Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to MegsLeigh
Default Picking a SU! demonstrator or go it alone?

So, after seeing a lot of nice blogs and cards and reading a number of threads here, I want to try SU! out. I sat paralyzed looking at the site trying to pare down what I want and have a reasonable order.

But, should I go through a demonstrator instead? I know it'll save me some money, but I can't tell if the list they gave me when I did a location search were active demonstrators or not. Their websites tended not list many events, and the one really active person I found in the Harrisburg area seems to be on hiatus. The closest I found after that was Dillsburg, about 15-20 miles out, but her events tend to fall during times I work. Should I just pick one at random to get the discount, or should I try to find a cardmaking event and order through that?

Should sign this lost in south-central PA. :P
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your order total is $150 or more, I would find a demonstrator (I bet some will volunteer themselves) because I do believe you'd qualify for hostess rewards, and I don't think you can get those via online ordering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Honestly, I'd say its in your best interest to go through a demonstrator. The biggest reason, other than the money savings, is it hooks you up with someone who can be there to answer questions you have about the products and techniques you are seeing. If you are just trying it out, they can make suggestions based on what you have and what you are most excited about creating.

Plus, you save money, can earn hostess rewards, it is (usually) easier to deal with questions or issues with your order, and it connects you with someone who can keep you updated on promotions and catalogs (if you want). Plus some demonstrators offer customer loyalty programs that may be something you are interested in.

I know that some demos are active but don't update their websites (I know, not too helpful huh?) but if you are really wanting to attend classes and events, you could email the demos closest to you and see if they do have events that they just haven't posted.

If you just want to get started, you can pick any demonstrator for your order and then figure out if there is one near you who is doing classes and events you want to work with or if you want to keep going with the demo you chose initially for the discount. I know any of us would be grateful to help you as your demo so you can do whatever feels best to you and be good to go!

Enjoy playing and experimenting with your new SU toys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

At the very least, pick someone random so you get the preferred price.

But, if you are ordering more than a couple of things I would definitely look into finding a demo. You could attend an event (or hold a workshop), and get great hands on experience with product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I would go to the SU website and look up demonstrators in your area. See who is active and teaching classes as well. Think how far you are willing to drive to get a hands on demonstrator.

I know in my area, several new customers ( 2 are local and 3 others drive up to 45 miles to see me) looked me up and chose me because I do offer card making and scrapbooking classes. They order when they want to order. I send them updates often telling them about sales and/or promotions and upcoming classes.

Good luck!
Arlene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
If your order total is $150 or more, I would find a demonstrator (I bet some will volunteer themselves) because I do believe you'd qualify for hostess rewards, and I don't think you can get those via online ordering.
They actually shouldn't be doing that here. It's against the SCS terms of service to solicit customers on the boards. Just an FYI:-)

But you really should pick a demo so that you get the best price (the catalog price) and benefits should you order $150 or more. Also, for the customer service....if something should happen to be wrong with your order or a product your demo should take care of it for you!

By no means do you need to find someone local. If you have blogs you like to follow maybe you like one of those demos? If you do want to do classes then yes, you'll have to find someone local. I'd do the search on the SU website and then contact the ones close to you and ask if they are active and what they offer. Or contact some long distance if you like their style and aren't worried about classes! And don't feel bad if you aren't happy with the first one you pick and need to shop around a bit. It happens. I felt guilty about moving on from my first demo but she just wasn't offering what I needed.

Good luck! And enjoy whatever goodies you get! SU stuff is awesome:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to MegsLeigh

Thanks, guys! The order I have is small enough that I think I'll pick a random demo, and then I'll contact the demonstrator farther out who's holding a Big Shot class and see about joining it. I can't attend the entire class because of my work schedule, but maybe she'll let me attend for part of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My demo when I started was my sister-in-law and she lives several states away from me. It didn't matter at all. I didn't really want to go to classes even if she had been giving them, but I wanted someone knowledgeable who would answer questions, make suggestions, help me with putting together orders (if it were not for her, I would have left out things that I would have needed to use my new stuff) and of course I got the discount. We communicated by phone and by email (lots of emails!) and it worked out great.

My SIL let her demo status lapse this summer, and at this point I am able to go it alone, but I am glad I had her in the beginning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegsLeighView Post
Thanks, guys! The order I have is small enough that I think I'll pick a random demo, and then I'll contact the demonstrator farther out who's holding a Big Shot class and see about joining it. I can't attend the entire class because of my work schedule, but maybe she'll let me attend for part of it.
Just a thought: If you order through the demo giving the Big Shot class, she'll probably be more willing to accept you into the class and maybe even offer some alternatives. Just thinking that if you give her some business, she might be more helpful.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I would also suggest contacting the demo before you order, to see if you can get a feel for their personality and style and see if it meshes well with your own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

The list gave me someone who is 4 hours away. So I decided to read about each person and I chose from their profiles. I really like my upline. I miss not being able to get together to make cards in my area though. Share ideas, etc. I signed up to be a demo hobbyist. If I'm going to spend the money with SU anyway, why not get the news about everything first. The latest products and insights on the whole SU website!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #12  

I agree with what everyone here is saying. It's best to go through a demo. I remember years ago when I was ordering through another demo and I had a problem with a punch I ordered. That demo took such good care of me and she had SU send me a new punch. What I'm trying to say is that if you go through a demo I'm sure you will receive wonderful customer service and he/she would be able to help you with any questions you may have. Plus some demos may offer specials of their own, such as a free catalog with your order, maybe free a class after you attend x amount of classes, perhaps they will offer you free shipping, etc.

If you’re looking to attend classes and such you will want to find someone close to you. I met some wonderful ladies when I was attending classes and it was fun to get away from the kids for a few hours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Just wondering is it wrong to purchase from more than one demo? I search many blogs and each one offers something I like. However, I'm wondering if it is ok to purchase from more than one demo. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #14  

Quote:

Originally Posted by scattyView Post
Just wondering is it wrong to purchase from more than one demo? I search many blogs and each one offers something I like. However, I'm wondering if it is ok to purchase from more than one demo. Any thoughts?
Absolutely not! Spread the love :-) We don't "own" any customer. I have a number of people who have bought a bit from me and a bit from others in the past. Before I was a demo, I shopped around a bit for someone who fit what I needed.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Absolutely not! Spread the love :-) We don't "own" any customer. I have a number of people who have bought a bit from me and a bit from others in the past. Before I was a demo, I shopped around a bit for someone who fit what I needed.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your response.
Have a great day Minders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

You might want to check out meetup.com and search for crafters in your area. Some of the hosts are SU demonstrators. That's where I go. She always has a project ready to demonstrate and then we can work on whatever we like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

It can be really difficult to find a demo. I know that years ago when I wanted to place an order as an individual, I got a list of 4 local demos from the Demo Finder at the Stampin Up website. I sent e-mails to all 4. I never heard from 3 of them and the fourth did contact me, but she said she didn't take customers who did not want to host a workshop with their friends (which I knew none of my friends would appreciate nor attend). The demo I finally found is in 5 states away & you can imagine her delight when I finally got to place my initial order which was just a little over $600. She is still my demo even though in retirement I cannot afford to order often, but I love her like a sister.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I am amazed when I hear that demos are not responding to inquiries from prospective customers! Isn't that why we signed up to be demonstrators? Yes, I am a demo and have always responded to inquiries as soon as I see them in my email.

As a independent representative of Stampin' Up!, I am sorry that any one has experienced this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I am a demo and the reason you are not getting a response is that Demos receive countless emails from scammers. It really gets annoying. When you do contact a demo say you would like to speak with or meet up with her and that will help you get a response. Whenever i email someone back I always ask if they are local to me. this helps me identify customers from spammers.
Also, i am really bad about keeping my website up to date, but i have to pay for it every month, so if they have a stampinup.net website, they are a current demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good point Veronica. It's hard to tell the spam from the actual contacts. I know my website was leading to tons of phone call spam so I took my phone number off the listing.

Also, I know this is a really old thread that was bumped up, but online ordering has changed so that you no longer can order without selecting a demonstrator. You can do a "no contact" order where the demo doesn't get your contact info (in case you don't want newsletters and such, but also hard to follow up to say thanks or send a card!), but you have to pick someone (whether local or not) when you order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #21  

Good point! I keep forgetting they changed that!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

First of all, the preferred pricing thing through a demo is gone...well actually the option to pay a higher price by ordering straight through SU! is gone.

Absolutely contact some first. I'm not great (let's be real, I'm awful) at updating my DBWS, so actually calling or emailing them to see if they're active is helpful. I would never just order from a random DS person as I love ordering from other DS businesses but like to know that I'm giving business to someone who will appreciate it.

I think it is also nice to order from the person you plan on getting help or instruction from. I know I'm always happy to help but it stings when you answer a bunch of questions and/or help someone make a decision to best benefit them and then they order from someone else. :(

Just a couple of tips of what I'd do if I were looking for a demo. You could also look into becoming a demo yourself too.

Last edited by sarahbe492; 05-05-2014 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scattyView Post
It is not wrong. You are the customer and it's your choice where you shop. That said, of course I want to provide excellent customer service and my own specials, contests, etc. so my customers see a value in shopping with me and want to be loyal. (Just like the customer loyalty cards my local cupcake store does.) For example, I've done free shipping several times this year because I know how much I like to get free shipping on anything I order online! Heck, I'll spend $15 more to save that $10 in shipping costs. I know I've had a few people order just once from me during my personal free shipping offer and probably that means they have another demo already.

One example I like to use is a customer I have out of NY (I'm in MO). She ordered from me and when I asked her if she'd like me to mail a catalog she said she had one already. She further elaborated that she had a local demo but had been watching tons of my videos and because of my videos wanted to order some things. She reasoned that, if it was something she'd learned from me that she needed to order those products from me. I certainly didn't expect that when I started doing videos so it was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Again, totally up to you what you're looking for and what your stampin needs are!
Reply With Quote Likes