodies to buy, there are goodies to EARN, etc!

I sell for a profit, but I'm BAD about turning it around and getting more stuff! LOL

My overall experience - WONDERFUL! I don't think I've EVER had a BAD experience as a demo...

What can be gained - New friends (demos AND customers), a joy of stamping, a joy of teaching, girl time,....

We look forward to hearing your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnythngButJenniferView Post
I'm curious how it works having your upline not being local to you? Do you just not attend local events and do everything via email and phone?
That's exactly right! My demo is in another state (HI Amy!) and we talk through e-mail. My one downline actually lives across the street from me. We get together about once a month and talk, no formal meeting.... It depends on how involved you want your upline to be

I was signed up with MK before SU and I had a local upline and she "HIGHLY recommended" (frowned on if I didn't) going to meetings. I HATED giving up my time with my family to spend 2 hours with ladies I hardly knew singing songs and dancing :rolleyes: and talking about how "approproate/inappropriate" we were dressed. So I chose a long distance upline and it's worked out great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by canbenView Post
That's exactly right! My demo is in another state (HI Amy!) and we talk through e-mail. My one downline actually lives across the street from me. We get together about once a month and talk, no formal meeting.... It depends on how involved you want your upline to be

I was signed up with MK before SU and I had a local upline and she "HIGHLY recommended" (frowned on if I didn't) going to meetings. I HATED giving up my time with my family to spend 2 hours with ladies I hardly knew singing songs and dancing :rolleyes: and talking about how "approproate/inappropriate" we were dressed. So I chose a long distance upline and it's worked out great!
That's funny, who would want to go to meetings like that, LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I also love being a demo and I say try out a few more demos in your area---before deciding. I highly recommend getting a local demo(works for me, but I realize everyone is different) I love getting toghether with my up-up-line and all my sidelines---we have fun, laugh, make cards, drink wine, support each other's business, borrow things from each other---not sure how that would work long distance, but hey whatever works!

Keep using the demo locator and contact them, check out their websites, see what they have for classes and things, to see how active they are. If someone doesn't personally get in touch with you, not sure how much I would want to sign up under them. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I was signed up with MK before SU and I had a local upline and she "HIGHLY recommended" (frowned on if I didn't) going to meetings. I HATED giving up my time with my family to spend 2 hours with ladies I hardly knew singing songs and dancing :rolleyes: and talking about how "approproate/inappropriate" we were dressed. So I chose a long distance upline and it's worked out great![/quote]

I was also with MK and the meetings were eh but I hated the pressure to have a inventory all the time, I just couldn't afford it. Now that I am no longer involved I am throwing old product away.

I am going to be signing with SU before 10/11/08 and I am really looking forward to the perks of being a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Just jumping in to agree with everything that's been said already, especially the part encouraging any would be demos to interview their potential uplines. Find someone who will provide you with the type of support you need now and will be able to support you down the road if your focus changes either from hobby to business or vice versa.

Good luck to all the new demos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Another Question

How can I get the paperwork to look over? I would like to review all that I can and see the different things I have to choose from before deciding when to join.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 03:07 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just uploaded all the forms to our DOWNLOADS forum here:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

You can also see them (and a video) on your future upline's website (under join Stampin' Up!), or if she doesn't have a website, she should be able to give you the forms. She will need to mail the forms in time to be received by Oct 11 for the special promotion if she does not have a website. I hope that helps.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I found a lovely demo that I plan to sign up under on Oct 4 (gotta wait until the weekend to have time to do it LOL!).

I'm only doing it for the discount for myself. But I'll be happy to offer it to my friends and family as well. I spent $100/month just on quick trips to Michaels ACMoore and my local stamp store. So I can make my minimums myself.

I'm an engineer, so I analyzed it for months. I really couldn't see a "downside" to it. The starter kit has lots of things that I would have bought anyway. And if for some reason I can't keep up minimums, I'll just drop and will still have gotten the discount on what I bought up to that point.

Good luck deciding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Correct...long distance uplines make it difficult to be able to attend any gatherings. Some uplines will be willing to send stuff to downline, usually by email, to help them get going. Personally, I would really recommend (strongly, lol!) you try some more to find a local demo, even if it's not as close as your backyard. Somebody in the next town or 30 minutes or more away from you, close enough that you still might be able to get together quarterly or monthly...

I just think that being able to get together with uplines and sidelines for training, swapping, classes, etc., can be so valuable. I'd hate to see anybody go without that, especially if you don't know a lot of stampers already.
I agree with this but be sure that they actually offer meetings if that is what you are looking for. Some do some don't. My upline quite about three months after I signed up, she was long distance to me but didn't offer anything.

I am proof that you don't need an upline to succeed.:p I just returned from Founder's Circle and have been orphaned my whole SU career.

Good Luck to you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

If you feel you are going to need upline support then definitely interview several demos before you decide. However, not everyone needs upline support. I've done everything on my own and while I'm not earning cruise or anything I feel like I've done really well since I haven't had to spend any of my own money on stamps. Everything I've purchased I purchased with profit, including my furniture in my stamp room.

I would, however, make sure you talk to the person you sign up under and don't just sign up on their website. Make sure they want to have a downline and that they will answer questions if you have them. Someone posted on here not too long ago that she signed up under someone online without that person knowing and then they were upset that the upline wouldn't contact her back.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes