Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   New SU ink pads- yes or no? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/new-su-ink-pads-yes-no-t565720.html)

heatherla 12-11-2012 12:29 PM

New SU ink pads- yes or no?
 
I'm using my old ink pads, I haven't used them in we'll over a year and a half, (only 3 years old) and most of them are dried up. Not to impressed since they have been promptly stored.

So, I am considering investing in the new ink pads instead of re-inkers for the old ones.

Any thoughts on the new type of pads and why mine dried up?

NYstamper 12-11-2012 01:19 PM

I love the new ink pads! They have a bit of a learning curve, but I love the coverage on the solid images. The only downside that i have found is you can't run the edge of the cardstock thru it or it will cut the ink pad, but I don't really use that technique much, I usually use a sponge. As far as your other ones drying out, I really don't know what to tell you. I have some that I have had for years and have no problems even when not used often. If you are interested in the new ink pads, maybe just buy a couple to see whether you like them before you invest either way.

heatherla 12-11-2012 01:52 PM

Good idea on buying a few to see if I like them but I have a feeling I probably will. ;)

9or18holes 12-11-2012 01:54 PM

Love their new ones...so much easier to use.

NIKI 12-11-2012 02:01 PM

The new ones are so much juicier. Just don't get the Black one. It will smear on your white papers. Wish SU would get that worked out and replace ours.

binkiemonstermom 12-11-2012 02:31 PM

I love the new pads. I think they give better coverage for stamps, especially large area stamps. But the new pads need reinking more than the older ones IMO. It could be because they put more ink on the stamps or maybe they are shallower, not sure, but I recommend reinkers too!
I would think if you haven't reinked your ink pads in three years, that is pretty good!!!

Cartermrc 12-11-2012 02:35 PM

I have 5 of the new ones. I like them now that I'm more used to them, they ink up so much better and you can emboss with them if you work quickly. With solid stamps I get bubbles of ink on the stamp if I tap too hard or more than once so I'm still learning there. The pads are also stickier so a couple of my smaller clear mount stamps stuck to them and came right off the block. I haven't tried sponging with them yet.

And yes, avoid the black, I use either black Stazon or Colorbox Chalk Ink in Blackbird.

Rachelrose 12-11-2012 03:17 PM

I had some trouble with them at first. One of mine in particular would not stamp a crisp image. I did some research, and it seems that sometimes you need to take a paper towel and pat off some of the ink on the pad, make it less juicy. Once I did that, things fell into place. The new pads definitely require a bit of readjusting. You need to ink more lightly. But they do give a much more saturated image.

Jeanne S 12-11-2012 03:26 PM

I really like the new ones.

vz5dzh 12-11-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermom (Post 19878723)
I love the new pads. I think they give better coverage for stamps, especially large area stamps. But the new pads need reinking more than the older ones IMO. It could be because they put more ink on the stamps or maybe they are shallower, not sure, but I recommend reinkers too!
I would think if you haven't reinked your ink pads in three years, that is pretty good!!!

Yes, if you are not happy about having to reink after 3 years, I don't think you would be happy with the new pads because they will need to be reinked sooner than that.

winnieu 12-11-2012 05:32 PM

I haven't tried the new ones yet as my set is working fine for now. If you have reinkers, you should be able to ink your pads to have them work. Have you tried refreshing spray? They will add moisture to your pads if they are very dry. I reink my pads, and every once in awhile I mist them with the ink refresher. Maybe try a new pad to see if you like it.

craftycrunchymama 12-11-2012 05:47 PM

The new pads are great for solid images. Wonderful in fact. They remind me of the great coverage you get with pigment inks.

BUT, if you want crisp, fine images don't get the new pads. I have found that the ink kind of spreads and that doesn't look so nice with sentiments or line images. But that's my fussy opinion. :)

heatherla 12-11-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vz5dzh (Post 19878835)
Yes, if you are not happy about having to reink after 3 years, I don't think you would be happy with the new pads because they will need to be reinked sooner than that.

I was simply inquiring why my inks were dry, that's it. I didn't realize that stamps would dry up in 1.5 years of not using them- so I was simply inquiring why this would happen when properly stored.

I don't mind re-inking, in fact I spent most of my afternoon doing just that. In fact, I really enjoy it because it is such a rich colour that goes in rhe pad- I can actually see the colour.

Minders 12-11-2012 07:15 PM

Hey Heather! :-) There are people who don't like the new pads for various reasons and there IS a learning curve with them but I LOOOOOVVVVEEE them! They give such rich and saturated coverage especially of solid stamps. You just have to press really lightly. I almost say it's not a tap at all but barely touching the stamp to the pad, does that make sense?

And true they do not hold as much ink because of the new foam, it's just not as absorbent as the old pads but I'll take that since the coverage is so much better. And honestly I haven't noticed that mine need reinked more. You know I stamp a LOT and I have yet to reink one!

Now, the black doesn't work good but they are working on it. And some people have had issues with basic gray (I'm getting a replacement free of charge for mine) but otherwise they are fantastic! It's a resounding yes for me.

And I think about any pad would dry out over that long of a period especially if it's dry where you live.

Hope you're doing well:-)

Makalah 12-11-2012 08:03 PM

I agree - yes for me too. I previously only had the Stampin' Spots in the basic colors, so having allllll the colors in the new juicier pads has been amazing! No ink lines on my stamped image, no messing with the tiny spots to ink a large image, and consistent coloring across larger stamps. I have not bought the gray or black due to the warnings about inconsistencies, but have bought 3 full color families and only have had one so far that has been too juicy. The rest are great. :)

koani 12-11-2012 08:55 PM

Heather,
I wonder if humidity could be a factor in why the inks dried. I live in a humid environment so maybe that has kept my inks a little longer. Just a thought. I have some SU pads I bought back in 2003 that still work although some not as strong in color. I hadn't used them for a couple years but kept them stored in a plastic drawer where air still got in. I bought the Inkessentials Ink Refresher spray for these pads. It sort of works, but it's not like reinking and you have to allow time for it to soak in or else your stamping is too wet. It's only a few dollars. It might be worth a try but only a few sprays at time. I use it sometimes because there are some discontinued SU colors that I still like to use.

I do like the new SU pads though. They do have a learning curve, but nice inking.

heatherla 12-12-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minders (Post 19879690)
Hey Heather! :-) There are people who don't like the new pads for various reasons and there IS a learning curve with them but I LOOOOOVVVVEEE them! They give such rich and saturated coverage especially of solid stamps. You just have to press really lightly. I almost say it's not a tap at all but barely touching the stamp to the pad, does that make sense?

And true they do not hold as much ink because of the new foam, it's just not as absorbent as the old pads but I'll take that since the coverage is so much better. And honestly I haven't noticed that mine need reinked more. You know I stamp a LOT and I have yet to reink one!

Now, the black doesn't work good but they are working on it. And some people have had issues with basic gray (I'm getting a replacement free of charge for mine) but otherwise they are fantastic! It's a resounding yes for me.

And I think about any pad would dry out over that long of a period especially if it's dry where you live.

Hope you're doing well:-)

Mindy- so good to hear from you. :) my eyes have settled and are staying the same. I've gotten very used to it, actually. I made my christmas catds over the past few days and I find that im not so critical of little flaws anymore whereas before I would have thrown the card out and started over again. I'm awaiting the table top paper cutter for christmas from Francis. I was smart this year, I told him what I wanted and ordered it from Gail myself with his Visa card. Lol then, when it comes its getting a bow put on it and put under the tree. Lol I just bought my own christmas present. Lol I hope others have done that because u feel a little odd, but her usually gets me strange things (line a meat grinder). :)

How are you?

Rachelrose 12-12-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymama (Post 19879499)
The new pads are great for solid images. Wonderful in fact. They remind me of the great coverage you get with pigment inks.

BUT, if you want crisp, fine images don't get the new pads. I have found that the ink kind of spreads and that doesn't look so nice with sentiments or line images. But that's my fussy opinion. :)

That was the problem I had until I patted off some of the ink with a paper towel. And not all my pads needed it, some have been fine from the start. Might be worth a try for you.

larue 12-12-2012 05:22 AM

Add me to the list of those that love the new inkpads.

basketballmom 12-12-2012 06:19 AM

Heather - it's quite dry here, so I usually have to re ink more often than people in more humid climates.
The new ink pads are awesome at providing a really rich solid colour - especially on solid stamps! I'd suggest trying one in a new In Color to see hoe you like it.

YOu are going to love your Christmas present!

bobkitten 12-12-2012 07:05 AM

I'm rather late to this thread but I'd like to point out that while you may have to reink the new SU! pads more often, you do not need to use as much ink when you do so. Much of the ink remains in the top portion of the pad. And yes, I too am a fan of the coverage these pads provide.

Minders 12-12-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherla (Post 19880004)
Mindy- so good to hear from you. :) my eyes have settled and are staying the same. I've gotten very used to it, actually. I made my christmas catds over the past few days and I find that im not so critical of little flaws anymore whereas before I would have thrown the card out and started over again. I'm awaiting the table top paper cutter for christmas from Francis. I was smart this year, I told him what I wanted and ordered it from Gail myself with his Visa card. Lol then, when it comes its getting a bow put on it and put under the tree. Lol I just bought my own christmas present. Lol I hope others have done that because u feel a little odd, but her usually gets me strange things (line a meat grinder). :)

How are you?

Glad to hear you're doing well! And I'm happy you're stamping:-) Have fun with your new toys! I think your present is the perfect way to do it, lol! Hubby tried to buy me clothes on his own last year....that didn't go so well obviously, lol! And he's learned his lesson, ha! But....I guess it was better than a meat grinder, hahahahaha! :-)

We are good! Both staying busy with work of course so same old same old!

Karen99 12-12-2012 01:08 PM

I just won the set of the new colored ink pads as the December hostess special. I got the brights. I am so anxious to get these. I was thrilled that SU! offered this as a freebie for us Dec. hostess gals. I am so lucky, and I look forward to receiving them.

Krysiad 12-12-2012 01:53 PM

Can you use the new ink refills on the old pads?

Rachelrose 12-12-2012 02:20 PM

Here's how I understand it - a demo might jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

You can use the any of the new reinkers on your old pads.

And you can use your old reinkers on the new pads with the exception of five colors: Basic Black, Basic Gray, Marina Mist, Perfect Plum and Tempting Turquoise. Those colors were reformulated for the new pads and so the old reinkers are not recommended for use on them.

binkiemonstermom 12-12-2012 02:28 PM

^ Yes!!!

basketballmom 12-12-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelrose (Post 19881146)
Here's how I understand it - a demo might jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

You can use the any of the new reinkers on your old pads.

And you can use your old reinkers on the new pads with the exception of five colors: Basic Black, Basic Gray, Marina Mist, Perfect Plum and Tempting Turquoise. Those colors were reformulated for the new pads and so the old reinkers are not recommended for use on them.

Awesome!
You're ready to become a demo yourself! :)

Minders 12-12-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99 (Post 19881046)
I just won the set of the new colored ink pads as the December hostess special. I got the brights. I am so anxious to get these. I was thrilled that SU! offered this as a freebie for us Dec. hostess gals. I am so lucky, and I look forward to receiving them.

I love how you said you won them, hehe! Have fun with all your new goodies! The new ink pads are da-bomb-dot com:-)

Krysiad 12-12-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelrose (Post 19881146)
Here's how I understand it - a demo might jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

You can use the any of the new reinkers on your old pads.

And you can use your old reinkers on the new pads with the exception of five colors: Basic Black, Basic Gray, Marina Mist, Perfect Plum and Tempting Turquoise. Those colors were reformulated for the new pads and so the old reinkers are not recommended for use on them.

Thank You so much!

Karen99 12-13-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minders (Post 19881299)
I love how you said you won them, hehe! Have fun with all your new goodies! The new ink pads are da-bomb-dot com:-)

Hahaha!! I did win them! I had a great hostess party for the month of Dec. I'm so excited! How many of you did the hostess party and get the free ink pad set? I'm just curious how many took advantage of this??

heatherla 12-14-2012 09:01 PM

Gail- I'm drooling over my table top cutter box lol. I had to take it out of the shipping box because I needed that box to send gifts to my parents house, so I'm sp close to the cutter. It's going to be so nice because cutting right now is very hard for me to do, obviously, it made me not want to stamp. Now with the new cutte- it's so exciting. :) ill be placing a bigger order later on, in the move I seemingly lost some things so I need to replace those things. I really want the new stamps now- I don't use the SU black but rather the Stazon black. Anyone else love the smell of that?

Question- what to do with old stamp pads?

basketballmom 12-15-2012 08:54 AM

Donate the 'old-style' stamp pads to a local school or hospital kids ward. Or keep them as backup. Or sell them on kijiji.

Minders 12-15-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherla (Post 19886188)
Gail- I'm drooling over my table top cutter box lol. I had to take it out of the shipping box because I needed that box to send gifts to my parents house, so I'm sp close to the cutter. It's going to be so nice because cutting right now is very hard for me to do, obviously, it made me not want to stamp. Now with the new cutte- it's so exciting. :) ill be placing a bigger order later on, in the move I seemingly lost some things so I need to replace those things. I really want the new stamps now- I don't use the SU black but rather the Stazon black. Anyone else love the smell of that?

Question- what to do with old stamp pads?

Just be careful! That thing is sharp!!!! :-) Ask me how I know....

And ME! I love the smell of Stazon...maybe that's what's wrong with me...too much ink sniffing, lol!;-)

basketballmom 12-15-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minders (Post 19887053)
Just be careful! That thing is sharp!!!! :-) Ask me how I know....

And ME! I love the smell of Stazon...maybe that's what's wrong with me...too much ink sniffing, lol!;-)

The tabletop cutter is supposed to be child-proof! So I'm asking ... how DO you know? ;)

The trick to smelling Stazon is to avoid getting it on your nose!

Minders 12-15-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom (Post 19887079)
The tabletop cutter is supposed to be child-proof! So I'm asking ... how DO you know? ;)

The trick to smelling Stazon is to avoid getting it on your nose!

Because I do stupid stuff like stick my hand under the blade:-) And it's supposed to be child proof? Really? How???? I think it's super dangerous (even for 30-somethings, lol).

cardmaker2 12-15-2012 03:37 PM

... I love the 'fragrance' of Stazon too! Just sayin' you're not alone :)

However I am struggling to like my black new ink pad. I have a couple other colours and they behave beautfiully but the black is so dry it looks gray. Not a nice black at all. I guess I'll pull out the black Stazon as you have suggested. But would they replace it at some point, do you think?

Rachelrose 12-15-2012 05:10 PM

I've never even opened my black spot pad, and I'll never buy a full size pad of SU black. For me, SU is all about the range of colors. For black there are so many other, better options IMHO

Minders 12-15-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2 (Post 19887809)
... I love the 'fragrance' of Stazon too! Just sayin' you're not alone :)

However I am struggling to like my black new ink pad. I have a couple other colours and they behave beautfiully but the black is so dry it looks gray. Not a nice black at all. I guess I'll pull out the black Stazon as you have suggested. But would they replace it at some point, do you think?

The black pads still have issues as do some gray pads (mine included....should be getting a replacement any day and will report if it's better). They have said they are working the basic black but I haven't heard any more. It's very smeary:(

ETA: Guess I should always log onto the demo site before posting, lol! There was a new update saying they have found a formula that is working better but does take about 30 seconds to dry but they are doing more tests on it now....and the WW card stock to make sure they are compatible....

SuG 12-15-2012 06:26 PM

wow I re-ink my old style pads quite frequently. I must like the pad to be juicy. This is probably why I love the new style. I just always have refills on hand for all colors. I use the refills for other things also.

Oddesigns 12-16-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minders (Post 19888054)
The black pads still have issues as do some gray pads (mine included....should be getting a replacement any day and will report if it's better). They have said they are working the basic black but I haven't heard any more. It's very smeary:(

ETA: Guess I should always log onto the demo site before posting, lol! There was a new update saying they have found a formula that is working better but does take about 30 seconds to dry but they are doing more tests on it now....and the WW card stock to make sure they are compatible....

I have 2 grey pads that are useless. The third one was much better.

I'm glad to hear the black may finally be good.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:03 AM.