Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #41
Polyshrink Goddess

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciez View Post
check out www.heartprints.com for Sue's great tutorials on gamasol/prisma. She many times uses Q-tips...
Hi, I clicked on your link, but it took me to a "Molly Plummer's" website. Could you have entered it incorrectly? I would really like to read what Sue has to say.

Have yourself a happy stamping day.

Trish in Wisconsin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #42
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Paper Kissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriboHearts View Post
Hi, I clicked on your link, but it took me to a "Molly Plummer's" website. Could you have entered it incorrectly? I would really like to read what Sue has to say.

Have yourself a happy stamping day.

Trish in Wisconsin
I think it's heartprints.net

Erin
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #43
Kookie Creator

Okay ladies, I think I've got this worked out. I'm attaching the printable excel file to this message. I highly recommend printing this chart on the same card stock you plan to use for the majority of your stamp coloring. This will give a better representation of the colors and how they will appear on your image.

the color chart fully colored can be seen on my blog - http://kreativelicense.blogspot.com/...eyre-here.html

V
Attached Files
File Type: xls prismacolor chart.xls (28.5 KB, 316 views)
Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #44
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Paper Kissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Okay ladies, I think I've got this worked out. I'm attaching the printable excel file to this message. I highly recommend printing this chart on the same card stock you plan to use for the majority of your stamp coloring. This will give a better representation of the colors and how they will appear on your image.

the color chart fully colored can be seen on my blog - http://kreativelicense.blogspot.com/...eyre-here.html

V
Awesome, thanks so much!

Erin
Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #45
Glitter Queen

Quote:
...I'm attaching the printable excel file to this message...
Thanks so much, I was hoping you'd post this! Thanks for saving me lots of time!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #46
Inking Addict

Wow...thanks. So sweet of you to share!!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #47
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Yahoo to Luciesfloozies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphorse View Post
Unless you have other things to add, Dick Blick has high shipping!

Check here and see if you don't do better...

http://www.carpediemstore.com/mlistC...midCategory=72

I ordered pencils last night from Dick BLick. If you buy 12 or more they are $0.86 each. This Carpediem store is $1.36 each. I even checked out that other site I saw (I think it was called Ultech), theirs were $1.36 each and their shipping was the same as Dick BLick. ($7.9

So, Dick Blick is for me!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #48
Stampin' Fool

Question

I love the Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils!

I also have the BLENDER PENCIL.

Does anyone have any good ways to use the blender pencil? I use it but I am not sure if I am using it correctly.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

V
Thanks so very much for this. I know that it will help me out a lot. I am ordering the 120 Prismacolors in 2 weeks. I was going to get a smaller set, but then went to Dick Blick's web site and for the price that he has them you may as well go all out.

Have a happy stamping day.

Trish in Wisconsin
Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #50
Die Cut Diva

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
I love the Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils!

I also have the BLENDER PENCIL.

Does anyone have any good ways to use the blender pencil? I use it but I am not sure if I am using it correctly.
I use the blender pencil INSTEAD of the blending stump and baby oil (or OMS). So I use it the same way, by going over the colored areas and then adding the darker color for shading and blending it. I usually use the colorless blender pencil for small images, such as Bellas. Here is a card I made where I used the colorless blender pencil:

Yummalicious
Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSunshine View Post
With the Copics craze going on and knowing these are really out of my price range, I tried out Prismacolor pencils and baby oil last night and I'm in love! This was so easy and it brought back a lot of my old tole painting skills. I started with the set of 36 pencils but I'm quite sure, I will want to add to my new collection. Question......can you recommend any on-line sites that sell the pencils individually and can you recommend any flesh color combos to get?

Thanks!
I love that technique too (baby oil) and I bought the big set at HL with their coupon. LOVE the coupons. They may have them online too.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #52
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by djuseless View Post
I use the blender pencil INSTEAD of the blending stump and baby oil (or OMS). So I use it the same way, by going over the colored areas and then adding the darker color for shading and blending it. I usually use the colorless blender pencil for small images, such as Bellas. Here is a card I made where I used the colorless blender pencil:

Yummalicious
Love your card, really like how the "blending pencil" turned out. I am ordering the Prismacolor's in 2 weeks, I shall remember to get a blending pencil. How do you clean off the color. Do you sharpen it, or just color on another piece of paper until the color is gone? Inquiring minds would like to know. Lol.

Have a happy stamping day.

Trish in Wisconsin
Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #53
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriboHearts View Post
Love your card, really like how the "blending pencil" turned out. I am ordering the Prismacolor's in 2 weeks, I shall remember to get a blending pencil. How do you clean off the color. Do you sharpen it, or just color on another piece of paper until the color is gone? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Blending pencils can be fun. Get a couple if you can. They work best when sharp. As for changing colors, that's the beauty of a blending pencil. Unlike stumps, they don't pick up the color onto the pencil. They're like a clear colored pencil.

I have several, but don't use them much now that I've got the hang of stumps and baby oil. I like the effect okay, but I find it just doesn't blend as smoothly for me as the baby oil.

V
Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #54
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:
Blending pencils can be fun. Get a couple if you can. They work best when sharp. As for changing colors, that's the beauty of a blending pencil. Unlike stumps, they don't pick up the color onto the pencil. They're like a clear colored pencil.

I have several, but don't use them much now that I've got the hang of stumps and baby oil. I like the effect okay, but I find it just doesn't blend as smoothly for me as the baby oil.

V
Thanks, have a great day

Trish in Wisconsin
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #55
Die Cut Diva

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Quote:

V
I agree about the baby oil blending better but I feel that I have more control for smaller images.

Definitely get a few of the blender pencils, I think that they cost the same a individual pencils. You are going to love the set of 120! I do not regret it!

Last edited by djuseless; 03-30-2009 at 09:15 AM..
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #56
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagirl984 View Post
Pam

You should purchase the regular pencils, NOT watercolor if you are using OMS or baby oil. Watercolor pencils are made strictly for water. If you are interested you can view a video on Gina K's new StampTV.com site. She begins by discussing the tools you would need and shows you how to color and use OMS. You could just replace OMS with baby oil. I personally don't care for baby oil. I bought some and tried it. The oil spread on my paper and did not evaporate. I like OMS because you can saturate the paper with it and it will dry without evidence of the OMS. I bought mine at ACMoore for I think $5 or $6; and it is a huge bottle that will probably last me forever.
I am quoting myself to say that I decided based on all of the response here and in other threads, to try baby oil again. I took the suggestion from others to not use so much. Wow, it actually worked. I colored in a new image I bought from CC Designs. It it looks fabulous. No oil stains. I am now convinced and wanted to thank you all for convincing me.

To the OP, I stand corrected with the baby oil. I used Primsacolor pencils. I bought mine at AC Moore with a coupon last year. Have fun trying this wonderful way of coloring.

Join us for VSN Friday & Saturday, June 6 & 7
Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #57
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagirl984 View Post
I am quoting myself to say that I decided based on all of the response here and in other threads, to try baby oil again. I took the suggestion from others to not use so much. Wow, it actually worked. I colored in a new image I bought from CC Designs. It it looks fabulous. No oil stains. I am now convinced and wanted to thank you all for convincing me.
Yay! I'm glad you tried it again. I've gotten too much oil sometimes, but usually only when I'm in a hurry. My cute little one can hit the perfect pitch that switches on my "hurry, hurry, hurry" button. I've shifted to coloring where he can see me and that's fixed most of my problems.

V
Old 03-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #58
Stazon Splitcoast

Whoohoooo I just won a set of Prisma Color Pencils on Ebay for $52.00 for 120..still new in shrink wrapped box...What a Steal! There is another set at only $31.00! Cant wait to get them! I use them with OMS.
Blessings.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #59
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Yay! I'm glad you tried it again. I've gotten too much oil sometimes, but usually only when I'm in a hurry. My cute little one can hit the perfect pitch that switches on my "hurry, hurry, hurry" button. I've shifted to coloring where he can see me and that's fixed most of my problems.

V
Here's a simple way around using too much baby oil. I put a small square of felt into a covered container. I add several drops of baby oil to the felt. When I am need it, I dab the blending stump onto the felt and blend the colors. When I am done coloring, I just put the cover on the container. I also add more baby oil when necessary. I find that I do not saturate the image or the paper. It works well for me and it makes it is to bring with you.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #60
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbballfan View Post
I use the Goo Gone Mess Free pen - works great. But if someone has a suggestion for a tool to use with OMS, I would really appreciate it. I cannot stand the feel of the blending stumps in my hand. Worse than fingernails across a blackboard. Any help out there?
This gal makes how own "stumps" with cheap paper towels. Here is a link to the thread with her instructions. Scroll down to Post #12:

Prisma color pencils

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #61
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
Whoohoooo I just won a set of Prisma Color Pencils on Ebay for $52.00 for 120..still new in shrink wrapped box...What a Steal! There is another set at only $31.00! Cant wait to get them! I use them with OMS.
Blessings.
Congratulations on your winning bid. I bid sometimes too, but I never win. Must be too cheap, I guess. Lol. Have fun with your new pencils. I have to wait until the middle of next month to purchase mine, or perhaps I'll check out E-bay too.

Have a happy stamping day!

Trish in Wisconsin
Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

It took me three times to finally win these...I lost the other three auctions. I was surprised to get the email saying I won...very nice indeed.
Blessings.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #63
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I usually use stumps, but I have a Colored Pencil Blender (it's not a pencil, it's more like a SU marker blender with 2 colorless tips) - doesn't blend as well as OMS, but works. I really like the narrow tip for small areas (can't get the stumps so pointy) so maybe I will try to dip it in the OMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbballfan View Post
I use the Goo Gone Mess Free pen - works great. But if someone has a suggestion for a tool to use with OMS, I would really appreciate it. I cannot stand the feel of the blending stumps in my hand. Worse than fingernails across a blackboard. Any help out there?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #64
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Here's another recent thread with some good info for you...

Prismacolor pencils 120 question.........
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #65
Insane Embellisher

V
I just sent you a PM for your chart, but saw that you were able to post it to the thread - so just ignore my PM.

THANKS for uploading it!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #66
Glitter Queen

here's a dumb question. Some of you use baby oil and someone said that baby oil is basically mineral oil with scent so can you use plain old mineral oils with a blending stump?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 AM   #67
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Yahoo to steph772

Thanks for all the tips for prismas! I love mine too. I actually bought some copics, but i think i will sell them because I just cant get them to blend like I can the prisma pencils. I use all sorts of colored pencils too, not just prismas. I use Stampin up metallics, SU watercolors, prisma watercolors. Just pick whatever color I need at the time and blend them together well. I use Gamsol and it is wonderful stuff with the blending stumps. I waited a long time to get the gamsol and now I wish I hadnt, it is awesome.

My question for you all is, How are you storing the pencils? I had mine in a bucket from the dollar spot at Target. That is just not working for me! My ideal storage would have them by color somehow, so I can see what shades I have for the color I am wanting instead of digging though my bucket. Plus my bucket is getting full and I cant seem to get all my pencils in it anymore
I would like a storage that wasnt to awful big either. Just something I can put to the side and grab when Im coloring. I probably have 50 to 75 pencils as of now and I want room to grow.
What are you using?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #68
Die Cut Diva

I used baby oil too, but I didn't like it very much.. it did the blending job fine, but I had to be very careful not to get greasy spots. So you could try the mineral oil, but I would try it on a scrap paper first
Quote:
Originally Posted by slan813 View Post
here's a dumb question. Some of you use baby oil and someone said that baby oil is basically mineral oil with scent so can you use plain old mineral oils with a blending stump?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #69
Die Cut Diva

oh, btw - I just found out an interesting thing - the Prismacolor Scholar have different numbers than Prismacolor Premier. Also as somebody mentioned before they really have less pigment (at least some of them). I have some same shades of both and the Scholar are lighter/less intense than Premier.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #70
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicaz View Post
oh, btw - I just found out an interesting thing - the Prismacolor Scholar have different numbers than Prismacolor Premier. Also as somebody mentioned before they really have less pigment (at least some of them). I have some same shades of both and the Scholar are lighter/less intense than Premier.
From what I can tell on Prismacolor's site, the Scholars should work, but as the Premiers have the thick soft lead on them, they work best. The color numbers are different, but when comparing, it looks as if you could replace the "3" in the color number with a "9" and get the comparable Premier color choice.

As Diane mentioned earlier and something I do myself, if you put a bit of felt, or a scrap of cotton batting into a container and then put baby oil on that you have more control over how much oil you pick up. Just push your stump against the baby oil ladden fabric and it will absorb just enough and help eliminate the greasies!

V
Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #71
Die Cut Diva

yes, the Scholars work (I got a box of 60 for about $20 Canadian) and I also have couple of Premier so I could compare. I figured out the numbering too
Old 04-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #72
Insane Embellisher

Regarding storage, I have mine in about 8 mason jars separated by colors

red/pinks
orange/yellows
greens
purples
blues
greys
browns

I have all the jars sitting on a tray that I bought from Ikea...so if I'm not using them, I can pick the whole tray up and move it out of the way...or in the summer, I move the entire tray to my table outside and color under an umbrella !
Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #73
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
I have all the jars sitting on a tray that I bought from Ikea...so if I'm not using them, I can pick the whole tray up and move it out of the way...or in the summer, I move the entire tray to my table outside and color under an umbrella !
I LOVE this idea. I do take a little stash of goodies outside sometimes when my girls are playing for endless hours in the backyard. So this would work quite well for me
My hubby is trying to make me something but it isnt quite what I had in my head, not that I really knew what I wanted in the first place
Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #74
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

Dick Blick's also carries a really nice case for the pencils. It is pretty expensive but I really love mine. Also regarding the scholar vs. premier pencils the scholar is most likely student grade while the premier is probably artist grade. The artist grade will have more pigment and thus a more intense amount of color. I've got a picture of the case as well as the container I got from Micheal's for the OMS on my blog here http://craftharsis.blogspot.com/2007...l-toolbox.html
Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #75
Die Cut Diva

OH, that pencil holder is very nice!!!! What is the price on that baby? That is more on what I was thinking I need. Im going to divide these pencils up and organize them if its the last thing I do!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #76
Kookie Creator

My poor pencils are still in their tin box, although they get a regular workout going in and out while I color. HL has that sweet pencil case for $40. Every time a 40% coupon comes up, I seriously consider it. I really should just grab it.

I did however, spring for a small wooden basket from the HL Easter crafts stuff a couple of weeks ago and altered it, cutting the pretty useless little handle off to make a nice little blending box for my other essentials.

Here's a shot of the box including the baby food jar (also altered) that holds my baby oil on a bit of cotton batting.

There are a couple other pictures of the box on my blog if you're interested.

V
Old 04-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #77
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph772 View Post
Thanks for all the tips for prismas! I love mine too. I actually bought some copics, but i think i will sell them because I just cant get them to blend like I can the prisma pencils. I use all sorts of colored pencils too, not just prismas. I use Stampin up metallics, SU watercolors, prisma watercolors. Just pick whatever color I need at the time and blend them together well. I use Gamsol and it is wonderful stuff with the blending stumps. I waited a long time to get the gamsol and now I wish I hadnt, it is awesome.

My question for you all is, How are you storing the pencils? I had mine in a bucket from the dollar spot at Target. That is just not working for me! My ideal storage would have them by color somehow, so I can see what shades I have for the color I am wanting instead of digging though my bucket. Plus my bucket is getting full and I cant seem to get all my pencils in it anymore
I would like a storage that wasnt to awful big either. Just something I can put to the side and grab when Im coloring. I probably have 50 to 75 pencils as of now and I want room to grow.
What are you using?
I found some painted clay flower pots at The Dollar Tree. I got enough to have my pencils seperated by colors. I'm looking for a tray or basket to that will hold them all to make it easier to store and haul around.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #78
Kookie Creator

Quote:

V
V- Thanks so much for sharing this with the rest of us! I, for one, am so "tech-challenged" and you saved me a LOT of time and frustration! You are awesome!!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #79
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDstamper View Post
V- Thanks so much for sharing this with the rest of us! I, for one, am so "tech-challenged" and you saved me a LOT of time and frustration! You are awesome!!
No problem! I'd already made it up for myself, so the most time consuming part was attaching it in the post.

I'm glad you like it!

V
Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #80
Mad Swapper

Yes, thankyou V for making such a great chart. Appreciate it!