Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   Xacto no more (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/xacto-no-more-t561651.html)

regan4chris 09-25-2012 05:21 PM

Xacto no more

I may have been heating up my Xacto craft knife with a flame so I could cut through some EziMount without having to deal with the stickiness...and I may have ended up bending the blade o_O It now has a right angle at the end. Useless.

I haven't decided if I want another Xacto. Has anyone found a good craft knife/scalpel type blade that they would recommend?

gregzgurl 09-25-2012 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the Fiskars fingertip control craft knife (thumbnail attached). You can find them pretty much anywhere, they use standard blades (#11), and you can guide it easily. There's also a swivel one that I haven't tried yet...

regan4chris 09-25-2012 08:34 PM

Thanks Sue - it looks pretty cool. I will see if Spotlight has any this weekend :)

felixdog 09-25-2012 08:44 PM

A hot knife will cut it like butter.

Karen

Barbara Jay 09-25-2012 09:18 PM

I use the Walnut Hollow Hot knife and it is a breeze to cut through E-Z mount. No Sticky mess ! I bought mine at Michaels with a coupon

Here is Christine from Scrap Time demonstrating it

Scrap Time - Ep. 433 - Walnut Hollow Hot Knife on Vimeo

eyee 09-25-2012 09:42 PM

I use a soldering iron with a replaceable tip and pop in a refill blade. The soldering iron works just like the Walnut Hollow which I couldn't find in my area, at least not with a 220V rating.

regan4chris 09-26-2012 04:11 AM

I was being a little impatient - I found a video on YouTube showing the hot knives cutting through EZMount and thought I would improvise to see if it worked. It did. But the knife didn't hold the heat for long enough to be useful. I might seeif DHs soldering iron can take a blade - that is a great idea eyee!

Thank you every one for your suggestions, they have all been very helpful :)

winnieu 09-26-2012 04:32 AM

I now use my fingertip one like Sue mentioned, but I don't cut EZ mount. I also love my Tonic xacto. My late hubby said I made him nervous watching me with the old one and it would "disappear" and he would hide it from me. So funny to remember. I would ask if he seen my xacto and he would bring it in and ask what I needed cut. He did get me the retractable one before he passed. So far so good.

Louisa May 09-26-2012 09:06 AM

I've been using Kai 6 inch rubber stamping shears for many years Specialty Scissors [scroll down about halfway]. I use them for cutting unmounted sheets and EZ mount, and I've never had trouble with them. I try to remember to clean them after each use, but if I forget, they still work well.

Phantom 09-26-2012 03:01 PM

When I unmounted my wood stamps and put them on EZ mount, I picked up a hot knife from Joann's and it worked great!

I put my EZmount sheet, with the bare rubber stamps placed "jigsaw puzzle style," on a tempered glass cutting board, and kept a damp rag handy for wiping off the blade.

eyee 09-26-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan4chris (Post 19711254)
I was being a little impatient - I found a video on YouTube showing the hot knives cutting through EZMount and thought I would improvise to see if it worked. It did. But the knife didn't hold the heat for long enough to be useful. I might seeif DHs soldering iron can take a blade - that is a great idea eyee!

Thank you every one for your suggestions, they have all been very helpful :)

You're welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa May (Post 19711689)
I've been using Kai 6 inch rubber stamping shears for many years Specialty Scissors [scroll down about halfway]. I use them for cutting unmounted sheets and EZ mount, and I've never had trouble with them. I try to remember to clean them after each use, but if I forget, they still work well.

I stopped using scissors cos I tend to undercut and my skinny stamps end up with hardly any foam for clinging.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 19712249)
When I unmounted my wood stamps and put them on EZ mount, I picked up a hot knife from Joann's and it worked great!

I put my EZmount sheet, with the bare rubber stamps placed "jigsaw puzzle style," on a tempered glass cutting board, and kept a damp rag handy for wiping off the blade.

I use a cheap Ikea mirror - it's square and fits one sheet of foam nicely.