Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   Crafting inquiry (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/crafting-inquiry-t562153.html)

Paula Anne 10-05-2012 09:58 AM

Crafting inquiry
 
HI. I know this doesn't really go here, but I can't figure out where to put my question.

I am trying to remove the glue label from baby food jars. I have boiled them, alcoholed them, go gone'd them, nail polish remover-ed them and still I have a gooey stick mess from the labels.
Can anyone make any other suggestions to get this off of the jars?

thanks
Paula

CardLadyToo 10-05-2012 10:26 AM

White Vinegar

buggainok 10-05-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula Anne (Post 19731474)
HI. I know this doesn't really go here, but I can't figure out where to put my question.

I am trying to remove the glue label from baby food jars. I have boiled them, alcoholed them, go gone'd them, nail polish remover-ed them and still I have a gooey stick mess from the labels.
Can anyone make any other suggestions to get this off of the jars?

thanks
Paula

I've had success with WD-40, and also with soaking overnight in dish detergent (Dawn) and then rubbing with SOS pad.

Good luck.

Also, some folks said try Pledge furniture polish, white vinegar, and vegetable oil. (Not all together, separately, lol.) I haven't tried these.

jukie 10-05-2012 10:30 AM

I do it with a dab of dish soap on a cloth and let it soak in and then rub off.

Angelnorth 10-05-2012 11:42 AM

A trick my dad taught me is worth a try: fill the jar with hot water and let it stand for a few minutes (don't wet the outside of the jar, just fill it with water). The label usually then peels off cleanly, taking all the adhesive with it.

Sounds too simple to be true but it's rarely failed when I've tried it!

LancasterLurker 10-05-2012 11:51 AM

Toothpaste.

winnieu 10-05-2012 01:48 PM

I use Un-do an adhesive remover. I put it on and let it sit and then use the end of the bottle (scrapper) to remove..Then wash with soap and water. I have tried Goo Gone and it worked but I see that one didn't work for you..

KatarinaM 10-05-2012 02:51 PM

WD-40 for me too, takes it right off.

Kathlyn47 10-05-2012 03:06 PM

Goo-Be-Gone or Goo Off has solved this problem for me for years. I buy this in the paint dept. at Walmart. I soak a cotton ball and just press it against the label or gooey residue. Once its' saturated, it usually just wipes off with a paper towel . Sometimes the label just slips off. It can leave an oily residue, so I wash whatever I've used it on with soap and it comes clean. It's good for goo on clothes too.

QueenOfInkland 10-05-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelnorth (Post 19731676)
A trick my dad taught me is worth a try: fill the jar with hot water and let it stand for a few minutes (don't wet the outside of the jar, just fill it with water). The label usually then peels off cleanly, taking all the adhesive with it.

Sounds too simple to be true but it's rarely failed when I've tried it!

A nice, non-messy solution - I like it and I'll give it a try - thanks !!

tyshero 10-05-2012 04:29 PM

I've had success with peanut butter- just rub it on the label, let sit for a couple of hours or overnight and it comes right off.

fairsinger 10-05-2012 10:53 PM

I'm glad you posted this question, as I have a ton of these and have been trying to get that last bit of glue residue off, unsuccessfully. I want to use some for Christmas projects but first I have to get rid of that darn sticky stuff! I'm going to try some of the solutions mentioned.

JoBear2 10-06-2012 04:43 AM

I use Eucalyptus oil. Just dip a cotton wool ball in a little and rub over the surface and it removes any sticky residue.

Jill with a G 10-06-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathlyn47 (Post 19732073)
Goo-Be-Gone or Goo Off has solved this problem for me for years. I buy this in the paint dept. at Walmart. I soak a cotton ball and just press it against the label or gooey residue. Once its' saturated, it usually just wipes off with a paper towel . Sometimes the label just slips off. It can leave an oily residue, so I wash whatever I've used it on with soap and it comes clean. It's good for goo on clothes too.

Goo Gone is my favorite adhesive remover! I keep a small bottle handy on my craft desk. It helps clean off my desk and my tools if I get a little bit of adhesive on them! Great stuff! I have used it to take adhesive off of bottles many many a time! Works great!

Paula Anne 10-06-2012 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone. Going to try these suggestions now.
As for go be gone....thanks for all the suggestions, but it didn't work.

Off to try and remove this icky gooey mess!

Paula Anne 10-06-2012 09:47 AM

WD-40 worked.
But....now the jars stink. Since i want to put food in them, not sure what my next step is. I am going to google how to sterlize the jars and hopefully that will remove the smell and any oils.
eeeek!

dmcg 10-10-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a G (Post 19733242)
Goo Gone is my favorite adhesive remover! I keep a small bottle handy on my craft desk. It helps clean off my desk and my tools if I get a little bit of adhesive on them! Great stuff! I have used it to take adhesive off of bottles many many a time! Works great!

Yup :)!! Goo Gone is my go to product for all sticky situations...well..almost all..lol!

STAMPTAYLOR 10-10-2012 09:15 AM

I pull them hot out of the dishwasher, and use a scotchbrite pad, usually scrubs it off. I am going to look for the goo gone stuff, sounds like another option.

sandydittmer 10-10-2012 01:41 PM

The trick for Goo Gone (and other similar products), I have found, is first you have to use enough, and second you have to let it sit long enough (if there is a lot of adhesive). What doesn't come off the first try always does the second time for me. But if you don't use enough Goo Gone, it will just smear it around and make it even worse.

Sandy

LeonieW 10-10-2012 03:15 PM

I fill the jar with hot water and then place in another container filled with hot water so that it has hot water on both sides and then leave it for awhile. It usually works first time but if it doesn't I just repeat the process.

quiltmum 10-10-2012 05:03 PM

if you want to save a jar with a glued on label .... first and formost DON'T get the outside of the jar wet .... the new adhesives turn to cement. Try and gently peal the label off the jar first ... many of them will come off easily. If they stil won't come off I use goo be gone ... I swear that stuff is gasoline in a small bottle .... but it does work. If you use this product use in a well ventilated spot and don't rinse anything down the sink, throw it away ... in an OUTSIDE can.

fionna51 10-11-2012 05:14 AM

After using WD40 I always use a lot of dish soap to break the oils, then wash in the dishwasher.

Denise Trottier 10-11-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula Anne (Post 19731474)
HI. I know this doesn't really go here, but I can't figure out where to put my question.

I am trying to remove the glue label from baby food jars. I have boiled them, alcoholed them, go gone'd them, nail polish remover-ed them and still I have a gooey stick mess from the labels.
Can anyone make any other suggestions to get this off of the jars?

thanks
Paula

Try lighter fluid,rubbed with a scott towel or or other, it works beautifully after a few tries and leaves no residue...it may not work the first time but with patience all will come off eventually...I get great results everytime...
Denise Trottier

RAWS 10-11-2012 09:56 AM

Thanks for the gteat tip Angelnorth. Definately going to try this.

jeanne3579 10-17-2012 03:49 PM

I've tried Goo Gone and hot water inside for most labels. What I have trouble with is getting canceled stamps off the envelopes. They don't soak off like the lick-on ones used to. I like using stamps on cards, but this problem has me stumped.

Angelnorth 10-18-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579 (Post 19761206)
I've tried Goo Gone and hot water inside for most labels. What I have trouble with is getting canceled stamps off the envelopes.

Try some gentle heat (your embossing tool or a hairdryer) on the back of the paper the stamp is stuck to. If you can get a corner to lift that way then you can take over with some heavy breathing :lol: Seriously, breathe out through your mouth into the little gap and keep peeling gently and breathing some more. The combination of moisture and warmth works on many of these adhesives.

shazsilverwolf 10-18-2012 02:41 AM

Another product available for glue removal, and it is really good, is simply called Sticky Stuff remover. Blog Pic
Amazon.com link here . Its also available from Lakeland and Amazon in the UK, amongst others.
It has a nice citrus type smell, rather than a chemical one,and I haven't yet found any sort of sticky it doesn't remove. It comes off easily too- will usually just wipe off after leaving for a minute or two. A drop on cotton wool wipes any sticky residue off scissor and knife blades too.

jeanne3579 10-18-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelnorth (Post 19761890)
Try some gentle heat (your embossing tool or a hairdryer) on the back of the paper the stamp is stuck to. If you can get a corner to lift that way then you can take over with some heavy breathing :lol: Seriously, breathe out through your mouth into the little gap and keep peeling gently and breathing some more. The combination of moisture and warmth works on many of these adhesives.

Thank you for the tip. I just tried it on 5 different types of stamps with mostly good results. Patience is the key (guess who doesn't have much) as it takes going slowly and repeating the heating process. Some left little annoying scraps along the edge, but heating and pulling removed them with much care. Most were still quite sticky making storage difficult, so will now do this as I need the stamps. At least the stamps come out usable, which is the goal. Thanks again.

fairsinger 10-18-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579 (Post 19762834)
Thank you for the tip. I just tried it on 5 different types of stamps with mostly good results. Patience is the key (guess who doesn't have much) as it takes going slowly and repeating the heating process. Some left little annoying scraps along the edge, but heating and pulling removed them with much care. Most were still quite sticky making storage difficult, so will now do this as I need the stamps. At least the stamps come out usable, which is the goal. Thanks again.

Not sure if you've heard this tip yet, but I learned it on one of these boards: If you want to "un-sticky" a sticker, you can run your embossing buddy along the sticky side. If you don't have an embossing buddy, you could try cornstarch. I tried using the embossing buddy on adhesive on a card and it worked beautifully. Hope that helps!

jeanne3579 10-18-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairsinger (Post 19763162)
Not sure if you've heard this tip yet, but I learned it on one of these boards: If you want to "un-sticky" a sticker, you can run your embossing buddy along the sticky side. If you don't have an embossing buddy, you could try cornstarch. I tried using the embossing buddy on adhesive on a card and it worked beautifully. Hope that helps!

Funny you should mention that as I thought of it as I was putting the stamps away---worked perfectly. Another step, but all's well that ends well!

lyndaejane 10-23-2012 10:15 AM

As quiltmum says, the trick is not to get the label wet before your first attempt. You can sometimes dig off the label without leaving the adhesive behind, but often some or all of it will be left. From my experience, most products need two tries if the label is still there: first one to shift the label and second to remove the adhesive, so it's good to get the label off before you start: if it won't dig off, trying soaking it off. I use WD40 sprayed onto kitchen towel to remove the adhesive, moving onto other parts of the towel and re-spraying regularly because the adhesive glues up the part of the towel you were using. I find that washing the jar in my normal washing-up - possibly with a bit of added washing-up liquid spread on the label area - cleans the jar and removes the smell of WD40.

For postage stamps I've removed: if they're still sticky on the back, I store them on the empty backing sheets from address labels or postage stamps I've bought. Wondering if using embossing buddy or cornstarch might make it difficult to adhere them to a project?

Lynda

jeanne3579 10-24-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndaejane (Post 19773620)
As quiltmum says, the trick is not to get the label wet before your first attempt. You can sometimes dig off the label without leaving the adhesive behind, but often some or all of it will be left. From my experience, most products need two tries if the label is still there: first one to shift the label and second to remove the adhesive, so it's good to get the label off before you start: if it won't dig off, trying soaking it off. I use WD40 sprayed onto kitchen towel to remove the adhesive, moving onto other parts of the towel and re-spraying regularly because the adhesive glues up the part of the towel you were using. I find that washing the jar in my normal washing-up - possibly with a bit of added washing-up liquid spread on the label area - cleans the jar and removes the smell of WD40.

For postage stamps I've removed: if they're still sticky on the back, I store them on the empty backing sheets from address labels or postage stamps I've bought. Wondering if using embossing buddy or cornstarch might make it difficult to adhere them to a project?

Lynda

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. I never considered WD-40, but will give it a try for those pesky labels that won't come off with Goo Gone.

Mine didn't end up with enough stick on the back to stay on a carrier sheet, but enough to stick together somewhat. I plan to adhere them with tape or glue, so it appears to work even with the embossing buddy powder on it.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:04 AM.