Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   Eye shadow for cards? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/eye-shadow-cards-t561040.html)

4sure 09-14-2012 07:20 PM

Eye shadow for cards?
 
Has anyone here ever used eye shadows for coloring on their cards? Hope I'm asking this in the right thread-not used to forums yet,lol.Would love to hear if anyone has ideas for using these :p

FiP 09-14-2012 10:34 PM

Way back when I first started card-making, I did use eyeshadow, applied with an eyeshadow applicator, to stamped images. Basically the same as using the 'proper' chalks. (I am talking about the plain old dull kind of eyeshadow, not anything glimmery that you might find these days). I've heard alot that you should use a fixative (such as hairspray) on chalks/eyeshadow to set them rather than have them rub off, but I never have and haven't found it to be a problem.

lylacfey 09-15-2012 01:39 AM

Yes, you can. Essentially eye shadow is just mica powder. Most famous brand of mica powder in the stamping world is Pearl Ex. I use eye shadow just like chalk. I don't set it either. I also make my own glimmer mist with eye shadow. Just use the same recipes like your using Pearl Ex. If you follow any of the Pearl Ex recipes you can use eye shadow instead.

I know somebody will ask. Yes, you can use PearlEx as eye shadow. Of course, for legal reasons, Pearl Ex does not recommend this because Pearl Ex is an art tool. All the stunning eye shadow creations you see in high end fashion magazines was done using Pearl Ex. I own every single color of Pearl Ex. I have an addiction to mica powders.

Eye shadow is not acid free so I wouldn't recommend it for anything archival. I know some scrapbooker's do use it.

4sure 09-15-2012 03:24 PM

Thanks so much for your replies FiP and DeeAnn! I've never used Pearl Ex either so will have to check it out,making glimmer mist would be fun too (don't have either product in my stash!) Although I've been stamping for quite a while I'm new at different coloring techniques-am trying hard to use inks with sponges at present. Have lots of chalks but not had any success with them,are you meant to wet them,as I never seem to get any color onto my Qtip! I think this forum will be a huge help,you ladies are lovely how you help others:-)
Ann

4sure 09-15-2012 03:34 PM

That's interesting about the fashion magazines using Pearl Ex DeeAnn,how many colors do you have then??
Ann

EvaC 09-15-2012 06:44 PM

Who'd a thunk it..WOW! My daughter has one mighty big box of shadows in her bathroom. LOL, the next time I find my supplies in her room, she will be looking for her supplies as well,lol. What a great tip, Thank you!

tweedcurtain 09-15-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sure (Post 19689270)
Have lots of chalks but not had any success with them,are you meant to wet them,as I never seem to get any color onto my Qtip! I think this forum will be a huge help,you ladies are lovely how you help others:-)
Ann

Ann, sometimes chalk builds up a little bit of a hardened layer on itself. Take a craft knife or scissor tip and scrape across the top of the chalk to release it a bit, then try loading your Q-tip.

La Fonz 09-15-2012 07:37 PM

I too wondered about using eye shadows as chalks when I saw this huge colorful eye shadow assortment. See them here with responses.

4sure 09-15-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweedcurtain (Post 19689701)
Ann, sometimes chalk builds up a little bit of a hardened layer on itself. Take a craft knife or scissor tip and scrape across the top of the chalk to release it a bit, then try loading your Q-tip.

Thank you so much! Will do that :-)

lylacfey 09-16-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sure (Post 19689270)
Thanks so much for your replies FiP and DeeAnn! I've never used Pearl Ex either so will have to check it out,making glimmer mist would be fun too (don't have either product in my stash!) Although I've been stamping for quite a while I'm new at different coloring techniques-am trying hard to use inks with sponges at present. Have lots of chalks but not had any success with them,are you meant to wet them,as I never seem to get any color onto my Qtip! I think this forum will be a huge help,you ladies are lovely how you help others:-)
Ann

I have never wet my chalks. I use eye shadow applicators and makeup sponges to apply my chalk. I think it goes on more smooth. I have used Q-tips. I like it for the softer look but I do think Q-tips are more challenging to work with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sure (Post 19689287)
That's interesting about the fashion magazines using Pearl Ex DeeAnn,how many colors do you have then??
Ann

I have 24 Pearl Ex powders. I think that is the whole collection. I have 122 different eye shadow colors. A lot of those colors are in sets. :)

7thSister 09-16-2012 03:37 PM

One technique i like with the mica eye shadows is stamping in VersaMark and then applying the eye shadow with Q-tips or makeup applicators.

grannyof8 09-19-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sure (Post 19687535)
Has anyone here ever used eye shadows for coloring on their cards? Hope I'm asking this in the right thread-not used to forums yet,lol.Would love to hear if anyone has ideas for using these :p

Here R a couple videos that you may enjoy watching....shading with eye shadows
part 1 of Using Eye shadow to shade your Embellishments - YouTube part 1

edit part2 of using eye shadow for shading embellishments - YouTube part 2

RoadiesMom 09-19-2012 03:38 AM

What an awesome idea! can't wait to try it!

creatingisfun 09-19-2012 08:30 AM

what a great idea, i was just about to take out a lot of eyeshadows to the garage for the next yard sale hehe.
gonna hve to keep them now.

Louisa May 09-19-2012 09:12 AM

Bargain eyeshadows from CVS and Walgreen's (here in Chicago) purchased around Christmas are the most cost effective way I ever purchase mica powders. I do set mine with AquaNet hairspray (the brand that contains lacquer). I've never tried the other way, however --that is, using Pearl-ex as eyeshadow!

millie j 09-19-2012 11:50 AM

I purchase eyeshadows from the cheap Asian shops here in New Zealand. Usually in sets ranging in price from $3 - $5 NZ. I have one set that includes 8 colours all split into 6 different hues.
The ones that are a solid block are the ones to use not the powder.
I would not like to put them anywhere near my eyes but on paper they are beautiful.
Using my finger to apply them is the best.
The colour can be graduated and the colours blend together very well.
I like to use them on embossed card.
Start at the edges with a darker colour and move into the centre going lighter and lighter.
Darken the corner areas looks good too.
Flowers are easy to blend with the darker colours in the middle. Lovely.
I have a cloth on hand to wipe my finger with. Sometimes have a different colour on each finger. One hand is all I'm talking about here otherwise it could get a bit complicated. :o)
There is no need to 'fix' it. The creamy base holds it on the paper.
Give it a go, it will save you money to spend elsewhere.

4sure 09-19-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyof8 (Post 19696495)
Here R a couple videos that you may enjoy watching....shading with eye shadows
part 1 of Using Eye shadow to shade your Embellishments - YouTube part 1

edit part2 of using eye shadow for shading embellishments - YouTube part 2

Thanks heaps for that grannyof8:D

4sure 09-19-2012 01:22 PM

Thanks Millie j, I'm in New Zealand too and have several of those cheap Asian shops near me (plus a box of new eye shadows someone gave me.It was embossing that gave me the idea in the first place,so can now go ahead with confidence.Thanks for the tip about not needing a fixative too!

yup 09-19-2012 08:38 PM

use makeup all the time
 
dont do commerical stuff, only my own use, but I use make up all the time to color my cards. I dont usually use up my makeup before its shelf life and sometimes dollar store finds work well for me . just keep it light so doesnt smear but get some nice effects with flowers in backgrounds

4sure 09-19-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yup (Post 19698521)
dont do commerical stuff, only my own use, but I use make up all the time to color my cards. I dont usually use up my makeup before its shelf life and sometimes dollar store finds work well for me . just keep it light so doesnt smear but get some nice effects with flowers in backgrounds

Thanks for that,I never wear make up (apart from a quick swipe of lipstick,lol) so it'll be good to use what I have :)

lylacfey 09-20-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyof8 (Post 19696495)
Here R a couple videos that you may enjoy watching....shading with eye shadows
part 1 of Using Eye shadow to shade your Embellishments - YouTube part 1

edit part2 of using eye shadow for shading embellishments - YouTube part 2

She is very talented. I watched a few seconds of the video and her card was stunning. I saved the video URL's for later when I can really set down and admire her work.

If that was your video you are very talented. :)

Cartermrc 09-20-2012 10:46 AM

I've used blusher with a Q-tip for punch art faces so I'm sure eyeshadow would work too.

amberfite 09-20-2012 11:03 AM

subscribing :)

grannyof8 09-20-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfey (Post 19698611)
She is very talented. I watched a few seconds of the video and her card was stunning. I saved the video URL's for later when I can really set down and admire her work.

If that was your video you are very talented. :)

Nope. Not my videos.
I came across these videos when I done some google search

Rebecca Ednie 09-20-2012 07:19 PM

I can't imagine not fixing it. I'd be worried it might rub off on someone's clothes. Same with chalk.

lbcs 09-22-2012 04:59 AM

What is the recipe for mixing peal ex or eyeshow to make a shimmer mist?

grannyof8 09-22-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbcs (Post 19702916)
What is the recipe for mixing peal ex or eyeshow to make a shimmer mist?

I'm sure there are more, but here a few links I found real quick
Make your own Glimmer Mist! Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog


Message Boards - "making your own Glimmer Mist" - General Scrappin' - Two Peas In A Bucket


How I make my own Glimmer mist using eye shadow!!! made with eye shadow


Shimmer mist scroll down;several links on making the mist

Phillis 09-23-2012 01:38 PM

I use my blushes to give my stamped characters rosy cheeks. I scrape off some of my unused blush til it's a powder and keep it in a small sealed container. When I need it I have it handy and I spread it on with a sponged tip applicator.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:13 PM.