Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP :Trouble with SU stamp set

I would appreciate any insite to this problem as its the second stamp set ( cling) that I purchased from SU which does not stamp evenly on solid parts of the stamp. From the Halloween set the witches hat did not stamp cleanly, now I am having trouble with the" Eat Chocolate" set. Any thing BUT the chocolates which are solid stamp just fine. I used a new versafine ink and tried other inks but they are all the same. I am so frustrated and think I will no longer buy any of these stamps if they cant produce a cling that stamps cleanly.

I had hoped that this stamp could be used for many chocolate gift giving ideas, and now I am just so disappointed that this has happened again. Sorry for the vent, but just dont know where else to turn. Thanks for listening.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

The only bit of advice I can give is to use a foam pad (mouse pad) under your paper when stamping. I am so behind the times on SU cling stamps, I have not seen one nor do I own one, but I have stamped many times with cling style stamps. Hope that helps or someone with knowledge of this brand of stamp will answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I would appreciate any insite to this problem as its the second stamp set ( cling) that I purchased from SU which does not stamp evenly on solid parts of the stamp. From the Halloween set the witches hat did not stamp cleanly, now I am having trouble with the" Eat Chocolate" set. Any thing BUT the chocolates which are solid stamp just fine. I used a new versafine ink and tried other inks but they are all the same. I am so frustrated and think I will no longer buy any of these stamps if they cant produce a cling that stamps cleanly.

I had hoped that this stamp could be used for many chocolate gift giving ideas, and now I am just so disappointed that this has happened again. Sorry for the vent, but just dont know where else to turn. Thanks for listening.
I have a lot of the new SU rubber cling sets and I have not had any trouble with them. When stamping with them I do put pressure on the block and hold it down a little longer than I do the regular rubber stamps. Try this and see if it works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I have not had any trouble either. They are made with the same red rubber it is just the method of stamping that is different. Did you try the usual methods of getting a stamp to work, such as cleaning off the rubber with an eraser or a light sanding or my favorite stamping in Versamark first then cleaning and then stamping? Sometimes they rubber has a release agent on them and you need to get rid of it before getting a good image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

There is a protective coating on the stamp. The stamp molds in production have a release coating on them to make it easier to get it to release from the mold. All you need to do is get rid of the coating.

You can lightly sand it (it doesn't hurt your stamp), use an eraser, or stazon ink remover also works. I tend to first sand and then clean with the stazon cleaner. Works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I have also had problems with solid stamps, not just the cling style.

If the above suggestions don't work, look at your stamp from the side. Is the foam the same depth on the entire stamp?.

I had terrible problems with Dasher. I tried everything. Then I looked at it carefully and the foam was thinner on one side of the stamp. I unmounted it and put it on new E-Z mount. I would have returned it, but I had tried it so many times trying to get it to stamp cleanly it was stained and worn looking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure you're stamping on ultrasmooth paper, like the SU Whisper White.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure your ink pad is super juicy too.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for all your replies..
I have already done what some have suggested even before i posted. However I have to tell you that I did look at the gallery, and there are a number of posted pictures that are having the same problem I have, and others that are beautifully stamped.I stamped on a pad, tried 3 different inks, tried the sanding with emery board so I shall re-read all the advice and perhaps try the eraser. It did not matter whether I tried a new ink pad (versafine)or an old one and other brands the results were the same. I shall report back if I have some success. Thanks again I appreciate all the advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I too have found I need to lightly sand the more solid images. BUT the main thing that I've found I was doing was stamping really fast. If I hold the stamp down and count to 10 then lift up, my images are SOOOO MUCH BETTER! I still forget sometimes but it has made all the difference for me! I think it's something so simple we tend not to think about it. With solid stamps I think the ink really needs some time to saturate the paper! Good luck!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #11  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I just want to remind you of the obvious, but just in case...

make sure you tap tap tap and then LOOK at the inky side to make sure the ink is evenly distributed before you stamp. Sometimes you can tell that the ink is not completely coating the rubber and you have to tap some more.

Also make sure you are pressing down in one even press, no twisting, pressing down and count to 3. I've watched many people stamp and newbies tent to want to 'swat' at the paper (as Minders said) rather than apply pressure and let the rubber become fully pressed onto the CS.

Double check that you are using Stampin Up ink/paper or another high quality ink and paper, it DOES make a difference!

Another thing you can do is put the stamp facing up and apply the ink, from a corner of the pad, down onto the rubber. Again, looking to see an even distribution and coverage.

With large plain surfaces like you are describing (like dasher) sometimes I RUB the rubber around onto the surface of the pad, just to get the whole thing wet with ink, then go back to the pad and tap to 'pull up the nap' and keep the ink from having streaks.

You can try craft ink, sometimes you get better coverage, and because it's pigment ink, it's suspended in a "stickier" medium, dye ink is in water.

One last piece of advice, some people have sworn by the method of inking a brayer then using that to wet your rubber. It's never been all that successful for me, but you can give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #12  

I swirl my stamps on the stamp pad then tap it a couple of times to get rid of the swirl marks. I rarely get blank spots anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Trouble with SU stamp set

I have not had a chance to try the versafine or trying to use the eraser/emery board a little more as yet.

Almost everything that has been suggested are things I already know and do, and have tried when I first encountered this and that the crux of the matter. I have never had this problem with any other stamps except for the new Su stamps which are solid.

Hopefully if I persevere by trying some of these things again, I will have success. If at first I dont succeed, i will try, try, try again. I want to use this set for a class I am going to teach hence the frustration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I have not had a chance to try the versafine or trying to use the eraser/emery board a little more as yet.

Almost everything that has been suggested are things I already know and do, and have tried when I first encountered this and that the crux of the matter. I have never had this problem with any other stamps except for the new Su stamps which are solid.

Hopefully if I persevere by trying some of these things again, I will have success. If at first I dont succeed, i will try, try, try again. I want to use this set for a class I am going to teach hence the frustration.
I have not had any trouble with the new clear rubber stamps and I have been buying them since they came out. Like others have said I turn the solid stamps upside down, swirl the ink on, then tap, tap, tap, tap until I see the stamp is full inked. I also do this with the wood mounted sets. Hope you get things working for you and the problem solved. Just keep trying different things and you will get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, I've noticed you have to turn solid stamps over so you can see where the ink didn't stick.

I'm using an old set right now I got at a rummage sale about two years ago that I never got out of the box. It's called Baby Boutique and has some solid booties I'm using on thank you cards. I have to really tap, tap, tap, press, tap to get that solid image to completely stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with everyone's posts about how to ink and how to season new stamps to get the protective coat off.

Still occasionally I get an image that is not as solid as I'd like. I then smoosh the ink pad to get some ink on the lid, dip my aquapainter or blender pen in that and fill in the missing area. Depending on how it looks I might do the whole image or just the spot. It usually works just fine.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Default PLEASE HELP Trouble with SU stamp set

Well after trying all the things suggested that I did not do prior to posting, I am sorry to say I have not had any success.

Maybe I just have to accept that its as good as it gets. I even tried some of the things mentioned a second time. The only thing I have not tried is using a brush marker on the stamp. Tapping the stamp with ink pad or swirling, just does not put the ink in some places. I can see the spot, and no matter what the ink will not stick . What I have done on a couple of the practice stamps I did was to go over the inked image with a pencil and smooth out the color.

Thanks again for all your advice, it was much appreciated that you took the time to share your tips .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well phooey! That's not ok! Contact your demo and get a replacement!!!!! Maybe you have a dud!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #19  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Well after trying all the things suggested that I did not do prior to posting, I am sorry to say I have not had any success.

Maybe I just have to accept that its as good as it gets. I even tried some of the things mentioned a second time. The only thing I have not tried is using a brush marker on the stamp. Tapping the stamp with ink pad or swirling, just does not put the ink in some places. I can see the spot, and no matter what the ink will not stick . What I have done on a couple of the practice stamps I did was to go over the inked image with a pencil and smooth out the color.

Thanks again for all your advice, it was much appreciated that you took the time to share your tips .
Uh!!! You poor thing!
That's not supposed to happen! SU will gladly replace it for free.
Contact your demo (then have her help you try the new one out to make sure it's not 'user error')!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Default PLEASE HELP Trouble with SU stamp set

Well as luck would have it, I live in canada and am in Mesa for three months. I did contact my demo at home who is a good friend as well. She said she has also had this problem with these new cling stamps and made the following suggestion . She suggested I try using magic eraser on it and a little liquid soap detergent saying it would not hurt the stamp.

That did not work either. If I was at home I would ask her to take a look and perhaps get a replacement if possible. As it is I think I am out of luck, due to the time that I will be away from home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Well as luck would have it, I live in canada and am in Mesa for three months. I did contact my demo at home who is a good friend as well. She said she has also had this problem with these new cling stamps and made the following suggestion . She suggested I try using magic eraser on it and a little liquid soap detergent saying it would not hurt the stamp.

That did not work either. If I was at home I would ask her to take a look and perhaps get a replacement if possible. As it is I think I am out of luck, due to the time that I will be away from home.
Since the stamp isn't working properly (and I'll have to test mine - still hasn't seen ink) perhaps you could take the foam off and see if it will stamp with bare rubber. It could be just a fluke that you got an uneven piece of foam. Short of that, the only other thing I would suggest is inking with VersaMark, stamping off on scrap and let that dry, then stamp with whatever ink your trying to use. This method worked really well for a troublesome clear stamp. It may work to grab the ink better for your stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Default PLEASE HELP Trouble with SU stamp

Hey Cat, I think you know who you are talking to ....how's the snow in Edmonton?

I tried the versamark, but did not let it dry on the stamp first. I stamped on Versamark then inked it. So I will give this one a go. All tips appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Although you are away from your demo right now, it would not hurt to let her know what's going on with the stamp. Stampin' Up! does not always require a return when they replace something. It's worth a shot, particularly if you have had it less than 90 days.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Default PLEASE HELP TRouble with SU stamp set

I have been in touch with my demo daily since this started, and she has given me some additional advice other than tips posted here. She has also been to the SCS gallery ,and can see that there are pictures posted there with the same problem that I am describing....uneven coverage.

She also suggested I try using a non permanant marker, or alternately try using glossy accents on the image after it has been stamped.Being away from home I did not bring a lot of extras, but think I can find one of the stamping girls here with a marker to try .I just got the set days prior to leaving for my trip south, or this would have been solved .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

did you huff on your stamp, I have a stack of newspaper under my card that I'm stamping on and had no problem with dasher, but after inking I huff (blow) on it right before stamping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Default pLEASE hELP: Trouble with SU stamp

Yes I did huff on the stamp. I do not have Dasher, but I had this problem with the witches hat in the Halloween set as well..... but not as bad. I have never had any problems with SU stamps, except for these new clings that are solid.

My demo back home, suggested I might try crystal effects or glossy accents to see if that helped the look of uneven coverage, as well as a brush marker which I have not done as yet. Considering that there are a number of others with pictures posted in the gallery with uneven coverage with this same stamp, I am surprised that they have not chimed in as well here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

FWIW--when using stamps that are a bit more "solid" than outline, I have had greater success if I ink, stamp off, ink, stamp off, ink and stamp on CS. It seems to me that the rubber needs more time to absorb ink or something. When I do it that way , I rarely have uneven coverage. And yes, I am generally using SU inks.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Just a short suggestion. when I have trouble with solid stamps (Dasher, the witch) I ink them up with classic ink first and then color over them with the same color marker. I get great results that way.

I haven't had a chance to use my wood mountain chocolate set yet but when I got it there were some white "spots" on the rubber that wouldn't immediately clean up. If I have trouble with it I will return it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hey Cat, I think you know who you are talking to ....how's the snow in Edmonton?

I tried the versamark, but did not let it dry on the stamp first. I stamped on Versamark then inked it. So I will give this one a go. All tips appreciated.
How you doing down south? I'm in Calgary actually. Its been nice the last couple of days (+5) so the snow is melting. Hopefully you'll find something that will work for your stamp. I tried out my reindeer stamp and it seems to work fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Default PLEASE HELP Trouble with SU stamp

Hey Cat, Things are going fine here ,temp 21C today no wind and hubby just left for the pool. Maybe you can fit into our sons suitcase when he comes down from Calgary to golf. I heard you were thawing a little this week.

Selina has been trying to help with this stamp situation as well, but so far nothing works so I may just relax wait until I get home in April, and let her have a look at it.I have one last tip to try out and thats to use a brush marker on it to see if that works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hey Cat, Things are going fine here ,temp 21C today no wind and hubby just left for the pool. Maybe you can fit into our sons suitcase when he comes down from Calgary to golf...
I wish! I golf too - maybe if I lose some weight real fast I can fit in a suitcase. :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2011, 03:28 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a horrible time with my wood mounted Inspired Nature flower. Each time I stamped I had missing ink on the same places. I did all the suggested items and still no luck.

When I looked closely at inked stamp I saw how the ink was beading up on the areas that would not stamp. Out of desperation I scrubbed the stamp with a toothbrush and oderless mineral spirits (OMS, Gamsol, etc.) and then cleaned the stamp with Stampin' Mist and it removed whatever was coated on the stamp. Normally, I wouldn't clean my stamp with such a harsh cleaner but it worked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have found for beading ink it's best to use chalk inks on those stamps. Sometimes no matter WHAT I do they just will not work with water or alcohol based inks.

For images that are warped or not even, I will sometimes put the paper on the stamp and rub rub rub with my fingers and then lift carefull straight up. That usually works well.

There are a couple large stamps that I have that the only! way I can get them to stamp evenly all over is (don't laught) put the paper on the floor on top of a silicone mat (or mouse pad) and put the stamp on it and stand on it!
Reply With Quote Likes