Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question to former SU demos

I've been a Demo for about 6 years now but haven't done a single workshop since last Nov. I've had lots of stuff going on and basically I've run out of steam and don't really have the desire to rebuild my business. My question is what was your deciding factor in dropping your demonstratorship?

TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was kinda burned out on the workshop thing AND finding new customers but I still wanted to do something with paper crafting. So I started submitting my stuff to publications and such. I got picked to be on the 2009 Spellbinders Design team (before the new IDA was announced) and decided that being on a design team AND being a SU demo just wasn't working for me. I quit SU and haven't really regretted it.

You might find that without the "pressure" of selling, etc....your love of paper crafting improves!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I had some personal problems with the new IDA and decided that I couldn't sign it in good faith. So I let my demo-ship drop. But I still love and buy SU! products!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

It was the change of colours and the new catalogue prices here in the Uk to cover "postage" that made up my mind. It just seems like a great ploy to get all the demos to buy all the new cardstock, inks, markers, then add the new catalogue, add the extra postage - would be over a hundred pounds just to be in the same position . Also had rumours about the big shot being in the new catalogue - no its not. Such a disappointment so decided to call it a day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I couldn't keep being my best customer. I do miss it, though, especially not knowing everything that is going on. I was also stressing out a lot.

I decided just join a stamp club and get my toys that way.

If you drop, and want to re-join later, there are usually mini recruit promotions every so often.

Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was only a hobby demo, pretty much my own costumer. I decided to quit because I had gotten all of the things that I wanted and wanted to start buying from other companies. That was a while ago before the new IDA, but I could not afford to buy from other companies as long as I was a SU demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I decided I didn't want to agree to the restrictions of the new IDA, so I dropped. I still do classes, but now I am not restricted at all in the products I use for those classes. I have so much more fun stamping now without the pressure of meeting the minimums, and worrying about using strictly SU product in the projects I create. Still buy and use SU, just don't sell it anymore

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

It was the new IDA for me too. And I have found I don't miss it at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

My main reason for dropping was financial. I could sometimes manage to make my minimums through individual sales and perhaps one workshop in a three month period; but often I had to buy to be sure I got there. And I was truly my own best customer.

In three years I never managed to build any kind of business. No regular customer base and no recruits. When we moved to a different state I just let it drop because I was now unemployed and COULD NOT buy any supplies. It took about two years after my move before I looked for a demo near me. I still love the products but know that I can't be a demo again. Can't afford to do it "just as a hobby" and I don't have it in me to recruit and sell and make it a viable business on it's own. Wish I did. I do miss it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

It was because of the new IDA for me as well. I found it too restrictive, plus I wasn't making any money at all. I spent so much time writing newsletters, creating projects for events, etc. etc. that I really didn't take the time to do much crafting for myself. I don't miss SU at all, even though I still like their products and buy some here and there.
When I quit as a demo I decided to pursue my dream of getting my work published. I found that once I was no longer focused on trying to make a business out of paper crafting that I grew as an artist and really began to find myself. For me, dropping as a demo was the best thing I could have done to further my paper crafting "career".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
I decided I didn't want to agree to the restrictions of the new IDA, so I dropped. I still do classes, but now I am not restricted at all in the products I use for those classes. I have so much more fun stamping now without the pressure of meeting the minimums, and worrying about using strictly SU product in the projects I create. Still buy and use SU, just don't sell it anymore
I totally agree - the limits of SU is just too much - dont they undestand most crafters dont want to be stuck with one supplier - there is so much lovely stash out there !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 03:50 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I'll post though I am a demo right now.

I was a demo, got out and signed up again with the July special deal.

I was a hobby demo. My kids were small and I just couldn't count on DH to be home since his work hours were so sporatic. I didn't want to worry about if he was coming home in time for me to be able to leave.

I had a small once a month club and that was going well, but a few of those customers moved so it just fizzled.

We were going to be moving in a few months so I let it go, but still bought from SU as well as other companies.

Fast forward to present. I was in an awesome stamp club, had an awesome demo. She told me about the July special and I thought it was awesome but not interested because I loved her stamp club. Turns out she wanted to get out of being a demo. So, I signed up, and had an instant club. She's still in the club, so it's totally sweet. Don't know how long I'll be a demo, but for now I'm loving it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Left but came back...

To the OP: Having 6 years invested in SU in an accomplishment. Sounds like you do need to take a break, but maybe that doesn't mean resigning. You must have a decent customer base; are you able to keep your DBWS? If that keeps covering your minimums, I would suggest you try riding out the storms in your personal life. It would probably take a very long time to attain the title and sales history you have.

Having a few friends over to make cards, even using your retired stuff might bring in a little $ and generate some sales. That's the reason I came back. I like the products and I like sharing this wonderful hobby.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever it might be, it should be one that is best for you.

pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of things that the company was doing - like saying that the dormant list was going to be good for the entire catalog year then re-announcing that it was ending six months early, then totally removing all indications on their demonstrator-only website that they had EVER said that it was going to be available for a year. That wasn't the first time they tried to re-write history by trying to completely wipe out previous announcements and act like they had no idea what anyone was complaining about. Mostly though it was the IDA, and not totally the wording in the new IDA (which I found too far reaching especially if your personal blog never ever mentioned that you were ever a demo) but how they went about announcing it. The fact that many of those who would be the most impacted by the announcement didn't fall into the SU higher level of demos who got early notice of it. The fact that SU said again and again that being on design teams for competitors was fine even when so many questioned that practice again and again from very early on. Way too many times of backpeddling on announcements - like they didn't ever really think things through in the first place. I didn't want my name associated with a company who knowingly did business like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was mostly a Hobby Demo who did a "workshop" about once a month. But I was finding that SU was stuck in a rut with their images and products. I was getting bored with what SU had to offer and I had tampered with the "Dark Side" (as my DH called it) and was finding that there was sooo much out there from different companies that was calling to my creative needs. I was having a hard time making myself meet mins (when the workshops were a bust) when I wanted to spend $$ on stuff I WANTED versus just "stuff".

The final straw was the new IDA. Had a little problem with SU trying to tell me that I basically had to become a BUSINESS demo and what I could/could not put on my personal blog (which never indicated that I was a demo)....soooo I left. And in all honesty, it was the best thing I could have done for my creativity!!
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Glad to hear that I am not alone. The IDA isn't the reason for my considering leaving. I think the only thing I will miss if I leave is the advance notice and the discount. I've lost most of my customers due to the economy or just because they can buy a larger variety at a better price from local scrapbook stores. I still think SU has the best rubber and I love their stamps, but I think I may go pending after the first of the year. For most of this year I have been making my own minimums so I'll have to consider whether I can afford to do that going forward.

I'd still like to hear from others. Thanks to all who have posted, you have given me much to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I'm still a demo but thought I'd comment because I had a conversation like this with a downline recently and I know that I've had the thought in the past because I was moving a lot. In the case of my downline, she was a hobby demo and buying her minimums. She loved the Stampin' Success magazine and being able to order at a discount but her friends couldn't afford buying stamp stuff period (regardless of SU or anywhere else) and she didn't really want to sell. She had gotten busy with life and was going to miss her sales for the quarter. We talked and ended up deciding it made more sense for her to drop. Stamping should be fun and while the benefits would be missed, she wanted to be able to use the stuff she had and not have to worry about buying her minimums. I told her that if she changed her mind later, she could always resign up and there seem to be periodic re-sign up offers. I try to keep her in the loop as much as I can but I think she is enjoying not feeling obligated to make a sales minimum right now while she get reinvigorated to stamp.

For myself personally, I thought about it because I was buying my minimums after all my moves but decided that I was still having fun as a demo and thought it would be a fun challenge to try to build up my business. So, I stayed in and started working my business in new ways. I'll keep going until I hit a point where it becomes more of a burden then fun to stay a demo.

I think this is a personal decision, but in the end, it all comes down to what makes you happy. If you are feeling more stressed than enjoying the extras of being a demo, then maybe it makes sense to take a break for a while. If you are still having fun but just feeling down that you are buying your minimums, then consider staying in. There are a few great groups on Stampin Connection and here, or even individuals, that would be great to help give you ideas and help cheer you on to try to find new ways to build your business up again. I guess it all comes down to what feels right for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I had a good customer base and some downline, but a lot of things all converged at once that encouraged me to leave . . . a stalker downline, a major family move, increased pressure at work, more and more travel at work . . . and then the IDA. Although I understand why they did it, it totally went against my business plan/model. One of the reasons I went with Stampin' Up! in the first place was because I thought they understood that working with other companies increased their exposure - but then they went the exclusive route, and I didn't think that was best for me or my customers. I still love Stampin' Up! products, though, and miss my demonstrator discount. ;)

Good luck with your decision - you'll win either way. Stampin' Up! is a great company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

The reason I let my SU demonstratorship lapse was pretty much due to $$$. My customer base was limited and workshops were sporadic. I started to burn out too, after 8 years as a demonstrator. I miss being on the inside track of what is new and having access to the SU website. I'm just not that into my crafting these days. My sons are getting older and life is busy. I am part of a club and still get to buy my goodies, without spending too much and winding up with a lot of items that won't be used to their best potential.

Yvonne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just dropped last month after almost 5 years. I was always my best customer but several friends had promised to help meet minimums with the use of the discount. Well, we all know what happens. That fizzled out and I was left holding the bag and they still expected their discount when they finally ordered. I miss the extras but I couldn't afford it anymore plus I started buying from SU 15 years ago, so I have a LOT of stuff. I'm not exclusive SU, but pretty close.

I know ordered from a good friend and adjusting. It was the best decision for me as I have a super busy day job and need to use the stuff I have.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

I dont like being told what to do... LOL SU! says who you can buy from... ummm, DH doesn't even try that...I WAS a HOBBY DEMO... I made my minimums by myself, NEVER had a class, downline or anything. Sure I coulda faked it signed the IDA as who would check on lowly ole KelliJo but the idea of them thinking you HAD to be SU! Only irritated me... THEn there is the issue of their products REALLY starting to suck... IT all looks just like some of my older sets that go to 1999... Just not a lot of pizzazz to them, then I saw the new cattie... YEEHAWWWW... SO glad I didn't suck it up and stay at the start of the year.... NOPE!!!!

Whatever YOU decide, decide for YOU... GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I feel ya. I was a demo for about 7 years, made it to Manager, walked across stage for recruiting, got to demo at a Regional, went to I think 5 conventions.
I was gung ho SU!
Then, I went through a major life change - and I do mean MAJOR - including going from SAHmilitaryW to divorce, working full time, living on 40% of $$ used to in same house/lifestyle, then remarried and 3 boys in 4 years, plus two moves in that time...so yeah. SU totally dropped off my priority list and I let my demoship drop after a year or so.
Honestly, I think You'll be fine.
I had everything I could want supply wise, so really, as some one else said, it was hard to find anything to buy from SU! anymore!
All i miss is the comraderie, having an "in" for news and specials from the company, and of course the discount.
However, you might not even have to miss that. I was able to find a wonderful stamp group not too far away, and the demo gives former demo's the 20% off. I don't think it'd be very hard to find a similar set-up with a former upline/downline/friend demo or even someone here that just needs a slight boost to meet her minimums or something like that.
Having a group to stamp with is the best part, and you don't need to be a demo for that.
On the plus side, it is SO FREEING not to be limited to one company!!!
WARNING: it may also be very expensive, lol!!!
I keep my CS, inks, and almost every embellishment etc. from SU! to keep the wonderful color coordination, simple and easy. I have branched out with other company's stamps and punches and dies. I really enjoy the nesties I save up ('cause I am poor now!) and get stamps that are NOT LIKE any i already have. I mean, really, all of us with SU! years of experience have enough florals, alphas, etc. to last through more projects than we'll ever make.
there's my $0.02, hope that helps a bit.
Holly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I left SU over two years ago, I think. Was a demo for 5 years and had one downline. I never was able to start up a business - live in an area where more struggled financially than not. I had everything and found SU was retiring sets and replacing them with similar ones. When the colors started changing every year, I'd had enough.

I'm very curious about the new IDA. No ones given a lot of details on here and it sounds like people didn't like the exclusive requirement. Just two years ago it was still very exclusive. You couldn't demo anything that wasn't SU, couldn't promote yourself on your own website unless it was an SU website, etc. What's different in the new one?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I was a demo for 2 years, over 2 years ago. I started just to be a hobby demo and after 2 years I had everything I wanted. Then I quit working and my crafting $$$ went way down. So I quit. I never had the inclination nor the potiental base to make it a good second job.....don't attend church, not from the area originally, no kids in school, etc. I also did not have a good upline, so I think that also made an impact. Do I miss it? Yeah, sometimes but, it sounds like whatever IDA is sucks. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #25  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

The new IDA, my mother's health, and my family were the deciding factors in my dropping my demoship.

I was successful as a demo. I made my house payments, electric, cell and phone bills with my earnings. However, the IDA was an issue with me.

I had some business background, my hubby was a finance major in college, my dad was in the printing business, and my mother is an artist. It pretty much made sense to go into business for myself, as I was making TONS of money for SU! and only about 34% for me! That's not really a great deal, when you break it down. (And, I was working over 18 hours a day at selling SU!)

We worked VERY hard to get our new venture off the ground. My mother was too young for SS, is a terminal patient, no insurance(in Florida, you can be fired for being sick, it's a Right to Work state. When she lost her job, she lost her insurance), and hadn't been approved for Disability Insurance. So, we had to make the business successful, if just to make enough money to pay her health care bills. And, WE ALL worked, many long hours at the beginning. It was just us in my dining room! Now, we have a warehouse, employees, taxes, yada yada yada.

And, as in my SU! demoship, we are enjoying success. It takes MAJOR work to make ANY business successful.

So, if you WANT to be successful, in ANYTHING, you need to committ to venture with your heart, energy and DRIVE. You have to do anything you can to get your sales where you want them. That means you sometimes put a vacation, party, trip etc on the back burner, so that your business will not fail.

Your decision should rest in what you are willing to INVEST of yourself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddietschView Post
I left SU over two years ago, I think. Was a demo for 5 years and had one downline. I never was able to start up a business - live in an area where more struggled financially than not. I had everything and found SU was retiring sets and replacing them with similar ones. When the colors started changing every year, I'd had enough.

I'm very curious about the new IDA. No ones given a lot of details on here and it sounds like people didn't like the exclusive requirement. Just two years ago it was still very exclusive. You couldn't demo anything that wasn't SU, couldn't promote yourself on your own website unless it was an SU website, etc. What's different in the new one?
I don't know when they changed the bit about only being able to promote yourself (and SU) on an SU website to your own blog, but for many the new IDA went too far in the respect that even if on your own personal blog you never even mention ANYTHING about you being a demo, you couldn't link to any competitor sites. SU considered you a demo 24-7 and they thought they had the right to tell you what you could or could not say on your personal electronic communications 24-7. I have more hobbies than just stamping. I also paint and quilt among others. I technically would have been in violation of the new IDA even if I had a quilting blog where I never, ever mentioned that I was a demo and I had direct links to stores such as JoAnn's for their quilting supplies. Because JoAnn's is considered a competitor because of their vast stamping and scrapbooking supplies, I couldn't link to them for quilting. Even if no one knew I was a demo, never mentioned it on the blog, I would have been in violation of the restrictions in the new IDA (remember, demo 24-7 to SU now eventhough you are not an employee but an independant demonstrator). For many, they didn't care about the changes in the new IDA. You can go to numerous blogs where the demo has all the links to the SU sales and such but also have direct links to the competitors. They have the attitude that they'll do what they want anyway and let someone catch them and turn them in. I doubt that SU does much anyway because they already said that they wouldn't be policing the new agreement. So, many go on blatently violating the new IDA anyway just so they still get the demo discount, advanced ordering, notices, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

The only reason I quit was because I had about 40 packs of envelopes in my hall closet, boxes and boxes of embellishments I would never use, designer paper that was piling up, etc., etc. I didn't do workshops or classes so, my minimums were all for me. I flip-flop about rejoining. I have absolutely no problems with SU. So, after I deplete my stock a little, maybe. I'll just make better choices with my purchases. I miss the early notices, Stampin Success, prepurchases, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I was a demo for about five years. I quit because I was not going to allow SU to control what I posted on my blog and whether or not I was allowed to publish projects made with images from other stamp companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeygirl59View Post
The only reason I quit was because I had about 40 packs of envelopes in my hall closet, boxes and boxes of embellishments I would never use, designer paper that was piling up, etc., etc. I didn't do workshops or classes so, my minimums were all for me. I flip-flop about rejoining. I have absolutely no problems with SU. So, after I deplete my stock a little, maybe. I'll just make better choices with my purchases. I miss the early notices, Stampin Success, prepurchases, etc.
I am with you sister! Miss some of those things too. Need to do more scrapbooking and use 'em up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I want to thank the OP for starting this thread. Not being a demo, it's informative to learn from those who've "been there, done that." I'm trying to talk my sister into becoming one. She doesn't have any SU! stuff, so the starter kit would be okay for her (whereas I'd get lots of duplicates). Between the two of us, we could make her minimums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickUpsView Post
I had a good customer base and some downline, but a lot of things all converged at once that encouraged me to leave . . . a stalker downline, a major family move, increased pressure at work, more and more travel at work . . . and then the IDA. Although I understand why they did it, it totally went against my business plan/model. One of the reasons I went with Stampin' Up! in the first place was because I thought they understood that working with other companies increased their exposure - but then they went the exclusive route, and I didn't think that was best for me or my customers. I still love Stampin' Up! products, though, and miss my demonstrator discount. ;)

Good luck with your decision - you'll win either way. Stampin' Up! is a great company.
What is a stalker downline? Anything like a regular stalker? Sounds bad. :shock:

Last edited by binx; 09-13-2010 at 05:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I started as a Demo for SU in 1994, yep, way back when. I used to phone in my orders, got to know the lady from all the phone calls. My demo number was 2xxx. My upline retired, then we all got rearranged and I ended up in the downline of a great lady who is the owner's Aunt. Loved working with her. All of this was way back when. Back when foam mounted and wood mounted were options, other companies stamps and products were offered in the catalog. I was a demo for 15 years and just had had enough. It's a great company. There was just too much, went through the sister split, through the demo agreements, color changes, product changes, loss of foam mounted - wood only, wheels being changed to SU only, images starting to repeat each other, etc.... Got to the point I was spending too much staying "current" than liking what I purchased.

For about a year I missed the website, the ideas, the demo stuff. Then it passed and I have no regrets. I was free to stamp, shop and play with whatever I liked. Love the freedom, I actually shop less and play more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

When I originally started my SU business, I was in it to make money. It didn't take me long to figure out that it did not have a good time to money ratio. Thus, I decided to pursue other interests but keep my SU business as mostly a personal order one.

About a year in, I started getting tired of the product. The artwork all looked the same. The Stampin' Success bored the tar out of me - all of the projects looked the same. I still had a few outside customers that helped me meet my minimums, which was good, but they also seemed to order whatever would instantly go on backorder. Then, I realized that just about everything was going on backorder.

But, the kicker was the IDA. I wasn't particularly happy about it when it came out, but was willing to consider it. What got me was that SU kept changing its interpretation of the contract repeatedly in the month demos had to review and sign it. They also weren't incorporating those changes into the contract, thus, the contract had not changed. I found that unconscionable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

I signed up in 2004. I was laid off my teaching job (budget cuts) and I had a miscarriage. I was really down in the dumps and SU seemed like something fun that would keep my hands and heart busy during those difficult months. I did ok on sales and had 8 workshops a month typically. I had a downline of 12 and things were going great.

Then my husband quit his job and said we were moving to San Diego for him to start a new job. I moved with my demoship to SD and tried to give it a go from there. I had a 2 year old and a newborn and I had no friends (let alone customers) in SD. I quit because I wanted to focus on my family and raising my kids. I also wanted to put the majority of my free time into scrapbooking for my own family--not preparing make-n-takes for strangers. Also I wanted to try to make friends. And when someone saw me coming, I wanted them to say, "Oh here comes Kirsten. She wants to be my friend." NOT "Oh here comes Kirsten. She wants to sell me something." It just seemed like the worst conflict of interest. That was 2007.

Now I have scrapbooked up a storm. I send handmade cards to everyone for every occassion. I volunteer cards to the local crisis pregnancy center. I have all the supplies I need and buy only what I love. It's wonderful to feel like my priorities are straight and my family is first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I am in the same boat. I am a demo who is going to be sending off her resignation letter by the end of the month. There are a few reasons and here they are, in no particular order:
1) I own TONS of SU stuff!
2) Color renovation got me down because I want MORE color, not less
3) Its a little harder to be a hobby demo meeting all your own minimums when you dont want to sell SU because everyone else already sells SU
4) I have started branching out much more and finding new and exciting companies to love
5) started a blog and want to show and tell everything I love and not be restricted!
6) found a new company that I love their quality stamps, cute images and they dont have minimims or sell a bunch of "other stuff" and I can run my business they way I want
7) want to hold classes and stamp camps and not have it be about "what product I am using" but about what awesome project we are making
8) if I remain a demo then I have access to all the inside info and that makes me feel like I need to buy everything and I have bought stamp sets that I didnt use or really love because I was "jumping on the bandwagon"

Those reasons, especially all combined, have made me realize its time for me to go. That being said, I LOVE Stampin' Up!! They are a great company, even with the IDA (Independent Demonstrator Agreement). Just because that wasnt for everyone, you cant blame them for wanting their demos to promote their product and not everything else. I think SU product is still some of the best around. Everyone complains about their "outdated" images but they are on just as much trend right now as many others. There are only so many "new things" out there. I think their cardstock and Designer Paper is super quality and so are their accessories. Their new pearls and rhinestones are the absolute best on the market that I have seen and I look at those thing alot elsewhere. The demos on the demo side are the best around! THATS what I will miss the most when I drop is all the awesome SU demos who I love and who have become my friends!! =(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

I am very appreciative of everyones comments. I have made the decision to quit at the end of the year. (Just want the discount until then in case I need something for Christmas). I have no problem with SU. Not their fault I did not grow my business. It was my choice. I am always impressed by how they try to make the company current and will miss being a demo, but like the person who posted said after a year she did not miss it any more, that may very well happen.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

I appreciate all the candor and comments. I think I have come to the decision that I am going to drop (or go pending and drop) after the first of the year. I want to go through the catty and get all the things I truly want and still get my discount before the end of the year. I just don't have the heart to sell anymore. I love SU and think they are an awesome company and the IDA didn't really bother me. I do have a blog but was using it to try to promote my business...even if I didn't have much success doing that. I plan on having some fun being creative and holding my own classes where the money comes to me. It's been a great ride but the time has come for me to move on to other things and branch out to buy some stamps from some other great companies.
Reply With Quote Likes