Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   99 cent fabric idea! (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/99-cent-fabric-idea-t559935.html)

sc magnolia 08-25-2012 09:20 PM

99 cent fabric idea!

Did many of you take advantage of the 99 cent fabric on sale at Stampin' Up? I did, and now I'm looking for interesting things to do with it that don't require a lot of sewing. I CAN sew, but I don't LIKE to sew ya know?

Any way, I found the coolest ideas on Pinterest. I'm really interested in coiled fabric coasters. Gosh, I have a stash of cotton fabric, so I'm going to give this a try!
Fabric Scrap and Recycled Clothing Coasters | ThriftyFun
12 Days of Christmas Sewing/sewing gift idea/easy coasters | Nancy Zieman Blog
12 Days of Christmas Sewing/sewing gift idea/easy coasters | Nancy Zieman Blog

gregzgurl 08-26-2012 03:59 AM

Totally cute idea! That fusible piping seems really pricey to me, though. I'd probably go with a cheaper idea, like fusing THIS to the back of the fabric, then cutting my strips - now the fabric itself is fusible, and I can wrap it around regular piping cord, or I can cut it into appliques for t-shirts and sweatshirts or wall hangings or - dare I say it - CARDS!

I've also seen baskets and rugs made with the coiled strips - you just adjust the size of the piping cord to suit your project. The ones we made "back in the day" didin't use fusible anything - we just wrapped torn strips of fabric around the cord the same way you would when covering a wreath form (another idea for the fabric there, too), then coiled them.

Thanks for the reminder - cute idea!

sc magnolia 08-26-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 19643020)
Totally cute idea! That fusible piping seems really pricey to me, though. I'd probably go with a cheaper idea, like fusing THIS to the back of the fabric, then cutting my strips - now the fabric itself is fusible, and I can wrap it around regular piping cord, or I can cut it into appliques for t-shirts and sweatshirts or wall hangings or - dare I say it - CARDS!

I've also seen baskets and rugs made with the coiled strips - you just adjust the size of the piping cord to suit your project. The ones we made "back in the day" didin't use fusible anything - we just wrapped torn strips of fabric around the cord the same way you would when covering a wreath form (another idea for the fabric there, too), then coiled them.

Thanks for the reminder - cute idea!

Genuis!! Thanks!!!

fionna51 08-26-2012 04:39 AM

A coiled fabric bowl or coaster looks like fun...
How to Sew a Fabric Bowl - CraftStylish

fionna51 08-26-2012 04:43 AM

And one of these would be adorable!
Ucreate: Ruffled Tote Tutorial by Blue Robin Cottage

fionna51 08-26-2012 04:47 AM

I bought a bunch of the Candy Cane Christmas fabric, intending it for quilting, but we'll see. Something else may pop up! ;)

sc magnolia 08-26-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51 (Post 19643107)
A coiled fabric bowl or coaster looks like fun...
How to Sew a Fabric Bowl - CraftStylish

I pinned a bowl to Pinterest the other day. I'd LOVE to make one, but I'm kinda afraid of sewing something so thick on my sewing machine. I think I can weave the coils together.

SophieLaFontaine 08-26-2012 07:39 AM

Well, I didn't buy any fabric, and this is totally unrelated to stamping, but I would use the fabric (especially if it matches each other) to outfit a dollhouse with fabric wallpaper, curtains, bedsheets and pillowcases (just used tape; I never sewed as a kid), chair cushions, rugs, carpets. If I was really ambitious, I would use a small rubber band (around the waist) and make a skirt for a dollhouse-sized doll/figure (it wasn't pretty, but that's what my imagination was for).

sc magnolia 08-26-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine (Post 19643476)
Well, I didn't buy any fabric, and this is totally unrelated to stamping, but I would use the fabric (especially if it matches each other) to outfit a dollhouse with fabric wallpaper, curtains, bedsheets and pillowcases (just used tape; I never sewed as a kid), chair cushions, rugs, carpets. If I was really ambitious, I would use a small rubber band (around the waist) and make a skirt for a dollhouse-sized doll/figure (it wasn't pretty, but that's what my imagination was for).

Oh Sophie, that sounds sooo wonderful:)

SophieLaFontaine 08-26-2012 08:48 AM

Oooh, I just thought of another idea - you could take leftover bits of the fabric and tear/cut them up into little strips and use them as ribbon for bows. I'm remembering the very, very first (for me anyway) Stampin' Up! catalogues back in (around) 1997 - the cards in those catalogues featured a LOT of bows made with fabric (not ribbons).

sc magnolia 08-26-2012 08:51 AM

That is a WONDERFUL idea!!! Thanks! I don't have much ribbon yet. I'm trying to build up my stock of SU stuff. Fabric bows would look soooo cool!

gale 08-26-2012 10:28 AM

I bought 12 of the candy cane and 8 of the sweet stitches. And I'm thinking about going back and getting more of the ones I didn't get. It's a sickness. I'm going to make an actual quilt from these two lines but I have a couple of packs of another line so thanks for the ideas!!

sc magnolia 08-26-2012 02:30 PM

Check out this fabric flower necklace:
.: November 2010

And I don't really like to sew, but I've gotta try these keychains:
InkyPinkies: Twitterpated Fabric Flower Keychains
If I could manage to make a few, I bet they'd be good sellers at the craft show.

craftymomto2 08-29-2012 06:40 AM

I bought a bunch of the spring one, hubby would pass out if he knew how much, and I want to make a couple of quilts with it.

STAMPTAYLOR 08-29-2012 07:30 AM

Hey Mary,

A little cold water will revive him. I have 18 squares done on my quilt, only like, hmmmm, maybe 110 to go.

STAMPTAYLOR 08-29-2012 07:32 AM

And I bought the holiday fabric to make Christmas stockings for my monthly group. What I will put in them is still a guess, got to get the sewing done first.

craftymomto2 08-29-2012 07:36 AM

You'll think of something Patrice, you have lots of good ideas!

mamaxsix 08-29-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine (Post 19643634)
Oooh, I just thought of another idea - you could take leftover bits of the fabric and tear/cut them up into little strips and use them as ribbon for bows. I'm remembering the very, very first (for me anyway) Stampin' Up! catalogues back in (around) 1997 - the cards in those catalogues featured a LOT of bows made with fabric (not ribbons).

The strips make a great wreath too. You twist a wire hanger into a wreath shape and tie the strips on. It does take an awful lot of strips, but ends up looking cool.

craftymomto2 08-29-2012 12:17 PM

Any pictures of these good ideas?

mamaxsix 08-29-2012 12:27 PM

Well, I made my last one back in the 90's, but here's one I found by googling. She cut a cardboard wreath out instead of wire....that would probably help cut down on the # of strips you'd have to use to make it full enough.

mamaxsix 08-29-2012 12:29 PM

Here's another wreath tutorial with a wire hanger base. I did mine with my kids using Christmas fabrics one year. They made nice presents for MIL, SIL, etc.

craftymomto2 08-29-2012 01:07 PM

Those are cute!

angelglass 08-29-2012 01:17 PM

I couldn't find this on the demo site. Is it still available?

gale 08-29-2012 01:54 PM

Do you mean the fabric? It was on the customer site in the clearance section. You can add it to a demo order-just use the numbers shown in the clearance.

Joeknee 08-29-2012 02:01 PM

Another idea might be to cut it in strips, just small strips maybe 1" x 3" or 4" and just tie it around say one of the brass ring/wreath do-dad's you can get in different sizes at Walmart or Joann's. Just fill it up with tied pieces until it is full and fluffy. Then you can decorate it with a big bow or whatever on top.

I beleive the fabric is still available at that price too! Love this one, it is done with a coat hanger like my Dad used to bend for my Mom when she made her yarn wreaths at the holidays. I do know to bend these old hangers are a pain, but it makes them really cheap to make.

Joeknee 08-29-2012 02:03 PM

sorry ladies, I see that this idea was already posted... I clicked in earlier today and didn't post til now :(

Hey, I guess I can say "great minds..."

sc magnolia 08-29-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLOR (Post 19650571)
And I bought the holiday fabric to make Christmas stockings for my monthly group. What I will put in them is still a guess, got to get the sewing done first.

ohh I want to see when you are finished:) :D

craftymomto2 08-29-2012 02:15 PM

Look in the clearance rack area:

http://www.stampinup.com/ECWeb/ItemL...ategoryid=1136

bound4london 08-29-2012 05:57 PM

Oh, loving these ideas. I have a ton of fabric so this will use up 0.000000000000000001% of it. ;-)

sisterlala55 08-29-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsix (Post 19651053)
The strips make a great wreath too. You twist a wire hanger into a wreath shape and tie the strips on. It does take an awful lot of strips, but ends up looking cool.

You could integrate strips of coordinating solid colors to stretch your prints.

SophieLaFontaine 08-29-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4london (Post 19651712)
Oh, loving these ideas. I have a ton of fabric so this will use up 0.000000000000000001% of it. ;-)

LOL!!!!!!!!

sarahbe492 08-30-2012 12:17 PM

Jill Hilliard just did a full week of fabric crafting on her blog! My favorite was the quilted ornament which I'm dying to try! If her 9 year old daughter can do it, so can I!

sc magnolia 08-30-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahbe492 (Post 19653344)
Jill Hilliard just did a full week of fabric crafting on her blog! My favorite was the quilted ornament which I'm dying to try! If her 9 year old daughter can do it, so can I!

Thud!! falls over!!!

OMG I can't believe I didn't think of those!! They ARE easy to make and no sewing. I made them when I was a newlywed cause we needed ornaments and were both still in college $$ kwim$$

Fabulous idea!!!!