Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   70's era (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/70s-era-t569453.html)

Alliesmem 02-26-2013 09:28 AM

70's era
 
I am trying to make some invitations for a reunion of 70's era people. Early 70's.....
anyone one have anything that they would fit?
I could use either a whole set or individual images.

UnderstandBlue 02-26-2013 10:59 AM

Hi! I moved your thread to our General Stamping Talk forum where I'm sure someone can help! :)

CraftyMel2 02-26-2013 11:09 AM

I have an older SU set...I want to say it's called Groovy...I can stamp images from it for you if you like :)

gregzgurl 02-26-2013 11:52 AM

Since I'm one of those who would qualify for your reunion, I feel fairly confident in giving you a few pointers: Most, if not all, of us were not into disco - Grand Funk Railroad or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd would be more representative, in my opinion. Flowers and smiley faces were HUGE, ditto anything "organic". Anything referring to peace - peace signs, the word "peace", "Make love, not war", the hand sign for peace - ANYTHING is good (the Viet Nam war was a big deal for us - still kind of is). If you need some visual cues, the Austin Powers movies (while over the top) kind of nailed it.

I did a search for '70s artwork and this came up: Image Search Results for 70's artwork

dafont.com has a few good fonts that you could use to print your own sentiments.

I like Keep on Truckin' FW Font | dafont.com

and Bell Bottom Laser Font | dafont.com

and LMS Hippy Chick Font | dafont.com

A lot of people were experimenting with pot and LSD, so psychedelic images were huge, neon colors made their debut, etc. Tie dye was big, mushrooms were everywhere.

Inkadinkado has a set of peace signs: Peace Signs - Inkadinkado

I have the CTMH Groovy stamp set, but also found one on ebay: https://chrome.ebay.com/tablet/item?...&sk=SCH_472065

Hopefully some of this overly-long answer will be helpful...

ellesart 02-26-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 20029382)
Since I'm one of those who would qualify for your reunion, I feel fairly confident in giving you a few pointers: Most, if not all, of us were not into disco - Grand Funk Railroad or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd would be more representative, in my opinion. Flowers and smiley faces were HUGE, ditto anything "organic". Anything referring to peace - peace signs, the word "peace", "Make love, not war", the hand sign for peace - ANYTHING is good (the Viet Nam war was a big deal for us - still kind of is). If you need some visual cues, the Austin Powers movies (while over the top) kind of nailed it.

I did a search for '70s artwork and this came up: Image Search Results for 70's artwork

dafont.com has a few good fonts that you could use to print your own sentiments.

I like Keep on Truckin' FW Font | dafont.com

and Bell Bottom Laser Font | dafont.com

and LMS Hippy Chick Font | dafont.com

A lot of people were experimenting with pot and LSD, so psychedelic images were huge, neon colors made their debut, etc. Tie dye was big, mushrooms were everywhere.

Inkadinkado has a set of peace signs: Peace Signs - Inkadinkado

I have the CTMH Groovy stamp set, but also found one on ebay: https://chrome.ebay.com/tablet/item?...&sk=SCH_472065

Hopefully some of this overly-long answer will be helpful...


Sue,
Your assessment of the 70's is priceless! I also qualify as being from that era. Peace marches, Bob Dylan, etc. I still have my Mr. Natural Keep on Truckin poster! It's fun thinking back on those days. Thanks for posting.
Ellen

TexasGrammy 02-26-2013 01:26 PM

Well, thanks to the "enablers" here, I will confess to having been very familiar with the 70's. (Sue, you're making me confess here!) ;)

Until a couple of years ago, I still had the sheets that I had tie-dyed in shades of purple. Major confession there ... probably should hush now. eeeeeeeeps!

sc magnolia 02-26-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 20029382)
Since I'm one of those who would qualify for your reunion, I feel fairly confident in giving you a few pointers: Most, if not all, of us were not into disco - Grand Funk Railroad or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd would be more representative, in my opinion. Flowers and smiley faces were HUGE, ditto anything "organic". Anything referring to peace - peace signs, the word "peace", "Make love, not war", the hand sign for peace - ANYTHING is good (the Viet Nam war was a big deal for us - still kind of is). If you need some visual cues, the Austin Powers movies (while over the top) kind of nailed it.

I did a search for '70s artwork and this came up: Image Search Results for 70's artwork

dafont.com has a few good fonts that you could use to print your own sentiments.

I like Keep on Truckin' FW Font | dafont.com

and Bell Bottom Laser Font | dafont.com

and LMS Hippy Chick Font | dafont.com

A lot of people were experimenting with pot and LSD, so psychedelic images were huge, neon colors made their debut, etc. Tie dye was big, mushrooms were everywhere.

Inkadinkado has a set of peace signs: Peace Signs - Inkadinkado

I have the CTMH Groovy stamp set, but also found one on ebay: https://chrome.ebay.com/tablet/item?...&sk=SCH_472065

Hopefully some of this overly-long answer will be helpful...

Sue, I'm with you on the bell bottoms and peace signs. I wore them in high school, but by the time college came around, not so much.

I attended college from 1975 to 1979. My Sorority Sisters and I LOVED disco! We all knew how to do the hustle and would take up the entire dance floor and do it together (we were the largest sorority on campus).

We also listened to Electric Light Orchestra, Van Halen, Fleetwood Mac, ZZ Top, The Carpenters, Chicago, Steve Miller Band and Queen

gregzgurl 02-26-2013 03:07 PM

This is turning into a fun thread to read! I'm glad to see some "cohorts in crime" here - thanks for 'fessing up! SCMagnolia - I hear you on all of the bands (DEFINITELY), but I have the same thoughts on disco as I do on techno today - it's only "good music" if you're actually in the club, dancing. Just to listen to - no, thanks! In the early '70s disco wasn't as big as it was later in the decade, and I was a married lady by then (my first three kids were born 01/77, 12/78, and 10/80), so yeah - no disco for me! I was really, really good at The Electric Slide back in 1991 after my divorce when I went out with my sister and her friends...

Tinkerbell1958 02-26-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnolia (Post 20029590)
Sue, I'm with you on the bell bottoms and peace signs. I wore them in high school, but by the time college came around, not so much.

I attended college from 1975 to 1979. My Sorority Sisters and I LOVED disco! We all knew how to do the hustle and would take up the entire dance floor and do it together (we were the largest sorority on campus).

We also listened to Electric Light Orchestra, Van Halen, Fleetwood Mac, ZZ Top, The Carpenters, Chicago, Steve Miller Band and Queen

Oh what great memories. I too am of the disco era. Loved it, still love it.

jasimons 02-26-2013 04:25 PM

Macrame, for decor and fashion (purses, belts, jewelry) was popular. Also, fringed leather purses, vests.

maryrose 02-26-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 (Post 20029311)
I have an older SU set...I want to say it's called Groovy...I can stamp images from it for you if you like :)

I thought of this set, too. I think it would be perfect!

gregzgurl 02-26-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasimons (Post 20029876)
Macrame, for decor and fashion (purses, belts, jewelry) was popular. Also, fringed leather purses, vests.

Omigosh! I totally spaced on those! I still have my fringed suede purse (with my maiden name written inside in blue ballpoint pen, lol)!

Phantom 02-26-2013 07:11 PM

.

jukie 02-27-2013 07:49 AM

I thought of these
Google Image Result for http://www.littlecraftybugs.co.uk/images/XX%20GROOV.JPG
when I thought 70's - they are a cheap foam backed rubber set from the UK, not sure if they are available in the US.

But looking at photos of my siblings in the 70's ( I was a 72 baby) it was a whole lot of brown, and orange flowers, and prints...ugh! :)

TexasGrammy 02-27-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 20030050)
Omigosh! I totally spaced on those! I still have my fringed suede purse (with my maiden name written inside in blue ballpoint pen, lol)!

:lol: OMGosh! I'd forgotten those! I think mine was "donated" to purse heaven a few years ago ... but I guess I could be totally surprised some day. ;)

Alliesmem 02-28-2013 09:10 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of the peace signs myself. I think I might look at Michaels to see what they might have for peace signs or Tye Dye paper. (hmmm....maybe the shaving cream technique might work here)
To also admit, I had my 40th high school reunion last year. Where has the time gone! I can't be nearing my 6th decade, can I? And to admit that my oldest daughter had her 39th birthday this week is even more incredible to me!
I am glad to see that I am not alone in my journey to old age! :rolleyes:

My Pandora Station and my Ipod both are filled with songs from the late 60's early 70's, James Taylor, England Dan and John Ford Colley (sp), The Guess Who, Beatles, Stones, Chicago.....The list goes on......
I remember walking barefoot to the local corner to "hang" with my friends. Wearing my fringed suede jacket and my patched hiphugger bellbottoms, straight hair parted down the middle. (actually ironed my hair to get it absolutely straight. Thank god they invented the straight iron.)
Memories........

Thanks everyone.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:26 PM.