Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning StazOn ink from stamps

Hi! Its my first time using stazOn ink and before I started my project, I noticed that on the bottom of the pad, it read, "Use StazOn solvent ink cleaner to clean rubber stamps". I had initially planned to use my Stampin' Up! Stampin' Mist and scrub pad but am now hesitant to do so.

Can someone tell me how to go about cleaning StazOn ink from my stamps please and if I am to use this solvent ink cleaner then where do I buy it. As well, can you give me some tips on how to use it (if its different that using the stampin' mist/scrub pad).

Thanks!
Spookybaby72
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't think the stampin mist will take it off. I know a demo that has used this staz on cleaner that she bought at a convention but even that did not take it off completely. Rubbing alcohol will take it off completely although I don't know how good it is for the rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

The stampin mist will clean it off, but the rubber will stain (like when using Basic Black). YoYo Yellow ink will take it off. If you do a search you will find lots of gals (me included) keep a YoYo pad just for cleaning stamps. A drop of the reinker and a toothbrush will clean out the crevices too.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I take a rag and a little dab of dishsoap wet it abit and it and it cleans right up! I would use a toothbrush too if the image is detailed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Let the ink dry on the stamp for 30 minutes or so. Take any other rubber cleaner other than Stampin' Mist and scrub it directly on the stamp and let it sit there for 10 minutes or so. Then use your scrubber & Stampin' Mist (or water) and it will come off. Your stamp will look brand new!

HTH, Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the Stazon cleaner that I purchased as a local stampin store. The rubber does still stain though, just like it does using the black SU ink. Versamark ink works well on stained stamps - ink the stamp and let the versamark dry, then clean the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wouldn't let the ink dry on your stamps...there is a reason it's called Staz-on!!

I just use baby wipes and the ink comes off right away...no staining!

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was going to mention the baby wipes too but you have to do it straight away, otherwise it will stain badly. I am so anal about stains on my rubber I hate them. Can't stand any color on my stamps, I clean and I scrub and I use Staz On cleaner until it is gone.

Reading that back it sounds so rude. So I will say that I hate ink on my rubber stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the StazOn cleaner, which I got at Michaels. It only costs $3.50 (and if you can't find anything else, you can use a 40% off coupon!). It's a bottle with a dauber on top, like a bingo inker. I tip my stamp upside down, rub some cleaner on it, and let it sit 15-20 seconds or so. Then I use a rag to wipe everything off. Then, I'll recondition the stamp by using my scrubber & stampin' mist. Seems to work well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default ink remover

I got the stazon remover too from a craft store and it works very well - I use it on anything stubborn that I can not get off otherwise. I would not soak it into your scrub pad though, it is oily and has a weird residue. I use a paper towel or a wipe or another old little scrub pad I have. Then stampin' mist at the end to take off the residue.

One of my friends said some kind of earth-friendly cleaner called "true green" or something like that with "green" in the name worked GREAT with no residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I bought my Staz-On cleaner at Hobby Lobby. After cleaning with that I use my mist and scrub--I have had very minimal staining. Good Luck and don't let the Staz-On dry on your stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Location: in a seaside cottage in Maine, IRL off the Beltway in Northern VA

Hi All
Okay I know this in not the best thing but I had some stamps that I let the jet black staz-on dry on (I know I know)
Well I used my nail polish remover and my stamps looked brand new. Of course I reconditioned them after I cleaned them. I figured the nail polish remover may have be a little harsh, but it did the trick, and I had it in my medicine closet.

Forget Regret Or Life Is Yours To Miss
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol with my stuff and it takes it off really well. It also takes off Brilliance ink. I then use the mist to recondition. I have a cheap scrubber that I have marked for solvent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I used the dishsoap on both my clear stamps and my wood stamps and it worked great! Thanks for the idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

There's a stamp cleaner called UltraClean and it's amazing for getting off black StazOn and any other permanent black ink too! It's marketed through Hero Arts now. It's kinda greasy and I prefer my Stampin Mist for general cleaning, but this stuff is amazing on stamps stained black. I have a separate scrub for the ultra Clean. It stays wet on the scrub too, and I rarely need to spray more on. hope this helps!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
There's a stamp cleaner called UltraClean and it's amazing for getting off black StazOn and any other permanent black ink too! It's marketed through Hero Arts now. It's kinda greasy and I prefer my Stampin Mist for general cleaning, but this stuff is amazing on stamps stained black. I have a separate scrub for the ultra Clean. It stays wet on the scrub too, and I rarely need to spray more on. hope this helps!

I use Ultraclean, too! It is different from Stampin' Mist but it will get all the stains off plus it cleans up my clear stamps, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The Staz-on cleaner has a sort of scrubber in the top, it will bring it off really easily. I have also used a strong solution of homemade stamp cleaner( the recipe is in a thread on here somewhere, lol), and that worked too. One thing- if you are using unmounted stamps on an acrylic block, DON'T get the Staz-on on your block. Over time it will attack the acrylic and cause it to go cloudy and crackled. It really depends on how important clean stamps are to you- Staz-on will not come off with other inks, so you won't get any colour contamination. If you watch any Tim Holtz videos, you will see he doesn't worry about clean stamps- the Ranger Archival stains just as much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

It always amazes me how a 14 year old dormant thread can suddenly come alive! Until a couple of days ago, this thread had had no posts since May 2005!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
It always amazes me how a 14 year old dormant thread can suddenly come alive! Until a couple of days ago, this thread had had no posts since May 2005!
That's nine years, but I get ya.

Shaz, the staz-on cleaner I've been picking up no longer has the scrub top-- it's in a spray bottle. Maybe the SU staz-on cleaner still has the scrubbie? I like the spray better, personally-- I always felt that after the first cleaning, the scrubbie top just put more ink back on my stamps than it ever took off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

It also Amazes me that someone back in 2005 helpful hint was to let the ink sit on the stamp for 30 mins before cleaning.

With Stazon Ink, I don't think you want it to sit on your stamps before cleaning Seriously......Just saying :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
It also Amazes me that someone back in 2005 helpful hint was to let the ink sit on the stamp for 30 mins before cleaning.

With Stazon Ink, I don't think you want it to sit on your stamps before cleaning Seriously......Just saying :eek:
I also don't believe dish soap takes off staz-on, because that's like saying it takes of sharpie and, well, it doesn't. Also, I don't think I want a dish soap that powerful to wash my dishes that I eat off of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I also don't believe dish soap takes off staz-on, because that's like saying it takes of sharpie and, well, it doesn't. Also, I don't think I want a dish soap that powerful to wash my dishes that I eat off of.
I laughed at that comment to. Dish soap does not remove stazon, I know from experience.

In the beginning, when I first started stamping I used stazon. Way I used to clean my stamps(before I had an SU demo) I would wash them in the sink with Dawn and a scrubby. I still had stained stamps. I would scrub and scrub, sorry nothing takes of stazon, Nothing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Syknacho, thats good to know. The last bottle I bought still had the scrubbie top- but you are exactly right, it does make a heck of a mess, lol. The spray sounds like it will be much better. I buy a cheap paint pad from our Poundstores, and use that for scrubbing my stamps clean. And an old hand towel for drying them off.
Reply With Quote Likes